Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You are right. The owners didn't want it listed. They wanted the site for apartments.
    I was referring to the owners 20, 30 years ago.
    Not the current site owners developing the site.
    But if it was that important to have it listed, why did the Council only start the process a short while ago and not donkeys years ago.
    Potential protected structures often only come to light when development is proposed.
    They don't need the owners permission to have it listed.
    I never said they need it. It’s simply a case that owner that proactively want to protect a building will nominate it for listing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Its a little bit of Irish history gone forever though, to build another eyesore of a glass and steel for some cynic with more money (and greed) than taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cass wrote: »
    Trump, regardless of how you feel politically, came off worse.

He dropped the bar so low for Joe that just turning up would be seen as a win and he played right into that trap. Joe, given his past gaffes, was better than i've seen in some months. He avoided questions like the plague, but that is down to his experience as a politician, a trait Trump does not have.

The "moderator" was biased in my opinion. He showed a clear favoritism for Biden that was evident and sometimes outright obvious.

However none of that excuses Trump's poor performance. He spent the night shouting, interrupting and defending himself rather than staying calm and attacking Joe on his record. Trump is not capable of that level of calmness and his emotional instability will not serve him well.

Lastly when Trump was up against hillary he seemed more Presidential, was physically bigger/taller and combined with people's distrust of hillary and their want for change, his shortcomings were not as noticeable to some. Against Biden who is better liked, same stature as Trump, and more trusted than hillary Trump is in a fight that he has not had before so using the same old techniques and relying on people's "protest vote" won't work.

Be interesting to see the next two debates, plus i'm looking forward to the VP debate. Pence should be better and more usd to such things.

Still and all Biden lost his cool and showed his nastier side.He reminds me of the old aggressive bar fly lout who lives off his glory days stories,and turns nasty if questioned about them.Witness the time he took on the Union man about assault rifles in his campaign. "Will you shut up man?" was even better than his usual "Cmon Man!" outbursts. His denial of of ANTIFA as being a concept rather than a real threat,I'm sure will play well to those who have been intimiadated by them and those who support them.Then playing the " Im irish catholic " card to critique the Supreme court judge choice was naff.As the fuss about it.It's only been done 19 times before by both parties in American history,but its a problem because the court is now loaded with conservative judges to the Democrats.

All in all sofar the debate will not have convinced anyone to change their minds on either of them.Pity the Liberterian canditate Jo Jorgenson was excluded from this debate.An adult in the room might have helped.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Mellor wrote: »
    Complete speculation. But it’s possible the owners had no interest in having it listed. The ins often outweigh the positives.

If they ha the smarts They would avoid getting a building listed like the plague and all of Hells demons.
    I own one. It is an utter curse ,as you can't really substantially change, or modify the interior or exterior,and everything must be replaced with original materials. and selling it is a nightmare,as who wants to take on property yo can do sFA with?

If the Irish people wanted this house kept,they should have been onto the corporation like decades ago to have it listed and preserved. Not that they[council] would have done much then as they would have just left it derelict due to lack of funds...:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    If they ha the smarts They would avoid getting a building listed like the plague and all of Hells demons.
    I own one. It is an utter curse ,as you can't really substantially change, or modify the interior or exterior,and everything must be replaced with original materials. and selling it is a nightmare,as who wants to take on property yo can do sFA with?

If the Irish people wanted this house kept,they should have been onto the corporation like decades ago to have it listed and preserved. Not that they[council] would have done much then as they would have just left it derelict due to lack of funds...:rolleyes:

Councils not having money is a joke, when they do have it they squander it. They have just pedestrianised Dundrum village here in Dublin despite every business in the town protesting and objecting, and the major shopping centre there not happy about it either. No bugger wanted it, its ballsed things up for pedestrians and motorists, made getting to the Garda station in a car a nightmare, made it difficult to get hearses to the front of the church, as everybody said would happen. The council still did it. The Ballydung players isn't in it.

I own one. It is an utter curse ,as you can't really substantially change, or modify the interior or exterior,and everything must be replaced with original materials.

I'm being a bit simplistic here, but no modifications, maintain/replace with original materials, interior, exterior, curtilage all included in protection - the the safety net position. Mainly there to prevent people "accidentally" making a mess of things.
    It's possible to make sympathetic additions and changes - if done correctly. But the extra work and cost involved is not to be sniffed at at, as you probably know.

I do know some people have had the interior delisted when it wasn't significant. Allowed them to make internal changes, while keeping the heritage facade.

]I'm being a bit simplistic here, but no modifications, maintain/replace with original materials, interior, exterior, curtilage all included in protection - the the safety net position. Mainly there to prevent people "accidentally" making a mess of things.

Well the trouble is too,building technology has moved on a tad too. Portland cement has been in use for the last 180 years as compared to quicklime cement.Which would give the h&S man a coronary,not to mind the eU shower a fit were it still in use today So there are soe stark choices.Do you use modern cement,or do you want the gable end of the historically significant house to collapse?Ditto things like roofs and windows.Yes blue Bangor slates are nice and dont grow moss and all the rest.But you need a craftsman to cut and lay them properly, there arent that many about,but there are plenty of roofers.

Yes.Johnny Fuksticks & Sons ,cowboy builders LTD are many and aplenty,and I've had my share of them too are out there.But it has to be also a reasonable cutting your cloth to your means if you have one of these places. Is it better to have a quarter of the slate roof replaced with tiles to stop more damage.Or to let it collapse completely,because the perservation Hitlers insist it must be redone with blue bangor slates? And lets not get on the subject of preserved farm outbuildings and yards that have entranceways designed for an ass and cart.Not a modern tractor and machinery,and trying to sort out things like widening them.
    It's possible to make sympathetic additions and changes - if done correctly. But the extra work and cost involved is not to be sniffed at at, as you probably know.

I do asnd its an utter sick joke.

I do know some people have had the interior delisted when it wasn't significant. Allowed them to make internal changes, while keeping the heritage facade.

And Good LUCK to you with that here in Clare mate...We have a right little Nazi here. Who has categorically stated that his job is
    "To preserve heritage buildings not accomadate the people who live in them"
    If you have an AH like that in charge dont be surprised then if most owners just say FK it ,and let them go to rack and ruin..
    It's the reason Newtown Perry will never be developed or renewed in Limerick.All the area is under perservation orders and in private ownership.
    All of the buildings are not fit for purpose for 21st century town living,and toally disabled unfriendly.There are people who would gladly refurbish them,but the trouble is the perservation orders and then clashing with the fire and H&S legisation.All the floors are wood and supported by wooden beams.They have to be replaced with concrete or steel beams for living accomadation...So when you can get the fire cheif to agree with the beardy culture perservation Fascist on what can or cant be done...No one sane will touch those properties with a 20 foot pole.

The problem is, if everything was left in the hand of developers, they would ride roughshod over everything that doesn't suit them. Anyone remember the lovely art deco garage on Townsend street in Dublin ? It was listed and the developer still flattened it. But was given a right sickener when he was told to rebuild it exactly as it was.

Do you thing St.Patricks cathedral or Dublin castle would be still standing if they had their way ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/archer-s-garage-rebuilt-after-razing-1.1152577

• Advertisement

tudderone wrote: »
    The problem is, if everything was left in the hand of developers, they would ride roughshod over everything that doesn't suit them. Anyone remember the lovely art deco garage on Townsend street in Dublin ? It was listed and the developer still flattened it. But was given a right sickener when he was told to rebuild it exactly as it was.

Do you thing St.Patricks cathedral or Dublin castle would be still standing if they had their way ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/archer-s-garage-rebuilt-after-razing-1.1152577

That was a fairly rare and excellent example of a style of architecture that is simply not common in this country. Rebuilding was not the same, but what else could they do.
    However, when you protect everything, the special examples mean less, and the protection afforded them seems weaker.

Doesn't matter how unique or rare or beautiful.If city hall thinks it is in the way,fk the heritage dept and conservation features,the wrecking balls will swing or the road will be built.Limerick is utterly horrible at this.I am old enough to rember 3 wanton acts of vandalism to the city of historic buildings.The house of Garryowen,on Sarsfield st,where the now dull defunct Dunnes stores is, that UL bought.Cruises hotel,demolished and ripped the central meeting point out of the centre.An ugly generic "High st"that could be anywhere in the UK replaced it.Building a hideous glass container in King Johns castle.Its so ugly that RTE and media reports on Limerick using the castle as a backdrop,deliberately avoid getting this in the picture.

Not everything should or can be preserved in Ireland.As some have said its a pity "Luftwaffe urban renewals" didnt make it to Ireland in 39to45,and this would be alot less of a problem for us. But there is a happy compromise of being able to keep old exteriors and modernise the interiors to a modern standard.Hells kitchen and the Bowery in NYC,were utter dumps up to the 90s.Now they are or were ,before covid,up and coming expensive neighbourhoods.The buildings still look decrepit on the outside,but inside....
    Why can this not be done in Dublin and Limerick or anywhere else?

Why we are such pendantic annoying AHs as gunowners ,in real life with people and in discussions and on Boards.😊
    Mr C Noir explains:
    url]https://youtu.be/CUG1fK46YzY/YOUTUBE[/url

Doesn't matter how unique or rare or beautiful.If city hall thinks it is in the way,fk the heritage dept and conservation features,the wrecking balls will swing or the road will be built.Limerick is utterly horrible at this.I am old enough to rember 3 wanton acts of vandalism to the city of historic buildings.The house of Garryowen,on Sarsfield st,where the now dull defunct Dunnes stores is, that UL bought.Cruises hotel,demolished and ripped the central meeting point out of the centre.An ugly generic "High st"that could be anywhere in the UK replaced it.Building a hideous glass container in King Johns castle.Its so ugly that RTE and media reports on Limerick using the castle as a backdrop,deliberately avoid getting this in the picture.

Not everything should or can be preserved in Ireland.As some have said its a pity "Luftwaffe urban renewals" didnt make it to Ireland in 39to45,and this would be alot less of a problem for us. But there is a happy compromise of being able to keep old exteriors and modernise the interiors to a modern standard.Hells kitchen and the Bowery in NYC,were utter dumps up to the 90s.Now they are or were ,before covid,up and coming expensive neighbourhoods.The buildings still look decrepit on the outside,but inside....
    Why can this not be done in Dublin and Limerick or anywhere else?

Well that Flakturme (Flak-tower) council office that was built on Wood Quay in Dublin is a national disgrace. Hideously ugly brutalist concrete eyesore that it is. There was an element of Anti-Britishness when some of the Georgian houses around Dublin were demolished, the ones that went for the ESB offices for instance.

The luftwaffe ? They did less damage to cities like Coventry and Birmingham than did the architects, especially Coventry when they rebuilt them :eek:.

Right ,I'm just off to throw myself out the window after listening to that cheerful ditty.:rolleyes::eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Breaking news on TV, President Trump has the "Rona". So too does the first lady.

Going into lockdown and the campaign team going into tail spins. Talk about Biden possibly being infected from the debate as they don't know when Trump was infected.

People were making up scenarios where Biden would either get or fake getting Covid and pull out of the debates, but here it is with the shoe on the other foot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

People were making up scenarios where Biden would either get or fake getting Covid and pull out of the debates, but here it is with the shoe on the other foot.

I wonder what his risk profile is like give his age, weight and health.

Breaking news on TV, President Trump has the "Rona". So too does the first lady.

Going into lockdown and the campaign team going into tail spins. Talk about Biden possibly being infected from the debate as they don't know when Trump was infected.

We live in a technological age, so surely the people taking part in debates don't actually have to be in the same building anymore.

Mellor wrote: »
    I wonder what his risk profile is like give his age, weight and health.

It wouldn't strike me as being good. I know a relatively young fit chap in Wales who has had it and he found it very hard going.

Seems to have been one of the personal assistants Katie Mller to Mike Pence who had caught it at one of the rallies.
    With all their yelling and shouting for an hour and a half...I wouldn't be surprised if dementia Joe has it now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Advertisement

Anyone on here gotten a stomacher of an electric bill recently ? I used very little electricity during the lockdown, only two of us in the house, and yet we've had a whopper of an electric bill :confused:

Anyone on here gotten a stomacher of an electric bill recently ? I used very little electricity during the lockdown, only two of us in the house, and yet we've had a whopper of an electric bill :confused:

Is it an estimate or have you been getting estimates for ages and now got a bill based on a proper reading?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is it an estimate or have you been getting estimates for ages and now got a bill based on a proper reading?

I have seen the meter reader going around and he was in our place recently and before that during the summer, the bills are not estimated, the meter was read.

I have seen the meter reader going around and he was in our place recently and before that during the summer, the bills are not estimated, the meter was read.

I don't have a bill to hand but I think there is an e after your current reading figure to indicate if it's an estimate or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

PSO Levy just increased from €34 to €88 per year and prices are being increased all round. If you are on "Fixed pay" direct debits (i.e. yearly cost averaged out so that your bills are all the same) they may have readjusted to include the rises over the next year

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

That green energy and saving the planet has to be paid for folks!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You can thank the PSO levy and standing charges that go into the pockets of wind developers building ugly white elephants over vast areas of rural Ireland. Another 150 euros a year to be added to that this winter to keep that racket going thanx to Eamon Ryan et al. I've noticed the same myself btw ie. using less and less power, but bill keeps going up. Folk need to wise up to the fact that this is a much bigger and more expensive government heist than water charges!!

That green energy and saving the planet has to be paid for folks!:rolleyes:

The goats milk latte sipping, Dublin 4/Clontarf/Montenotte dwelling, Guardian reading, prius driving, school teacher/college lecturers can pay for it.

This lot have a messiah complex, they are all "Saving the planet" :mad:.

All this so ff/fg can continue their stranglehold on this dismal country. One consolation is ryan and the rest of the melons will be history at the next elections.

Holy shtsnacks!!!

Could you ever get more patronising at all if possible??:mad:
    Don't talk to the boggers and ethnic minority with big words, as they are thick and dont know how to read ,write,post letters,and cant make a decent double decaff soy Machito and won't understand you,while you indoctrinate them with saving the planet nonsense.:rolleyes:
    Same trick Soviet political kommisars used to get Russian Kulacks into giving up their land, and moving a few thousand miles to labour camps in Siberia. Of course having whips and guns helped immensely,and no need to ask where the Watermelons stand on private gunownership.In Ireland or elsewhere.

Yeah,the reason you aren't making any headway in the country is you are utterly TOXIC to the countryside,and we havent forgotten your leaders "10 cars per 100 people in rural areas" idiocy,or your carbon tax on diesel,and now wanting to ban open fires of coal,turf,and wood.As well as your screwball,electric toy cars powerd by giant bird slicers all over the countryside.

Feck off now for yourself Sen Shortarse,and go pander to the weirdos,pot growers and women who knit undergarments out of their husbands organially grown beard hair who live out in the wilds who voted for you[Mostly European
    blow ins],and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/greens-told-dont-use-big-words-in-seeking-rural-vote-39583943.html

"Open mouth wide, no wider, WIDER, come on, yes thats it. Now remove shoe and sock and insert oversized foot into oversized gob" !

Sweet Jesus, we had some right snakes, sleveens, village idiots, gangsters and down right plonkers running this unfortunate little island, but this lot take the cake, and by a wide margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Birdnuts wrote: »
    You can thank the PSO levy and standing charges that go into the pockets of wind developers building ugly white elephants over vast areas of rural Ireland. Another 150 euros a year to be added to that this winter to keep that racket going thanx to Eamon Ryan et al. I've noticed the same myself btw ie. using less and less power, but bill keeps going up. Folk need to wise up to the fact that this is a much bigger and more expensive government heist than water charges!!

Aye, think that muppet Ryan is still working whatever briefings he had last time he was in when subsidies for renewable's were the thing. Rest of the world has been removing subsidies for new renewable generation for the last few years.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Sweet Jesus, we had some right snakes, sleveens, village idiots, gangsters and down right plonkers running this unfortunate little island, but this lot take the cake, and by a wide margin.

"We have had mad kings and bad kings on the Iron throne.But we have never managed a mad bad king,until now."

Tyron Lannister to Geffory the Bastard,Game of Thrones

NPHET recommending level 5, as in full, lockdown for the entire country in a letter to Government tonight.

Watch this space i suppose.

On a side note, watching the Liverpool match, if they could do it in the uk RIGHT F**KING NOW, that'd be great and stop Villa from completely embarrassing the Pool. :rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

NPHET recommending level 5, as in full, lockdown for the entire country in a letter to Government tonight.

Watch this space i suppose.

On a side note, watching the Liverpool match, if they could do it in the uk RIGHT F**KING NOW, that'd be great and stop Villa from completely embarrassing the Pool. :rolleyes:

Yeah - it kinda spoilt Man Us woes for me:(

I remember Liverpool having many "Hold my beer" moments in the Premier league and Champions league where they beat the record set by Man City the very next day. However to do a "hold my beer" when united lose by 5 in a 6-1 thumping by Spurs is not the kind of thing i'd expect. It was like watching the Liverpool of 2010. Adrian was a disgrace, as usual, Gomez should have been taken off after 20 minutes, the passing was poor, defence was relying on the "high line" which Villa sussed very quick, and with Villa finding the net with most shots it's easy to see how they could have won by 9 or even 10-2.

Villa, they were outstanding. Watkins is someone to watch, Grealish played a stormer, and the team looked more like Liverpool than Liverpool.

323 wrote: »
    Aye, think that muppet Ryan is still working whatever briefings he had last time he was in when subsidies for renewable's were the thing. Rest of the world has been removing subsidies for new renewable generation for the last few years.

I see in the paper ryan want the government to spend 1 million a day for a year on cycle lanes and cycling. Sure ignore them homeless and that sort of thing, so long as you can virtue signal on your over-priced push bike.

Another blast from the RTE archives.
    Great pity these gents weren't a bit more progressive in their outlook and have campaigned for a primitive weapons season, or handgun hunting , or that shotgun slugs would be legal for deer hunting too here.
    Little did they know that they would be handing up three years later their stalking rifles or buying .22/250 under Irelands gun grab of the Temp custody order of 1972,and Irish rifle both target and hunting would be in stasis for another 32 years.
    Moral.What you legislate or wish for today in legislation will echo down the decades.
    As Ben Franklin said "Those proposing laws should never think of the great boons and benefits it will bestow.But rather what great harm they may cause."
    A lesson not heeded by modern politicans at all.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0211/1028839-hunting-deer-in-wicklow/?fbclid=IwAR0VYzjyWFLcw0FCqOALzSA4lpRJ0o_X3dfq1SihWQ3cjaLuPuYwcld2p3c

Another blast from the RTE archives.
    Great pity these gents weren't a bit more progressive in their outlook and have campaigned for a primitive weapons season, or handgun hunting , or that shotgun slugs would be legal for deer hunting too here.
    Little did they know that they would be handing up three years later their stalking rifles or buying .22/250 under Irelands gun grab of the Temp custody order of 1972,and Irish rifle both target and hunting would be in stasis for another 32 years.
    Moral.What you legislate or wish for today in legislation will echo down the decades.
    As Ben Franklin said "Those proposing laws should never think of the great boons and benefits it will bestow.But rather what great harm they may cause."
    A lesson not heeded by modern politicans at all.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0211/1028839-hunting-deer-in-wicklow/?fbclid=IwAR0VYzjyWFLcw0FCqOALzSA4lpRJ0o_X3dfq1SihWQ3cjaLuPuYwcld2p3c

The order caused nothing but trouble for stalkers and other shooters, there were animal welfare issues, and it didn't do a thing to reduce the murder and mayhem in the north, not an iota.

I watched this last night, how refreshing to have a policeman who actually tells the truth, even, as he says himself, he will probably be in trouble for it.

• Advertisement

The budget has sent us a hike in carbon tax, probably courtesy of the melon party. This hike is going to go on rising every year until 2030 when it will be 100 quid a tonne. So if you like being warm at home, or getting anywhere beyond pushbike distance, prepare to get reamed.

Extinction rebellion attack Smithfield meat market in London.........get slung out on their ears by the butchers and porters :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8834709/Butchers-chase-Extinction-Rebellion-protestors-Smithfield-market.html

Extinction rebellion attack Smithfield meat market in London.........get slung out on their ears by the butchers and porters :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8834709/Butchers-chase-Extinction-Rebellion-protestors-Smithfield-market.html

That lot belong on a butchers hook!!

Goodbye NZ...
    You ****ed up.... BIGLY!:(:(:(:(
    Nice knowing you as a once pretty much ideal gun law country,that has now descended within 12 months into new Socialist Green gun banning dictatorship and is voting for and fell for the cult of personality rather than for reason and practicality.

Well,like the frogs in De La Fontanes fable who tired of Democracy,you can now go and cower before your new Heron queen,who lunches and dines on NZ frogs whenever she will feel inclined to do so. And with those gnashers on her,she could do some serious damage alright .

https://www.arise.tv/incumbent-pm-arden-wins-new-zealand-election-by-landslide/

Goodbye NZ...
    You ****ed up.... BIGLY!:(:(:(:(
    Nice knowing you as a once pretty much ideal gun law country,that has now descended within 12 months into new Socialist Green gun banning dictatorship and is voting for and fell for the cult of personality rather than for reason and practicality.

Well,like the frogs in De La Fontanes fable who tired of Democracy,you can now go and cower before your new Heron queen,who lunches and dines on NZ frogs whenever she will feel inclined to do so. And with those gnashers on her,she could do some serious damage alright .

https://www.arise.tv/incumbent-pm-arden-wins-new-zealand-election-by-landslide/

Pity, its a wonderful country. The path to hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

The Czech Republic has apparently written and verified a 2nd amendment article into its constitution. Be the only other country in the world that has defined this specific right on paper if this is the case.

The Czech Republic has apparently written and verified a 2nd amendment article into its constitution. Be the only other country in the world that has defined this specific right on paper if this is the case.

The Poohbahs in the eu won't like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Feisar

I love guns, more specifically rifles however and it's a strong however I don't get American's relationship with weapons. And I say weapons intentionally because that's what it is. I remember reading an article in Guns and Ammo years ago. Yer man's main point was: if I have a self defense pistol I want a bore I can damn near crawl through, i.e. 45 over 9 mil. I see it on the YouTube channels as well, "a well armed populace" blah blah blah. Yea you and yer AR are going to sort out the 1st Field Artillery Regiment and it's 155 mm self-propelled howitzers. Gotta keep that government in check.

The above is a stereotype of American's attitude to guns.

First they came for the socialists...

Feisar wrote: »
    I love guns, more specifically rifles however and it's a strong however I don't get American's relationship with weapons. And I say weapons intentionally because that's what it is. I remember reading an article in Guns and Ammo years ago. Yer man's main point was: if I have a self defense pistol I want a bore I can damn near crawl through, i.e. 45 over 9 mil. I see it on the YouTube channels as well, "a well armed populace" blah blah blah. Yea you and yer AR are going to sort out the 1st Field Artillery Regiment and it's 155 mm self-propelled howitzers. Gotta keep that government in check.

The above is a stereotype of American's attitude to guns.

I'd have (and did have) a .45acp over a 9mm. Love the .45, easier to shoot than a 9mm (imho). Its a generational thing, the older generation - .30-06 and .45, the newer generation 5.56 and the 9mm.

And living in Ireland, you should know that you budge an inch and a mile is taken. 1972 "We just want your guns for a few weeks lads, for testing", 20 odd years later and nothing apart from .22 rifles and shotguns given back.

Four boys being naughty, i wonder if their firearms certs will be taken ?

https://www.midlands103.com/news/midlands-news/four-men-prosecuted-for-wildlife-breaches-in-the-midlands/

• Advertisement
Advertisement