Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,228 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

last heifer in for calving- had a job getting her into calving pen from field- shes a lhz, they are lovely heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

calf tag 100 yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Remember been at Tom brownes walk last summer and nearly sure we seen a cow in the 11 thousands,be a long while before I get there !!,last tag here this year 1299

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Remember been at Tom brownes walk last summer and nearly sure we seen a cow in the 11 thousands,be a long while before I get there !!,last tag here this year 1299

That's a lot of jacking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Reggie. wrote: »
    That's a lot of jacking :D

I couldn't bring me self to put tag 113on a calf a few weeks back. its still in the box, and will likely go in the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Nettleman wrote: »
    I couldn't bring me self to put tag 113on a calf a few weeks back. its still in the box, and will likely go in the fire.

The 0113 we had is still here, thirteen years old now and has thirteen calves to her name!!:eek:

Dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUN

*Kovus farm explodes*

Kovu wrote: »
    The 0113 we had is still here, thirteen years old now and has thirteen calves to her name!!:eek:

Dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUN

*Kovus farm explodes*

You have a farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

How are the import sims going Reggie? Any easier than last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You have a farm

Well as aforementioned cow is in a pen with two of my animals, yes. Technically most of my farm explodes :D

How are the import sims going Reggie? Any easier than last year?

Not too bad. About 7 calved so far and only one needed the jack. They seem to be a little more relaxed when calving this year.

No sections yet anyways but we have one massive girl or either twins or a monster inside her

• Advertisement

4 left here now, reckon 1 of them is empty, calved one there after milking calf was massive, had to jack it out , big angus heifer calf. Anyone else notice calves come alot bigger at this time of year?

whelan2 wrote: »
    4 left here now, reckon 1 of them is empty, calved one there after milking calf was massive, had to jack it out , big angus heifer calf. Anyone else notice calves come alot bigger at this time of year?

Was going to say you had a few big calves lately

Was going to say you had a few big calves lately
    had a massive aa bull earlier today too-well i didnt the cow did

had a massive aa bull earlier today too-well i didnt the cow did

Dammit bet me to it :D. Well if i could take more and all that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

ah this time of year--calves can be bigger+cows mayb fatter..re lead to hard calvings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Yeah last 2 calves vert big. Both to AA bull kya who spits then out these were v big

cow calved there this evening, first may calver, angus calf , 2 left now to calve , should be done in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

cow calved there this evening, first may calver, angus calf , 2 left now to calve , should be done in the next few days

Lucky you ha, another 8 here, last one due June 1st, let's hope she is at least a day early ha. 5 or 6 calved in the past few days though, at least our Peak supply still ahead of us :p.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Lucky you ha, another 8 here, last one due June 1st, let's hope she is at least a day early ha. 5 or 6 calved in the past few days though, at least our Peak supply still ahead of us :p.
    bull was out from cows here but kids favourite cow- an angus fr x - was in heat and i let bull back in and he served 3 of them, this year when bull comes out he is going straight to outfarm so i cant get sentimental

bull was out from cows here but kids favourite cow- an angus fr x - was in heat and i let bull back in and he served 3 of them, this year when bull comes out he is going straight to outfarm so i cant get sentimental

Tell me about it, somehow got a cow due to calf mid August, my dad obviously let the bull into her some day I was away last autumn :-/

• Advertisement

Finally last calf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Finally last calf

Wouldn't calving cows in conditions like that make you question the sanity of what we were at from January to March.

Thought I was finished ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

Thought I was finished ha!

Finished or just starting winter milking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

stanflt wrote: »
    Finished or just starting winter milking

One lady after drying up here :( hadn't planned on drying of any till mid august

is that a kya?

is that a kya?

Stock bull. Stan I guess it's autumn starting early, she was scanned mid August! She's a heifer who I'd sorta wrote off 2nd ha, calved last Feb but refused to go in calf, despite coils etc. I'd assumed she was empty until scanned in Dec, in fairness she milked on doing 15l/day when I dried her off about 5weeks ago!

Stock bull. Stan I guess it's autumn starting early, she was scanned mid August! She's a heifer who I'd sorta wrote off 2nd ha, calved last Feb but refused to go in calf, despite coils etc. I'd assumed she was empty until scanned in Dec, in fairness she milked on doing 15l/day when I dried her off about 5weeks ago!

Just looked at icbf, 9400l and 767kgms! Not bad for a heifer haha.

just goes to show the value of the bull/natural service:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

First calf of the season. Heifer calf by frosty!

Advertisement