Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Obsessed with Mayo much? :)

No as I said I don't even view them as rivals now. That was just the stuff forced down through the media at the time, it was an unavoidable crescendo of noise.
    Mayo have quietened down considerably since.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Donie Buckley will be the making of this Kerry team
    They where aggressive yesterday both on and off the ball
    Donegal were hardly inspiring against an average meath team
    Kerry will be to good

They taught Mayo/Kerry would be a cracker last weekend. It was a damp squid. I think the rest of the games were more competitive. Meath/ Mayo would be my pick next weekend.

I fancy Meath to win that one.
    They seem to have some of thier traditional fight back in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

How potentially disruptive would Connolly coming back to the Dublin team be to their squad? What sort of a message does it send out to players who have grafted all year for their place?

Connolly is a great player but this move could do them more harm than good. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

C__MC wrote: »
    I think Kerry will hammer donegal

I would be very surprised I expect that to be a very tight game as Donegal will tighten it up a lot

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

No as I said I don't even view them as rivals now. That was just the stuff forced down through the media at the time, it was an unavoidable crescendo of noise.
    Mayo have quietened down considerably since.

Ok Super.

Just on that, how many Mayo players have you seen on the Late Late Show for example in recent years, and how many Dublin players have you see on it?

And what about the Diarmuid Connolly situation? Every day we get an update. Where he is, what he's doing, the VISA situation, etc.

But hey, its all Mayo in the media.

You Dubs make me laugh.

Move on, get over yourselves, this thread is about the championship, so lets talk about that. Bring the Mayo obsession somewhere else.

eddie73 wrote: »
    How potentially disruptive would Connolly coming back to the Dublin team be to their squad? What sort of a message does it send out to players who have grafted all year for their place?

Connolly is a great player but this move could do them more harm than good. Time will tell.

It won't be disruptive at all.
    How could it?
    Have you even hear of any rows in the Dublin camp?
    Great impact sub.
    DC will be the 2019 version of 'Vinnie Murphy 2001' at best and at worst a media curiosity.
    'The process' will continue turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

C__MC wrote: »
    Lob sided games so far in super eights
    I'm not sure its thr right format
    3 dead rubbers potentially on the cards

dont think dead rubbers possible in donegal group, no matter what happens the next day. at least 1 team in each final game will need a result. its even possible that all 4 teams could still be in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Ok Super.

Just on that, how many Mayo players have you seen on the Late Late Show for example in recent years, and how many Dublin players have you see on it?

And what about the Diarmuid Connolly situation? Every day we get an update. Where he is, what he's doing, the VISA situation, etc.

You Dubs make me laugh.

Move on, get over yourselves, this thread is about the championship, so lets talk about that. Bring the Mayo obsession somewhere else.

Obviously coming from the biggest population centre Dublin and its players will generate the most media attention, its only natural.

I think in the media however, Mayo get a very easy ride and avoid alot of criticism nationally as they are seen as the annual loser/plucky underdog. I know that is not the case internally in the county as management and certain players would have come in for a lot of criticism after the weekends loss but in the national media, its like people feel sorry for them and they escape alot of critcism.

But in any case forget about Mayo they are no longer relevant really for this year, there are better more interesting things to discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

That Kerry jersey is like this Man Utd jersey from years ago

man20united20200120200220reversible20paul20scholes20968698.jpg?strip=all&w=700

Both teams in horrible strips.

• Advertisement

Ok Super.

You Dubs make me laugh.

As I said in another thread the media need something to talk about.
    DC is manna from heaven for them as Dublin do not have real defacto rivals.
    They are desperate for something to talk about.

You are misconstruing my point it WAS all Mayo in the media a few years back.
    But not making even a Connaught final in the last four years meant that the media have moved elsewhere in search of Dublin's 'rival'.

Mayo are yesterday's news, and are not even mentioned near the same category of Dublin now.
    As I said as a Dub I more concerned with other sides, not a Mayo team on it's last legs.
    A Mayo team who are not even one of the best two teams in thier own province.

The Late Late Show would not really be my demographic by the way so I would not know.
    But I assume they wanted AI winners on it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Obsessed with Mayo much? :)
    The irony

harpsman wrote: »
    Both teams in horrible strips.

What is the proper name of that Brown/Gold jersey anyway?
    Boiled shíte? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What is the proper name of that Brown/Gold jersey anyway?
    Boiled shíte? :D

Back to Gold, and with Donegal and Meath, Kerry could very likely not be seen in the traditional Green and Gold until the Semi-Finals if they can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

eddie73 wrote: »
    How potentially disruptive would Connolly coming back to the Dublin team be to their squad?

I wouldn't like to be the Dublin player making waves about a Jim Gavin decision or complaining about extra competition for places. Sounds like a one way ticket off the squad.

Thats a luxury you get when spoiled for choice as a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

theguzman wrote: »
    Back to Gold, and with Donegal and Meath, Kerry could very likely not be seen in the traditional Green and Gold until the Semi-Finals if they can make it.

They are wearing their green and gold jersey against both Donegal and Meath

stuba wrote: »
    They are wearing their green and gold jersey against both Donegal and Meath

It always confuses my mind when teams wear the alternate jerseys.
    It never seems right.

I was thinking about the proliferation of green and gold colours in the GAA mainly based off the tricolour I assume?
    Like the way in British soccer there are a lot of blues/reds based off the Union Jack? (insert jackeen joke here)

Poor auld Dublin rarely get to wear thier alternate jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It always confuses my mind when teams wear the alternate jerseys.
    It never seems right.

I don't see why both Mayo and Kerry had to wear alternates yesterday. (Apologies if this has already been 'asked and answered')

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

They wouldn't think of it though, because it is the actions of a dirtbird. Imagine if Connolly threw something at a free-taker in the dying seconds? There'd be uproar.

Dirtbird :pac:

I'd much rather someone throw a GPS chip at a ball I'm kicking than stick their fingers in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I don't see why both Mayo and Kerry had to wear alternates yesterday. (Apologies if this has already been 'asked and answered')

I think its to be fair to both teams i.e. that there are no green jerseys on display anywhere in case there is some confusion between players. The same happens when Tyrone / Monaghan / Kildare are up against one another - no team wears a white jersey

• Advertisement

It should be like soccer
    When at home away team changes

Then toss for neutral games
    Suprised tipp and laois changed yesterday

Considering galway and cork never change when they play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

GAA thing, both teams always change so theres no advantage. Same in club and underage football as well

Kerry had home advantage yesterday so you'd have thought that Mayo would have gone for the away colours, there seems to be no exact rules on it and if anything there is almost a gentlemen agreement or you change now and we will change next time. There has been alot of different variations down through the years, I think the whole thing is rigged to keep selling jerseys to supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

They are a team that had numerous chances and blew it when it came to the crunch.
    That cannot be just 'hard luck'.
    The Mayo sidelines have a lot to answer for over the years.
    I used to admire thier resilience at getting to the latter stages repeatedly after being written off.
    But then an element associated with Mayo started getting whingey and whiny. Making excuses - like they were owed and 'due' an AI and owed one.
    That got annoying fast.
    Everyone and everything else was at fault except them.

I don't think I've ever seen any Mayo fan claim that we are owed or due an All Ireland. Reason we have lost every final is we've lost to a superior team on each occasion. And what exactly have we been winging and whining about then?

Monaghan have stuck to their white jerseys a few times when playing Tyrone

Definitely in one Ulster final and league game
    Think they were fined

Kerry and mayo didnt change in 1996, 2004, 2005 and 2006.

This only began in 2011 semi

Interestingly Kerry and donegal didnt change in 14 but did in 12

What colour is Derry home Jersey?
    Always thought it was white but used the red alot
    Any reason why

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There is no Away colours in GAA.

Traditionally, the home team should change if there is a clash, the visiting team keeps their own colours (probably because ita easier for the home team to get their hands on another set of jerseys in a hurry?), particularly at club level.

In Championship, protocol was that teams would wear the provincial colours at a time, therfore kerry once or twice wore blue against offaly in big games. Nowadays, with marketing etc, it's commercially expedient to have so called 'home and away' colours.
    Some counties of course still change colours, sligo have gone from white and black, to black with white, and now back to white with black trim within the last 10 or 15 years, and of course Donegal always wore green with gold until I think during the 1992 All Ireland run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭henke

Will Donegal and Kerry both wear home jerseys next weekend? The 2014 Donegal jersey had more yellow in than the current one. But then Donegal's alternative is too much like a Kerry jersey .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

GAA thing, both teams always change so theres no advantage. Same in club and underage football as well

not in my day it wasn't - I didn't remember too many clubs with second jerseys

we certainly didn't have one

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    not in my day it wasn't - I didn't remember too many clubs with second jerseys

we certainly didn't have one

My club would borrow the neighbouring clubs jerseys if they had a colour clash, nowadays most clubs have half dozen or more sets of jerseys,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement