Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Dawned on me this morning any calf that I stomached tubed this spring were the ones that got scours
    any teat fed ones have had no scours
    what disenfectant are ye putting your stomach tubes in?

Stomach tubes and teat attachments washed and kept in Milton between uses. Colostrum must be kept in clean container also. Big difference between bacteria and antibodies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Stomach tubes and teat attachments washed and kept in Milton between uses. Colostrum must be kept in clean container also. Big difference between bacteria and antibodies

Milton that's the stuff couldn't think of the name.
    No colostrum left out here. Cow is either milked and calf fed or colostrum is thawed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Dawned on me this morning any calf that I stomached tubed this spring were the ones that got scours
    any teat fed ones have had no scours
    what disenfectant are ye putting your stomach tubes in?
    not just the stomach tubes that need to be clean, dump buckets and cows teats need to be spotless as well when taking colostrum. Calfs gut walls absorb anything that reaches it so if colostrum is contaminated in any way the calf will absorb bacteria as well as antibodies.

trixi2011 wrote: »
    not just the stomach tubes that need to be clean, dump buckets and cows teats need to be spotless as well when taking colostrum. Calfs gut walls absorb anything that reaches it so if colostrum is contaminated in any way the calf will absorb bacteria as well as antibodies.

Yep all feeders and buckets left in spent detergent each night.
    It's not good enough for the tube though it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Are you giving them to much in one go gg?

A suckler calf will eat plenty of sh!t off the teats naturally. Ones that got the teat will stop when full they haven't that choice with the tube. Iv noticed small je calves might only take 1.5l of beastings on first feed with the teat but a good size fr might take 4l

• Advertisement

Are you giving them to much in one go gg?

A suckler calf will eat plenty of sh!t off the teats naturally. Ones that got the teat will stop when full they haven't that choice with the tube. Iv noticed small je calves might only take 1.5l of beastings on first feed with the teat but a good size fr might take 4l
    5l until about 3 wks old then up to 7l in two feeds.
    Calves all taken out as soon as there licked dryish usually about an hour.
    any calf that will suckl a teat ill give them as much as they can drink
    anything that's tubed only gets 2.5 litre

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

set of pb aa twins there this evening both up and sucking when we checked them after milking, bull and a heifer:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Absolute opposite here. Just finished now, in yard since one o'clock. Pulled a horse of a bb bull calf from a cow bad milk fever. Then handled another that had been pricking around since yesterday afternoon. Could make no sense of what I felt. Knew it was a job for the consultant. Vet arrived around 3.30. Toughest c-section I've ever seen. Vet did standard cut and no way would calf come. He had to make a six inch L cut on bottom of standard cut to get calf out. Badly feformed probably schmallamberg. Got her sorted and stitched.

Milk fever case then stood but charged straight out of calving box and slipped as soon as she hit bare concrete. It was milking time by the time we got her loaded and into a paddock. Popped up straight away once she had clay underfoot. We were due one like this. Everything ran too smoothly up to now.

That's hardship Free. Suffered from problems with milk fever etc and changed dry cow feed regime. On GOOD hay for 6weeks from dryoff. Last 2weeks up to speed with maize. No more problems since TG.

ellewood wrote: »
    U should call in for Dawg on ue way to cheer him up:-)

Whaddya mean?? I'm always in good form! :)

I'm taking a leaf outa Dawgs book and taking no holiday..........NOT

West Clare in July

It's been out of necessity that I couldn't take holidays the last few years. Looking like it may happen again this year...too many irons in the fire. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dawggone wrote: »
    It's been out of necessity that I couldn't take holidays the last few years. Looking like it may happen again this year...too many irons in the fire. :(

2bh holidays for me are utter hell also, ridiculously stressful week leading up to them always, but I'd go insane if I didn't have the 3 months leading up to them to look forward to etc. Different generation maybe, certainly to my dad ha.

Timmaay wrote: »
    2bh holidays for me are utter hell also, ridiculously stressful week leading up to them always, but I'd go insane if I didn't have the 3 months leading up to them to look forward to etc. Different generation maybe, certainly to my dad ha.

Christ above but I need a holiday as much as the next man!!
    But I'd rather the buzz of business...
    TBH I enjoyed my days work today. Got a few day old chickens coming tomorrow and had to get chicken house heating up to speed etc...lovely work with no phone ringing because it's sunday. Grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Jesus, its like lambing live here since 4 this afternoon.

3 calved yesterday afternoon and nothing till 4pm today. 12 calved since and one at it as I type.

The finish line draws near. Had a quiet week with 2s and 3s. This usually happens with transition from ai to bull but its all hands to the pump this week by the looks of things.

Glad we got fert and slurry done this week. Only job outside yard this week is letting out 2 grps of OAD calves tomorrow.

Need to apply for Derrogation this week also

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

3 calved yesterday afternoon and nothing till 4pm today. 12 calved since and one at it as I type.

The finish line draws near. Had a quiet week with 2s and 3s. This usually happens with transition from ai to bull but its all hands to the pump this week by the looks of things.

Glad we got fert and slurry done this week. Only job outside yard this week is letting out 2 grps of OAD calves tomorrow.

Can of beer waiting for ya in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Timmaay wrote: »
    Off skiing for the week here, only have 2 that I'd say will pop during week, bloody hope neither cause any trouble as such ha!

Enjoy Tim, where u off to? Had a bunch of friends from here just back from a trip to Ischgl in Austria, they said it was the business. Feckers sending me pictures of the fun they were having, and poor me at home green with envy!

Great to get calving out of the way fast..
    No break here until August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Christ above but I need a holiday as much as the next man!!
    But I'd rather the buzz of business...
    TBH I enjoyed my days work today. Got a few day old chickens coming tomorrow and had to get chicken house heating up to speed etc...lovely work with no phone ringing because it's sunday. Grand.

Had to get in the habit of starting office work at 5.30-6 until 9 as couldn't get stuff done as everyone wants you then. At least with laptop can work anywhere but stop working by 5.30pm, it can wait unless it's a combine or a drill.

B+B chickens? there for 60 days or so?

Take a holiday, a week away can give a little time to think

Enjoy Tim, where u off to? Had a bunch of friends from here just back from a trip to Ischgl in Austria, they said it was the business. Feckers sending me pictures of the fun they were having, and poor me at home green with envy!

Tignes, conditions perfect here, I'll refrain from posting up photos ha. On a solo trip with the UCPA/action outdoors, great craic, would recommend it to anyone!

Blackgrass wrote: »
    Had to get in the habit of starting office work at 5.30-6 until 9 as couldn't get stuff done as everyone wants you then. At least with laptop can work anywhere but stop working by 5.30pm, it can wait unless it's a combine or a drill.

B+B chickens? there for 60 days or so?

Take a holiday, a week away can give a little time to think

Likewise, I like an early start to get office work out of the way...

Yea the chickens are B&B but in for 180 days as they are future reproductors.

Absolutely must try and take hols this year but it may be difficult.

Likewise, I like an early start to get office work out of the way...

Yea the chickens are B&B but in for 180 days as they are future reproductors.

Absolutely must try and take hols this year but it may be difficult.

Could do a farm swap Dawggone? ?

• Advertisement

Could do a farm swap Dawggone? ?

I think that's called a busman's holiday :)

Anyhow wtf would you do when you came back to a herd of leggy Holsteins?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

That's hardship Free. Suffered from problems with milk fever etc and changed dry cow feed regime. On GOOD hay for 6weeks from dryoff. Last 2weeks up to speed with maize. No more problems since TG.

I try to have dry cow diet containing all of the ingredients of milkers. Find steaming up difficult to justify as group could often be quite small. Will probably move to it as numbers rise. We've been using the same mineral for a few years but there have been too many problems with it this year.

I think that's called a busman's holiday :)

Anyhow wtf would you do when you came back to a herd of leggy Holsteins?

I'll bring a je bull with me don't worry :D:D

The hure would have you killed before you got here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Just going to put the last 7 springers out on a bare paddock. Need the space for buffer feeding. Group of older autumn calving heifers going with the maidens plus one cull who was supposed to be in calf. Only animals indoors now are calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'd love to see ya stick him into the overhead compartment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'd love to see ya stick him into the overhead compartment :D

I'd say he'd fit too.

Miname wrote: »
    I'd say he'd fit too.

Me or the bull ??? :D

Me or the bull ??? :D

More chance of the bull :p. You are 6.2 or so ha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Read somewhere that the first jersey imported into NZ killed its handler on the dock just after disembarking..

Advertisement