Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

My son is after this Oculus thing for christmas he has a few quid saved and i said id give him the rest to get it, i didnt even know there was a new one coming out. Can anyone give me a steer here on what i need to know about it because i havent a clue about Oculus! I was going to buy the rift off the Oculus website because it said it was the PC one, until i read this! I know his PC can use the current one, i checked the specs on the website. The new one doesnt need to connect to a PC?

Just so i can make this post retro related you should be able to run the Nintendo Virtual Boy emulator on the Quest 2 (Unless they block side loading apps.) ;) Can be done currently with the Oculus Go and Quest 1 and has the same stereoscopic effect.

So anyway the Oculus Quest 1 and 2 are standalone headsets that run a customised version of Android which can run VR games, apps, experiences etc from the Oculus Quest Store.

You can also run Netflix, Amazon Prime, or your own video files in various VR environments.

You do not need a gaming PC to use it.

Butif you want, you can connect the Quest 1 / 2 to a gaming PC also with a USB C cable to play PCVR games also.

Also if you have a router dedicated with Wirelss N or AC speeds you can play PCVR games completely wirelessly through a paid app called Virtual Desktop, or a free one called ALVR.

The Oculus Rift S on the other hand is being discontinued soon and its solely a PCVR headset, in that it connects to a gaming PC and thats it.
    It cannot be used standalone.

So with the Quest you get the best of both worlds.
    The quest 2 is probably your best bet as they dont have to use it with a gaming PC (but you can if you want to).

The downside is you need a real Facebook account to login, and need a smart phone running the Oculus app to set it up initially.
    If you have payment info on your account you can stop the kiddo buying games willy nilly by having a 4 digit code which will be asked for in the headset when making purchases.

If you have any more questions send me a PM and theres always the Virtual Reality forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thanks a lot i appreciate that, ill head over and have a read of the forum now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The mandatory Facebook account is a dealbreaker for me. Ars technica reviewed it recently, not very impressed with it.

The mandatory Facebook account is a dealbreaker for me. Ars technica reviewed it recently, not very impressed with it.

Yeah the ars technica review seemed a bit nit picky and focusing a bit too much on the negatives I thought. Its getting praise from practically every other source though.

The 3 downgsides are the mandatory facebook login, the IPD adjusmtent limited to 3 presets and the head strap.
    If you can live with those its a bargain.
    If you want something really comfortable youre talking an extra 50 quid for the Elite Headstrap, unless a cheaper 3rd Party alternative comes.

Anyway back to Retro, before Ciderman eats the head off me! :pac:

Here's my 2 gets today, the c64 Mini for 12 quid and Neo Geo mini which I originally bought for someone else but have now decided to keep....

527445.jpg

.... Just kidding, it will be on its way soon! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,854 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Great prices on those Doge!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Even I'd go for the brown mini for that price. Great buy.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jaysus... Don't do that to me!

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Great prices on those Doge!

All thanks goes to Corholio for spotting them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Doge wrote: »
    All thanks goes to Corholio for spotting them first.

Glad you got some! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

IMG-20200928-153122-3.jpg

IMG-20200928-190826-7.jpg

Got this recently, a conversion. First impression is that it's a lot easier than the original. Good game all the same.

Also, thought this was neat for what it is,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

After a good few plays now I can say that the first level is easier than the original, but the difficulty jumps up big time. Currently trying to get past level 3, not easy!

All in all rtype 2 is actually a stonking game, better than first impressions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sooooo I didn't *get* something new but I *made* something new.

During the start of Lockdown I starting teaching myself how to build Sega Mega Drive carts. Taught myself how the carts themselves work.

Went through much trial and error burning my first few EEPROMs and then finally, with the help of BanjoGuyOllie's Sega Mega Drive cart repro boards... success!

I made a physical copy of a friend's Sonic the Hedgehog bossrush Romhack called Sonic Bash v2!

I finally did all the printing and stuff today and the project is finally finished after a few months!

I created all of the cart and label artwork myself in Photoshop!

Rather proud of this one! :-)

Ohh... and yes. It works... and it's a region free cart that'll work in any Genesis / Mega Drive.

Quick YouTube video here:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

That looks sweet. The homebrew scene are doing Gods work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

MrVestek wrote: »
    Sooooo I didn't *get* something new but I *made* something new.

During the start of Lockdown I starting teaching myself how to build Sega Mega Drive carts. Taught myself how the carts themselves work.

Went through much trial and error burning my first few EEPROMs and then finally, with the help of BanjoGuyOllie's Sega Mega Drive cart repro boards... success!

I made a physical copy of a friend's Sonic the Hedgehog bossrush Romhack called Sonic Bash v2!

I finally did all the printing and stuff today and the project is finally finished after a few months!

I created all of the cart and label artwork myself in Photoshop!

Rather proud of this one! :-)

Ohh... and yes. It works... and it's a region free cart that'll work in any Genesis / Mega Drive.

Quick YouTube video here:

That's cool as hell!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thanks to the assistance of one Doge of this parish, I now own a lovely Neo Geo Mini!
    A soon to be hacked Neo Geo Mini if I have anything to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Thanks to the assistance of one Doge of this parish, I now own a lovely Neo Geo Mini!
    A soon to be hacked Neo Geo Mini if I have anything to do with it!

Nice - I've hacked mine with Just NeoGeo games - I've a very nice little cab :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Nice - I've hacked mine with Just NeoGeo games - I've a very nice little cab :D

Was it easy to do? Only want to add more Neo Geo to mine too (well, my sons Christmas present!), have plenty of other options for the other emulators that thing will do.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Was it easy to do? Only want to add more Neo Geo to mine too (well, my sons Christmas present!), have plenty of other options for the other emulators that thing will do.
    Yeah - I'll have to dig it out. It was an image you flash to it basically

OK - found it - it's pretty big though:
    NeoGeo.jpg

I'm hoping to install only Neo Geo to it and get rid of most of the countless, superfluous KoF and AoF games from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm hoping to install only Neo Geo to it and get rid of most of the countless, superfluous KoF and AoF games from it.

:eek: :problem:

That CWF has on option where in the Mini menu you can switch between fighting games or other games

I don't mind the significant releases in their fighting series, but not all of them!
    I'll have a crack at it later in the week, perhaps, can't do it here in work as the PC is locked up tight!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah stop. I find SNK fighters way better than the majority of competitors. Most of the KoF games are classics and while hard to learn there's just so much depth and they are so much fun. Tournaments are so much fun to watch. Same with Samurai Shodown and Last Blade, the recent Samurai Shodown is fantastic fighter and one of the best I've played in ages. It's not combo heavy and all super attacks and complex techniques all have shared inputs across all characters making it great for beginners without sacrificing depth.

Art of Fighting is a bit weird but AoF 3 is great and up there with Garou as possibly one of the best looking 2D games of all time.

Even when SNK were just aping capcom I like them, I've a fondness for Fatal Fury 2.

A lot of the Neo Geo fighters that don't hold up are either from the troubled period of SNK or else are actually from third parties like ADK that licensed the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've a fondness for Fatal Fury 2.

Fatal Fury Special is a genuine classic, and still highly regarded within the fighting game community. Mikado arcade in Tokyo regularly stream it on their YouTube channel.

I'm not saying I don't want their fighting franchises on my new mini console, I'm saying I don't need a dozen versions of KoF on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm not saying I don't want their fighting franchises on my new mini console, I'm saying I don't need a dozen versions of KoF on it...

You do :)

Real Bout Fatal fury 2 newcomers is my latest addiction, love that game so much

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I don't mind the significant releases in their fighting series, but not all of them!
    I'll have a crack at it later in the week, perhaps, can't do it here in work as the PC is locked up tight!

The only neo geo fighting game I ever really enjoyed was World Heroes , even if it is "What if Street Fighter II was sillier , and was really forgiving with its special moves timing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiLkQu2t41k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Last Blade 1 & 2 always win it for me. I used to have a few cans and epic two player battles on my SNK cabinet with a mate.

When you both get into the swing of things, especially with all of the blocking and parrying it can get incredibly intense.

The loud 'KA-CHING' of two blades hitting each other from a good block can't be beat!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement