Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭henke

Kerry after the weekend take Donegal's media crown of "team most likely to put it up to the Dubs" but if we win next weekend we can get that title back. I predict a high scoring game. Donegal are putting up impressive scores but giving up a lot of opportunities for the opposition. Kerry are a side who can take those chances. Hard game to call. We definitely need to tighten up.

I would like to see Cork beat Tyrone but think they may be too seasoned at this stage of championship to beat them as it almost certainly knock them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

The one thing the stands to Kerry is there footballing ability and conquering the basic skills of the game
    Broad statement but most teams cant do this

Under fitzmaurice they where rudderless but stayed in most games due to the above

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What? How on earth can you not write off the Rossies? They'll get tanked by Dublin and even if they were to beat Cork they would still be behind Tyrone on H2H

Sorry you are right that reads daft. What I meant is Roscommon could still have an impact on the final standings of the group.
    They are capable of beating Cork and wrecking Cork's chances of getting out of the group.
    Conversely Cork could win thier last two games knocking Tyrone out.

I have Cork and Roscommon down as anything could happen on thier day teams.
    I do think Dublin will have too much for Roscommon though. They just do not have the defenders to sustain the onslaught. If it was in the hyde, I would give them some sort of chance.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Intriguing clash between Donegal and Kerry coming up. Kerry had their most impressive performance year to date, Donegal looked slightly more wobbly than usual, but both won by large margins in the end. I find it difficult to pick a winner from this one, a couple of points either way. Meath are gonna really put it up to Mayo, and you never know, but still expect Mayo to win in the end

I think those two games are ones the neutrals will be tuning into for sure.
    In fairness barring the Dublin game, the other three games are hard enough to call.
    The more I think of it I might as well go to the Meath and Kerry games.
    Should be great value entertainment for the neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

My Prediciton for the weekend super 8's

Donegal 3-14 Kerry 0-12

Meath 1-13 Mayo 0-13

Dublin 4-15 Roscommon 1-08

Cork 1-10 Tryone 0-10

Kerry after scoring 1-22 yesterday to score just 0-12 against a less than water tight Donegal defence?

Meath v Mayo will be higher scoring game than that

Dublin capable but to beat Roscommon by a bigger margin that they beat Meath and Cork?

Tyrone who scored 5-74 in their last 4 games to only score 0-10 against Cork who have the worst defence of the 8 teams left in the championship?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I'll give my predicitons too:

Donegal 0-14 Kerry 1-16

Meath 1-14 Mayo 2-17

Dublin 3-20 Roscommon 0-12

Cork 0-14 Tryone 2-15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Donegal really will not want to have to go to Castlebar needing a win if they lose to Kerry, whereas Kerry would be fairly confident of beating Meath in the last round.

Donegal to shade a close game for me.
    Dublin to fillet Roscommon.
    Tyrone to strangle and fairly comfortably beat Cork.
    Mayo to beat Meath just about and give themselves a fighting chance of getting through in their last home game.

Should get 3 good games and 1 turkey shoot I think.

Kerry after scoring 1-22 yesterday to score just 0-12 against a less than water tight Donegal defence?

Meath v Mayo will be higher scoring game than that

Dublin capable but to beat Roscommon by a bigger margin that they beat Meath and Cork?

Tyrone who scored 5-74 in their last 4 games to only score 0-10 against Cork who have the worst defence of the 8 teams left in the championship?

Well I was thinking that Donegal will do a job on Kerry - revert to defensive style at times then when they attack they will get goals against that Kerry defence.

I think the Cork Tyrone game could be cagey. I just liked the way Cork kept the ball for long periods against Dublin then varied the pace when they felt it was needed. Plus Tyrone are set up to dig in and pick off scores.
    I think Cork have the beating of Tyrone if they get thier tactics right, they have pace and power.
    The Cork wing backs should be ideal up against Tyrone.

Anytime I have seen Roscommon in Croke Park they looked really lost the big pitch does not suit them. Dublin will have thier defence ran ragged.

Meath v Mayo.
    Yeah I might revise that one, they are hardly defensively sound teams, but my initial thought was it could be cagey and tense.
    In my head they are well matched.

I will probably get all the predictions wrong anyway. I don't bet anymore for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Roscommon not out of it yet, assuming Dublin win all 3 games, Cork could beat Tyrone and Roscommon then could beat Cork, unlikely I know but if Roscommon are to stand any chance they will have to go super defensive against the Dubs.
    Mayo are fecked imho, I think Meath might beat them this weekend.

patmac wrote: »
    Roscommon not out of it yet, assuming Dublin win all 3 games, Cork could beat Tyrone and Roscommon then could beat Cork, unlikely I know but if Roscommon are to stand any chance they will have to go super defensive against the Dubs.
    Mayo are fecked imho, I think Meath might beat them this weekend.

Yeah, I don't know what else Roscommon can do they will just have to try and make the game as ugly as possible.
    If they can keep it to a 6-7 point loss they might have some hope considering Cork are -13 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Anytime I have seen Roscommon in Croke Park they looked really lost the big pitch does not suit them. Dublin will have thier defence ran ragged.

Apart from the drawn game v Mayo in 2017 the rossies have looked a bit lost in their last few Croke Park championship games but i don't think its anything to do with a big pitch as the pitch in Hyde Park is apparently a similar size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

kilns wrote: »
    English soccer type attitude amongst most Dublin supporters, care to share reasons backed up with examples...

I saw a classic from a twitter account. Dublin lad pleads that the media leave Connolly alone because he is an “amateur”

Tweet from same account before that one, he is calling Aidan O’se a big pansy who wouldn’t bate eggs. Total hypocrisy. Loads of it out there.

@DHigggins is his account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I saw a classic from a twitter account. Dublin lad pleads that the media leave Connolly alone because he is an “amateur”

Tweet from same account before that one, he is calling Aidan O’se a big pansy who wouldn’t bate eggs. Total hypocrisy. Loads of it out there.

@DHigggins is his account

huh?

Apart from the drawn game v Mayo in 2017 the rossies have looked a bit lost in their last few Croke Park championship games but i don't think its anything to do with a big pitch as the pitch in Hyde Park is apparently a similar size.

Yeah but it's not the 'home comfort' of the Hyde.
    They were really unlucky against Dublin there in the league two scrappy goals from the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Mod Edit: Nope, not going back to that again.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I'll give my predicitons too:

Donegal 0-14 Kerry 1-16

Meath 1-14 Mayo 2-17

Dublin 3-20 Roscommon 0-12

Cork 0-14 Tryone 2-15

If Cork can tighten up their defence they could come close to Tyrone. But if we see the same gaps at the back as they were against Kerry and Dublin, then Tyrone could run riot.

I'm still tipping a tight game as Cork surely can't be as bad at the back again.

There's some serious talent up front though, they are running up big enough scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

For this weekend i reckon

Tyrone 3-16 Cork 1-13
    Dublin 1-19 Roscommon 1-10
    Mayo 2-14 Meath 2-12
    Kerry 2-16 Donegal 1-17

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Was impressed with Cork against Dublin but I think Tyrone will do a job on them.

Dublin will obviously beat Roscommon.

The other two games could go either way, I'll go for Meath and Donegal to edge them. Meath look a bit of value in the betting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,254 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

For this weekend i reckon

Tyrone 3-16 Cork 1-13
    Dublin 1-19 Roscommon 1-10
    Mayo 2-14 Meath 2-12
    Kerry 2-16 Donegal 1-17

paddy powers has it handicapped as follows

Kerry +1 over Donegal
    Mayo +3 over Meath
    Tyrone +4 over Cork
    Dublin +17 over Roscommon

They will have have lenghtened the Dublin handicap as they will expect that there will be more betting on Dublin because of Population difference.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tyrone 3-16 Cork 1-13 Dublin 1-19 Roscommon 1-10 Mayo 2-14 Meath 2-12 Kerry 2-16 Donegal 1-17

I don't think Tyrone will score 3 against Cork.

Bar a penno I don't think Roscommon will score a goal against Dublin, I think Dublin might score 2 goals against them rather than one.

Not sure about Kerry Donegal, hard to call, I'd favour Donegal, just about, but it might be viewed as a meaningless game if both think they will beat Meath and Mayo regardless.

TBH, I think Meath have it in them to beat a shell shocked Mayo, particularly in midfield. But you'd never know how Mayo will respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Stoner wrote: »

TBH, I think Meath have it in them to beat a shell shocked Mayo, particularly in midfield. But you'd never know how Mayo will respond.

Given up trying to figure out what they're about myself. Could still feasibly end up in a semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

The only score Id be sure of is Dublin v Ross, that the Dubs will win!
    Depending which Cork appear, I dont think they'll be pushovers. They are expert goal getters and I think it'll be a high scoring game actually. Would love to see a Cork win to liven that side up abit!
    Donegal v Kerry is a minefield to me. No matter what, I dont think Kerry will be as pumped as Sunday gone, I just dont think thats mentally possible. All this talk of them this week doesn't really help either. They had one mighty game yes, but lets see what this Sunday brings. The idea of more or less unmarkable Clifford on one team and unstoppable Murphy on the other, is mouthwatering lads!!So hard to call, Im going with a draw!
    and Meath Mayo, well.......... I remember Meath in 97 when we played Offaly in the Leinster final and we were damned with injuries, suspensions etc and had just come out of the dogfight 3 in a row games with Kildare. We were the walking wounded that day and we were more or less destroyed, just like Mayo were. Alot of similarities... The difference was we were out, no more chances. Mayo however do have a chance to redeem themselves and thats my big worry..Depending who they can get back by Sunday and how their minds are, they could be dangerous. However from a Meath point of view, we never ever fear Mayo and we reallly like to beat them so again very tough call. 2nd Draw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I can't see it confirmed anywhere else yet but Cork V Roscommon is fixed for Sunday August 4th at 4pm in Pairc Ui Rinn (Pairc Ui Chaoimh is being resurfaced) according to Roscommon GAA twitter account.

It would probably mean the Group 1 games would be the previous Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I can't see it confirmed anywhere else yet but Cork V Roscommon is fixed for Sunday August 4th at 4pm in Pairc Ui Rinn (Pairc Ui Chaoimh is being resurfaced) according to Roscommon GAA twitter account.

It would probably mean the Group 1 games would be the previous Saturday evening.

I saw on the official Donegal account on Twitter that the group 1 games are 6pm on Saturday August 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Tyrone 2-13 v 1-14 Cork

Dublin 3-18 v 0-14 Ross

Meath 1-13 v 0-14 Mayo

Kerry 2-15 v 1-15 Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,254 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Tyrone 2-13 v 1-14 Cork

Dublin 3-18 v 0-14 Ross

Meath 1-13 v 0-14 Mayo

Kerry 2-15 v 1-15 Donegal

TBH trying to predict the scores in 3-4 matches is like trying to pick the lotto numbers. It may be even harder. You have three of the games with a one, two and three point difference. its hard to see them all that close. Some games are more risky than other. Meath and Mayo both have ti win to stay in the championship. If either are 2-3 points down with 5 minutes to go they may need to go looking for goals which may allow the other team to win by 5-10 points. While both Kerry and Donegal can afford a loss neither can afford a 5+ point loss. This could be a game that stays very tight. Cork needs to beat Tyrone which may leave them open at the back late in the game. Tyrone need to win as beating Dublin in Clones while not impossible is a tough task if you need the result. If they are a point or two down with 5 to go they would have to take risks.

Its hard not to see Dublin not winning with a bit to spare against Roscommon

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I saw on the official Donegal account on Twitter that the group 1 games are 6pm on Saturday August 3rd

Great stuff. Love the Saturday night games

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Unfortunately for Roscommon I can see us beating them by 20+ points. The handicap in the bookies is 14, which seems extremely kind.

The obvious pitfall is whether Dublin decide to go for the massacre... or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Slattsy wrote: »
    Unfortunately for Roscommon I can see us beating them by 20+ points. The handicap in the bookies is 14, which seems extremely kind.

The obvious pitfall is whether Dublin decide to go for the massacre... or not.

Might depend on Cork result.
    If Cork win, there is the possibility of the last 2 places being decided on score difference.
    If Cork lose, dubs need only win to take score difference out of equation.
    Having said that, the competition for places probably ensures that they will be going hard all game.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

There is no way a neutral game between Dublin and Roscommon should be played at Croker.

This is the one glaring mistake in the Super 8 format.

I know Roscommon people, especially those living in Dublin, would like to see their team play in Croker, but do they really want to see them hammered out the gate if it comes to that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement