Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

God, ye must have very high standards. Like I said, he never got meal. She's a handy cow maybe 575kg. I'm sure he could get better prices from cont type cows with less milk, but he'd have to feed more meal to make up the diff in weight. End of day it's about profit not vanity.

50 euro of meal turns a calf inside out, that's probably one of his best too, there not all doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

This bull weighed 390kg yesterday at the mart. He never got a bit of meal, straight off the cow. It's some weight for a Feb calf. Mother is a black whitehead.

Some weight alright. Did you go with a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

RD10 wrote: »

Ah, he's a young relative of mine starting out, so I'm delighted for him. ;)

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No offence, but she's a sh!t cow if her calf is only worth 890 let alone a ch bull calf

But if that calf was golden yellow in colour the calf could of made €1200+
    Sadly colour is a major factor

Ah, he's a young relative of mine starting out, so I'm delighted for him. ;)

A LM or SI heifer off that cow will set him up well

• Advertisement

But if that calf was golden yellow in colour the calf could of made €1200+
    Sadly colour is a major factor

Ya but that's the thin g out of black cows, colour is ****e. If my aunt had balls she'd b my uncle comes to mind

Week old Excel (LM4027) calf. Great width to him. Seems quiet too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Week old Excel (LM4027) calf. Great width to him. Seems quiet too.
    Good bone for a limo too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

LM,4027 are nice calves, I have two of them, done ok over the summer and quiet to work with.. best of luck with him.

Anyone any mbp cows? How are they for milk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Had two here a few years ago, they were very poor for milk even tho they were off milky cows.They weren’t kept long.

RD10 wrote: »
    Just saw this now. No just brought for him. He had other bucket fed calves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Kept one here a few years ago.....never again....the cat would have more milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

€890 I think. Colour went against him. He was greyish.

Just about its price. Have softened a little in the last 3 weeks.

Sold three weanling yesterday. Two Zags and something else.

410 made 960
    395 made 920
    390 made 930.

Very surprised with the weights. Weight them 8 weeks ago (July 20) and they 312, 305 and 302. That’s a lot of weight to gain in 56 days. They had been on meal upto the 15 August or so. Grass was only middling the last month also so was happy with weights. A little disappointed with prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

No offence, but she's a sh!t cow if her calf is only worth 890 let alone a ch bull calf

It’s a 7 month old bull......who never had a shake of meal. If all our cows could get calves to that weight with no meal....

And saying “no offence” is not really excuses of being an asshole, no offence.

893bet wrote: »
    It’s a 7 month old bull......who never had a shake of meal. If all our cows could get calves to that weight with no meal....

😂😂😂 When u see the prices little heifers are making, suckle farming is far more than having 400kgs of a calf, a blue is worth 3/kg golden charolais 2.8 and your going nearer to 2/kg for bad calfs with bad colours. Nobody will pay big bucks for bad coloured calfs, all well and good on paper getting so much gain per day, ounce of breeding is worth a tonne of feeding as they say. No offence :rolleyes:

Colour is everything! ...
    And all the cute boys buying the wrong colour calves. Larry doesn't pay for colour.

And all the cute boys buying the wrong colour calves. Larry doesn't pay for colour.

I'm not selling to Larry...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

893bet wrote: »

LOL, couldn't have said it better myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Why is colour a thing if you're just going to cut its throat?

• Advertisement

Why is colour a thing if you're just going to cut its throat?
    Wrong colour would hint at wrong breeding. A golden charolais would indicate a char from a red Lim. A mousey char, an Angus or black Lim mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Anyone ever calf down a heifer from a culard charlaois ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Amateur Farmer

Who2 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with tomschoice jet?

Hi, just wondering if you received any feedback on Tomschoice Jet? I’m thinking of using him this Autumn and was wondering what sort of cow suits him best?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, just wondering if you received any feedback on Tomschoice Jet? I’m thinking of using him this Autumn and was wondering what sort of cow suits him best?

Any help would be appreciated.

Seen a Tom's choice calf make 1050 at 345kgs, out of pathaneise x limo cow., lovely wide hairy calf

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone have Lm 4217 Knell calves? How are they as weanlings? Are heifers looking like good replacements? Any information welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Mine are doing well. Nice & docile too. Bulls are doing about 1.35 ADG. Couple of nice shapely heifers too by him which I'll be keeping hopefully as replacements next year. He is performing way better than my ZAG calves anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Mine are doing well. Nice & docile too. Bulls are doing about 1.35 ADG. Couple of nice shapely heifers too by him which I'll be keeping hopefully as replacements next year. He is performing way better than my ZAG calves anyway.

Good to hear all that, thanks. No issue with calving them? He seems ok for calving difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Yeah I had him on a number of heifers (calving at ~24months) but only 1 hard pull. Easy enough but I would only put him on biggesh heifers going forward. I've put him on 10 cows this year

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Has anyone ever tried or had any success using CWI 90% sexed semen on heifers?

So I tried cwi sexed semen on three heifers.
    All are Ai'd 7 weeks now and hopefully have held.They were €40/straw plus insemination free.

• Advertisement

So I tried cwi sexed semen on three heifers.
    All are Ai'd 7 weeks now and hopefully have held.They were €40/straw plus insemination free.

Do you inseminate 12 hours after standing heat as per non sexed?

Advertisement