Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

What's so bad about that ?

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The story is that the father, Robert Lane, decided to call his son Winner, thinking it would give the kid a boost in life. Three years later he had another son, and on the spur of the moment decided to call him Loser. As the Freakonomics authors say about his decision, "Robert wasn't unhappy about the new baby; he just seemed to get a kick out of the name's bookend effect." If the guy had a third son he should have called him "Lover." That, at least, would have fit with the last name.

The punchline to the story is that Winner Lane ended up as a loser in life, a petty criminal living homeless on the streets. Loser Lane, on the other hand, has been a success in life. He's a detective in the South Bronx. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Does anyone like their own name?
    I love my name :) it's nice having an unusual one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Went to school with a boy whose name was so badly chosen no one would take me seriously if I posted it.suffice it to say his surname was Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Went to school with a boy whose name was so badly chosen no one would take me seriously if I posted it.suffice it to say his surname was Head.

Not Flat head from Home and away?!
    Jebus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

"Keelan..."

"Kieran, is it?"

"Keelan, K-E-E.."

'Oh, Killian"

"Yep" -.-"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A family friend went to her debs with a guy called Cian Hoare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

A family friend went to her debs with a guy called Cian Hoare.

Oh come here, did he have a sister called Freda?!
    (I kid, I ddont know any hoares I swear....what. ..don't judge)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

Proudlock is a desperate name like wtf???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Not a kid, but a guy in New Zealand has changed his name to: Full Metal Havok More Sexy N Intelligent Than Spock And All The Superheroes Combined With Frostnova

Do those mental name changes always seem to come from NZ?

• Advertisement

Do those mental name changes always seem to come from NZ?

Tis very fashionable in Oz and NZ to give your kid Trouble or Danger as a second name. So you can say stuff like 'This is my son Spike. Danger is his middle name'.

Harhar.

I know someone who named their boy Spike. He shares that name with my childhood dog. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Seamus or Sean, boring auld names, ancient names should be brought back like Manach, Macha, Eochaid, Fiachu, Finnachta or Toirdelbach.

Jordan, i hate that name on a fellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A Neurotic wrote: »
    In Zambia, lots of people are named after character traits or arbitrary adjectives. I met a Polite and a Clever.

Then I met someone who'd met a kid called Hatred. Whole other level...

I've met an African girl called Precious.

Also used to be a little African restaurant in North Inner City Dublin called Decency which used to make me laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

No joke but I know asmasn from Nigeria called 'innocent'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Friend of mine called her kid Darwin. Then have him a middle name of Castiel.

I had no words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Benson & Hedges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

lukesmom wrote: »

Yeah, I know a Congoan boy called Innocence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Harry...

when i hear some one calling their son in public.. i cringe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

wolfpawnat wrote: »

Is he a bit of a smoothie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

zoe 3619 wrote: »

I know a Richard Head. What were the parents thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sinead
    Aoife
    Ciara

ANY Irish name actually..they just look horrible when written and they don't sound nice either.
    Oisin is a particular bugbear.

Eric, Eugene, Anne, Anna, Roberta, Emily, Josh, Jake, Abbey, Clare, Mary, Fiona, Vera...I could go on....

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Harry...

I really like that name actually!

Why does it make you cringe, just out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Is he a bit of a smoothie?

Am I the only one that got that?

Well done Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

wolfpawnat wrote: »

Congoan??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Congoan??

From The Congo

It took me a minute too :)

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »

The Nigerian President is called Goodluck Jonathon. I think it's kind of charming to name babies after something you want for them, it's a common enough phenomena in Africa I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sinead
    Aoife
    Ciara

ANY Irish name actually..they just look horrible when written and they don't sound nice either.

Eric, Eugene, Anne, Anna, Roberta, Emily, Josh, Jake, Abbey, Clare, Mary, Fiona, Vera...I could go on....

Ah now some irish names are lovely, i would say Aoife and Ciara are lovely names the ones i can't stand are from those who clearly have no understanding of the language and name their child something stupid like "sneachta" (snow) or "fuinneog" (window) or "cuisneoir" (fridge) because they like how it sounds,

although to be fair the mother of "sneachta" (snow) did afterwards at least try to claim she named her child after snow white....

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Ah now some irish names are lovely

There are some bizarre prejudices around Irish names it seems. Bizarre because it's in Ireland, not Alaska or Mongolia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I do feel sorry for kids with the sort of name that pretty much labels them as having idiotic parents - the ones named after the currect soap or music star, the ones who have a perfectly normal name spelled in a ridiculous "yewneek" fashion, the ones named after inanimate objects or placenames.

Best one of these I saw was 'Airwrecka' (Erica) :eek:
    Not sure its true but I hope it is. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sinead
    Aoife
    Ciara

Are you Irish? think being Irish and disliking Irish names is very weird. Think the three you mentioned are perfectly nice and far preferable to the non Irish list below. Much prefer them myself though not the maydee upeee or archaic ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Are you Irish? think being Irish and disliking Irish names is very weird. Think the three you mentioned are perfectly nice and far preferable to the non Irish list below. Much prefer them myself though not the maydee upeee or archaic ones.

I am Irish. I think it's because when I was in school, almost everyone in the class had an Irish name and my ears became immune the pronunciations of them, if that makes any sense.
    A lot of the Irish names are spelled similarly and they sound rough when they roll off the tongue.

Ah, it's just my opinion.....but I don't like weird celeb names either!
    Won't be naming any of my future kids Moon Unit or DweebHead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm Irish, can speak fluent Irish, love the Irish language, and I dislike Irish names. People just have different tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why should you automatically like (or dislike) Irish names simply because you're Irish?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Why should you automatically like (or dislike) Irish names simply because you're Irish?

Because fádo, fádo, the bishops blessed all the saintly Catholic Irish people all with the ability to talk in tongues resulting in them being able to use phlegm to make hitherto unknown sounds. So delighted were the saintly Catholic Irish with this mystical ability that they reserved it only for the most special of reasons: the naming of their offspring.

If you don't like the names, you've obviously got Protestant blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

All the peculiar celebrity names (e.g. Rihanna, Beyonce etc.) - it's just about the most petty minded thing to do; It's making the "hey, I'm an empty headed TV addict who can't even think up a name" statement through your child.

Just for information about Irish names, don't be surprised if your daughter is called "Sorcha" and you get the evil eye every time you call her while on vacation in Italy. The word means vagina in Italian :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

At work we had a guy from Asia called Schlong Long..I shít you not...they all pick English names for themselves so it's easier for Westerners to pronounce them.
    At a meeting one day we had a guy over from China who introduced himself in a major ELT meeting as Mary :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I don't like Irish names myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Candie wrote: »
    There are some bizarre prejudices around Irish names it seems. Bizarre because it's in Ireland, not Alaska or Mongolia.

Have to agree with you, seems to be some vitriol towards them! Then again, I have an Irish name (as do two of my siblings) so can't help but take it that way I suppose.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

another bugbear.. I know a few people with bizarre pronunciations to fairly normal names- Leon, pronounced LOAN, and Charles, pronounced SHAR-LEZ for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Lisha wrote: »
    From The Congo

It took me a minute too :)

So... Congolese. Not Congoan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

SamAK wrote: »
    To be fair, what other people call their children is none of our fcuking business.

Ah it is though, it influences society in general. We should all aspire to have a scum free society.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

newmug wrote: »
    Ah it is though, it influences society in general. We should all aspire to have a scum free society.

Eh ahem, and a child's name influences this how exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to baby names, I always like to know what name they gave for information purposes but never give a yay or nay reaction....except once...

Clementine

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So... Congolese. Not Congoan.

Aren't you the Great Educator. Well done you. Have a gold star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Harry...

I love that name!

On the Aeneas thing, if you're pronouncing it Anus, then you are probably pronouncing it incorrectly.
    I think it's pronounced An-ayus.

Ayrton. What an awful name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I love that name!

On the Aeneas thing, if you're pronouncing it Anus, then you are probably pronouncing it incorrectly.
    I think it's pronounced An-ayus.

Ayrton. What an awful name.

No, Anus was how the person pronounced it, ( whose name it is) when he introduced himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Harry...

Why does it make you cringe, just out of interest?

That was my father's name, and it's now my son's name.

You better have a good answer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hession

blue little girls name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

A girl I was in school with was called princess. It was so weird hearing the teachers call her princess. Too cringey.

Advertisement