Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I probably need to stop buying things now...

Just pre-ordered the Xbox Series X and then bought, on ebay, a set of Hyper Olympics and Hyper Sports, as well as the pair of HyperShot Famicom controllers...

Definitely need to stay away from online shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've kind of hit a peak with videogames the last while, apart from the odd digital download I haven't really found anything to buy in a very long time. Long gone are the days of trawling ebay for consoles and games.

How much is the Xbox Series X? mental money I'd say?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've kind of hit a peak with videogames the last while, apart from the odd digital download I haven't really found anything to buy in a very long time. Long gone are the days of trawling ebay for consoles and games.

500 smackers and no decent launch exclusives. And same with the PS5, although at least it has a remaster of Demon's Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

€500, along with the PS5.

I'm going to wait til next year. Consoles will have some decent software updates and there will be a handful of cheap games on offer.

I was tempted to get the PS5 at launch as my first console launch but I just bought a new phone so that's out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I probably need to stop buying things now...

Just pre-ordered the Xbox Series X and then bought, on ebay, a set of Hyper Olympics and Hyper Sports, as well as the pair of HyperShot Famicom controllers...

Definitely need to stay away from online shopping!

Ditto Cidey, saw u on MS forum, thank god for the MS store after Symths died a slow death, put of red minons too 😀

I got the X and got a S as I think it be cool in my Vewlix, it looks dainty, supports old controllers so brook sud be fine and have lightening quick load times.

My jtag 360 slim died thou, and I had it fully loaded with 200 titles ggrrr. Won't power on after xbox BING sound, no red ring on these at least, hopefully fixable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm planning to get a massive PC upgrade next year. Full upgrade that should last me a couple of years before another upgrade.

As for the new consoles, I'll be sensible and wait at least a year and see if anything makes them worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm planning to get a massive PC upgrade next year. Full upgrade that should last me a couple of years before another upgrade.

As for the new consoles, I'll be sensible and wait at least a year and see if anything makes them worth it.

You going to invest in VR?
    The oculus quest 2 is out next month and the 64GB model is only £300 on Amazon to pre order.

Has a rather beefy Snapdragon XR2 chip, in fact Facebook are meant to be making a loss on each unit sold.

You can buy a long USB C cable to connect it to your pc for PCVR gaming so it's the best of both worlds.

If you are tempted try to get a graphics card or motherboard with a USB C port.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm planning to get a massive PC upgrade next year.

Same. Ryzen 5700x/5800x paired with an RTX 3080Ti/Super will be an absolute unit of a machine.

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Same. Ryzen 5700x/5800x paired with an RTX 3080Ti/Super will be an absolute unit of a machine.

Yeah I'm building a gaming PC for the missus for her birthday next month. Just waiting to get my hands on the above...

I may use it too when shes not looking. :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    The oculus quest 2 is out next month and the 64GB model is only £300 on Amazon to pre order.

Has a rather beefy Snapdragon XR2 chip, in fact Facebook are meant to be making a loss on each unit sold.

You can buy a long USB C cable to connect it to your pc for PCVR gaming so it's the best of both worlds.

It's another area I'll wait and see. Beefy PC comes first and if I was going for a VR device I would get one that allows me to play Alyx at it's best so full finger tracking which isn't cheap at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

In the middle of a new build myself. Unsure if I'll for the RTX 3080 or 3090. It's going to be a massive water cooled system(small fridge size case), so I need them to hurry up with a decent water block for the new cards. Cant design my water loop until i know how/where the cards will sit.

First worlds problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

It's another area I'll wait and see. Beefy PC comes first and if I was going for a VR device I would get one that allows me to play Alyx at it's best so full finger tracking which isn't cheap at the moment.

Personally I think the big bump in resolution that the quest 2 has over the valve index is far more important than finger tracking.
    Having to use 2 base stations for tracking is a pain too, where as the quest 2 uses inside out tracking with its 4 cameras built into the headset.

You're essentialy paying over 1000 for a vr headset with a lower resolution, more combersome tracking - that's pretty much the price of a mid to high range gaming PC.
    Oh and the quest 2 can be used wirelessly for Steam VR games also using 1 of 2 apps available and a decent WiFi router.
    While finger tracking looks cool, it's not that important imo.

The quest 2 can do finger tracking also but without the controller's in your hand so limited to certain games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

A little more 8bit
    Got one of those China versions of the Everdrive Famicom N8 carts. Works well but the Famicom disk image loading it does isn't great but don't need that :D
    527141.jpg

I had a moment of madness (a few days before ordering the N8) and picked these up
    527142.jpg

Also arrived was a Famicom disk 'modchip' for the drive unit. Allows the drive to be able to fully write to a disk as Nintendo introduced some copy protection by revising the drives (and power units) early in the life cycle of the media. Will throw up photos of the install when I get to it :) Why? Just 'because' and also want to try to re-write my copy of the JAP Super Mario Bros. 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I love the art on the Famicom Mario carts so much!

I've got the N8 Pro but haven't really done much with Famicom Disk games so far. I must see how it is.

Master of the Universe

They're really lovely pieces of art aren't they?

I love how progressively dynamic they get with each release, Mario is almost flying off the cover in 3!

Just bought a fairly random title on ebay, Delta Force for the PS1. Late release twin stick FPS that's meant to be pushing the PS1 hardware pretty hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Nothing amazing, but just noteworthy for the extended time in the wild.
    Got about a dozen or so dust covers from Printerboy in the post today ranging from Megadrive, SNES, Dreamcast, Original Xbox etc, all the way up to the newer Analogue devices.
    Coming from Mexico, but shipped in the middle of May and only showing up now.

Not normally a fan of dust covers etc, but being stuck in the house the last few months has shown me they couldn't hurt in the right setup. Decent quality TBF.

Yeah I'm building a gaming PC for the missus for her birthday next month. Just waiting to get my hands on the above...

I may use it too when shes not looking. :pac:

The next gen of Ryzen chips (cpu's) are rumoured to be the 5xxx series, skipping the 4xxx naming scheme altogether. Should be news on them very soon, though they'll likely be very hard to actually get your hands on, likely next year.

The RTX 3080 just launched, but is nigh on impossible to find. It's a savage card for the money. That said, rumours abound that a more powerful one isn't too far away (a Super or Ti version with a good bit more ram)...so again, I'd say next year might net you a far better pc if you can afford to wait a few months. That said, the current Ryzen's (3xxx series) and GPU's are savage value right now...particularly used RTX cards.

Also to note is that the 3xxx series of cards are so cheap is because the next AMD cards are going to rival the nvidia cards and possibly better them and they will no longer have the monopoly on the market. AMD have made great strides in getting their manufacturing process down to smaller levels that intel are struggling with which will hopefully pass on to their GPUs. They will also be bringing forward their new tech used in the next gen consoles for the likes of ray tracing and hopefully a DLSS rival, which is a massive advantage for nvidia.

PC gaming is going to get a hell of a lot cheaper with a resurgent AMD making both amazing CPUs and GPUs and breaking the nvidia/intel monopoly.

Also to note is that the 3xxx series of cards are so cheap is because the next AMD cards are going to rival the nvidia cards and possibly better them and they will no longer have the monopoly on the market.

Hence the rumoured refresh of the brand new Rtx 3xxx series. Nvidia aren't Intel, and haven't sat on their success for generations. The new AMD cards will offer great bang for buck, but likely won't be beating equivalent Nvidia cards. Also they seem to somehow still have driver issues to work out, so that needs to be sorted too.

I'd love to see AMD stand toe to toe with Nvidia, but I don't think it'll happen this generation yet. They also badly need to get a DLSS rival in place too, which as you say is offering Nvidia a nice edge at the moment. I still feel I'd always go with Nvidia though, because AMD cards often exhibit problems with emulation, and their rasterisation performance just isn't as good either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    A little more 8bit
    Got one of those China versions of the Everdrive Famicom N8 carts. Works well .
    speaking of ..are the ones on adverts any use?
    https://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-famicom-n8-fc-everdrive-store-1000s-of-game-roms-and-nes-hacks/20540236
    I wouldnt mind picking up one at some point as stupid adverts and ebay NES cart prices make me cry these days.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I've been told by a few folks that it's a bit of a bad time to be putting a PC together alright with all the latest announcements!

A mate is actually lending me a mobo, processor and a GPU for the time being for the Birthday next month, she mainly wants it to play the new Cyberpunk game at the moment.

Will see how we look re further upgrades once some of the processor and GPU news comes out.

Doesn't much matter what AMD bring to the table GPU wise next month if their drivers are still dogsh1te.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Doesn't much matter what AMD bring to the table GPU wise next month if their drivers are still dogsh1te.

Completely agree. I'm eternally grateful to them for what they've done for the CPU market....but they're up against a whole different animal in Nvidia for the GPU market....so driver issues and basic crap like that need to be completely ironed out before I'll consider them.

Completely agree. I'm eternally grateful to them for what they've done for the CPU market....but they're up against a whole different animal in Nvidia for the GPU market....so driver issues and basic crap like that need to be completely ironed out before I'll consider them.

Definitely, they've done great work on their CPU line-up(my current system is Intel based, new one I'm building is AMD).
    Of course, NVidia are not immune to driver issues. They've changed how HDR is handled about 4-5 months ago and it really messed up a lot of peoples custom decoder software(mine included). Still waiting for a fix on that :0/

Definitely, they've done great work on their CPU line-up(my current system is Intel based, new one I'm building is AMD).
    Of course, NVidia are not immune to driver issues. They've changed how HDR is handled about 4-5 months ago and it really messed up a lot of peoples custom decoder software(mine included). Still waiting for a fix on that :0/

How is HDR looking for Windows gaming these days? Last time I dabbled it was a joke of an implementation. It's the one advantage consoles had, they just worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm jealous of everyone hyped about the RTX 30 series. I just got a GTX1060 off a friend a few months back and finally put some money in my PC to get a nice case, a decent CPU cooler, new HDD, extra fans etc. I miss building PCs and following new tech but PC gaming takes a back seat to console and retro gaming. There just isn't enough time or money for it all.

Happy I can play most games at 1080p60 and can finally sink time into truck simulator, mud runner and flight simulator :D

How is HDR looking for Windows gaming these days? Last time I dabbled it was a joke of an implementation. It's the one advantage consoles had, they just worked!

HDR works pretty well these days for new games on Windows 10. But I leave it off completely until I actually want to use it as its still a bit of a mess within the OS itself.
    That's the main reason i moved over to madVR for the video decoding, its awesome(or was until nvidia messed up the HDR handles).
    Anyway, still worth checking out madVR if you are into proper video decoding and hdr playback within windows(and have a nvidia gpu).

HDR works pretty well these days for new games on Windows 10. But I leave it off completely until I actually want to use it as its still a bit of a mess within the OS itself.
    That's the main reason i moved over to madVR for the video decoding, its awesome(or was until nvidia messed up the HDR handles).
    Anyway, still worth checking out madVR if you are into proper video decoding and hdr playback within windows(and have a nvidia gpu).

Yeah I'd a MadVR setup about ~2 years ago, set to auto-config the OS to HDR on detection of HDR content. It was ok, worked most of the time. I've since switched to having an Unraid server in the house, and using x2 Nvidia Shields for consuming media. HDR just works that way, no faffing needed. Windows really needs to allow games/media players to handle HDR switching.

Incidentally I've shifted a lot of my roms to living on the server now too....so that'll allow my next pc to have no mechanical drives which is a nice plus. LaunchBox on my main PC just pulls roms from the server, feeds them to the required emulator, and they work flawlessly. I keep the likes of DOS games, Wii U, PS3 Games, etc all on the PC still though...as they've multiple small files and they're better served up directly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Doge wrote: »

My son is after this Oculus thing for christmas he has a few quid saved and i said id give him the rest to get it, i didnt even know there was a new one coming out. Can anyone give me a steer here on what i need to know about it because i havent a clue about Oculus! I was going to buy the rift off the Oculus website because it said it was the PC one, until i read this! I know his PC can use the current one, i checked the specs on the website. The new one doesnt need to connect to a PC?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd a MadVR setup about ~2 years ago, set to auto-config the OS to HDR on detection of HDR content. It was ok, worked most of the time. I've since switched to having an Unraid server in the house, and using x2 Nvidia Shields for consuming media. HDR just works that way, no faffing needed. Windows really needs to allow games/media players to handle HDR switching.

Incidentally I've shifted a lot of my roms to living on the server now too....so that'll allow my next pc to have no mechanical drives which is a nice plus. LaunchBox on my main PC just pulls roms from the server, feeds them to the required emulator, and they work flawlessly. I keep the likes of DOS games, Wii U, PS3 Games, etc all on the PC still though...as they've multiple small files and they're better served up directly.

Yeah fast network storage is the way alright. I run a Synology DS2419+ and an extra box attached with more drives and 10Gb ethernet network(best upgrade I've done in years is switch to 10Gb). Nice to know if the main pc dies the important stuff(and my Plex library) are safe :)
    I switched over to Launchbox after seeing you mention it a couple of years ago(i think). Awesome, and keeps getting better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement