Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kilns wrote: »
    Its exactly why I said cold bloodedly as she was probably trying to refer to other moments in that game which were heat of the moment stuff from both sides during the game but what he did was pre-meditated and not a moment a madness as he had plenty of time to consider his actions between when the free was given and the run up to the free

cold blooded, premeditated? what's with all the murder trial courtroom rhetoric?

he was looking at another AI going away from them... in slow motion right in front of his eyes. It wasn't savory but I wouldn't lose respect for one of the best footballers of the last decade over it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I wouldn't get too bothered by a couple of Dublin supporters hating on Mayo.

They are probably the same sporting fans who boo the free taker in Croke Park!

Nice to see some respect for the free takers in Killarney from both sets of supporters btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

corny wrote: »
    He didn't draw blood kilns its cool.;)

He wouldn't have been the only cheating bastard on the pitch that day either. You can be sure as **** Philly McMahon or Johnny Cooper would be doing the same thing had they thought of it.

I can't see what the big deal about it is. Maybe I am incorrect, but didn't he throw it in front of him or something rather than at him, to put him off the free rather than actually hurt him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will be interesting to see how donegal set up next week
    Ultra defensive im guessing.

Rochford v donie Buckley as well in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

robbiezero wrote: »
    I can't see what the big deal about it is. Maybe I am incorrect, but didn't he throw it in front of him or something rather than at him, to put him off the free rather than actually hurt him?

The big deal is because if it was a Mayo player who did it, they get an easy ride as they are the annual losers who people fell sorry for. If as one poster above suggested Cooper or McMahon did it (but they didnt and never have), then the whole media and supporters throughout the country would have gone nuts about it and called for huge bans for the offending player.

Its done now, Dublin won, Rock scored the free but it was lets say a very unsporting thing to do. Yes he was a great player, but that was pretty low and luckily it didnt effect the outcome of that match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The big deal is because if it was a Mayo player who did it, they get an easy ride as they are the annual losers who people fell sorry for. If as one poster above suggested Cooper or McMahon did it (but they didnt and never have), then the whole media and supporters throughout the country would have gone nuts about it and called for huge bans for the offending player.

Its done now, Dublin won, Rock scored the free but it was lets say a very unsporting thing to do. Yes he was a great player, but that a pretty low.

It was a minor piece of cheating.
    Only on the Internet is it seen as any bit of a big deal. I doubt the Dublin players even give it a second thought.
    I don't think for a minute that a Dublin player or even a Kerry player wouldn't do the same if they thought they might get away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

They are probably the same sporting fans who boo the free taker in Croke Park!

Nice to see some respect for the free takers in Killarney from both sets of supporters btw.
    Soccer fans.

For supporters of the greatest GAA team of all time, some of you lads are great at putting on the poor mouth :-)

Cooper does not get a fraction of the negative publicity that Keegan does though he's arguably a lot more devious.

robbiezero wrote: »
    It was a minor piece of cheating.
    Only on the Internet is it seen as any bit of a big deal. I doubt the Dublin players even give it a second thought.
    I don't think for a minute that a Dublin player or even a Kerry player wouldn't do the same if they thought they might get away with it.

Nope it was only mentioned by James McCarthy straight after the final whistle. It was only minor because it didnt effect Rock

But a Dublin or Kerry player didnt do it nor ever had, Keegan did it. It was a sh!tty thing to do, so lets just move on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

'hating on' - are we all Americanised now even on the GAA threads? :D

As a Dublin supporter I do not view Mayo as a threat so how could you hate them!
    You only hate the teams that are real competition/rivals, to me Mayo are not that.

Anyway I am going to stick with my 'hang sambos' for Croke park none of this 'Peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich' stuff for me - thanks.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

'hating on' - are we all Americanised now even on the GAA threads? :D

As a Dublin supporter I do not view Mayo as a threat so how could you hate them!
    You only hate the teams that are real competition/rivals, to me Mayo are not that.

Anyway I am going to stick with my 'hang sambos' for Croke park none of this 'Peanut butter, banana and bacon sandwich' stuff for me - thanks.

Stick to the coddle and leave the hang samwiches for those of us who'll eat them out of the boot of the car on the journey up

For supporters of the greatest GAA team of all time, some of you lads are great at putting on the poor mouth :-)

Cooper does not get a fraction of the negative publicity that Keegan does though he's arguably a lot more devious.

Ah he does it is mentioned by the analysts/commentators 'Cooper plays on the edge etc'
    It was the same stuff that was said of Ricey for Tyrone.
    Dublin were crying out of a devious/cute hoor player for years it was part of the reason why they were a deckchair team in the the 00's - always liable to fold and collapse.

Keegan got hyped up because he was one of the few decent players Mayo had at the time - Mcloughlin - Andy Moran, A O'S and C O'C were the others.

Dublin have them all over the pitch and even on the bench!
    So where does a negative publicity PR person start? 'Finances' is the only muck that can be found to sully this team of the ages.
    And is really scraping at the barrel.
    Plus the fact that the Dublin fellas seem like nice lads, how could be mean to them? ;)
    Jack Flash even went to Africa and Philly has his foundation.
    They will run out of marble when they start building statues to all these lads in O'Connell street.

It must break anti-Dublin's peoples hearts. They must have sleepless nights thinking - 'how do you sully greatness and history makers?'
    A team who will be talked about long after children reach old age.

Nope it was only mentioned by James McCarthy straight after the final whistle. It was only minor because it didnt effect Rock

But a Dublin or Kerry player didnt do it nor ever had, Keegan did it. It was a sh!tty thing to do, so lets just move on

I'd argue that dragging to the ground every single Mayo defender before the following kickout was a worse piece of cheating and much more cynical. Keegan's was spur of the moment, the Dublin actions were co-ordinated and probably came as an order from Gavin.

I'd argue that dragging to the ground every single Mayo defender before the following kickout was a worse piece of cheating and much more cynical. Keegan's was spur of the moment, the Dublin actions were co-ordinated and probably came as an order from Gavin.

Ah right so a Mayo player never dragged a player to the ground during a game? :rolleyes:

How would you define spur of the moment, I would say spur of the moment is an instant thing not something you have about 2 minutes to consider, as i said accept it was a sh!tty thing to do and move on. Dublin rightly won Mayo lost, everyone lives to fight another day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Groups going as expected. Dublin Tyrone Kerry Donegal. Pretty much over after game 1. Zzzzzzzzz

The one team this year that could turn Dublin over is Donegal.

My feeling is if Dublin face Donegal in the semi final Donegal could take them but in the final Dublin would win it, just a feeling.

I think despite Kerry putting up a decent score I think Dublin would tear the Kerry defense apart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

The one team this year that could turn Dublin over is Donegal.

My feeling is if Dublin face Donegal in the semi final Donegal could take them but in the final Dublin would win it, just a feeling.

I think despite Kerry putting up a decent score I think Dublin would tear the Kerry defense apart

I think Kerry will hammer donegal

C__MC wrote: »

I think the opposite to be honest.
    That Donegal forward line could run rings of Kerry around the Kingdom's backs
    Tempted to go to it as a neutral, what sort of attendance would it be with the Mayo v Meath game with it?
    That Meath game looks like it will have a bit of bite in it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I think the opposite to be honest.
    That Donegal forward line could run rings of Kerry around the Kingdom's backs
    Tempted to go to it as a neutral, what sort of attendance would it be with the Mayo v Meath game with it?
    That Meath game looks like it will have a bit of bite in it as well.

45k max

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People don't like Mayo for a couple of reasons, one is some dirty play but loads of teams are at that.
    The bigger reason is the way they go on like a team that has been All-Ireland champions numerous times.
    It's a kind of, we are Mayo and we know more about football than everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Groups going as expected. Dublin Tyrone Kerry Donegal. Pretty much over after game 1. Zzzzzzzzz

Still maintain Cork can have a say in it. Winner take-all v Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I thought Secret Agent Clarke kicking the ball over the touchline when he had two free men on the other side of the pitch was the best bit of cheating in the game that day:D:D:D.

Unfortunately, given the way he was kicking the ball to Kerrymen on Saturday, they seem to have taken him off the Dublin roster of secret agents.

Seriously, Mayo haven't been good enough to win an All-Ireland. O'Connor will always miss the free to win the game, just as Clarke will always have a kickout meltdown. One of the things that Gilroy contributed to Dublin was to get rid of that weak mentality from some players, and get rid of the players who couldn't shed the weak mentality. Gavin built on that to create the GOAT.

eagle eye wrote: »
    People don't like Mayo for a couple of reasons, one is some dirty play but loads of teams are at that.
    The bigger reason is the way they go on like a team that has been All-Ireland champions numerous times.
    It's a kind of, we are Mayo and we know more about football than everybody else.

They are a team that had numerous chances and blew it when it came to the crunch.
    That cannot be just 'hard luck'.
    The Mayo sidelines have a lot to answer for over the years.
    I used to admire thier resilience at getting to the latter stages repeatedly after being written off.
    But then an element associated with Mayo started getting whingey and whiny. Making excuses - like they were owed and 'due' an AI and owed one.
    That got annoying fast.
    Everyone and everything else was at fault except them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

You're probably just an immature kid looking for attention,who wasn't hugged enough as a child, but anyway:

A cracking game between Donegal and Meath. Neck and neck until the last 5 mins.

Tyrone and Roscommon another very even game, with Roscommon spurring great goal chances. Game could have gone either way.

Cork tested Dublin in a way we have not seen in a long time. First half was a great watch. Yes, Dublin typically dominated in the second half but still great to see Cork score 1-17 vs Dublin (who could've had more goals but for Cluxton).

Kerry may run away with their group but the fight for 2nd will be interesting and I'm sure we'll see some twists and turns along the way.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I thought Secret Agent Clarke kicking the ball over the touchline when he had two free men on the other side of the pitch was the best bit of cheating in the game that day:D:D:D.

Unfortunately, given the way he was kicking the ball to Kerrymen on Saturday, they seem to have taken him off the Dublin roster of secret agents.

Seriously, Mayo haven't been good enough to win an All-Ireland. O'Connor will always miss the free to win the game, just as Clarke will always have a kickout meltdown. One of the things that Gilroy contributed to Dublin was to get rid of that weak mentality from some players, and get rid of the players who couldn't shed the weak mentality. Gavin built on that to create the GOAT.

Hard to win against the most financially doped team in GAA history :)

Anyways, back to the championship, still some interesting games left in the Super8s. Donegal v Kerry is a stand out. Every game is a must win in the Super 8s at this stage. But Kerry look to be safe.

They are a team that had numerous chances and blew it when it came to the crunch.
    That cannot be just 'hard luck'.
    The Mayo sidelines have a lot to answer for over the years.
    I used to admire thier resilience at getting to the latter stages repeatedly after being written off.
    But then an element associated with Mayo started getting whingey and whiny. Making excuses - like they were owed and 'due' an AI and owed one.
    That got annoying fast.
    Everyone and everything else was at fault except them.

Obsessed with Mayo much? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What a great weekend, we have watched the return of Cork to the top table after a long time wandering the desert wilderness. A more experieinced team like Mayo or Kerry would have beaten Dublin on Saturday, had Kerry got Dublin in Killarney yesterday they would have absolutely humiliated them down there. All sorts of panic bells have set in Dublin with the immediate recall of Diarmuid Connolly after Cork exposed them. Cork and Tyrone will be a great clash.

I would expect Kerry to hammer Donegal next weekend and looks like they are building a great squad and the change of management has paid dividends for sure. If Kerry beats Donegal then I can see Mayo edge them in Castlebar the week later and setup another crack at Dublin for them. I still think it will be the glamour fixture of Dublin v Kerry for the All-Ireland and you cannot compete with youth, skill and pure breeding. millions and bought out referees will only take you so far but at the end of the day Kerry are Kerry and as they learned in 1982 the five in a row will be one bridge too far. There is new kids on the block and as we saw in the 28c heat of Killarney it is the men from the Kingdom who will reign supreme.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

C__MC wrote:

Kerry looked very good yesterday.

Both got good scores up. Mayo never got their game going. As good as kerry were, Mayo were very flat. I don't just mean they lost 3 or 4 midfielders.

Harrison, Boyle, Keegan, Barrett, Higgins, had poor games yesterday. It's too simple to blame midfield. The halfback line went missing or on man marking duty only.

I had to check to see if Boyle was on the pitch yesterday, he's usually wound up.

The kick out strategy was predicted by us boards posters so it was obvious to Kerrymen.

The weakness of a keeper in such a fundamental part of the game cant be brushed over. It is possible for Clarke to have a bad game and it be his fault.

But it wasn't all the keepers fault. One of Clarke's best skills is his reliability under the highball, but nobody talks about the Mayo fullback line being dodgy under the high ball, it's always the keepers fault and possibly Cafferkey, but all the other backs that go missing, playing like a half forward or putting more emphasis on making one player than the teams performance, they get a free ride.

Mayo should be able to find a way to compensate for Clarke's kickouts.

However Donegal have a fullback and a keeper with an excellent kickout.

They have lads that get stuck in and will flood the space that the Mayo lads were sluggish in yesterday.

We didn't see the usual Mayo hunger, the bit that separates them from the pack. Kerry will be aware of this too.

Donegal will have had a good look at Kerry by match day.

It's worth offering again, that Donegal looked a little worried at 60 minutes, yet still built up a big scoring difference.

Kerry never looked in trouble yet they just pipped Donegal on scoring difference with the last kick of the game.

Donegal looked dangerous when needed yesterday.

I certainly don't think either will be hammered, but the game might not be life or death either as it's looking like Kerry/Donegal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I'd argue that dragging to the ground every single Mayo defender before the following kickout was a worse piece of cheating and much more cynical.

I keep telling myself not to rise to the bait, and yet, here I am.

That. Did. Not. Happen. It is some kind of revisionist dream conjured up to distract from the fact that Clarke couldn't even keep his kickout on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,254 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hard to win against the most financially doped team in GAA history :)

Anyways, back to the championship, still some interesting games left in the Super8s. Donegal v Kerry is a stand out. Every game is a must win in the Super 8s at this stage. But Kerry look to be safe.

They taught Mayo/Kerry would be a cracker last weekend. It was a damp squid. I think the rest of the games were more competitive. Meath/ Mayo would be my pick next weekend.

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement