Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

SeanW wrote: »
    This coming from someone who cannot see beyond the handlebars of his bicycle ... the irony indeed.

Here's a simple question: Andrew has a car and has shown himself traversing College Green on bike and bus. So that pretty much covers most modes of transportation. Now let's ask you something: what's your experience cycling in Dublin exactly? Are you sure your above claim is not yourself doing some major projecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Why the dripping condescension, loaded with heavy suggestions that scooters are a) childish and b) (and presumably much much worse in your mind) feminine?

It's similar to the "smoking is cool" attitude driven via advertising - the car industry has been reasonably successful at getting people to connect their mode of transport to their personal identity.

In the US it's much more successful, look at how unnecessarily large and inefficient their road traffic is. They look down on Europeans that cycle or use scooters, perceiving them as as weak and less manly. You also saw it here especially during the boom when people were 4x4s as an indicator of wealth and status.

The effect of this attitude is great for the profits of car companies but miserable for city planning and overall happiness of inhabitants. Make no mistake, if there was a door-to-door metro for everyone there are those that would only see it as an opportunity to drive their car on empty roads.

Electric vehicles are absolutely the future, for no other reason than fossil fuels are running out. Smaller electric vehicles like scooters, bikes and even skateboards make enormous amounts of sense for getting people around efficiently and pleasantly. Metro lines are for moving very large numbers of people, they simply cannot account for all point to point journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

sharper wrote: »
    It's similar to the "smoking is cool" attitude driven via advertising - the car industry has been reasonably successful at getting people to connect their mode of transport to their personal identity.

In the US it's much more successful, look at how unnecessarily large and inefficient their road traffic is. They look down on Europeans that cycle or use scooters, perceiving them as as weak and less manly. You also saw it here especially during the boom when people were 4x4s as an indicator of wealth and status.

The effect of this attitude is great for the profits of car companies but miserable for city planning and overall happiness of inhabitants. Make no mistake, if there was a door-to-door metro for everyone there are those that would only see it as an opportunity to drive their car on empty roads....

That's why you'll never see the car adverts with the reality of the gridlock and misery mass car commuting causes. It's usually someone whizzing down an empty city street, or an open road full of the joys of life, in the latest car model. The reality can be some what different.

For those wedded to the car as their own personal magic carpet to get them from A to B, it must be hugely disappointing to sit in a car for hours every day travelling in single digits per hour averages. But hey, they've worked hard for it.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    For those wedded to the car as their own personal magic carpet to get them from A to B, it must be hugely disappointing to sit in a car for hours every day travelling in single digits per hour averages. But hey, they've worked hard for it.

Of course and people should be able to drive if they choose.

That doesn't mean their choice should be prioritised for resources over more efficient means though.

There's a fundamental perception issue at play here though. There are some motorists that perceive busses and cyclists as "taking up space" without realising those people will always still exist and need to get from A to B too. Them taking the bus or bike is far better for them than taking a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

How many of those people were cyclists breaking lights?
    I note on the cycling forum it is forbidden to blame cyclists for any accidents they may be involved in...that summarises the mindset of bicycle riders very nicely.

Relax dude. What has you so upset with cyclists?

Are you a taxi driver by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Though not quite matching the aggression of killing 2 or 3 people each week, right?

How many of those people were cyclists breaking lights?
    None in the past 5 or 10 years, to the best of my knowledge - but feel free to post details of any such cases that you know of.

Relax dude. What has you so upset with cyclists?

Are you a taxi driver by any chance?

I think he has a Lycra fetish. Seems to come up a lot.

Additionally there should be on the spot fines for cyclists using footpaths,breaking red lights and travelling the wrong way through traffic.

Something like these fines perhaps?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/nearly-600-cyclists-fined-under-new-penalty-regime-1.2631593

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I think he has a Lycra fetish. Seems to come up a lot.

He's probably a closet cyclist. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Nobody wants to go to work on a kid's scooter...rail and metros have been transporting people for over 100 years..its a transportation system that works and one that people will use for years to come.

Meanwhile you can lock your bicycle to a railings like you've always done..i can't see Transdev building little houses for scooters..maybe you could buy a Wendy house and use that?

SNCF are happy to do so in Paris.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@48.8868143,2.1714898,3a,26.6y,353.98h,89.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shjWkwYzyuWohRshvkuKe1Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Zoom in behind the bus and there's a large secure bike parking area - pre-booked spaces

http://veligo.transilien.com/fr/articles.php (in French, but chrome can tranlate it for you ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

.Why dont all you scooter people pool your dole money and build your own houses for your scooters? That would be proper "green" thinking AND you won't be annoying the taxpayer looking for more and more outlandish concessions.

I'm happy to travel to and from work with my 4 empty seats..I dont bother anybody else and i pay my taxes and tolls.

TBH - I'd say you contribute quite a lot of bother to all the other folk stuck in traffic jams (just as they do to you) - you just don't realise it.

I've a very nice €40k car (purchased new 2 years ago) parked outside my house right now, because it takes me 30 min to cycle to work, compared to nearly an hour to drive in.

The reason it takes an hour to drive in, is because of all the single-occupancy cars trying to drive in at the same time.

For some it's necessary to drive in due to their work or other commitments; for some it's the most time-efficient way in; but for plenty they would actually be better off either using public transport or cycling, but simply don't want to.

Policy should be directed as pushing the 3rd type of person to change their method of commuting.
    It's actually better for them, and also makes the commute easier for those for whom driving remains the best/most efficient option.

And btw it's illegal to drive a scooter on a public road

Only a mechanically propelled one. The old-school ones powered by foot are treated the same as bikes.

Pinch Flat wrote:
    That’s the circular argument about bus transport in Dublin. People who insist on driving to the city centre say they won’t use buses because they’re slow. Yet they’re part of the problem contributing to this. There’s an attitude that I can do it my car, but when 100,000 other people do it it kind of screws it up for everyone.

Cyclists should have compulsory insurance, should be made to sit a proficiency test and display registration numbers just like car drivers so when a cyclist causes an accident or damages a vehicle they can't just pedal away from the scene without sanction.
    Do pedestrians need registration, insurance and licensing too, given that they cause collisions by stepping out in front of traffic all ipodded up without looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Problem - Dublin has unholy levels of congestion.

Solution 1 - tax cyclists off the road because lycra or something. Make it cheaper for me to drive my living room in and park it wherever I want because I paid for the car didn't I. Get rid of the bus lanes because more space for cars. Get rid of pedestrian crossings because they should also be in cars. Fill in the canal and make it an elevated highway. Traffic problem solved.

Solution 2 - discourage traffic i.e. cars. Problem solved.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Solution 1 - tax cyclists off the road because lycra or something. Make it cheaper for me to drive my living room in and park it wherever I want because I paid for the car didn't I. Get rid of the bus lanes because more space for cars. Get rid of pedestrian crossings because they should also be in cars. Fill in the canal and make it an elevated highway. Traffic problem solved.

Sad thing is, a lot of motorists would think this is serious. Don't underestimate Joe Public who wants to drive from his 3 bed semi in Lucan to the office door in Dublin 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Do pedestrians need registration, insurance and licensing too, given that they cause collisions by stepping out in front of traffic all ipodded up without looking?

Pedestrians are not Road users they cross the roads but they do not travel on the roads.

I beleive you were told this numerous times when you were trolling the RSA pages on FB.

donvito99 wrote: »

People don't appreciate orders of magnitude. In the past as car usage doubled road space increased to accommodate it. This has happened so many times it's hard to appreciate why the line needs to be drawn here and why it's impossible to just keep making more motorways.

Pedestrians are not Road users they cross the roads but they do not travel on the roads.
    Doesn't really matter what you call them - they cause collisions by stepping out in front of traffic without looking. So would you be pushing for them to have mandatory licencing, registration and insurance, based on your proposal for cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Dublin needs to go up. Until it does, in particular between the canals where young people want to live and work, this madness will continue.
    There are lots of young people living in suburbia who would gladly live in high-density developments in town if they were 1. affordable 2. well built.
    This frees up suburbia for families. It takes some pressure off our creaking public transport system.

Doesn't really matter what you call them -

It very much does.

they cause collisions by stepping out in front of traffic without looking. So would you be pushing for them to have mandatory licencing, registration and insurance, based on your proposal for cyclists?

So you've now deflected onto pedestrians to avoid criticism of cyclists?

Can pedestrians travel at 30km per hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

So you've now deflected onto pedestrians to avoid criticism of cyclists?

Can you put this claptrap to bed and provide some stats on how dangerous cyclists are instead of silly nonsensical posts?

Chew on this one while you search, it's the brake stats recorded from Transdec, the people that operate the LUAS.

https://extra.ie/2018/11/05/news/irish-news/luas-emegency-brake-550-times

Figures from Luas operator Transdev show drivers in 2018 have hit the brakes
    266 times to avoid cars
    223 times to avoid pedestrians and
    61 times to avoid cyclists in the tram’s path

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »

Figures from Luas operator Transdev show drivers in 2018 have hit the brakes
    266 times to avoid cars
    223 times to avoid pedestrians and
    61 times to avoid cyclists in the tram’s path

So roughly three times more for cars than bikes but there are hundreds of times more cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

literally hundreds of times more.

and that's actually over four times as many braking incidents for cars as for bikes. which is 'roughly three times' if you're not paying much attention.

literally hundreds of times more.

and that's actually over four times as many braking incidents for cars as for bikes. which is 'roughly three times' if you're not paying much attention.

Speaking of not paying attention..i've noticed a trend amongst cyclists lately of watching youtube on their phones as they cycle.

Le me guess..car drivers do that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Speaking of not paying attention..i've noticed a trend amongst cyclists lately of watching youtube on their phones as they cycle.

Le me guess..car drivers do that too?

I'm sure that's entirely true and not a complete bunch of hokum. You know, like your claims of cyclists not getting fined for breaking the rules of the road. Or the cycling forum not allowing putting blame on cyclists for accidents they were involved in. And who could forget the insipid drivel that was your claim that cyclists getting killed by cars is because of cyclists breaking lights.

All beautiful gems of highly polished nonsense and fabrication produced by yourself just a few pages ago.

Can pedestrians travel at 30km per hour?

Probably not. What's that got to do with their ability to cause collisions - which was your rationale for requiring mandatory licensing, registration and insurance for cyclists?

How do get to see the screen of their phone clearly enough to know what they're watching from the seat of your four door sedan? Wouldn't their phone be above your level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Shai wrote: »
    I'm sure that's entirely true and not a complete bunch of hokum. You know, like your claims of cyclists not getting fined for breaking the rules of the road. Or the cycling forum not allowing putting blame on cyclists for accidents they were involved in. And who could forget the insipid drivel that was your claim that cyclists getting killed by cars is because of cyclists breaking lights.

All beautiful gems of highly polished nonsense and fabrication produced by yourself just a few pages ago.

You missed his claim that pedestrians aren't road users. :rolleyes:

So roughly three times more for cars than bikes but there are hundreds of times more cars.

Where did you get 'hundreds of times more cars' from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

In some parts of the city there's more cyclists than cars dude! ;)

Anyway, get those stats to back up your interesting and amusing anecdotes.

Here's another (actual statistic) for you.

https://www.thejournal.ie/cyclists-dublin-3018953-Oct2016/

Gardaí catch 24 times more Dublin motorists than cyclists breaking red lights

• Advertisement

How do get to see the screen of their phone clearly enough to know what they're watching from the seat of your four door sedan? Wouldn't their phone be above your level?

Oh didnt i tell you? I often walk and sometimes cycle too...amazing what you can see when you open your eyes.

Advertisement