Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mf240 wrote: »
    Fine cows.

They flt cross jersey looks to be a fine big cow. Usually you see that cross the other way round. With the jersey being the sire and the holstien the dam.

We did it backwards :D
    jersey was dam Hol was the sire and then hol again

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

calved a heifer at 4 am, calf coming backwards, tough job, got him out alive with jack

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    calved a heifer at 4 am, calf coming backwards, tough job, got him out alive with jack

While suffering from the flu.....nice one

Reggie. wrote: »
    While suffering from the flu.....nice one
    had to get oh to help me , was weak :(

had to get oh to help me , was weak :(

I can imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Calving Jack broke, handle on the ratchet, anybody else have problems with jack breaking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Had a calf come backwards here today too. A big LGL (Charolais) bull. A 3 year old Seep Tee Jay cow and her second calf. I couldn't believe how big the and open the cow was inside, but she just couldn't push him out. He came handy enough with just the ropes.
    Cow went mad then and wouldn't let me near the calf. Managed to get a rope halter on her through the gate as she was head-butting it. The things you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Nettleman wrote: »
    Calving Jack broke, handle on the ratchet, anybody else have problems with jack breaking?

No problems breaking, the odd one of it being misplaced when you need it tho. ... was it an old one or new?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

My red heifer obliged with a gzy heifer calf

stanflt wrote: »
    My red heifer obliged with a gzy heifer calf

What % have you left now stan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

What % have you left now stan

a shameful 16%

stanflt wrote: »
    a shameful 16%

Better than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Milked out wrote: »
    No problems breaking, the odd one of it being misplaced when you need it tho. ... was it an old one or new?
    New, dead calf too. Pictures gone to Manufacturer who is just deciding the size of my cheque.

Nettleman wrote: »
    was looking at our one this morning when using it, can you get replacement pins to go into the 2 thingys that go up and down the side iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Nice hardy sim bull here today,up and sucking in 20min

Into single figure here.
    Will be finished in two weeks I'd these aa keep dropping 2 wks early

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Still got 20 to go, 14 of them May calvers ugh. Only drying the last of them off now! Having said that, the Autumn ladies here still milk utterly rubbish, they never seem to get going, even with silage, maize and plenty parlour nuts, and I got 3 of them back to about 15L/day now. I really cannot afford to ad lib cull my way to compact calving any day soon (would end up needing to replace 1/3 of the herd), I'm thinking instead this year of just leaving the bull out longer, take the hit with the May and possibly June calvers again but hopefully totally minimize carryovers, at least the May/June calver will milk well for the summer and autumn, and then recover well when back to grass in Feb until now. I would probably have to purchase more liquid quota, as we got no bonus on any surplus for Jan milk.

Or am I totally off the radar here, should I just take the hit, cull them and buy in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭visatorro

June calvings are a disaster.I find the calves very weak and the cow doesn't milk. buying in stock is very hit and miss. even if the cows are good quality, I find it stressful on them and they can underperform.
    have eight left. busy last month. cows coming to strong heats, new Hereford bull is lame though. always something!

85% calved, rest calving until the middle of may. Never had as many calving in february /march and i sort of over stretched myself:( dont know whether to go for the same next year or to start a week earlier. Realistically cows wont be out here day and night until the middle of april so feeding space indoors for milkers could be tight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

visatorro wrote: »
    June calvings are a disaster.I find the calves very weak and the cow doesn't milk. buying in stock is very hit and miss. even if the cows are good quality, I find it stressful on them and they can underperform.
    have eight left. busy last month. cows coming to strong heats, new Hereford bull is lame though. always something!

Agree on June/July calves especially with sucklers as they're only coming good on the second winter.
    When I hear older ones say "it's great to have them & come into money sometime" drives me mad

• Advertisement

The calves are a byproduct for me tho ha. I got these 20 April/may (and most are in may) calvers, it will not be easy at all for me to pull them back much, if I try to tighten up the calving back to say April I'll probably end up with 20 carryovers again, compounding my problem with too many autumn calving cows who milk sh1te in the early lactation. Hmmm f*ckit maybe I just need a diet feeder, go the whole hog ha. But nay this compact calving is going to take time defo.

Timmaay wrote: »
    The calves are a byproduct for me tho ha. I got these 20 April/may (and most are in may) calvers, it will not be easy at all for me to pull them back much, if I try to tighten up the calving back to say April I'll probably end up with 20 carryovers again, compounding my problem with too many autumn calving cows who milk sh1te in the early lactation. Hmmm f*ckit maybe I just need a diet feeder, go the whole hog ha. But nay this compact calving is going to take time defo.
    how long is your autumn calving block? have 2 groups here now end of august until end of october and end og january until sometime in may

Shiney metal disease Timmaay :D

I'd loose the plot if we were still hadn't a compact calving herd.

I'd loose the plot if we were still hadn't a compact calving herd.

I've well lost the plot by now ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Last 1in for calving. Kya is the job to bring back calving dates:-)

Shed is getting empty now

Shed is getting empty now

The end is in sight hey

how long is your autumn calving block? have 2 groups here now end of august until end of october and end og january until sometime in may

Autumn block good actually, 17th sept till 1st nov. I did pull the plug very sharply and let a good 10cows or so carry over to this spring, I had 17 served already, which is too many autumn calvers for me anyways. 2 of the spring carryovers still bulling now, so they will get the chop once their litres go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

What do you do with Late calvers to try and get them to go back in calf quicker?

Advertisement