Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

At the price it was being sold for its worth it for the tailgunner port alone!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The thing is it's really cheap, €45 or so posted from Australia.
    And it is planned to have a proper commercial release.
    But, as with Vecfever and other releases they have a launch, get snapped up and wind up on eBay for a small fortune.
    The idea is that the RPi0 is going to massively boost the capabilities of the Vectrex and, the be honest, the possibilities are endless.
    The most readily obvious bonus is the running of a version of Mame, which is tied to those games rendered in vector graphics.
    This should result in Star Wars, Tempest, Asteroids and others being perfectly playable on any Vectrex, as long as you own a PiTrex.
    http://computernerdkev.heliohost.org/pitrex/wiki/index.php?wiki=Software_Ports&PHPSESSID=2cae66a6f24c2524af030c045802f6e1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sold out it seems...
    This might be the most limited thing I end up owning!
    Can't wait to see it working!
    The Vecfever does this kind of thing as well, but it requires a link to a PC to do the loading of software.
    The PiTrex is entirely powered from the Vectrex itself, so will be self contained.

Malban already has asteroids running on it among others albeit without all sounds fully implemented, wasn’t aware that vextreme had similar functionality when connected to a Pc, I have one of those here but just it as a multi mostly and for homebrew stuff

Malban already has asteroids running on it among others albeit without all sounds fully implemented, wasn’t aware that vextreme had similar functionality when connected to a Pc, I have one of those here but just it as a multi mostly and for homebrew stuff

No, you're right, it doesn't.
    That's the open source multi cart, still a great thing to have but it's not going to expand the capabilities of the Vectrex like the Vecfever and now the PiTrex can.

I feel a little tiny bit regretful that my purchase denies an actual developer the chance to own and make cool stuff though.
    Just a tiny bit...

• Advertisement

There’s been a few more added to the website and another 50 planned so I’d imagine any potential developers will have already picked one up

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

My latest to my sub retro ‘mini’ collection. I try to buy tea versions of each mini when possible and the inclination takes me so I have one to use and one to keep unopened.
    I couldn’t afford atm to buy these twice over, especially given the likelihood they’d be **** for actual game play so just bought them once, so can’t open for photos.

The accessories you see are the Mini magnifier, two pins and a Sega strap with plastic shell case for one of the machines. I guess in case you’re a cool kid and want to wear it around your neck.

Astro city mini in December and if the rumors are true Dreamcast mini Xmas 2021.

Hypersports/Hyperolympics and the Hypershot controller arrived.
    Just tested them out and they are still a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Right, this sickness of PS1 collecting of funky versions is done! :D

Got myself a non-minty Sony Playstation Net Yaroze DTL-H3002
    529516.png
    Missing the serial cable and access card but came with boot & PC software disc and manuals. Non-minty'ness due to a security sticky pad which was attached with industrial glue. Cleaned up better than I thought it would have. Drive unit needs replacing, sold as not playing disks but a simple clean fixed that to a point for most discs.

PS2 TOOL arrived from Japan but got dropped kicked a few times by Fedex! So, insurance claim logged so lets see what comes of that. It was cheap so not a massive loss. It will prob boot etc. as the internals look fine but haven't touched it yet incase Fedex want something checked/done.

Dang...
    That's just lovely...

• Advertisement

Also picked up a Nintendo Switch with "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" - that game is a little crazy, never played it before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Picked up a PS Vita. Nice console, ridiculously easy to mod and get 'backups' on it. But surprised at the poor game selection for it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Picked up a PS Vita. Nice console, ridiculously easy to mod and get 'backups' on it. But surprised at the poor game selection for it..

There's some great stuff on it but a lot of it is weird japanese RPGs.

Also the two very best games on it Persona 4 Golden and Shiren the Wanderer are on Steam and coming to steam in december respectively.

A lot of the other good stuff like Y's Memories of Celceta and Gravity Rush have been ported as well.

A few gems on there though that remain unported. It's got the best versions of Tearaway and Muramasa: Demon Blade, Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines is meant to be great even if a pale imitation of it's predecessor and Freedom Wars is a fun monster hunter type game with a strangely humourous nihilistic streak.

And.... Thats really about it. The uncharted game is rubbish despite reviews saying otherwise.

It's no 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Why is the ps vita port of Tearaway better than the PS4 one Retr0?

I have a sealed copy of the PS4 version yet to be played and also have a vita so I'm interested in knowing the differences.

Cheers.

Doge wrote: »
    Why is the ps vita port of Tearaway better than the PS4 one Retr0?

I have a sealed copy of the PS4 version yet to be played and also have a vita so I'm interested in knowing the differences.

Cheers.

The PS4 game is a sequel.
    The Vita game was the original and, thanks to the various touch pad and camera doodads built into the system, they were used to incredible effect in Tearaway.
    And then the integration too of paper models and patterns, it was a lovely lovely game.
    The player is essentially god, and you are also as observer inserted into the decisions and plot, Schrodinger would be only delighted!

The PS4 game just wasn't as charming and didn't fit to the hardware in the way the Vita game did.
    It's still fun but nowhere near as impressive as the Vita original.

Both games do fit into a nice series of bizarre titles on Sony hardware, when the reach out to try and attain the kind of brilliance that Nintendo produce so consistently.
    Puppeteer on the PS3 is fantastic, and Knack and it's sequel aren't without charm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

I had no idea they were 2 separate games!

Must give it a go on the vita someday.

As I said, if you like Tearaway you should try Puppeteer, not sure how much it is on the PlayStation Store for the PS3 but it's a lovely game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You'd want to buy it on the PS3 store SOON! I got an email saying they're removing the ability to purchase older titles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'd want to buy it on the PS3 store SOON! I got an email saying they're removing the ability to purchase older titles.

On the PC online store. Can still buy from the console. But for how long?

More like bought something new,
    I've a custom Atari arcade stick, suited for the 2600/XE/XL series on the way.
    Worked out a bit expensive but it is a lovely lovely thing.
    He installed a second fire button that is wired to the up direction, which is commonly used for jump.
    I'll post photos when it arrives.
    I swear on my pretty floral bonnet this is the last thing I'm buying this side of Christmas....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Randomly checked my wishlist on CeX and saw this was in stock so had to grab it, unfortunately it incorrectly went down to Cork, Laois then back to Dublin and arrived today, repacked by AnPost with half the envelope ripped off and a plastic pocket saying 'sorry we damaged this' and taped together with 'damaged in transit' tape. Case smashed up a bit but fortunately the game is complete. Much cheaper than what they're going for on eBay. One step closer to a complete PAL collection.

Game purchases have come to a halt as I'm putting a bit of money towards new things for the game room each month. No window shopping but I'll grab something if it comes up.

OTHoKmD.jpg

Thanks to the amazing Sean Kelly for getting this one released and out to me, the attention to detail is incredible and it’s great to finally have a proper release of one of my favorite original titles, looking forward to getting stuck into this and checking out the new ending but currently trying to get in some practice for vector wars x!

CDE29-AC3-E87-F-408-C-8-DEC-4-AF4-D9221-F3-E.jpg

I've the cart only on the way, hopefully have it soon.
    Christ, but Vectrex seems to be the place to be for incredible homebrew right now

After two months at sea my FDS stick finally arrived!
    It's a usb stick that you load with Famicom Disk System games and then simply plug into the Famicom Ram Cart.
    The FDS came in two parts, the aforementioned ram cart and the disk drive but the latter was prone to failure so the ram carts are easy to find cheap.
    Just plug the FDS Stick into it and the Famicom boots up into a list of everything on it, which is pretty cool.
    You can also make an adaptor cable and plug it into my Famicom Twin, and copy games straight to Famicom Disk, then play them God intended.

Thought I should have the first console I ever owned (for better/worse)...but then found out there was a version of the Jr. made in Ireland.

Atari 2600 Jr Black
    530241.jpg
    All in Ireland
    530240.jpg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As I said, if you like Tearaway you should try Puppeteer, not sure how much it is on the PlayStation Store for the PS3 but it's a lovely game

Bit late to the party but did you think puppeteer was that good? Bounced off it as I found it boring. Standard platforming fare that only had the visuals to differentiate it from dozens of other better games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bit late to the party but did you think puppeteer was that good? Bounced off it as I found it boring. Standard platforming fare that only had the visuals to differentiate it from dozens of other better games.

Well, it's not dissimilar to The Last Of Us then, average gameplay but picks up in the visuals and script!

But, yes, I really enjoyed Puppeteer, however I did like Firewarrior as well so...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Right, this sickness of PS1 collecting of funky versions is done! :D

Got myself a non-minty Sony Playstation Net Yaroze DTL-H3002
    529516.png
    Missing the serial cable and access card but came with boot & PC software disc and manuals. Non-minty'ness due to a security sticky pad which was attached with industrial glue. Cleaned up better than I thought it would have. Drive unit needs replacing, sold as not playing disks but a simple clean fixed that to a point for most discs.

PS2 TOOL arrived from Japan but got dropped kicked a few times by Fedex! So, insurance claim logged so lets see what comes of that. It was cheap so not a massive loss. It will prob boot etc. as the internals look fine but haven't touched it yet incase Fedex want something checked/done.

Well I won't be standing up for a while...! :D

I've always, always LOVED the look of the Net Yaroze. Doubt I could justify the cost (until I'm earning some big bucks) but it's an absolute beauty.
    Really interesting history with it too, caught a Youtube doc a few months back and it featured games I'd not seen since I played them on a PS1 Official Playstation Magazine demo disc in the late 90s:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really enjoyed Puppeteer, one of those games that does seem to get acclaim but still not enough attention imo. Would be a shame if it ended up stuck on just PS3 in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I remember myself and my cousin renting this about 20 years ago. I think the disc was damaged at the time so we didn't get to play it, but I was always curious to play it ever since. It only dawned on me to seek it out and buy it.

Published by BMG Interactive, who we now know as Rockstar Games
    FGWMbYf.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement