Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Stoner wrote: »
    Hall, Boland etc are getting some runs out aren't they?

Hall wasn't even starting for Breaffy last year, he was one of the first of that group to get a chance at Senior but it'd be a long way away at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    It's only 3 years since we won the U21 all Ireland. 4 years after we won the 2006 title a lot of the players were losing to Sligo and Longford at senior level. So I think you need to give a bit more time.

I've no doubt Eoin O'Donoghue will be starting for us soon. Just unfortunate for him that he's competing with the likes of Barrett and Higgins.

True point.

There may be a few retirements after this year so maybe they'll get more chance to shine next year.

Anyhow on the team next week. Is it possible we could see basically the same team as the 2017 final with Fionn McDonagh maybe for Parsons, and a host of positional changes?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jr86 wrote:
    I recall Cork hammered Kerry in under 21 2011 and a huge amount of that Kerry team won a senior AI in 2014. Cork won 4 or 5 munster under 21 in a row and did nothing at senior

The Dublin team in 2011 had three U21s from 2010, and a few more joined them later on like Cooper and Rock.

Theres two starters on on Dublin team that lost to Mayo that day on their 3rd year with the seniors and theres 3 more on the panel.

TBH I think there is not enough emphasis placed on the transition, there might have been 3 sets of backroom staff on the senior team since. But Donegal, Galway, Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone are all bringing them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Stoner wrote: »
    The Dublin team in 2011 had three U21s from 2010, and a few more joined them later on like Cooper and Rock.

Theres two starters on on Dublin team that lost to Mayo that day on their 3rd year with the seniors and theres 3 more on the panel.

TBH I think there is not enough emphasis placed on the transition, there might have been 3 sets of backroom staff on the senior team since. But Donegal, Galway, Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone are all bringing them through.

It probably helps in bringing lads through if their manager at minor or U21 moves up to manage the seniors as has happened with Donegal and Kerry. At the time I though Mayo might have went with Solan rather than Horan, but I could see the thinking on Horan in giving him a final push with the team he had built.

The women beat Donegal. Nearly threw away a 10 point lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Paddy Heneghan out and Mark Tighe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

PARlance wrote:
    The women beat Donegal. Nearly threw away a 10 point lead.

In the finest tradition of Mayo football! Fair play though

Brilliant goal by Paul Walsh.

Playing very well thus far.

Fantastic score from Dylan Thornton.

Lads playing very well.

Outstanding defensive shoulder on shoulder tackle by Alfie Morrison.

Ethan Henry nailed a 45 and the second goal came from a great effort that rebounded off the left post.

Both sets of forwards look very dangerous.Our lads in particular seem to have the beating of their counterparts.Need to keep the wides down and maintain the great high fielding.

Fionn Murray is a very good player.

• Advertisement

Excellent first half

Mayo 2-8

Dublin 0-8

Playing against the wind in the second half.

Mylett,Walsh,Irwin and Thornton all have the beating of their men.

Brilliant goal by Ethan Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Too many subs too early....

Dublin putting the squeeze on now.

Wonderful save by Luke Jennings.

Badly in need of a score.

Wonderful goal by Ruairi Keane.

Yikes a point down

Two quick Dublin goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

This match is bat **** crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

This might be the craziest half of football I've ever seen

All square.

A wonderful contest.

• Advertisement

Some game just following the twitter updates! Must be end to end

Morrin bags a goal!!

Wonderful win.

Rode our luck in a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭lillielad

What a game that was, congrats guys. Keeper looks class same with 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Great win. Didn't think it was possible to top the Connacht final for excitement but they made a decent attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

That match was utter mayhem. Definately rode our luck at time but also some great last ditch defending. Great response to conceding the 2 quick goal. Super win!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    A wonderful contest.

I thought the ref let a lot go, the Mayo no 6 was swinging out of his man after the second Mayp goal, two minutes later a Dublin player got away with the same thing.

He was strict on steps and free taking .

He handled it more like a senior game, but was ok overall. He should have pulled lads up more, but this was one of those games that "letting it flow" worked

Good result for Mayo. I saw no young rory O Carroll in blue today, but I liked the look of some of the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Pj kilgallan (not certain of spelling) that played for mayo in the eighties did he work for tg4 after..

thesultan wrote: »
    Pj kilgallan (not certain of spelling) that played for mayo in the eighties did he work for tg4 after..

TJ Kilgallon was a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

seligehgit wrote: »
    TJ Kilgallon was a teacher.
    Very good player .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement