Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

6 calves on the ground in the last week, all heifers. If I was dairying I would be sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

3 heifers calved and 4 female calves from sexed semen. All unaided. Calves up and drinking. Handy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Dawggone wrote: »
    3 heifers calved and 4 female calves from sexed semen. All unaided. Calves up and drinking. Handy out.

Is sexed semen working well over there?
    I'm nearly tempted to try it after seeing how well friends got on with it, but then I remember how poor conception rare in heifers was last yr.

one mate had 50% conception rate to first serve with sexed semen and then 25% out of last 50% had heifers too.
    75% heifers not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I'm nearly tempted to try it after seeing how well friends got on with it, but then I remember how poor conception rare in heifers was last yr.

one mate had 50% conception rate to first serve with sexed semen and then 25% out of last 50% had heifers too.
    75% heifers not bad

If u want a compact calving season with good conception rates don't use sexed ,yet.id love to give it a go but not willing to risk what has taken a long time to perfect and maintain ,compact calving.concentrrate on getting heifers to correct weight,get mineral status correct ,Ai for a week then sync remainder and let off bull or else watch for anotger 3 weeks to pick up any repeats then let bull off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

First calf arrived yesterday evening. Missed it due to being on duty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

mahoney_j wrote: »
    If u want a compact calving season with good conception rates don't use sexed ,yet.id love to give it a go but not willing to risk what has taken a long time to perfect and maintain ,compact calving.concentrrate on getting heifers to correct weight,get mineral status correct ,Ai for a week then sync remainder and let off bull or else watch for anotger 3 weeks to pick up any repeats then let bull off.

I was going to say that. If you've good fert front load your heifers and forget sexed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

It does look the tech is ot quitethere yet ut in these things it wont take long before they get it right

mahoney_j wrote: »

Did 73% calved here in 6 wks from predicted start of calving and that was with dad not letting me serve cows until 6 wks calved. Definitely Hope to hit 90% next yr in 6 wks.
    will wait till first week of AI is done on heifers before I decide if ill sync or not

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did 73% calved here in 6 wks from predicted start of calving and that was with dad not letting me serve cows until 6 wks calved. Definitely Hope to hit 90% next yr in 6 wks.
    will wait till first week of AI is done on heifers before I decide if ill sync or not
    did you scan the autumn calvers yet?

whelan2 wrote: »
    did you scan the autumn calvers yet?

Nope doubt we'll Bother. Always here if there served and not bulling there incalf. Reckon I've 5 empty out of 33. Which isn't bad considering I didn't want to serve on and ive gone from 12 wks calving to 6

• Advertisement

have another question for ya:) i see from some of your pics some of your cows have horns , do they fight? Skulled a 2 year old heifer yesterday, she was beating the crap out of everything in sight-not anymore-

have another question for ya:) i see from some of your pics some of your cows have horns , do they fight? Skulled a 2 year old heifer yesterday, she was beating the crap out of everything in sight-not anymore-

Theres about 6 cows with horns the only time they fight is when say we dry off a bunch of cows to go with a group of dry cows. But mostly there okay.
    have one jersey with a perfect pair of horns who will give any cow a dart in the arse if not moving out of parlour quick enough For her

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Used sexed here this year, now that the dust is settling I'll admit defeat with it, just too many heifers have ran late to the bull. It worked very well with my best 1st serve always Feb cows, we got a tidy group of early Feb heifer calves now, but as others said it isn't helping me achieve my compact calving. Our winter bonus means the late spring calvers will still be very profitable but without that I'd have thrown away alot of litres this year as a result of sexed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

We have one cow with horns but shes not to agressive with her herdmates but she knows she can bully them if she wants.

We had a twoyear old incalf heifer here a couple of years ago with full horns and she was a bast@rd for bullying. Got the vet to remove same. That cooled her hole!!

75% heifers not bad

That batch worked well in fairness.
    Synchronization is a no-no with sexed.
    Put them in paddock close to yard and got them used to coming in for 3 or 4 days...paint and Kmars and serve when bulling. All were served in 16 days with 100% conception rate.
    Started with 35 heifers in-calf but lost 7 to sbv...but that's another story.

Scanned a batch of cows today. 92 scanned 90 in-calf. Happy days. Hard to beat a few Bulls!!
    Many thanks to Frazzled for damn good advice!!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Used sexed here this year, now that the dust is settling I'll admit defeat with it, just too many heifers have ran late to the bull. It worked very well with my best 1st serve always Feb cows, we got a tidy group of early Feb heifer calves now, but as others said it isn't helping me achieve my compact calving. Our winter bonus means the late spring calvers will still be very profitable but without that I'd have thrown away alot of litres this year as a result of sexed!

Tim,

Considering your current location and the fact that ladies/gents become very receptive après ski that all talk of semen would be confined to pillow talk.

I'm am sure you'd also be hoping for zero conception despite the fact that you'll be dosing young WANs with the human equivalent of estrumate that being Tequila Vodka and Red Bull

Dawggone wrote: »
    Scanned a batch of cows today. 92 scanned 90 in-calf. Happy days. Hard to beat a few Bulls!!
    Many thanks to Frazzled for damn good advice!!

Great result, its amazing what a wise man can learn from a fool:):)

Great result, its amazing what a wise man can learn from a fool:):)

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

Very few fools hanging out on boards me thinks lol

• Advertisement

Anyone have cows by a bull called STX?
    4 of our oldest cows here are by him.
    seriously hardy cows

4 cows calved this morning and another ready to calve, 80% calved now

4 cows calved this morning and another ready to calve, 80% calved now

Your going well. Must be great having them so close together or is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Anyone have cows by a bull called STX?
    4 of our oldest cows here are by him.
    seriously hardy cows

Lovely cow gg, what lactation is she?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Your going well. Must be great having them so close together or is it
    was a lull there for about a week good to be getting them out of the way and milk in the tank

was a lull there for about a week good to be getting them out of the way and milk in the tank

Yeah we had a bit of a start there now it's a gab of a week or so I'd say before the main lot kicks off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Mighty ruckus here in the middle of the night from the dogs, thought someone was trying to break in. Turned out to be a calf on the way, thought the cow would go another couple of days - just shows what I know. Who needs fancy cameras and such like??

Milked out wrote: »
    Lovely cow gg, what lactation is she?
    this is her 6 th now.
    never gets massive amounts of meal if grass is there does the goods happily.
    I'll pull her back to a feb calver this yr hopefully

There's 2 stx cows beside each other tonight one on far right is lady that calved this morning.
    Other one us calved 3 wks.

And there's one of stans FLTs out of a jex :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

There's 2 stx cows beside each other tonight one on far right is lady that calved this morning.
    Other one us calved 3 wks.

And there's one of stans FLTs out of a jex :)

Fine cows.

They flt cross jersey looks to be a fine big cow. Usually you see that cross the other way round. With the jersey being the sire and the holstien the dam.

Advertisement