Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

rushvalley wrote: »
    2021 calves here will be a mix of
    CH5932
    CWI
    LM4908
    EBY
    LSP
    LM5443
    LM2014

Elite ice cream
    Loki
    Mbp
    Wbh
    Bb4399
    Mnz
    Aa2163

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

First year using 100% AI and scanned on Friday, 13 out of 17 held to first service. Three repeats and one scanned up empty, First two repeats are passed their three week mark so very happy with the results. Vasectomised bull was a great purchase.
    Bulls used were
    WBH
    BB2247
    LOKI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Barron lad wrote: »
    First year using 100% AI and scanned on Friday, 13 out of 17 held to first service. Three repeats and one scanned up empty, First two repeats are passed their three week mark so very happy with the results. Vasectomised bull was a great purchase.
    Bulls used were
    WBH
    BB2247
    LOKI
    Would BB2247 be suitable for 2nd Calvers?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

Would BB2247 be suitable for 2nd Calvers?

I was told he is, I have used him on my 3 fanciest parthenaise cows a second, third and a fifth calver so im hoping he will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Barron lad wrote: »
    I was told he is, I have used him on my 3 fanciest parthenaise cows a second, third and a fifth calver so im hoping he will be ok.
    Great cross
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭50HX

Need to update the pot, still using a lot of old stuff

Dbz
    Djr
    Zch
    Ahz
    Nin
    Pte
    Mzt
    Fsz
    Pta

Used zag a bit last year.....wouldn't be gone on him...low butty offspring

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nin - there's a blast from the past. I had some great cows here by him. Lost them to TB. Gutted at the time.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭50HX

Nin - there's a blast from the past. I had some great cows here by him. Lost them to TB. Gutted at the time.

Yeah have a few, nice easy calving bull, still have a few in the pot

Hard to beat fl22 as well....have one straw left

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

50HX wrote: »
    Need to update the pot, still using a lot of old stuff

Dbz
    Djr
    Zch
    Ahz
    Nin
    Pte
    Mzt
    Fsz
    Pta

Used zag a bit last year.....wouldn't be gone on him...low butty offspring
    Pte straws be worth a nice bit to a pedigree man.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Had a bought in heifer genotyped as been bred by 5 star rep Lm2238? Anyone have heifers calved out of him ? Pic attached of him

• Advertisement

sonnybill wrote: »
    Had a bought in heifer genotyped as been bred by 5 star rep Lm2238? Anyone have heifers calved out of him ? Pic attached of him

He's On-Dit x highlander so should have loads of milk. is she shapey? I've seen pics of his calves on the internet and they look like nice shapey calves. Figures so far on ICBF suggest he lacks muscle.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

This lady is out of Lm2388 and a 2nd cross Lim x fr heifer. Was tiny when born but did a good thrive after. 15 months when that photo was taken, and just ai’d.
    Should make a good cow, not over shapey, and quiet as a lamb.
    Sold her to an uncle so will call down next spring to see how she does

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

This lady is out of Lm2388 and a 2nd cross Lim x fr heifer. Was tiny when born but did a good thrive after. 15 months when that photo was taken, and just ai’d.
    Should make a good cow, not over shapey, and quiet as a lamb.
    Sold her to an uncle so will call down next spring to see how she does

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

He's On-Dit x highlander so should have loads of milk. is she shapey? I've seen pics of his calves on the internet and they look like nice shapey calves. Figures so far on ICBF suggest he lacks muscle.

As a lad near me said once when I asked him what his heifer was out of? “She out of the cow in the limousin section of the book! “ no pic of him in catalogue only progeny ! I got that image off of limousin society website

Mother was 1 tonne , Ch X AA with milk also, I’ll leave her on there, Will scull her when she calves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

Highlander is one of the best Lim bulls that PG have ever had imo, very easy calved and bred pure tanks of cattle.
    Some farmers say they could be wild but i never found them too bad that way.
    Had a couple of great cows of him.
    There was never a pic of him in the Ai books either, the only pic i saw of him was in a Limousin society yearbook, he was an ugly looking yoke with big horns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

tanko wrote: »
    Highlander is one of the best Lim bulls that PG have ever had imo, very easy calved and bred pure tanks of cattle.
    Some farmers say they could be wild but i never found them too bad that way.
    Had a couple of great cows of him.
    There was never a pic of him in the Ai books either, the only pic i saw of him was in a Limousin society yearbook, he was an ugly looking yoke with big horns.
    This him?
    http://nos-taureaux.auriva-elevage.fr/trouver-le-bon-taureau/taureau_FR1692111209

The man himself, Highlander;

That’s him, probably harsh to call him ugly in his working clothes, was a great bull, wouldn’t mind having straws off him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I actually think he's a grand looking bull! Bar his front feet :pac:
    Prefer a bull looking like that than one that's all style & no substance.

Ya, the French ain't in to selling bulls on their looks. Mas Du Clo (MUC) ain't so fancy either;

http://www.evolution-int.com/en/bull/34/FR2396032213/alt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Cow ai'd this morning and decided to stay bulling all day since.
    Just wondering about others opinions on this - Do ye think she could hold or would ye ai again this eve to be sure?
    She's mad rising on the rest of the cows the past few hours.
    I'm going to ai again anyway, Don't want her slipping another 3 weeks.
    Just interested on everyone else's thoughts on what they would do.

RD10 wrote: »
    Just wondering about others opinions on this - Do ye think she could hold or would ye ai again this eve to be sure?

I've a 2 year old teaser with cows. Last week neighbour rang me to say a cow was bulling. I had seen her that morning and didn't think she was on yet. Following day he rang again to say she was deffo on, as he saw bull and younger weanling bull jumping on her. I looked at her and thought she might go another day. So on day 3 I ai'd her. Following morning and she was mad bulling. This time she was jumping up on the bull herself. I AI'd her again.

So to answer your question - I don't know. The best approach is to see her standing or see her jumping herself and then wait 8 hours. problem is she could be at that stage in the middle of the night. Hard to tell sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I was told before if they were jumping after getting AI, the semen from the straw could dislodge from where it was left from AI man. Fall back out if that makes sense. Not sure if true, but would always wait here until all activity was almost over before AI’ing.

I used AI twice on a cow here this year. Say bulled her on Monday and she was going again Tuesday morning so bulled again that evening with the same straw. Got her scanned and she’s in calf so not sure which straw will have worked. Main thing she’s in calf now.

Doubtful that she’ll hold to the straw this morning.
    I’d do her again in the morning.
    If there’s one thing I’ve learnt from Ai’ing cows it’s that later is better than early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I always think the best answer to that is 'What would the bull do'? :D
    He'd likely be up on her in the field so I'd AI again. Better be safe than sorry. Could be like one near here last year, AI'ed in morning & evening with two different straws & got twins with one being LM & other CH.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I was told before if they were jumping after getting AI, the semen from the straw could dislodge from where it was left from AI man. Fall back out if that makes sense. Not sure if true, but would always wait here until all activity was almost over before AI’ing.

I used AI twice on a cow here this year. Say bulled her on Monday and she was going again Tuesday morning so bulled again that evening with the same straw. Got her scanned and she’s in calf so not sure which straw will have worked. Main thing she’s in calf now.

Yes an Ai man told me that before, said they could lose it out again if they go back out the field and start rising again.

Had left her in shed for nearly an hour after to settle, first thing she done was rise up on another cow when she went back out - saw lot of slime come out of her as she was doing it so left her til this eve and ai'd again.
    If she holds I'm very interested to find out which bull she held to!

While on the topic of Ai - Noticed blood on inside of the glove used this evening, not massive amount but still fair amount that I noticed it was on all fingers of the ai glove used.
    What would ye make of that?
    Have noticed small amounts of blood at ai the odd time down through years but this was more notable.

While on the topic of Ai - Noticed blood on inside of the glove used this evening, not massive amount but still fair amount that I noticed it was on all fingers of the ai glove used.
    What would ye make of that?
    Have noticed small amounts of blood at ai the odd time down through years but this was more notable.

I wouldn’t be worried about it but it’s better to be gentle with them.
    Does he use lubricating gel?

• Advertisement

First Excel (LM4027) calf born here today. A little on the big side but fine shape to her already. She was literally jumping round the place when I found her.

Advertisement