Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I thought Michael did well. I liked that speech, it felt sincere.

Also, the numbers are as good as we can expect. Despite the best efforts if the tin foil hat brigade. As a population, we should be proud of ourselves. 206 cases a day is a level at which we should be able to live with it.

The plans announced are the best possible balance between the economy and public health. For the first time in my life as an adult, I've no job but I'm looking forward to a lovely quiet Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

walshb wrote: »
    MLM on shortly..

Usual. Give out give out give out!!

Nice to a hurler on the ditch really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Nice to a hurler on the ditch really

Reinforced ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Christ that was cringe by MM

I'm a pretty hardline critic of all this and the government in particular. But credit where credit is due. That was his best covid speech yet. He came across quite well I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's the full NPHET letter for anyone who wants to read:
    https://t.co/hphR2NGtBX?amp=1
    So 400 cases a day is the breakpoint for new restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

is_that_so wrote: »
    So 400 cases a day is the breakpoint for new restrictions.
    Yeah the letter predicts 400 cases per day in January 2021 with the need for a 3 week period of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought Michael did well. I liked that speech, it felt sincere.

Also, the numbers are as good as we can expect. Despite the best efforts if the tin foil hat brigade. As a population, we should be proud of ourselves. 206 cases a day is a level at which we should be able to live with it.

The plans announced are the best possible balance between the economy and public health. For the first time in my life as an adult, I've no job but I'm looking forward to a lovely quiet Christmas.
    He did ok I thought.
    I think he is a decent honest sort...but not a great public speaker. It doesn't help that he looks to be slowly morphing into Voldemort...

I think the plans were probably the right balance as well.

Sorry to hear about your job, hope you find something new soon.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Or he could just be the worst reporter on COVID we've seen. I actually liked him as a business correspondent. COVID has got some form of death grip on him, though. Fergal Bowers is far more chilled and insightful on this.
    George Lee was one of the few journalists shouting about the housing bubble before it burst?

Fergal Bowers a lot more measured and factual

• Registered Users Posts: 54,963 ✭✭✭✭walshb

gmisk wrote: »
    He did ok I thought.
    I think he is a decent honest sort...but not a great public speaker. It doesn't help that he looks to be slowly morphing into Voldemort...

MM is a goodun!

Yeah the letter predicts 400 cases per day in January 2021 with the need for a 3 week period of restrictions.

Leo had that three week prediction as well

NPHET after 6 weeks only wanted non essential retail to open

God know what they will want next time around

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Leo had that three week prediction as well

NPHET after 6 weeks only wanted non essential retail to open

God know what they will want next time around
    TBH I wouldn't have an issue with a 3 week (strictly 3 weeks) period of restrictions in early January to get things back on track as we progress through vaccinations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

gmisk wrote: »
    He did ok I thought.

I don't doubt Martin is trying his best, but decent/honest let's not loose the run of ourselves. I remember a certain sum of money resting in his wife's account .

Leo on now on RTE News Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's a 36 page document with numerous modeling scenarios and caveats linked to appendices. How on earth can you pull conclusions from it so quickly???

Not saying the conclusions are wrong just kind of see it as ordering fast food and delivery driver making delivery before you've finished the order on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Honestly some people need to leave their houses and turn off their Netflix and go for dinner next week when they can. The sky won't fall in, you might actually enjoy yourself. It can't be fun being that worried and miserable.

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's a 36 page document with numerous modeling scenarios and caveats linked to appendices. How on earth can you pull conclusions from it so quickly???

Not saying the conclusions are wrong just kind of see it as ordering fast food and delivery driver making delivery before you've finished the order on the phone.
    Page 10 says key recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Leo - “2021 is going to be a great year.”

TBH I wouldn't have an issue with a 3 week (strictly 3 weeks) period of restrictions in early January to get things back on track as we progress through vaccinations

Neither would I but I don't trust it would only be three weeks

I don't doubt Martin is trying his best, but decent/honest let's not loose the run of ourselves. I remember a certain sum of money resting in his wife's account .
    That was what about 10 years ago? Don't think it was illegal?
    He is just dull and boring, not a skilled politician imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

niallo27 wrote: »
    Honestly some people need to leave their houses and turn off their Netflix and go for dinner next week when they can. The sky won't fall in, you might actually enjoy yourself. It can't be fun being that worried and miserable.

you should really take your own advice lad. you're consistently the most worried and miserable poster on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Will you cover them?

One for every miserable in the audience

Leo - “2021 is going to be a great year.”
    Is leo back as the head honcho then?
    Him and FG have really played FF for fools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

so once again the complete and only concern and directive this country follows is "what does laddy want".

Would laddy want to see his friends at school? Would that put a smile on his face? let's keep all the schools opened then - pretty much exactly MM's words. Would laddy now want to see his friends and grandparents for Christmas? Grand, covid holiday it is then.

Come January when the cases rise once again who will be responsible? Not the politicians, but Tony will be blaming us for "letting our guard down."

If someone can find me a bigger muppet government in the civilized world, I'm all ears.

froog wrote: »
    you should really take your own advice lad. you're consistently the most worried and miserable poster on here.

Yes I'm half miserable because we have the strictest lockdown an there is **** all to do. Are you happy through this.

Yes I'm half miserable because we have the strictest lockdown an there is **** all to do. Are you happy through this.

i'm happy because;

we have three vaccines about to be approved. this thing ends in a matter of months. that's a fact.

ireland has done really well in comparison to other countries in europe.

we have prevented our admittedly weak health system from collapsing, not once but twice.

the toy show is on tonight and i've a few guinness chilling nicely in the fridge.

I know there was a lot of talk here about the flu coming into Winter. The latest WHO report suggest it's been eradicated :D

FIUIkCo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Interesting graph from NPHET in their letter to government. The modelling has us not even reaching 400 cases per day by new year with an R of 1.4 from Dec 2nd.

534385.png

Well the, up to 2 week lag gets us to mid Dec.
    Even McConkey mentioned this and was optimistic that figures would improve in the next two weeks.
    I hope we can beat their prediction. I wonder if they have made any changes to their model assumptions. The Chinese study that asymptomatics don't contribute to spread does not appear to be getting a lot of attention but it has a big effect on the models.

i'm happy because;

we have three vaccines about to be approved. this thing ends in a matter of months. that's a fact.

we have prevented our admittedly weak health system from collapsing, not once but twice.

the toy show is on tonight and i've a few guinness chilling nicely in the fridge.

That's fair enough, can't argue with that. I'm happy enough because I can get out next Friday, have something to eat, a real pint and feel normal for an hour and a half.

I know there was a lot of talk here about the flu coming into Winter. The latest WHO report suggest it's been eradicated :D

FIUIkCo.png

makes sense. much less infectious than covid, all our control measures have beaten it almost off the face of the earth. this is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

i'm happy because;

I think we should be proud of what we've done! Enjoy those cans!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement