Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nope, got it done by an indy garage using OEM discs and pads that were bought from the local BMW dealer at trade prices. Paid €630 for front pads + discs incl labour. The indy doesn't fit non OEM discs anymore as he said they just don't last on the F10. Those quoted prices you got are crazy but to be expected from a main dealer.

Changing the discs has definitely solved the random shudder I got under heavy braking. I had my EGR cooler replaced in January after BMW decided to do a recall on all EGR coolers, it was given the all clear last year also. I guess they prioritized ones that were showing symptoms due to part shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Have you picked up the new car yet Wailin ?

No, Thursday hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nope, got it done by an indy garage using OEM discs and pads that were bought from the local BMW dealer at trade prices. Paid €630 for front pads + discs incl labour. The indy doesn't fit non OEM discs anymore as he said they just don't last on the F10. Those quoted prices you got are crazy but to be expected from a main dealer.

Changing the discs has definitely solved the random shudder I got under heavy braking. I had my EGR cooler replaced in January after BMW decided to do a recall on all EGR coolers, it was given the all clear last year also. I guess they prioritized ones that were showing symptoms due to part shortages.

€630 still seems saucy, were they €200 each for discs? Another €100 for pads I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

hooch-85 wrote: »
    €630 still seems saucy, were they €200 each for discs? Another €100 for pads I suppose?

Yea that's insane, I know it's a much smaller car but I got my rear discs & pads changed in the GTI for 193 last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

Could do with changing mine in the m3 but generally wait until eurocarparts have at least a 55% sale :D it's 40 at the minute (uk site)

BMW parts are mental prices.

I've a cheap (ish) Korean thing (2018 Sorento)........ guts of 200bhp and weighs two tonnes.......

Replace Front Brake Pads & Discs **Incl. FREE 1 Year AA Cover worth €189 with this option when booked online** More Info
    €337.19

Replace Rear Brake Pads & Discs **Incl. FREE 1 Year AA Cover worth €189 with this option when booked online** More Info
    €302.17

Front discs were €200 each. Pads were nearly €140 including the wear sensors and the rest was labour. Definitely not cheap.

Yea that's insane, I know it's a much smaller car but I got my rear discs & pads changed in the GTI for 193 last week.

Comparing apples and oranges though. BMW parts are expensive. I could have went with cheaper discs but they don't last on these cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Half thinking of putting my car up for sale after August to see what happens. There seems to be a shortage of second hand cars so might be worth a shot.
    If I sold it, I would have more flexibility going forward. Seeing Wailin go to a 540i has put ideas in my head.

What would I ask for a 171 BMW 520d touring? It is M sport with plus pack, comfort pack, technology pack, visibility pack and electric folding tow bar and piano black individual trim. 65k km and service pack. All good tyres.
    Car was over 80k new.
    It has some bonnet stone chips and one alloy scuffed. I was going to get bonnet sprayed but then I wondered would someone think I was trying to hide something and should I leave it?

I know it is harder to sell more expensive cars privately but I have had reasonable success before so know it is possible.

I certainly would not respray the bonnet. It can give the impression the car was in a front shunt or smash. Better off getting some touch up paint and tidying it up yourself. Either that or just leave it as it's normal to see a few chip marks on a 3 year old car. Price wise I would guess 30k to 32k maybe but I could be way off. There is a main dealer one with similar mileage advertised for 37k and you know how inflated those asking prices are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

maddness wrote: »
    That’s awesome

I agree. Think it's gorgeous but I'd prefer a cream interior then it's near perfect.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Half thinking of putting my car up for sale after August to see what happens. There seems to be a shortage of second hand cars so might be worth a shot.
    If I sold it, I would have more flexibility going forward. Seeing Wailin go to a 540i has put ideas in my head.

What would I ask for a 171 BMW 520d touring? It is M sport with plus pack, comfort pack, technology pack, visibility pack and electric folding tow bar and piano black individual trim. 65k km and service pack. All good tyres.
    Car was over 80k new.
    It has some bonnet stone chips and one alloy scuffed. I was going to get bonnet sprayed but then I wondered would someone think I was trying to hide something and should I leave it?

I know it is harder to sell more expensive cars privately but I have had reasonable success before so know it is possible.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520d-m-sport-plus-pack-auto/25198161

You are up against the likes of this so it's going to be hard enough getting a price you'll be happy with privately so I think you're relying on someone being after your spec levels and not having much choice. An 80k 520d must be rare enough. There's many in around price of the one linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Car was over 80k new.

I see GT Motors that seem to sell alot of higher spec 5 series appear to get a nice premium for the nicer spec.
    Its only when you go looking at 5 series for sale that you realise its nearly impossible to get one with all the packs added.
    I certainly wouldnt be pricing it against the Naas Road operators.
    There appears to be good demand for touring / estate cars and in that spec, it will be sought after.
    Would you consider offering it for sale including 1 years bmw warranty?
    I know its only moving money around as you would probably take less if you didnt pay for the warranty but some buyers are not aware of the warranty purchase option and that steers them away from private sales. So even to make them aware of that option cannot hurt.
    With full warranty and sercice pack, it should sell.
    Are you going to fair any better than with the 330e?

bazz26 wrote: »
    I certainly would not respray the bonnet. It can give the impression the car was in a front shunt or smash. Better off getting some touch up paint and tidying it up yourself. Either that or just leave it as it's normal to see a few chip marks on a 3 year old car. Price wise I would guess 30k to 32k maybe but I could be way off. There is a main dealer one with similar mileage advertised for 37k and you know how inflated those asking prices are.

Agree the car looks more honest without respray.
    I was thinking of putting it up for 33k and seeing what happens.
    it would have to be well below main dealer prices alright.

You are up against the likes of this so it's going to be hard enough getting a price you'll be happy with privately so I think you're relying on someone being after your spec levels and not having much choice. An 80k 520d must be rare enough. There's many in around price of the one linked.

That's not comparable though really. Touring with a massive spec plus electric towbar is a far more niche car that could be the perfect motor for someone. Plenty of bog standard G30 520d's to choose from but well specced touring? Not much choice there.

Sounds like a lovely motor though, I think I remember you saying it's Mediterranean blue which is a lovely colour in them too. I would say mid 30's, but it would have to be someone needing that particular type of car. Otherwise it would just sit there like my own and then you'll start chipping away at the price if you really needed it gone.

mickdw wrote: »
    I see GT Motors that seem to sell alot of higher spec 5 series appear to get a nice premium for the nicer spec.
    Its only when you go looking at 5 series for sale that you realise its nearly impossible to get one with all the packs added.
    I certainly wouldnt be pricing it against the Naas Road operators.
    There appears to be good demand for touring / estate cars and in that spec, it will be sought after.
    Would you consider offering it for sale including 1 years bmw warranty?
    I know its only moving money around as you would probably take less if you didnt pay for the warranty but some buyers are not aware of the warranty purchase option and that steers them away from private sales. So even to make them aware of that option cannot hurt.
    With full warranty and sercice pack, it should sell.
    Are you going to fair any better than with the 330e?

GT motors have some of the same cars for sale as when I was there in February looking at a 530e. Not sure they're moving them and he wanted 25k plus my 141 A6 S Line for a 171 530e

The warranty just expired but could be put back on. I didn't bother to do it as BMW wanted too much for it.
    I think Digiman had similar car and sold it privately so can be done.
    If I got low thirties I would be doing massively better than 330e experience.
    I have come to the conclusion you can't have any relatively new BMW and not lose in depreciation.
    It is actually a beautiful car and does everything. The spec is what makes it appealin.It has all the kit, is really comfy but I always get bored after a while. I am just thinking out loud really and would happily keep it but life is short.

I think my touring is a different propsition to that example. there are a lot more m sports around with few extras.
    Some people want a touring specifically which is rarer and the extra kit lifts it above the norm.
    I think a main dealer would put it up at a premium due to the spec.
    that said I could struggle to find a buyer.
    I sold my 2006 X5 in 2010 after having it up for weeks and no responses.
    then over the course of three days, three buyers ended up wanting it.
    You can't predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

GT motors have some of the same cars for sale as when I was there in February looking at a 530e. Not sure they're moving them and he wanted 25k plus my 141 A6 S Line for a 171 530e

Interesting - they look to have a steady flow of stuff up but might be smoke and mirrors.
    25k plus the audi - jesus. 25k wasnt far short of the price of the 530e. No bargains there so.
    Considering how these guys insult all around them with trade in offers, i think people dont hit them half hard enough when buying straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Might as well jump on the bandwagon of BMW sales/purchases here!

I'm interested in your opinion(s) on moving on my 161 F32 428i in favour of a 172 F32 440i LCI - it's a chunk of change in VRT (again). Apart from the obvious engine/power am I mad to contemplate it, given the familiarity of the exterior/interior?

Wouldn't mind I was in no way thinking of selling mine. I am happy out with it and has enough power to get around and for motorway trips to keep me interested, but the engine in the 440i is a massive draw to me personally, but is it enough for the € outlay?

Speaking of which I don't even know what the value is in mine, nothing remotely close for sale to make some comparisons. 66k km's, BMW Service history, NCT 2 years, Tax 1 year

mickdw wrote: »
    Interesting - they look to have a steady flow of stuff up but might be smoke and mirrors.
    25k plus the audi - jesus. 25k wasnt far short of the price of the 530e. No bargains there so.
    Considering how these guys insult all around them with trade in offers, i think people dont hit them half hard enough when buying straight.

Had the 530e priced at 39k so it was 14k for my own. Like for like the cars were more or less same price new so just didn't tally up for me. The 530e was lovely car but at this stage I think I'm going to wait until I can sell mine privately for about 10k and buy something around 20-25k coming up 3 years or so for 10-15k outlay. I can stomach that but not any more. Luckily I like my car so no rush

ciarsd wrote: »
    Apart from the obvious engine/power am I mad to contemplate it, given the familiarity of the exterior/interior?

In my opinion, definitely not. I did a similar move a few years ago and went from a 2013 525d f11 to a 2014 535d f10. Same model car (different bodystyle obviously) but better spec and the engine was streets ahead so it felt like a completely different car.

It's not even so much the power difference between your 428i and 440i. Obviously it's quicker, but not enough to blow you away. It's the engine characteristics that make the car. Silky smooth with a lovely noise from it when you push it hard. Kearys have one that's for sale now a long time. Be worth the spin down to test drive it and compare to your own, and get a laugh off their trade in offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Buying OEM discs and pads online and having someone fit them is the best way to do it for BMW brakes, the parts aren't actually a rip off doing it that way.

I'm interested in your opinion(s) on moving on my 161 F32 428i in favour of a 172 F32 440i LCI - it's a chunk of change in VRT (again). Apart from the obvious engine/power am I mad to contemplate it, given the familiarity of the exterior/interior?

Wouldn't mind I was in no way thinking of selling mine. I am happy out with it and has enough power to get around and for motorway trips to keep me interested, but the engine in the 440i is a massive draw to me personally, but is it enough for the € outlay?

Speaking of which I don't even know what the value is in mine, nothing remotely close for sale to make some comparisons. 66k km's, BMW Service history, NCT 2 years, Tax 1 year

I think it’s a great move, the 4 series are lovely cars and if you like your current car you will love a 440i.

Agree the car looks more honest without respray.

Don't go at it with touch up paint either, in most cases it'll look much worse afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Wailin wrote: »
    !

Is today the big day?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The cost to change will be scandalous through a dealer I reckon. You aren't going from 4 pot diesel to six pot petrol. I'd stick with what you have and change when the gap has lowered a lot..

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The cost to change will be scandalous through a dealer I reckon. You aren't going from 4 pot diesel to six pot petrol. I'd stick with what you have and change when the gap has lowered a lot..

He has a 428i...

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to hear why the salesman thinks your 428i is worth very little and the 440i for sale is worth a very large sum and try charge you a fortune to come up a year and up the engine range too.
    Cant use the diesel out of favour line, any guesses what it will be??
    Any guesses what the cost to change will be?
    I'm gonna guess 25k
    In fairness the price when new is quite a gap between the two as well.

Advertisement