Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass exodus to Dairying !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭mf240

Bullocks wrote: »
    If I was to go back milking just having my own company would be a huge bonus.
    Cows are way easier talk to than some of the dicks walking this earth these days!

When working in an office you cant take the odd wanker to the factory. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Over a 15 year payback for the rotary if running costs where factored in, your looking at needing over 3.5 cent for every litre of milk produced on the farm for the 15 years to pay for it, its doable in a good year but a bad year our two pricewise and weatherwise and it would put some financial strain on a farm

If Glanbia would pay a fair price he'd have it for free so!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

cosatron wrote: »
    What allot of lads don’t understand is dairy farming is a way of life and if you don’t enjoy everything involved with dairy farming, your wasting your time

Noticed that with a couple of lads i do work for they are not able for the work pressure they are after putting thereselves in for, its like anything if you do not enjoy it puts family, buisness unbearable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Heres a list by county of dairying..Cork huge amount out in front..then Tipperary ,Limerick, Kerry..

And they go after the poor auld suckler cow for the green house gases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

einn32 wrote: »
    I know around my home place there is one man milking 50 cows on 100 acres of tough land in a wet year and does all his own machinery work and repairs. In his 50's. Another lad is milking 80 cows with his brother in their 50's. He probably has close to 200 acres. They just do the milking really now and said to me once he stopped investing a few years ago. He is in his 50's too. Then another guy is working full time and his parents milk for him during the week. He put a lot of money in to the farm. He is probably in his 40's milking 100 cows maybe. The rest is all minimal stocked beef farms. There is a few big operations further away but I don't know anyone who has converted to dairy. In fact it has mostly been people who milked for years selling out and going to minimal stocked beef.

A little bit away from me is a lad taking over the father place. He is mid twenties,father in early seventies. They have about 250 acres about 150 near enough the parlour. At present they milk 100ish cows and a beef operation. Cows milking about 5500 litres

Really low cost operation silage cut early June, all baled and hauled by themselves slurry as well. Young lad went to Teagasc advised up cow numbers, reseed, cut silage mid may bla bla bla.

Another farmer looked at the place his advice was soil test farm and get fertility right. Spray all grass land for weeds yearly over next 2-3 years. Start stitching some of the pastures. Get first cut silage date back to before 22-25th May Improve cow genetics of cows to get to 6000 litres/cow and increase F&P as well. Get a contractor to spread slurry and do silage. Stick with bales if they like and do haulage only themselves by getting a 10 bale carrier rather than flat trailers

On the beef side they were finished heifers at 18-20 months and cull cows off grass on an out farm and finishing bullocks out of the shed. His advice was change to a good quality AA bull with the aim to kill nearly all bullocks and heifers off grass at 18-20 months

Look at the second farmers advice output will increase by 200/ cow and it may reduce costs by 50-70/ cow in the dairy operation. Beef operation will be streamlined and returns will be much the same as at present or a tad better. He plan also takes a lot if labour out of the enterprise as well as being a fairly simple low cost upscaling of it

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Gods Gift wrote: »
    And they go after the poor auld suckler cow for the green house gases.

There reasoning is the average dairy cow has an output of over 2k and a Suckler cow about 7-800 euro

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Since I've decided to take the leap into dairy a lot of friends in the Midlands are changing who were beef men to the core. A lot of 70-100 cow units will start. For me it was my only option or lease out the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Since I've decided to take the leap into dairy a lot of friends in the Midlands are changing who were beef men to the core. A lot of 70-100 cow units will start. For me it was my only option or lease out the farm.

We're u not happy with the sheep? You had all fenced and a handling yard? Same position here with sheep and cattle thought about cows but fragmented farm and between the investment needed and the labour involved i put it on ice,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

A little bit away from me is a lad taking over the father place. He is mid twenties,father in early seventies. They have about 250 acres about 150 near enough the parlour. At present they milk 100ish cows and a beef operation. Cows milking about 5500 litres

Really low cost operation silage cut early June, all baled and hauled by themselves slurry as well. Young lad went to Teagasc advised up cow numbers, reseed, cut silage mid may bla bla bla.

Another farmer looked at the place his advice was soil test farm and get fertility right. Spray all grass land for weeds yearly over next 2-3 years. Start stitching some of the pastures. Get first cut silage date back to before 22-25th May Improve cow genetics of cows to get to 6000 litres/cow and increase F&P as well. Get a contractor to spread slurry and do silage. Stick with bales if they like and do haulage only themselves by getting a 10 bale carrier rather than flat trailers

On the beef side they were finished heifers at 18-20 months and cull cows off grass on an out farm and finishing bullocks out of the shed. His advice was change to a good quality AA bull with the aim to kill nearly all bullocks and heifers off grass at 18-20 months

Look at the second farmers advice output will increase by 200/ cow and it may reduce costs by 50-70/ cow in the dairy operation. Beef operation will be streamlined and returns will be much the same as at present or a tad better. He plan also takes a lot if labour out of the enterprise as well as being a fairly simple low cost upscaling of it

We've been members of teagasc a long time and the advice was never to increase cow numbers.
    It was always to get the core business /basics right first.
    I've never heard an advisor just blatantly say up cow numbers

Fresh reseeds will do as much for increasing milk yield as improving breeding like you suggested to the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We've been members of teagasc a long time and the advice was never to increase cow numbers.
    It was always to get the core business /basics right first.
    I've never heard an advisor just blatantly say up cow numbers

Fresh reseeds will do as much for increasing milk yield as improving breeding like you suggested to the lad

You only hear about the one advisor giving bad advice (usually hear it secondhand) not about the ten giving good advice.
    An example of this is that my father got the advisor out here in the 70s, he was advised to put out 2 ton/acre of lime, I was away spreading farm yard manure so didn't meet the advisor, he went to the marts after and the bar stool experts told him not to put any out as we were high molybdemum, so he didn't
    Six mths later I met the advisor, I told him what happened, he said it needed 4 ton/ acre and recommended 2 ton because of high molybdemum.
    See where the second hand information gets ya. Myself and the ould fella had some argument because he didn't ignore the idiots around the mart

• Advertisement

We're u not happy with the sheep? You had all fenced and a handling yard? Same position here with sheep and cattle thought about cows but fragmented farm and between the investment needed and the labour involved i put it on ice,

Yeah it was fenced and handling facilities were there. The sheds needed to be redone and there wasn't enough of an income for myself and my parents. Also the enjoyment of working with sheep was gone. Neither myself or parents weren't interested in them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

It would be interesting to take all the dairy farmers in each county and compare their profitability, hours worked etc if they are teagasc/dg members or not. You certainly have plenty of lads who are doing a fine job without the influence of teagasc, and productive criticism of the teagasc model is useful in the grand scale, but across the board I could nearly guarantee going the lads who are in teagasc and a dg will be better off on average.

Timmaay wrote: »
    It would be interesting to take all the dairy farmers in each county and compare their profitability, hours worked etc if they are teagasc/dg members or not. You certainly have plenty of lads who are doing a fine job without the influence of teagasc, and productive criticism of the teagasc model is useful in the grand scale, but across the board I could nearly guarantee going the lads who are in teagasc and a dg will be better off on average.

Most people started by being educated by teagasc and then with experience you move on,
    There's not a lot happening in sheep/beef production so there's a level where you learn more in discussion groups from the experience of others in the group than from the facilitator.
    There's cute hoors out there too that boast about never touching teagasc or the journal, Their farm sometimes reflects their attitude. Some farmers have a natural ability (you don't need to be a genius to farm) but there's some that really need the help and would benefit hugely from being in a group with good operators. One of those cute hoors came to me one day telling me that he forgot to send in his SFP application, It was lovely to tell him than if he bought the journal or in teagasc dg he wouldn't have forgot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I heard a very wealthy and successful business man say once, about going on a training course - if you only learned one thing, it would be worth your while going.
    I think the longer you are at something and the more you learn, the more likely you are to ask someone for their opinion.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

You could have rented it for 10 yrs tax free instead of looking at cows tits for the rest of your days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You could have rented it for 10 yrs tax free instead of looking at cows tits for the rest of your days.

Maybe he likes looking at cows tits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Yeah it was fenced and handling facilities were there. The sheds needed to be redone and there wasn't enough of an income for myself and my parents. Also the enjoyment of working with sheep was gone. Neither myself or parents weren't interested in them anymore.

Fair play for making the switch best of luck to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »

That's the trouble with generalisations!!

I'd say we all know a farmer who's on their second or third dairy farm. In the discussion group and small high ebi cows with a bull bred for ai, calves lucky to sell for a fiver.
    But a failed marriage from never being at home.

It's all about balance.

And have to work for someone else probably stuck in an office.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I heard a very wealthy and successful business man say once, about going on a training course - if you only learned one thing, it would be worth your while going.
    I think the longer you are at something and the more you learn, the more likely you are to ask someone for their opinion.

We say it to our youngsters here: "Big boys ask for help"

Re training: I used to give workshops on train-the-trainer in a previous off-farm job and we always left space for "unintended learning consequences". Whatever about what you're supposed to learn on any training course, if someone is interested and open to learning, they will always pick up something on a training course. Even if it's what not to do, or what's not for them.

I did my green cert with Teagasc in 2018-19 and was happy with it overall. But I wouldn't join their advisory service now, not after speaking to a few of the advisors who cover our area. But I don't doubt there are some top advisors out there - just not in our area, in my experience.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Yes I could and get well paid to sit down and enjoy my free time but I don't want too. I want to build on what my parents gave me. I want to farm because I love it. I don't want a 9 to 5 job.

Speak about Teagasc I think the new entrants to dairying course is a good course to join, you pick up handy bits of information, mainly off other farmers instead of the advisor. I think teagasc have this idea of pushing farms to the last. That isn't my style I want to start with a manageable number and go to my target number over a period of 5 years not 5 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

well there was a lad in carnew mart selling 5 year old 950 kg Hereford bullocks for over 2000 euros each and not a moutfull of meal gone into them

Shur where would you be going milking cows :D

Stick at the cattle..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Mortelaro wrote: »
    well there was a lad in carnew mart selling 5 year old 950 kg Hereford bullocks for over 2000 euros each and not a moutfull of meal gone into them

Shur where would you be going milking cows :D

Stick at the cattle..

5 years is a long time to be waiting for a pay check

kerryjack wrote: »
    5 years is a long time to be waiting for a pay check

You still have expenses, grass costs money to grow and silage costs extra to make. If you feed a barley/ maize/ hulls mix at 220/ton 300 kgs costs 44euro. Never feed ration to stores. 340 kg DW hex bullock O+ at sub 30 months makes 1350 euro at present. So 650 euro to carry him 3 extra years fortune to be made there. At 950 kgs LW he should definitely be an R.

Slava Ukrainii

You still have expenses, grass costs money to grow and silage costs extra to make. If you feed a barley/ maize/ hulls mix at 220/ton 300 kgs costs 44euro. Never feed ration to stores. 340 kg DW hex bullock O+ at sub 30 months makes 1350 euro at present. So 650 euro to carry him 3 extra years fortune to be made there. At 950 kgs LW he should definitely be an R.

A neighbour is breeding and feeding Wagyus now and getting €6/kg so getting €2000 for 340 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

:p
    wrangler wrote: »
    A neighbour is breeding and feeding Wagyus now and getting €6/kg so getting €2000 for 340 kg

Would you get wagyu to that weight?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

:p

Would you get wagyu to that weight?

Not pure.....
    Wagyus out of lim and angus cows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Does he feed much meal?

It grand as long as it works for him. However we have been down this road with deer, Ostrich, Llamas and buffalo. It great if you get in early and make money from producing breeding stock as well. But lots of lads lost there shirts following the next fad that came along

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Does he feed much meal?

Don't know anything about them, but he's one of the top drystock farmers around here and used to supply Pettits with limousin cattle in the past.
    So he won't do anything stupid

Advertisement