Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Mayo were poor, terrible kickout strategy and the game got away from them early.

Guess its a difference of opinion. I’m not from Kerry but looked to me like a game Kerry took away from Mayo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dots1982 wrote:
    Were Mayo poor? Or were they schooled?

Both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Stoner wrote: »
    Forget about the refs anyway, made no difference at all.

Didn't make a difference but should still be held to a standard. Only looking at refs when they decide tight games is reactionary and won't do much.

Gavin keeps his standards regardless of who is playing and those standards are what keeps dublins level up. The GAA centrally could learn from that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Were Mayo poor? Or were they schooled?

Just in the door from the match and I'd say Mayo looked a tired worn out team today. For me the heat was a massive massive factor. It was tiring just being on the terrace never mind having to play football - I would be very forgiving of any of the lads on either team given the conditions. It really was not a day for Mayo's running game. I think this combined with the qualifier route was the main issue for Mayo and a large part of why they failed to raise more of a gallop. Even in the second half it was noticeable how much the subs with the fresher legs on both sides got on the ball. I thought Keane could have made the subs for Kerry a lot earlier than he did down the home stretch - epecially given how noticeably effective the fresh legs of Moynihan and O'Sullivan were- they did a lot of off the ball running/offering options.

In terms of the reffing the complaint on the terraces was the fact that the ref seemed to do nothing about the constant Mayo fouling - it wasn't as if he wasn't seeing it because he was giving frees. He didn't appear to even tick a single Mayo player never mind dish out any yellows. It would have been interesting to see how many times Clifford was fouled versus how many frees he got - Harrison before he was moved off of him was hanging off his jersey off the ball countless times.

I'd still have concerns about Kerry's defence - they performed well today (miles and miles ahead of the Cork game) but there was an element of gambling in terms of defending from the front sometimes. A big difference to my eyes from the Cork game was that Kerry did so much better in terms of putting pressure on Mayo's kickers out around midfield so that the quality of the ball being played through was of low quality and this helped make things easier for the Kerry backs.

Anyway Kerry are up and running and have a bit of momentum going into the Donegal game. For Mayo it's tough to know how they'll be next week - I wouldn't be shocked at all if they was a reaction to today and they ended up beating Meath comfortably (I only saw 15 minutes of the Meath Donegal game)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Mayo were poor, terrible kickout strategy and the game got away from them early.

Kerry took their kick out strategy away, he had nowhere to go with his kicks in the first half because every man was covered. All he could do was go longer and Kerry gobbled all those up, Moran in particular. You could see from the terraces just how difficult Kerry were making it for him.

Much improved from Kerry, too many injuries and too many games in quick succession for Mayo I’m afraid. That said they will probably back themselves to beat Meath and then they’ve a break before playing Donegal at home. It’s still in their own hands for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,155 ✭✭✭✭km79

Kerry took their kick out strategy away, he had nowhere to go with his kicks in the first half because every man was covered. All he could do was go longer and Kerry gobbled all those up, Moran in particular. You could see from the terraces just how difficult Kerry were making it for him.

Much improved from Kerry, too many injuries and too many games in quick succession for Mayo I’m afraid. That said they will probably back themselves to beat Meath and then they’ve a break before playing Donegal at home. It’s still in their own hands for the most part.

Its not
    If donegal win next weekend the scoring difference would be insurmountable
    Need Kerry to win

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

km79 wrote:
    A definite weak link

Really? OK..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I thought Kerry were superb anyway. Sometimes I think when one team destroys another, there’s a tendency to always focus on the team that were destroyed and they should be seen as having massively underperformed.

While if Kerry won by a point they might get more lavish praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I thought Kerry were superb anyway. Sometimes I think when one team destroys another, there’s a tendency to always focus on the team that were destroyed and they should be seen as having massively underperformed.

While if Kerry won by a point they might get more lavish praise.

They were excellent. O'Brien was superb. Moran in midfield too.

For Mayo, Horan was incredibly slow to make changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yeah you are right, a draw would suit them fine as well, beat Donegal then and they will go through.

Interestingly no team that lost the opener made it through last year so that probably an indication that they are up against it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They were excellent. O'Brien was superb. Moran in midfield too.

For Mayo, Horan was incredibly slow to make changes.

Always has been

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Unbelievable that RTE will show the games in reverse order. Considering that only 6 hours ago anyone who had an interest in this game had already watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Unbelievable that RTE will show the games in reverse order. Considering that only 6 hours ago anyone who had an interest in this game had already watched it.

Possibly to do with the tipp laois match being on at the same time as mayo Kerry. Think the next one will be Donegal vs meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,273 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Just in the door from the match and I'd say Mayo looked a tired worn out team today.

Mayo just remind me of Armagh in the 2nd half of the noughties. They still have the big names, still put in big performances here and there and people still think they are contenders, but the reality is that their peak has come and gone and they are going to fall short more often than not.

Mayo from a few years ago would have eaten that Kerry team for breakfast but it just isn't in them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Dublin Cork.
    Donegal Meath.

And I actually like the way this Mayo team are getting a hammering.

Bonus enjoyment points for Clarke's kick-outs falling apart again, and Aidan O'Shea getting the complete run-around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

blanch152 wrote: »
    Dublin Cork.
    Donegal Meath.

And I actually like the way this Mayo team are getting a hammering.

Bonus enjoyment points for Clarke's kick-outs falling apart again, and Aidan O'Shea getting the complete run-around.
    Can't understand the hate for this Mayo team. They're the only team that kept the football championship interesting in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Some sad bastards wishing ill on this mayo team. If it wasn't for them the championship would have been so much less entertaining the past 10 years. I hope they bounce back but just not next week against Meath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

You've got to respect the character of this Mayo team to be fair. They have bounced back so many times. I'd love them to win that evasive AI for all the brilliant games they have given us over the past 25 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Strengthens your argument?? The above comment shows that you are making points which you have not bothered to check out. I realise this will make absolutely no difference to you and that you have already made your mind up; Kerry 4 in a row - good, Dublin 4 in a row - bad.

But like I said you are simply wrong about that Kerry team. In those four Under-21 winning teams in five years no less than 43 players started the All-Ireland finals. There was an abundance of players in Kerry in those days.

I didn’t suggest there was a shortage. This is a fairly basic point which you are for some unknown reason acting as if you cannot grasp.

I looked into the four teams before posting last night - Charlie Neligan and Ogie Moran were on the last three winning teams. Mikey Sheehy and Tim Kennelly were on the team in 73 ( joined by Ger Power and John Egan that year)and 75.

Paidí O Se joined them on the 1975 team and was also on the 76 team. Jack O’Shea was in midfield for 76 and 77 and Pat Spillane was in the forwards. The 76 and 77 teams also featured Tommy Doyle and Sean Walsh. Eoin Liston was on the 77 team.

Acting as if there is no difference between a group of players who had outstanding success at both under age and senior level and the current dominance Dublin enjoy is moronic frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Hate this **** of Tomas O'Se naming players in plurals as in the Cliffords,the O'Sheas,the O'Connors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,254 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Can't understand the hate for this Mayo team. They're the only team that kept the football championship interesting in the last few years.

I go to every All Ireland final if I can get a ticket. I have not missed a final for about 10 years. I lost a lot of respect for Mayo at the 2107 All Ireland final. You have to deserve to win. Mayo and this team in particular seem to think they are entitled to an All Ireland. In 2017 they had the winning of the game except that when Dublin was being reduced to 14 men Donal Vaughan did something stupid and got himself send off. They still had chances to win the game with a Co'C free kick and could not get a kickout away against 13 men in the end. Even after that Lee Keegan threw his GPS at Dean Rock I was disgusted. Must say that was the end of my respect for them. I no longer feel sorry for them. 2016 was similar they contrived to draw and lose two games they should have won.

As players they had amazing ability but they lacked the will to win. They seemed to contrive a different way each year to lose finals and semi-finals against Dublin. I think any team would fancy there chances against Mayo in an All Ireland Final.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

JeffKenna wrote: »

Who said anything about 'hate'? The only constant thorn in the side of Dublin GAA these past few years have been Mayo. If they get the legs run off them before that in Kerry or Croke Park or Castlebar over the next few weeks it makes their job that bit harder if they do come up against Dublin later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

As players they had amazing ability but they lacked the will to win
    . They seemed to contrive a different way each year to lose finals and semi-finals against Dublin. I think any team would fancy there chances against Mayo in an All Ireland Final.

Maybe they just weren't good enough. Dublin would have been hot favourites against them each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

It is the end of an era for this Mayo team, they are no longer contenders and should be in the group that should see reaching the super 8s as a succesful season. I would fear for them over the next 5 - 10 years as some of the players who have been around the team over the last few years will either retire or start to get disheartened.

I for one will not miss guys like Lee Keegan, I lost all respect for him for what he did when Rock was taking that free.

It might be a year or two too soon but I expect could be the next dominant force as Dublin for all the people who want to hate them will not be able to sustain their current success and actually could be vunerable this year too

kilns wrote: »

I for one will not miss guys like Lee Keegan, I lost all respect for him for what he did when Rock was taking that free.

Fair enough. Did you lose respect for any other players in that game?

Fair enough. Did you lose respect for any other players in that game?

Who else cold bloodedly threw a GPS tracker at someone while taking a free kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,254 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

robbiezero wrote: »
    Maybe they just weren't good enough. Dublin would have been hot favourites against them each time.

Part of it is the weight of history after not having won an All Irelanf in nearly 70 years but Clare over came this in the 90'a, part of it is losing ones you should have won but Limerick over came that last year. Yes Dublin were favourites as Bookies know when push come to shove Mayo will make stupid mistakes or let the occasion come to them. Like I said this gruop of Mayo players had amazing ability but lacked bottle IMO. Then they seemed to accept the tags of also rans. No team gets to 3-4 All ireland finals and a few semI's unless they had the ability to win

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Who else cold bloodedly threw a GPS tracker at someone while taking a free kick?

jeez he didn't murder him... everyone is allowed the odd indiscretion in life no? We're not all vanilla. Keegan's moment of madness was no doubt borne out of desperation...

lawred2 wrote: »
    jeez he didn't murder him... everyone is allowed the odd indiscretion in life no? We're not all vanilla. Keegan's moment of madness was no doubt borne out of desperation...

Its exactly why I said cold bloodedly as she was probably trying to refer to other moments in that game which were heat of the moment stuff from both sides during the game but what he did was pre-meditated and not a moment a madness as he had plenty of time to consider his actions between when the free was given and the run up to the free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

He didn't draw blood kilns its cool.;)

He wouldn't have been the only cheating bastard on the pitch that day either. You can be sure as **** Philly McMahon or Johnny Cooper would be doing the same thing had they thought of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement