Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

whelan2 wrote: »
    was it full term or early?

Full term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

First white head here in 20 yrs this morning. 3 more born in assisted since.

Some relief as bull hadn't any cslves on the ground before. My worry was calving ease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Some relief as bull hadn't any cslves on the ground before. My worry was calving ease

Ai ?
    Code pls if so. U used a fr bull that threw an enormous amount of bull calves. What was he?
    All info like that helps :)

Is bull purebred or a scrub?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

last four calvings to Herford have resulted in 4 dead calves and one cow down for a week cows weren't over fat either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

trixi2011 wrote: »
    last four calvings to Herford have resulted in 4 dead calves and one cow down for a week cows weren't over fat either.
    Are we getting more dead calves this year than other years (excluding fodder crisis). Some people think the silage made in 2014 was not as good quality as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Nettleman wrote: »
    Are we getting more dead calves this year than other years (excluding fodder crisis). Some people think the silage made in 2014 was not as good quality as normal.
    calves were alive when for a while but died soon after calving massive calves couldn't get your hands round the legs they were so thick. Our silage was very poor which led to some other problems this spring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

First of the last here last night. BB heifer out of a cow that was within a fortnight of being factoried in February 2014. Scanned not in calf oul boy got suspicious of her, said she looked like she was springing. Put her on hard rations for a few days and she calved on her own. One of the smallest cows in the place but an utter tyrant while at the same time being as quite as a lamb to handle. Hopefully the link comes through. Picture of the little one sitting on her back a couple of weeks ago.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Is bull purebred or a scrub?

PB Polled.

Ai ?
    Code pls if so. U used a fr bull that threw an enormous amount of bull calves. What was he?
    All info like that helps :)

Stock bull. If choosing ai be sure calving score is less than 2

• Advertisement

PB Polled.

:)

Stock bull. If choosing ai be sure calving score is less than 2

Less if poss . No differentiation between suckler and dairy maidens with that percentage. You would need to dig deeper into figures for comfort. High rel a must imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Less if poss . No differentiation between suckler and dairy maidens with that percentage. You would need to dig deeper into figures for comfort. High rel a must imo.
    Some fellas think 4% is ok for maidens, I beg to differ. Another fella told me cows can take 20% no problem, I wouldn't do it meself:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Nettleman wrote: »
    Some fellas think 4% is ok for maidens, I beg to differ. Another fella told me cows can take 20% no problem, I wouldn't do it meself:rolleyes:

I've had heifers calve down to Bulls with 11% difficulty and no issues. It's the odd big lump that catches you out. I'd be happy enough with anything under 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,231 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

just calved my red and white hmy heifer, she had an angus heifer calf, hope thats it for tonight

Angus cow calved there. She first calved in October then august,last year in may and this year in march

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭High bike

Angus cow calved there. She first calved in October then august,last year in may and this year in march
    Jasus she's paying her way:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Jaysus do you throw her to the bull the minute the calf is out!!

Using kiwi bull FFS on last of the cows incalf to fr. Nice square calves with a short gestation . Noticed earlier he has an easy calving rating on icbf with a high rel. DO NOT put him on heifers .
    Thats the public service announcement out of the way :)

4 nice heifers calved last night. All sexed semen. All 4 up and drinking. Unaided because nobody got outa bed. Happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I'm a week and a half checking a cow to calve and it's driving me cracked.full elder,she's dropping and lifting the bones like a yoyo. She has a tendency to push out her bearing a slight bit, so you have to actually put her up to see if anything is coming.

Dawggone wrote: »
    4 nice heifers calved last night. All sexed semen. All 4 up and drinking. Unaided because nobody got outa bed. Happy out.

Absolute opposite here. Just finished now, in yard since one o'clock. Pulled a horse of a bb bull calf from a cow bad milk fever. Then handled another that had been pricking around since yesterday afternoon. Could make no sense of what I felt. Knew it was a job for the consultant. Vet arrived around 3.30. Toughest c-section I've ever seen. Vet did standard cut and no way would calf come. He had to make a six inch L cut on bottom of standard cut to get calf out. Badly feformed probably schmallamberg. Got her sorted and stitched.

Milk fever case then stood but charged straight out of calving box and slipped as soon as she hit bare concrete. It was milking time by the time we got her loaded and into a paddock. Popped up straight away once she had clay underfoot. We were due one like this. Everything ran too smoothly up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Off skiing for the week here, only have 2 that I'd say will pop during week, bloody hope neither cause any trouble as such ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Timmaay wrote: »
    Off skiing for the week here, only have 2 that I'd say will pop during week, bloody hope neither cause any trouble as such ha!

U should call in for Dawg on ue way to cheer him up:-)

enjoy,13 weeks til we go on holidays, cant wait

enjoy,13 weeks til we go on holidays, cant wait

We'll be back in 12.

We'll be back in 12.

I'm taking a leaf outa Dawgs book and taking no holiday..........NOT

West Clare in July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Dawned on me this morning any calf that I stomached tubed this spring were the ones that got scours
    any teat fed ones have had no scours
    what disenfectant are ye putting your stomach tubes in?

Dawned on me this morning any calf that I stomached tubed this spring were the ones that got scours
    any teat fed ones have had no scours
    what disenfectant are ye putting your stomach tubes in?

Plenty of hot water immediately. Rinse again before use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Enjoy

Not jealous At all

Advertisement