Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options
1697071727375»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Depending on how far forward and if the cow is pushing with awkward twins the epidural the vet gives can make all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Over half way now 10 bulls and 17 hefirs. One dead a twin backwards middle of the night and I left going to pull second one too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sick all week. In bed all day since Wednesday. Weak as water. Cow looked like she'd calf last night. Plan was to check her in middle of night. Left her till morning and of course she calved in the yard. Sheds full here so into wheelbarrow, dumped in field and me back to bed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Job done went down again and she was still doing nothing so I handled her and decided to pull got a bull calf out. Another calf inside her was dead for some time with a hit to do we got him out. Felt all along it was going to be a mixed success. Not so bad to get it done before bedtime

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just had a cow calf there. She's over 10 years old and very quiet. I was helping the calf to drink her and noticed one of her quarters is solid and a putrid smell from the milk. Even the teat is hard. Mastitis?
    Now I've had cows loose quarters before and often the milk would be extra thick but never with a smell like this before.

What's the best course of action, keep stripping her out? Would she need a shot of something like penstrip?

(That post was on 15 Feb). I got two bottles of Noroclav at the time and it seemed to keep it in check. Problem is it has flaired up again. Cow isnt sick but quarter if very swollen now. Put her in this morning and milked her a bit. A lot of white puss came down. I saw her dripping from quarter yesterday. Should I just keep milking her out or would a tube be better for her or maybe get the vet?
    She's a suckler, by the way.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Just had a cow calf there. She's over 10 years old and very quiet. I was helping the calf to drink her and noticed one of her quarters is solid and a putrid smell from the milk. Even the teat is hard. Mastitis?
    Now I've had cows loose quarters before and often the milk would be extra thick but never with a smell like this before.

What's the best course of action, keep stripping her out? Would she need a shot of something like penstrip?

(That post was on 15 Feb). I got two bottles of Noroclav at the time and it seemed to keep it in check. Problem is it has flaired up again. Cow isnt sick but quarter if very swollen now. Put her in this morning and milked her a bit. A lot of white puss came down. I saw her dripping from quarter yesterday. Should I just keep milking her out or would a tube be better for her or maybe get the vet?
    She's a suckler, by the way.

Cobacton tubes for a few days and a bottle of tylosan would be your best bet

Advertisement