Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Bullocks wrote: »
    Where are ya ? I'd love a well priced he heifer !

Waterford. Ha ha problem is I like em well priced myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Calving 15 wrapped up.great season tbh.started 26 jab finished today ,just short of 11 weeks.3% mortality all dead at birth.and what pleased me most 76% heifers to Bulls from a1 Frieisan with last one born 8 March .break now till breeding which will start 26 April

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Waterford. Ha ha problem is I like em well priced myself :)

That wouldn't suit bullocks :D

I've no bother travelling for stock ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Last 2 calved this morning.

2 Heifers first one a massive bull no problem spat it out
    Second one a little heifer calf christ she put the water back out at 5 and I finished the pull at 9.15. Didnt even present the head.

woeful cold day to stick them in the field might wait until Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

9 down 5 to go going well so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

2 so far today, first cow had an aa heifer coming backwards and upside down, calf was gone by the time I got her out. 2nd was a lively aa heifer and a 3rd cow has the feet out now. Never seen a calf come upside down before. Couldn't turn her altho it felt like the calf was gone before i started pulling

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Milked out wrote: »
    2 so far today, first cow had an aa heifer coming backwards and upside down, calf was gone by the time I got her out. 2nd was a lively aa heifer and a 3rd cow has the feet out now. Never seen a calf come upside down before. Couldn't turn her altho it felt like the calf was gone before i started pulling
    its alot harder to calve them when they are dead:( had 1 calved today after a week of no calves, 15 left to calve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Had two upside downs this year got both calves out alive but lost a cow with a punctured womb, timing is everything you literally have a couple of minutes to get them out alive once you go trying to get them turned, the trick is to try and get your two hands in and try turn the head up around with one hand while pulling the leg at the same time to whip the calf around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Neighbour had a monster charolais upside down and backwards aswell the other day. They couldn't come more arseways, got him out alive just about.

was bedding the calving shhed earlier, noticed a heifer with a sunken eye, rang vet, calf bed badly twisted, we rolled the heifer 5 or 6 times and got the womb straightened. Heifer was in shock, vet said calf was dead, too late to start a section as heifer would die during it. We put the heifer down, She showed no signs of calving at all:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    was bedding the calving shhed earlier, noticed a heifer with a sunken eye, rang vet, calf bed badly twisted, we rolled the heifer 5 or 6 times and got the womb straightened. Heifer was in shock, vet said calf was dead, too late to start a section as heifer would die during it. We put the heifer down, She showed no signs of calving at all:(

It's only ever a matter of when. No matter how much you mind them you can't account for those episodes.

Balls to that

It's only ever a matter of when. No matter how much you mind them you can't account for those episodes.
    annoyed me as i was wondering did i miss her over over the last few days when i was busy, vet said it would have been hard to notice her, she was in shed beside house so was keeping an eye on her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

annoyed me as i was wondering did i miss her over over the last few days when i was busy, vet said it would have been hard to notice her, she was in shed beside house so was keeping an eye on her
    There's only so much you can do,these things happen from time to time unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Had two upside downs this year got both calves out alive but lost a cow with a punctured womb, timing is everything you literally have a couple of minutes to get them out alive once you go trying to get them turned, the trick is to try and get your two hands in and try turn the head up around with one hand while pulling the leg at the same time to whip the calf around

Had feck all room to work, was struggling g to get one hand in, cow has cleaned yday so should be fine. calf got caught at ribs coming upside down where as if she was the right way up and backwards she would of come out fine but something new learned anyway at least

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Had feck all room to work, was struggling g to get one hand in, cow has cleaned yday so should be fine. calf got caught at ribs coming upside down where as if she was the right way up and backwards she would of come out fine but something new learned anyway at least

Another thing that tends to happen if they're upside down is they don't put the waterbags out so your facing having to burst the bags and trying to not drown the calf while getting it our as quick as possible

Jasus lads that all sounds very technical,id think id be calling the vet if i came across that

At last finished for the year,last one this evening a 2yo Lim heifer calved on her own a lovely AA heifer JGY.Took her a while to get up but all seems well now,happy days the end.

High bike wrote: »
    At last finished for the year,last one this evening a 2yo Lim heifer calved on her own a lovely AA heifer JGY.Took her a while to get up but all seems well now,happy days the end.

What will ya do with your evenings now

Reggie. wrote: »
    What will ya do with your evenings now
    might try and get a bit of bar work to keep me busy:)

• Advertisement

might try and get a bit of bar work to keep me busy:)

God forbid you had even spare time for that :)

Reggie. wrote: »
    God forbid you had even spare time for that :)
    could pretend I'm working and stay at the right side of the counter:D

could pretend I'm working and stay at the right side of the counter:D

Cheeky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

5 calves the last 4 days, back in the thick of it ugh. 2 heifers also. Another 14 to go, not finished till 1st June. Gota sort out this mess of a calving spread.

Timmaay wrote: »
    5 calves the last 4 days, back in the thick of it ugh. 2 heifers also. Another 14 to go, not finished till 1st June. Gota sort out this mess of a calving spread.
    9 left....... hate waiting on them

another one calved this morning, calf is tag number 2000, wonder what will have happened by the time we reach tag number 3000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

another one calved this morning, calf is tag number 2000, wonder what will have happened by the time we reach tag number 3000

Almost hit 1500 here. I may try catch up with ya :p

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

my next one is 0006, Cattle rancher or what :-)

sako 85 wrote: »
    my next one is 0006, Cattle rancher or what :-)
    i remember my calf that was 0001 it was born dead, great start:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Calving finished 😆 no more till October.
    If I could get dad to sell these AA now it'd be less work again

Advertisement