Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,148 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

lawred2 wrote: »
    not in my day it wasn't - I didn't remember too many clubs with second jerseys

we certainly didn't have one

Better funded clubs with a good bit of sponsorship might stretch to an alternative set of jerseys but I'd imagine most clubs wouldn't be able to afford that luxury. My local club certainly couldn't anyway and it's a reasonable sized senior club.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen any Mayo fan claim that we are owed or due an All Ireland. Reason we have lost every final is we've lost to a superior team on each occasion. And what exactly have we been winging and whining about then?

Well I seem to remember Cillian O'Connor saying the ref did not tell him how long was left when taking a free. Yet he spent ages over it and wasted his own time.
    Another one was when Dublin were playing keep ball near the end of an AI final - it was implied by some Mayo that it was not in the spirit of the game or GAA.
    They almost expected Dublin to give the ball to Mayo.
    Plenty of silly stuff like that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

Well I seem to remember Cillian O'Connor saying the ref did not tell him how long was left when taking a free. Yet he spent ages over it and wasted his own time.
    Another one was when Dublin were playing keep ball near the end of an AI final - it was implied by some Mayo that it was not in the spirit of the game or GAA.
    They almost expected Dublin to give the ball to Mayo.
    Plenty of silly stuff like that.

Well you'll always have mad fans, the O'Connor incident was the fact that he was being criticised for kicking the free instead of going for goal so he explained his rationale in that he thought there would be one more attack and there would have been, except Dublin won the kickout afterwards.

Any level headed Mayo supporter would agree we've lost to the better team in all four of our final appearances this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Barlett wrote: »
    Well you'll always have mad fans, the O'Connor incident was the fact that he was being criticised for kicking the free instead of going for goal so he explained his rationale in that he thought there would be one more attack and there would have been, except Dublin won the kickout afterwards.

Any level headed Mayo supporter would agree we've lost to the better team in all four of our final appearances this decade.

Ai. There's not many level headed Mayo fans around here though :D:D

Personally I preferred the Mayo team of the 90s that had Mchale in it and the team of the 00's with McDonald in it.
    They had fun, flair and steel about them.
    I am not sure this current decades Mayo team will be remembered as fondly by neutrals (even though they probably achieved more than those other vintages)

• Advertisement

Personally I preferred the Mayo team of the 90s that had Mchale in it and the team of the 00's with McDonald in it.
    They had fun, flair and steel about them.
    I am not sure this current decades Mayo team will be remembered as fondly by neutrals (even though they probably achieved more than those other vintages)

I think that's down to the fact that the current team is/was a better team overall, certainly the best Mayo have ever produced and more of a threat to every other county. The other teams while good, didn't hang around for long. This one has been around for pretty much the whole decade and while they haven't won it, people naturally get sick of the same teams battling it out every year. While Dublin fans may not remember Mayo 2011 onwards fondly, we definitely won't have fond memories of Jim Gavin's team either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

I wouldn't get too bothered by a couple of Dublin supporters hating on Mayo.

They are probably the same sporting fans who boo the free taker in Croke Park!

Nice to see some respect for the free takers in Killarney from both sets of supporters btw.

I notice this from the Dublin ex-players you hear on the airwaves as well.

You would think they'd be grateful that 1 team put it up to them and made them earn their all-irelands, but they seem to resent Mayo for doing this. Probably down to the English soccer type attitude among most Dublin supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm not sure about that. I think they would have one where Vaughan stupidly got sent off and balanced up the numbers. And I'm not a Mayo supporter. Their real cause for complaint was the semi they lost to Kerry in Limerick. The ref that day was atrocious and gave Kerry everything. That happens because Kerry play up the myth they are the pure footballers and never stoop to cynicism. Like hell they don't!

crossman47 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. I think they would have one where Vaughan stupidly got sent off and balanced up the numbers. And I'm not a Mayo supporter. Their real cause for complaint was the semi they lost to Kerry in Limerick. The ref that day was atrocious and gave Kerry everything. That happens because Kerry play up the myth they are the pure footballers and never stoop to cynicism. Like hell they don't!

Vaughan was daft, but we did have a free to go a point up in injury and hit the post whereas Dublin converted those. 2014 will never be forgotten, the ref had a nightmare, but you have to move on, the result will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

harpsman wrote: »

You would think they'd be grateful that 1 team put it up to them and made them earn their all-irelands, but they seem to resent Mayo for doing this. Probably down to the English soccer type attitude among most Dublin supporters.

English soccer type attitude amongst most Dublin supporters, care to share reasons backed up with examples...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

kilns wrote: »
    English soccer type attitude amongst most Dublin supporters, care to share reasons backed up with examples...

Fans on the hill booing when the Cork penalty was been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

technocrat wrote: »

We're not still pretending this is just a Dublin thing are we?

It's not rugby.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

We're not still pretending this is just a Dublin thing are we?

It's not rugby.

You'd very rarely hear it these days except in Croker. It used to happen years ago from the more immature fans of every county.

Why should good sportsmanship be confined to rugby anyways?

Are some Dubs so desperate to win they will resort to booing of a free taker? Fair enough if they want to, but they must also accept when the supporters of their opponents despise Dublin fans and often by extension their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

The big deal is because if it was a Mayo player who did it, they get an easy ride as they are the annual losers who people fell sorry for. If as one poster above suggested Cooper or McMahon did it (but they didnt and never have), then the whole media and supporters throughout the country would have gone nuts about it and called for huge bans for the offending player.

Its done now, Dublin won, Rock scored the free but it was lets say a very unsporting thing to do. Yes he was a great player, but that was pretty low and luckily it didnt effect the outcome of that match.

What about Costello running behind the goal and throwing away the keepers tees? Or the 3 Dublin lads wrestling the Mayo players to the ground before the last kick out? id say that was worse myself.

I'd also be a bit more forgiving of a team desperate to win their first than a team trying to win their 5th in 7 seasons

harpsman wrote: »

I never noticed that myself - the focus seems to be on Donegal,Tyrone, Kerry.
    The only reason an ex-Dublin player would mention Mayo these days if it was:

1) A nostalgia/charity challenge match
    2) A league game
    3) If they were invited in to cover a Connacht game

Other than that Mayo do not have much relevance for both Dublin, ex-Dublin players and Dublin fans in the championship.

They have bigger fish to fry now.

It seems that some Mayo fans like yourself are trying to create a relevance for Mayo these days - when really they are just background noise to the main events in the championship.

Dublin were like that in the 00's I remember how that feels - the sideshow/sidenote.
    The only difference was they had former AI winners in thier side.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

That's is unsportsman like - but it is not the Dublin Team's fault, and knowing Jim Gavin would put a stop to it if he could.

It is a drop in the ocean compared to what Lee Keegan did though, which was pure scum, and there is no other words to describe.

You'd very rarely hear it these days except in Croker. It used to happen years ago from the more immature fans of every county.

Are some Dubs so desperate to win they will resort to booing of a free taker? Fair enough if they want to, but they must also accept when the supporters of their opponents despise Dublin fans and often by extension their team.

This just isn't true.

Such boring criticism anyway. Who cares? It's just noise.

Seriously, is that all you have? :rolleyes:

I was at the Dublin v Galway semi final last year sitting in the hogan stand and in the same row was 6 or 8 Dublin fans all in their late 50’s early 60’s.

These same fans had rolled up their match programs and used them to boo through every Galway free that was awarded.

Now this was a game where Dublin were comfortably ahead on the scoreline and the frees weren’t controversial but still the booing continued to the final whistle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Can't understand the hate for this Mayo team. They're the only team that kept the football championship interesting in the last few years.

And when they stop appearing in Super 8s the media and GAA themselves will regret it. As happened in 2018.
    So will the likes of the pubs and restaurants of the towns they visit on the annual magical mystery tour.

Just imagine what type of championships closing stages we would have had over the last 10 years without Mayo's sometimes unorthrodox contributions.
    Who else cold bloodedly threw a GPS tracker at someone while taking a free kick?

Ahh FFS.
    I would hate to hear the whining if you had lost.
    You won, get over it.
    SeanJ09 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen any Mayo fan claim that we are owed or due an All Ireland. Reason we have lost every final is we've lost to a superior team on each occasion. And what exactly have we been winging and whining about then?

We have also made major mistakes on the sideline as well.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

See there is the blinkers on again the creation of the 'nasty Dub' narrative.
    You can't attack the team (thier perfect) so let's attack the minority of fans.
    And pretend that other counties never do it anymore - that is called selective hearing.
    Then when the Dubs do it 'ah hah typical!'
    That is called confirmation bias you only look for things that confirm your bias and ignore all other evidence.

Any fella with an iota of sense will know that the Hill is congregated by a majority of young fellas, many of whom are intoxicated.
    You get fellas like that in every county. I am sure you have seen them bushwhacking (as the saw doctors say) in your own county?

Seriously, is that all you have? :rolleyes:

So you acknowledge it happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

How does booing prevent anyone from taking a penalty?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I never noticed that myself - the focus seems to be on Donegal,Tyrone, Kerry.
    The only reason an ex-Dublin player would mention Mayo these days if it was:

1) A nostalgia/charity challenge match
    2) A league game
    3) If they were invited in to cover a Connacht game

Other than that Mayo do not have much relevance for both Dublin, ex-Dublin players and Dublin fans as well in the championship.

They have bigger fish to fry now.

It seems that some Mayo fans like yourself are trying to create a relevance for Mayo these days - when really they are just background noise to the main events in the championship.

Dublin were like that in the 00's I remember how that feels - the sideshow/sidenote.
    The only difference was they had former AI winners in thier side.

About the 100th post to tell us Mayo have no relevance. :)

As for Mayo v Dublin, Mayo played Dublin a few times over the last 10 years in the championship. Drew with them twice, beat them once, probably should have beaten them 2 or 3 times more.

Not bad against a county that received something like 30 times more GDF funds over that period and played at home in every single encounter.

I suspect history and future GAA supporters will be kinder to this Mayo team than the financially doped Dubs ;)

So you acknowledge it happened!

and? its exclusive to Dublin fans, god forbide you would see a Kerry, Cork or Mayo fan do that and represents English soccer fan type behavior?

Give it a rest :rolleyes:

munster87 wrote: »
    How does booing prevent anyone from taking a penalty?

Who said it did??
    It’s just bad sportsmanship and has no place in the game.

I was at the Dublin v Galway semi final last year sitting in the hogan stand and in the same row was 6 or 8 Dublin fans all in their late 50’s early 60’s.

These same fans had rolled up their match programs and used them to boo through every Galway free that was awarded.

Now this was a game where Dublin were comfortably ahead on the scoreline and the frees weren’t controversial but still the booing continued to the final whistle :rolleyes:

Oh how very convient in your row were a group of men who dont fit into the young and silly demographic and are doing things which you claim :rolleyes:

I was at the same game and 10 Galway supporters mostly women were shouting all sorts of abuse at the Dublin players.

I cant prove that but heck i might aswell make that up because you just did :rolleyes:

Who said it did??

and by defacto because they boo and no other supporter would dare to boo they are like English soccer hooligans...........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

In Championship, protocol was that teams would wear the provincial colours at a time, therfore kerry once or twice wore blue against offaly in big games. Nowadays, with marketing etc, it's commercially expedient to have so called 'home and away' colours. Some counties of course still change colours, sligo have gone from white and black, to black with white, and now back to white with black trim within the last 10 or 15 years, and of course Donegal always wore green with gold until I think during the 1992 All Ireland run.

Donegal wore the current gold with green trim etc in the 70s as well.

• Advertisement

Who said it did??

Tally ho! What a spiffing Penalty kick old chap, Now complete silence please whilst we await the goalkeeper to take his kick out in a vacuum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement