Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

irishgeo wrote: »
    what was up for discussion?

Was meant to be the new vote for the Connaught Council delegates but think that had been binned anyway due to an objection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

km79 wrote: »
    Ah no I know it’s not personal
    I just find it the single most frustrating aspect of Horans tenure
    He went straight back to Hennelly as soon as he took over
    Ignoring all that went on on the intervening years
    Was then forced to drop him when the inevitable happened against Roscommon

So then after Dublin game I said to myself that’s it. Even if Clarke stays on Horan HAS to at least try another keeper in FBD and maybe league
    But no
    Here we are again
    A year further on and not a sign of anyone else gaining any bit of experience at all
    He is a stubborn stubborn man

He also has defo taken a bizarre set on Eoin O D
    But that’s a seperate rant :D

At least he sent that young Westport lad out on loan to Roscommon, hopefully he'll get some game time in the lower leagues ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Oi you lot !

Get that sneachta cleared by Saturday ya hear.

Jeeves & the Bentley can't be dealing with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

We seem to be short a few selectors judging by the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oi you lot !

We still advise to bring your own, as usual! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

We seem to be short a few selectors judging by the programme.

You would have to ask the question why .......do they feel their voices are not being listened to........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭muddle84

Oi you lot !

But surely, the sneachta is the only chance we have of stopping you lot.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If a monsoon and a hailstorm couldn't in previous years, I wouldn't be putting my faith in a wee bit of the white stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I thought Horan's comments at the end of the game were interesting. Muttered something along the lines that Castlebar is our home ground and we are trying to make it a hard place for visiting teams to come to. Expect a complete siege mentality on Saturday evening and nothing easy for the Dubs. I can see some regulars being back and a cracker of a game in store. Will it be enough to win, maybe not but what a game in prospect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I thought Horan's comments at the end of the game were interesting. Muttered something along the lines that Castlebar is our home ground and we are trying to make it a hard place for visiting teams to come to. Expect a complete siege mentality on Saturday evening and nothing easy for the Dubs. I can see some regulars being back and a cracker of a game in store. Will it be enough to win, maybe not but what a game in prospect

It’s a must win game imo
    We just have to beat them for so many reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If a monsoon and a hailstorm couldn't in previous years, I wouldn't be putting my faith in a wee bit of the white stuff

Praying for another dose of fog here.

If a monsoon and a hailstorm couldn't in previous years, I wouldn't be putting my faith in a wee bit of the white stuff.

Yeah but this year is different though.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Sure it'll suit the Dubs fine, aren't ye well accustomed to the white stuff ;)

Nah that Louth your thinking off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

We should be trying to improve the record in McHale Park but I'm not optimistic about Saturday tbh. Could be a long night for us if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Was just over in the Mayo forum and there is a debate about who actually owns MacHale Park. Is it Castlebar Mitchels that own the land? Who owns the stadium buildings itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

recyclebin wrote: »
    Was just over in the Mayo forum and there is a debate about who actually owns MacHale Park. Is it Castlebar Mitchels that own the land? Who owns the stadium buildings itself?

AFAIK Mayo GAA own MacHale Park (at least once the loan is repaid) and the small pitch behind the Albany end.

However, I think Mitchels get all the takings from the shop which is a crazy arrangement. The county board must lose out on 10s of thousands every year from that.

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    AFAIK Mayo GAA own MacHale Park (at least once the loan is repaid) and the small pitch behind the Albany end.

However, I think Mitchels get all the takings from the shop which is a crazy arrangement. The county board must lose out on 10s of thousands every year from that.

mayo gaa own it in bought for 1.5m on a 50yr lease.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/mayos-mchale-park-set-for-upgrade-216830.html

might be a long wait for the all seater bit.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

It is an all seater

boosabum wrote: »
    It is an all seater

Give over. Does your sideline ticket have a seat number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

It is an all seater

It is an all seater. If you count concrete benches as seats!

• Advertisement

mayo gaa own it in bought for 1.5m on a 50yr lease.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/mayos-mchale-park-set-for-upgrade-216830.html

might be a long wait for the all seater bit.:D

A lease isn't ownership though or is it? I always thought Mitchells maintained ownership but leased it to the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Give over. Does your sideline ticket have a seat number?

Can you identify the part of the stadium that has terraces and barriers for standing similar to hill 16 in croke park or semple ?

because there is no seat number assigned does not mean one cannot sit on the concrete seat

muddle84 wrote: »
    A lease isn't ownership though or is it? I always thought Mitchells maintained ownership but leased it to the county board.

Mayo GAA don't own it, they've a 50 year lease on it, until 2055.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Sounds like the same kind of deal the FAI have with the Aviva stadium if it's just a lease. Means they will be paying rent for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

It's seem strange for a Club team to play in a big stadium like Mchale. A County stadium should be for County only. Why did Mayo not build there own stadium instead of sharing?
    Although a few Counties share with Clubs, Tyrone and Omagh. Fermanagh Enniskillen Gaels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

John Prenty brought in a rule a few years ago that clubs weren't allowed to play in their home ground for Connacht club championships games and instead nominate another ground.

Castlebar Mitchels picked MacHale Park as they claim only the pitch at the back of the stadium is theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

rrs wrote: »
    It's seem strange for a Club team to play in a big stadium like Mchale. A County stadium should be for County only. Why did Mayo not build there own stadium instead of sharing?
    Although a few Counties share with Clubs, Tyrone and Omagh. Fermanagh Enniskillen Gaels.

I’d say if you were to look at it most County grounds are shared with Club teams.
    There will be some exceptions and it probably makes more sense to share. Though some counties will tell you their home ground is one they never actually play at.

Of the local ones. Cavan and Meath don't. Don't think Longford do either.
    Doesn't make sense trying to maintain a County ground surface, if being used all the time m

Doesn't make sense trying to maintain a County ground surface, if being used all the time m

Don’t think Glennon brothers Pearse Park is open these days, so not sure where Longford play. The surface at McHale has been an issue for a while, but I’m not sure that a separate county ground is necessary.

Pearse Park is open. Longford played Dublin there in the O Byrne Cup a few weeks ago. Longford beat Louth there in first round of League. It wasn't closed. It was closed before to fix stand.

Longford Slashers would be main club in Longford Town. They have their own club grounds. As should every club, instead of sharing.

• Advertisement

Can you identify the part of the stadium that has terraces and barriers for standing similar to hill 16 in croke park or semple ?

because there is no seat number assigned does not mean one cannot sit on the concrete seat

But why say convert to all seater if it was already all seater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

It doesn't say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Woops...can see how you got your name:pac::pac:

Pearse Park is open. Longford played Dublin there in the O Byrne Cup a few weeks ago. Longford beat Louth there in first round of League. It wasn't closed. It was closed before to fix stand.

Longford Slashers would be main club in Longford Town. They have their own club grounds. As should every club, instead of sharing.

Why though?

Because its the County Ground and should be respected. Its also an advantage for club teame to play there all the time, same way as it is for Dublin playing in Croke Park.

You don't see Bohemians playing in the Aviva as their home pitch. Or Rugby Clubs in Belfast playing in Kingspan stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Because its the County Ground and should be respected. Its also an advantage for club teame to play there all the time, same way as it is for Dublin playing in Croke Park.

You don't see Bohemians playing in the Aviva as their home pitch. Or Rugby Clubs in Belfast playing in Kingspan stadium.

Castlebar Mitchels don't play in MacHale Park any more than other Mayo clubs. They have another pitch that's used for their "home" games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I was under the impression that most county grounds had historically been used by a club, but I might have pulled that idea out of my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Some counties have dedicated grounds and some don't. What's the issue

Donegal share fixtures between Letterkenny, Ballyshannon and Ballbofey; all club grounds. I'm sure it's a great source of income for clubs.

Then you have the likes of Markievicz park and Hyde park lying idle most of the year. What's the point in that

The issue is the playing surface wouldn't be great as I Said above. Enniskillen and Omagh are examples. Omagh going to be closed for the rest of the year,relaying the pitch..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I know I've said this a few times here, but for those who don't know... Everytime I drive by McHale Park and see the sky blue coloured seats I go ****ing demented.

It really grates me.

Rant not over.

I know I've said this a few times here, but for those who don't know... Everytime I drive by McHale Park and see the sky blue coloured seats I go ****ing demented.

It really grates me.

Rant not over.

Just think about the poles obstructing the view and at least you won't be fully focused on the seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Blackjack wrote: »
    I’d say if you were to look at it most County grounds are shared with Club teams.
    There will be some exceptions and it probably makes more sense to share. Though some counties will tell you their home ground is one they never actually play at.

:confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

#
    What they menat was upgrade the concrete 'seating' that previously was there though was often used as terracing, though was neither of the two really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PARlance wrote: »
    Just think about the poles obstructing the view and at least you won't be fully focused on the seats.

What's the forecast for Saturday night lads and I don't mean on pitch?:D

Might sit in my favoured spot on the Mac Hale road side to prevent those dastardly poles obstructing my 20 20 vision!

It would be nice to have a team to pore over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

PARlance wrote: »

Great spot to let the kids play though.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    What's the forecast for Saturday night lads and I don't mean on pitch?:D

Might sit in my favoured spot on the Mac Hale road side to prevent those dastardly poles obstructing my 20 20 vision!

It would be nice to have a team to pore over.

rain and a brisk westerly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

rain and a brisk westerly wind.

We wouldn't have it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Padraig O'Hora - Ballina Stephenites
    3. Oisin Mullin - Kilmaine
    4. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    5. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore (C)
    9. Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    10. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
    11. Ryan O'Donoghue - Belmullet
    12. Jordan Flynn - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. James Carr - Ardagh
    15. James Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭HBC08

Very interesting team.
    He seems to be rotating the captaincy again this year for the league.
    If we can keep with dublin and give them a good game with this team that will be a big positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

It must be lucky dip for captain these days.

Wonder what fu1ck up hennelly will do this time around

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement