Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Ironically the opening weekend of the super eights was close last year!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Slattsy wrote:
    Kerry ropey at the back, a better team would have scored more. Decent up top when Geaney clicks though. Dangerous forwards. Mayo finished.
    That last point put them top of the table, comparing the two games you'd think Kerry would have easily been top of the table, Donegal did well to tack on so many points at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Kerry looked well rested.
    4 games in 4 weeks showing in Mayo, on top of the injuries.

Kerry v Donegal will decide the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Do tell?

Lol. If you're not seeing it, theres no helping you. Every successful team has that cynical streak and Dublin are no different. You need it to win. It's not a dig or a criticism but you could at least take off the blue tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

If you read over my posts you'd realise that I've clarified my complaints. Mayo have been second best all day.

Kerry don't need the gimmes that they're getting.

Refereeing and umpiring have been scandalous.

Welcome to Boards grasshopper.

Says the Dub. The amount of soft decisions starstruck referees have given ye over the last few years.

Cop on to yourself. The refereeing today was fine. If anything Kerry can be aggrieved about not getting more frees in the second half, presumably because the ref wanted to tighten things up again.
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    Dublin Cork.
    Donegal Meath.

And I actually like the way this Mayo team are getting a hammering.

Dublin- Cork was terrible. Over at half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Moran should've been MOTM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Moran should've been MOTM

Andy Moran, is it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

C__MC wrote: »
    65 mins whatever it was
    Dublin toyed with cork left 5 goals behind them tbf.
    A nice open timid game but the dubs never in trouble

Meath donegal. Meath collapsed and were never going to win it. Donegal eased home. I

The rossies are happy to have won connaught. Tyrone toyed with them.

Its Connacht, not Connaught.
    Roscommon played very well at times, created 4 goal chances, hit the post twice and Cox had an off day.

Tyrone toyed with Ros last year when they beat them by double scores.

Yesterday was a huge improvement by Ros and Tyrone didn’t “toy” with them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Surprisingly, this has been the most one-sided game of the weekend.

Kerry ropey at the back, a better team would have scored more. Decent up top when Geaney clicks though. Dangerous forwards.
    Mayo finished.

Massive gulf in fitness, skill and class Slattsy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

gaffer91 wrote:
    Says the Dub. The amount of soft decisions starstruck referees have given ye over the last few years.

Says the Kerry man. We deserved them all. Thats GAA football you got plenty in your time.

Bar a free that should have been closer to the goal for mayo I didn't see much wrong with the ref.

I'd say it was a handy one to ref there was no bite to it at all.

TBH I thought the Cork/Dublin game was a better game to watch, Kerry were just so much better than mayo today from start to finish.

Not one of the mayo lads stood up and offered the keeper another option.

That's not Kerry's fault, they were fresher, stronger and yes it was lob sided today but that's because Mayo were tired and flat and Kerry were fantastic

Not every match can be great contest, I think it's a good super 8s so far.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Lol. If you're not seeing it, theres no helping you. Every successful team has that cynical streak and Dublin are no different. You need it to win. It's not a dig or a criticism but you could at least take off the blue tinted glasses.

No. You made a statement. So I'm assuming you have evidence or facts to back it up.

So tell me about how Dublin have been given decisions?

RMAOK wrote: »
    Andy Moran, is it? :pac:

Hes still got it. Every point he kicked was majestic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Haha.

Haha

gaffer91 wrote: »

Cop on to yourself. The refereeing today was fine. If anything Kerry can be aggrieved about not getting more frees in the second half, presumably because the ref wanted to tighten things up again.

Tell me about all the soft decisions so.

No. You made a statement. So I'm assuming you have evidence or facts to back it up.

So tell me about how Dublin have been given decisions?

Show me some of that evidence or facts from the last 9 years that you claim about Kerry and I'll happily throw up a few for you. You may as well go first since it was you that brought it up

gaffer91 wrote: »

This isn't really true but there is one ref in particular. Married to a dub and living beside them that seems to get a lot of their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This isn't really true but there is one ref in particular. Married to a dub and living beside them that seems to get a lot of their games.

So Dublin GAA choose the refs now aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Impressive win for Kerry i doubt anyone saw them win by 10 points. As a neutral for a game that was so hyped up it was disappointing that it was such a one sided contest. Would be foolish to write off a seasoned and experienced Mayo side yet, Meath in Croke Park and Donegal in MacHale Park are winnable games for them but its depends on how they recover from today's heavy defeat.

In the earlier game Meath gave a decent account of themselves for 55 minutes but Donegal's better fitness and conditioning was the difference in the final quarter as they scored 1-6 without reply.

Of the 4 "super 8" games only the Roscommon v Tyrone a 4 points difference was the only real competitive game for 70 minutes. Hopefully next weekend produces a more closer encounters.

Examples for both of ye.

The wide point today given as a score.

Dublin getting CP as a homeground.

In fairness you're both right but it's all issues from the GAA centrally. These are Central decisions made the appointment of referees, their standards and the timing of the competition all come from the top of the GAA and it is being run into the ground.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    So Dublin GAA choose the refs now aswell.

Where did I say that? Can you explain the difference in distribution, I do think it looks odd but can't think of a viable reason.

Also if you read the full context you'd see I was saying they don't get a bunch of decisions 5hey blatantly shouldn't like was being suggested.

• Advertisement

Examples for both of ye.

The wide point today given as a score.

Dublin getting CP as a homeground.

In fairness you're both right but it's all issues from the GAA centrally. These are Central decisions made the appointment of referees, their standards and the timing of the competition all come from the top of the GAA and it is being run into the ground.

I agree. Kerry are as cynical as they come and I love that they have that streak. If they didn't they'd have won fcuk all. It's just hilarious to see other fans think their team is snow white when its the polar opposite that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Stoner wrote: »
    Says the Kerry man. We deserved them all. Thats GAA football you got plenty in your time.

Bar a free that should have been closer to the goal for mayo I didn't see much wrong with the ref.

I didn't see much wrong with the referee either- BonnieSituation was the one whinging and moaning, I just had to set him right.
    Tell me about all the soft decisions so.

There's no point- you're too biased and blinkered to be able to process the information properly.

I agree it's down the list of the reasons for Dublin's all Ireland victories though, behind financial doping, home advantage and other things.

This is all off- topic anyway. The key take-home message is that the referee didn't favour Kerry today- it's quite sad that you're so anti-Kerry you actually think that.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I agree. Kerry are as cynical as they come and I love that they have that streak. If they didn't they'd have won fcuk all. It's just hilarious to see other fans think their team is snow white when its the polar opposite that's true.

Most teams have that, managing the game/ref. Kerry have a lot of Goodwill with the public due to playing traditional football during the 00s to today and winning the ais back from the northern style. I think that's part of why they are liked

Aside: Kerry didn't award the point, it was an embarrassed umpire, ie poor officiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Surprised by how tight the Kerry backs got in the game. Mayos kick passing was poor no doubt but at least some off that came from the pressure the backs were exerting. Don't know if that answers their critics just yet but it was a step in the right direction.

Tough choices need to be made by Horan now. The lads 30+ are willing but you're gonna get nowhere with them. Vaughan would be embarrassed against the likes of Dublin and Tyrone. The younger replacements mightn't have made a name for themselves yet but the future starts here would be my mantra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Trio123

Needless to say Clifford and Moran were class today. Can't say that Kerry are contenders yet because Mayo were very poor. They gave them too much space and their passing was atrocious. Connacht form also showing, I thought Roscommon would be the dark horse this year but Cork look to be the surprise package! Dublin Donegal final for me,!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Trio123 wrote: »
    Needless to say Clifford and Moran were class today. Can't say that Kerry are contenders yet because Mayo were very poor. They gave them too much space and their passing was atrocious. Connacht form also showing, I thought Roscommon would be the dark horse this year but Cork look to be the surprise package! Dublin Donegal final for me,!

Were Mayo poor? Or were they schooled?

Dots1982 wrote: »

Mayo were poor, terrible kickout strategy and the game got away from them early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Trio123

Dots1982 wrote: »

Kerry didn't force them to kick the ball away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Got that wrong anyway :) Very good performance by Kerry. Big improvement from Cork game but doesn't mean they're any more likely to be contenders tho.

Signs of progress good tho.

• Advertisement

Forget about the refs anyway, made no difference at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement