Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Last two heifers calved there within 2 mins of each other 2 aa bulls 16 cows left now. I'd say I'll put in the bull earlier this year and ai alongside him for a week or two and stop earlier and take the hit with calving interval for a year. Just must remember to read this post later in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Definitely going to keep using kya here if I end up have to serve into July.
    Had 10 cows left on Monday to calve 5 now all calving alot of days before there time.
    be great if I was finished before breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭High bike

Do ye find Ai Angus go before their time?

High bike wrote: »
    Do ye find Ai Angus go before their time?

Yep that's what ye want 10-14 days early here

Yep that's what ye want 10-14 days early here
    have a 2yo lim heifer due next sat to jgy a.a so best keep an eye on her so thanks

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    have a 2yo lim heifer due next sat to jgy a.a so best keep an eye on her so thanks

He a ncbc bull?
    sounds familiar bull I'm Using kya great at throwing early have no experience with other AA ai bulls

He a ncbc bull?
    sounds familiar bull I'm Using kya great at throwing early have no experience with other AA ai bulls
    yep he's next to kya on the ncbc catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

had an outbreak of crypto during the week, that and 3 bvd calves was not good.... anyway hope its behind me now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

3 left put cow in before milking checked after milking and a smasher of an Atg Bb heifer trying to suckle.last 3 all well sprung ,in calf to Hereford bull and touch wood will be wrapped up within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1st calving mishap yday, cow calved 10days early in the cubicle shed on the outyard. No scrapers but plenty of muck. Thankfully calf was alright. 21 heifer calves out of 79 calvings due this spring, possibly another 2 to come. Not great at all despite using sexed, however at least sexed has seen 15 of those heifers born before middle of Feb, alot of late calvers due to HE or AA. This breeding season won't start till may 1st here, I'll use very little sexed other than on maybe 5 of my best early Feb cows, instead try and push hard to get as many dairy straws used in the 1st 6wks across the board. Going to breed more for fertility and use some xbred straws also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

Reggie. wrote: »
    Shiney metal disease Timmaay :D

I've cows calved since last sept doing 40 plus litres per day and there calving again in late sept

Don't disrespect a diet feeder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

Timmaay wrote: »
    1st calving mishap yday, cow calved 10days early in the cubicle shed on the outyard. No scrapers but plenty of muck. Thankfully calf was alright. 21 heifer calves out of 79 calvings due this spring, possibly another 2 to come. Not great at all despite using sexed, however at least sexed has seen 15 of those heifers born before middle of Feb, alot of late calvers due to HE or AA. This breeding season won't start till may 1st here, I'll use very little sexed other than on maybe 5 of my best early Feb cows, instead try and push hard to get as many dairy straws used in the 1st 6wks across the board. Going to breed more for fertility and use some xbred straws also.

Ai d two cows this am- bit early but 3 weeks time will be a bit late- plus one of these cows is doing 61 litres at grass

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

stanflt wrote: »
    I've cows calved since last sept doing 40 plus litres per day and there calving again in late sept

Don't disrespect a diet feeder

You think I'm disrespecting machinery. Me of all people Stan. .....shame on you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You think I'm disrespecting machinery. Me of all people Stan. .....shame on you :)

I've zero issues with diet feeders in general also, but for me moving forward there are several other items which would make for much better investments on the farm here, notably more cows, slurry storage, grazing infrastructure and reseeding. When I'm maxed out on the SR (with no realistic opportunities to expand land), and got everything else sorted I'll look at options like diet feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 montiman

mahoney_j wrote: »
    3 left put cow in before milking checked after milking and a smasher of an Atg Bb heifer trying to suckle.last 3 all well sprung ,in calf to Hereford bull and touch wood will be wrapped up within a week.
    on a differant note
    just wondering if you are a arrabawn supplier if so what are they like

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Finished. Last one done. Ho bull calf, 4 litres tubed. Calved the last eight in paddock behind house over past fortnight. Whole crop and a small allocation of grass. All bar one not handled at all and she was having twins.

Never finished though. Six served between today and yesterday with another three let on as only March calvers, get them in three weeks time. Another couple for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Finished. Last one done. Ho bull calf, 4 litres tubed. Calved the last eight in paddock behind house over past fortnight. Whole crop and a small allocation of grass. All bar one not handled at all and she was having twins.

Never finished though. Six served between today and yesterday with another three let on as only March calvers, get them in three weeks time. Another couple for the morning.

Watching one now .3 to go after that . Not serving till the 20th .

montiman wrote: »
    on a differant note
    just wondering if you are a arrabawn supplier if so what are they like

You thinking of joining us,we're a farmer owned coop but at a much smaller scale than say a Glanbia or dairy gold .currently paying a very good milk price,history wouldn't be great when it comes to paying a strong price though.serious investment in plant and capacity recently which has given us a lot more processing capability .gas line currently been piped to plant which is going to give a saving of 1 cent per ltre.no Msa to sign....yet think long and hard before chopping and changing your milk purchaser .im guessing your from Wexford,Carlow kk region.....

Last one in calving pen tonight,hopefully a nice he calf to greet me in am.wont start Ai on cows till 26 April and heifers till 01 May.nice break till then.all cows and heifers bloused today for breeding with mayo health care all guard bolus

Last one in calving pen tonight,hopefully a nice he calf to greet me in am.wont start Ai on cows till 26 April and heifers till 01 May.nice break till then.all cows and heifers bloused today for breeding with mayo health care all guard bolus

What other level of minerals will you feed the milkers. Did you double bolus the cows.

• Advertisement

What other level of minerals will you feed the milkers. Did you double bolus the cows.

There is a bioplex mineral pack in nut which I will keep in till early May .just a single bolus and I will add 1cc per cow per day of lugiols iodine to cows and heifers water troughs each day from 20 April to end of breeding season.

There is a bioplex mineral pack in nut which I will keep in till early May .just a single bolus and I will add 1cc per cow per day of lugiols iodine to cows and heifers water troughs each day from 20 April to end of breeding season.

so its a basic mineral pack ,supplemented with a half rate bolus plus added iodine..
    how/why did you settle on this regime?

so its a basic mineral pack ,supplemented with a half rate bolus plus added iodine..
    how/why did you settle on this regime?

Mineral pack in nut since calving to build and maintain levels pre breeding .bolus now to cover and maintain levels through breeding .no need to double bolus and blood iodine levels in cows was low and a few years back I lost s load of calves at birth,full term but dead at birth .vets advice iodine in water and also took bloods which showed very low levels.lads up in Mayo also said I'd be well covered doing as I outlined above,I agreed so dose my vet and also nutritionist .been doing this for a few years and a marked improvement.low mortality rates,healthy lively calves ,very little calving issues and compact calving/breeding seasons

Mineral pack in nut since calving to build and maintain levels pre breeding .bolus now to cover and maintain levels through breeding .no need to double bolus and blood iodine levels in cows was low and a few years back I lost s load of calves at birth,full term but dead at birth .vets advice iodine in water and also took bloods which showed very low levels.lads up in Mayo also said I'd be well covered doing as I outlined above,I agreed so dose my vet and also nutritionist .been doing this for a few years and a marked improvement.low mortality rates,healthy lively calves ,very little calving issues and compact calving/breeding seasons

how do u cover for mag

how do u cover for mag

Cal mag in nut,cows feed all through lactation in parlour

Cal mag in nut,cows feed all through lactation in parlour

sorry I misread you and thought you stopped minerals after you bloused.
    so your topping up parlour fed minerals(protected?)with a single bolus and iodine .
    I was just wondering initially were you overdoing the mins but obviously your well advised that a single bolus is not overdoing it and it stands to reason with high output girls .

I see on the camera that my calf has arrived :). naval and a splash of beistings and bed. good luck

sorry I misread you and thought you stopped minerals after you bloused.
    so your topping up parlour fed minerals(protected?)with a single bolus and iodine .
    I was just wondering initially were you overdoing the mins but obviously your well advised that a single bolus is not overdoing it and it stands to reason with high output girls .

I see on the camera that my calf has arrived :). naval and a splash of beistings and bed. good luck

And before midnight. Very nice of her

And before midnight. Very nice of her

Just back .nice HE heifer. It would be a long way for ya to come I suppose ???

If it was a bull. We would talk :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Where are ya ? I'd love a well priced he heifer !

Advertisement