Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Sons U9 team played against a team that had a Dublin player called Cristiano.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Heard Logan being shouted across the playground at some little fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

dibs101 wrote: »
    Sons U9 team played against a team that had a Dublin player called Cristiano.

What's the bet the young lad will turn out to be utterly ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Loughview

Alan- awful, awful name

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Willow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

A young lad in the school I teach in here in France is called "Liêm" - no, he's not Vietnamese, it's Liam but spelled phonetically so the French pronounce it correctly! Such an ugly spelling. (My son is called Liam, but we don't make concessions for people who can't be bothered to pronounce it properly).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Autosport wrote: »
    Today I met 3 sisters called Tia, Mia and Leah :D

Have they just started a design company?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Omackeral wrote: »
    Jesus yeah, imagine a lovely little baby boy coming into the world. What shall we call him?

"Barry".

Sounds like it should be short for Barold or something.

Can't hear that without thinking of the Only Fools And Horses episode with "Dirty Barry".

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Couple of howiyas standing yapping at the counter in Spar today. They had a little guy with them in a pram, he was gorgeous. I asked his name.

Riker.

amtc wrote: »
    A good friend of mine called her only child Gobnait. It is a family name but still.
    Is that true?

I've heard a lot about Gobnait, but it seems to be an urban myth. Every year, the CSO produce an inventory of names recorded on birth certificates in this country, and Gobnait/ Gobhnait never features.
    LordSutch wrote: »
    Bosco.
    That was my dog's name and, pending my future missus's approval, will be the name of my first son.

I think it's beautiful. Not because of the sinister ginger puppet, but because of my gamey old terrier (RIP Bosco)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Jesus yeah, imagine a lovely little baby boy coming into the world. What shall we call him?

"Barry".

Sounds like it should be short for Barold or something.

My mother decided I was going to be a Barry or a Nigel, thank fook she choose Barry!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Couple of howiyas standing yapping at the counter in Spar today. They had a little guy with them in a pram, he was gorgeous. I asked his name.

Riker.

Maybe they heard it on Star Trek Next Generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Have they just started a design company?

I doubt it as they are in primary school :D

A little boy named Croi. At first hearing his name I thought "Cree" - short for something? Nope. I saw it written down then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OOnegative wrote: »
    My mother decided I was going to be a Barry or a Nigel, thank fook she choose Barry!!!
    Short for Barold, then?

I know of a Dwaine. It really bothers me.

I've seen Duwayne. Actually seems like a much more logical spelling of the name.

A little boy named Croi. At first hearing his name I thought "Cree" - short for something? Nope. I saw it written down then.
    Croí means "heart" as Gaeilge, as I'm sure you already know (just mentioning it for those who may not be aware).

Which reminds me, a particularly nice Irish phrase is "as chroí mo bhoise", which refers to something made "out of the hollow part of my hand", but also translates as 'from my heart' in that expression. It's difficult to translate, but it's quite beautiful. I'm not sure I like Croí as a name, but I've come across far worse names, many of them commonplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Is that true?

I've heard a lot about Gobnait, but it seems to be an urban myth. Every year, the CSO produce an inventory of names recorded on birth certificates in this country, and Gobnait/ Gobhnait never features.

I did once meet someone called Gobnait, through work. So there is at least one real person with the name.

Croí means "heart" as Gaeilge, as I'm sure you already know (just mentioning it for those who may not be aware).

Which reminds me, a particularly nice Irish phrase is "as chroí mo bhoise", which refers to something made "out of the hollow part of my hand", but also translates as 'from my heart' in that expression. It's difficult to translate, but it's quite beautiful. I'm not sure I like Croí as a name, but I've come across far worse names, many of them commonplace.

Yeah I knew it when I saw it written down! Lovely name for a toddler, and he is a lovely little boy. But he's going to be 35 one day carrying that name around.

Is that true?

I never met one but a girl I was friends with had a sister by that name, she'd be about 40 now.

I think we should try to bring back some of the old Irish names! Like Aoife, Eilbhe, Deirdre, Maire, etc but not Gobnait. I think it's the "gob" part that makes it sound ugly nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

did one teaching practice in a school in Bluebell, Dublin

in one junior infants class there was a...

Brittney
    Shakira
    and
    Beyonce

a few divas in that class!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JaimTorfinn

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I did once meet someone called Gobnait, through work. So there is at least one real person with the name.

A search on facebook reveals there's at least 7 girls with that name. It really is the most vomit inducing name I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

A search on facebook reveals there's at least 7 girls with that name. It really is the most vomit inducing name I've ever heard.

Had a teacher who was called gobnit. Horrible name...would associate with west cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

It's not as if it can even be shortened to something nicer.....gob? Nit? Gobby? Nitty?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I know this is rude but Gobn(a)it is the perfect name for a pug dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There's also the Cree who were a tribe of North American Indians. Croi is not too bad. I wouldn't choose it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

VandC wrote: »
    Heard Logan being shouted across the playground at some little fella.

I know of a Logan too. He has a sister called Charlie.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Valentine.. . saw it in the paper today .

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

noveltea wrote: »

I know of two Valentines, (one was my English teacher) and afaik it was just they were named after the saint as they were born on that day.

Advertisement