Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"the Taoiseach said the discipline of sitting down for a meal creates a different environment to a pub environment."...

But surely that applies whether it came from Chinese next door or the pub kitchen?

the discipline of sitting down for a meal made in the pub in it's own kitchen and with it's own chef must create a different environment as well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

almostover wrote: »
    It's only a recommendation. Was in 2 shops in my local town this evening and I left the mask on walking between them. It's no big deal. I have to wear a mask for 8hrs a day for the days I'm working on site in the factory I work in. It's not a big deal.

I pick a child up from school and the path etc can be a bit crowded . Have worn a mask since September walking up , its actually no big deal at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

almostover wrote: »
    Ya hopefully surgeons stop wearing them when peering into open wounds during surgery

I didn't realise that you were going around with your bits exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I thought there was a survey lately that found masks were of little protection.
    Sounds like a horsesh*t survey. There was one that said they offered the wearer a little protection, but since their purpose is widely acknowledged to be to prevent the wearer from _spreading_ the virus...

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Let me get this right... I'm allowed to go to the cinema with my friend and I'm allowed to go out for dinner with her at a restaurant, but I can't come over to her apartment and order in a pizza?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Hospital test numbers not matching up since 20/11/2020. Yesterday 4420 difference in labs numbers taken yesterday against the downloaded hub numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Ficheall wrote: »
    Sounds like a horsesh*t survey. There was one that said they offered the wearer a little protection, but since their purpose is widely acknowledged to be to prevent the wearer from _spreading_ the virus...

INDOORS, IN CONFINED SPACES Yes ✓

Nothing to say that wearing masks outdoors has any benefit or protection whatsoever. It's a joke.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Hospital test numbers not matching up since 20/11/2020. Yesterday 4420 difference in labs numbers taken yesterday against the downloaded hub numbers

Thought that was a miscommunication in tests yesterday?

They only announced 8019 which was about 50% less than actual tests

Updated today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

For the sheep that want to wear masks 24/7 off ye go and knock yourselves out.just one question to ask.do ye intend to keep them on forever and ever even if the vaccines prove effective and kill it off completely.
    As for Sam mcdonkey how can anyone take him seriously when he predicted 100,000 deaths in Ireland from this thing this yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

INDOORS, IN CONFINED SPACES Yes ✓

Nothing to say that wearing masks outdoors has any benefit or protection whatsoever. It's a joke.
    The indoor/outdoor difference isn't what I or Widdensushi were talking about, afaik.

But I suspect you're right, that in non-busy outdoor spaces where you're not near other people, they make little difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Updated this morning

seamus wrote: »
    Well, this is unexpected.

Yesterday's swab data has been revised.

The number of positive swabs is the same, but the number of tests has been increaed by 50%.

There were 12,439 tests carried out yesterday, 271 positive, giving a p-rate of 2.18%. 7-day rate is now down to 2.65%

So what was confusing and slightly worrying, is now in fact excellent news.

Seamus response today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

boggerman1 wrote: »
    For the sheep that want to wear masks 24/7 off ye go and knock yourselves out.just one question to ask.do ye intend to keep them on forever and ever even if the vaccines prove effective and kill it off completely.
    As for Sam mcdonkey how can anyone take him seriously when he predicted 100,000 deaths in Ireland from this thing this yr.

Can I ask you a very simple question ? Why on earth would it bother you if I wear a mask when I feel I want to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Thought that was a miscommunication in tests yesterday?

They only announced 8019 which was about 50% less than actual tests

Updated today

Thanks for that didn't know. Don't always follow the news and get the data direct from hub.
    I have a download of the hub from 23rd and they match up pretty much inc hospital but hospital numbers are off on the latest download. Roughly about 20 or so difference each day and then the big 4420 in lab numbers yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

boggerman1 wrote: »

How can anyone expect to be taken seriously when they ramble about "Sam mcdonkey"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

pjohnson wrote: »
    How can anyone expect to be taken seriously when they ramble about "Sam mcdonkey"

How can a "expert" who continually gets it so wrong be taken seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Hi all,just in from work....are the easing of restrictions synopsised anywhere?
    Amy one know what the story is with hotels?can they open next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Can we lock this one until 6th January? Thanks, see you on the other side folks. Love to one and all

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

walshb wrote: »
    Pedant my arse..

So his final line was directed at a small amount people that can speak and understand Irish to a fluent level..

Vast majority on the island can’t speak or understand to a fluent level..

So? It's one of our national languages. There's nothing wrong with a small amount of the commentary being in Irish. Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    So? It's one of our national languages. There's nothing wrong with a small amount of the commentary being in Irish. Get over yourself.

One of them?

It is our national language..

I'll leave it there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

OscarMIlde wrote: »

In the Republic of Ireland, Irish is the national language under the Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Hi all,just in from work....are the easing of restrictions synopsised anywhere?
    Amy one know what the story is with hotels?can they open next week?

Open next friday.

Thanks for that didn't know. Don't always follow the news and get the data direct from hub.
    I have a download of the hub from 23rd and they match up pretty much inc hospital but hospital numbers are off on the latest download. Roughly about 20 or so difference each day and then the big 4420 in lab numbers yesterday.

Your stats take effort in fairness to you

Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭prunudo

Vodafone been offline all evening, what did I miss?
    Joking aside, the bits I heard on the news seemed to pretty much what had been leaked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

George Lee predicting a rapid 3rd wave with intense mortality in January ffs RTE

George Lee couldn't predict whether or not the sun will come up tomorrow. He shouldn't be let make ridiculous statements like that without any shred of scrutiny or evidence to back it. We've had 45,000 cases over the past several months and 250 deaths according to a poster on the restrictions thread. Where was the wave of death from that?

I don’t have TV, only streaming stuff, but why in gods name do posters watch RTE every single night, and go nuts when george lee comes on?

If you’re scared of George you can “hide in the corner and let the rest of us get on with it”

Because old Georgie gets brought on to spout his drivel to deliberately scare people. Especially the older demographic who still give rte the time of day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Read parts of the “letter” NPHET sent to the minister. Found it disappointing. They have access to a lot of data but don’t appear to provide any real insight, which doesn’t make sense to me.
    I think restrictions have to be loosened for the sake of people’s mental health and the economy. People have to be allowed to make a living while taking all necessary precautions. 150k people can return to work over the next week? Im happy to hear that.
    I’m sick of hearing the same “message” day after day and listening to the 0 COVID morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

George Lee couldn't predict whether or not the sun will come up tomorrow. He shouldn't be let make ridiculous statements like that without any shred of scrutiny or evidence to back it. We've had 45,000 cases over the past several months and 250 deaths according to a poster on the restrictions thread. Where was the wave of death from that?

No he shouldn't, he's not a health expert and if he was doing his job properly he just be presenting us with the facts rather than being a profit of doom, it's almost as if he's trying to justify his job. His experience of dipping his toe into politics and then running off in a sulk a few months later spoke volumes about the sort of person he is.

Yeah the letter predicts 400 cases per day in January 2021 with the need for a 3 week period of restrictions.

Whatever time frame NPHET give you have to double it to get the actual figure

• Advertisement

froog wrote: »
    i'm happy because;

we have three vaccines about to be approved. this thing ends in a matter of months. that's a fact.

ireland has done really well in comparison to other countries in europe.

we have prevented our admittedly weak health system from collapsing, not once but twice.

the toy show is on tonight and i've a few guinness chilling nicely in the fridge.

What countries are you comparing us to? Compared to Norway, Slovakia or Denmark we were piss poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement