Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

It s a game run by central administration, not the Connacht council, Prenty has nothing to do with it.

Connacht Council are in charge, according to the article put up a few posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It s a game run by central administration, not the Connacht council, Prenty has nothing to do with it.

Oh he has, the game is under the jurisdiction of Connacht Council,id really love some journalist ask him why they hadnt some sort of contingency plan in place

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Connacht Council are in charge, according to the article put up a few posts back.

Ok that's interesting.

Because a few weeks back when the Kerry v Mayo game had a similar situation with reduced capacity and general admission the Kerry PRO was on the radio and she said that it was not for Kerry or Munster to make the decisions.

So I assumed the same would be the case for this QF game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Ok that's interesting.

Because a few weeks back when the Kerry v Mayo game had a similar situation with reduced capacity and general admission the Kerry PRO was on the radio and she said that it was not for Kerry or Munster to make the decisions.

So I assumed the same would be the case for this QF game.
    So why is prenty in croke park then meeting officials?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

In this day and age there should be assigned seating in the stand where you can select your seat for any big games. Then the rest of the tickets can be general admission. The GAA heads only care about Croke park. The super 8 matches in killarney and castlebar prove this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

recyclebin wrote:
    In this day and age there should be assigned seating in the stand where you can select your seat for any big games. Then the rest of the tickets can be general admission. The GAA heads only care about Croke park. The super 8 matches in killarney and castlebar prove this.

They tried that in McHale park a while back and there was pandemonium as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

recyclebin wrote: »

Proved what exactly and how?

Not too bad on here but on the Mayo facebook pages there is an unbelievable amount of ill informed bs being posted

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

They tried that in McHale park a while back and there was pandemonium as far as I remember.

Because thick ignorant people refused to take their own seats and stewards didn't enforce it
    They should have persisted with it
    Eventually people would get used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

So lads, has this game been sold out already? Been trying since wednesday for a ticket and no luck in either shops or online.

They are individual seats so shouldn't be that difficult, are they not numbered? never paid much heed before

As KM says. It was not the seat numbers that were the problem. It was some bull thick supporters and poor planning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭muddle84

As KM says. It was not the seat numbers that were the problem. It was some bull thick supporters and poor planning

It was planning, not bull thick supporters. In the run up to that game there had been no notification to season ticket holders that the central 4 sections in the stand were purchased allocated tickets only. Season ticket holders had got notification that stand was first come first serve. We were in our seats for about half an hour before the notification came out over the PA that the middle sections were allocated purchased tickets only, not season tickets. Then there was no stewards checking tickets for those seats either. It was a farce!

muddle84 wrote:
    It was planning, not bull thick supporters. In the run up to that game there had been no notification to season ticket holders that the central 4 sections in the stand were purchased allocated tickets only. Season ticket holders had got notification that stand was first come first serve. We were in our seats for about half an hour before the notification came out over the PA that the middle sections were allocated purchased tickets only, not season tickets. Then there was no stewards checking tickets for those seats either. It was a farce!

I take your point. But there were certainly some Bull thick' supporters in the mix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

muddle84 wrote: »

Yeah, the problem was that the stewards were not made aware of it that day. I recall that it was all kicking off just as I came in and a steward explaining they had only been informed that a section was reserved seating. I do no think reserving a certain section of the stand works that well to be honest. Just assign all tickets to a seat. But then I guess you would have guys with a seat low down in the stand complaining......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It wouldn't take a genius to put seat selection on the ticket website. Ticketmaster have it for other sports and events. You buy your tickets early, you get the best seats.

recyclebin wrote: »
    It wouldn't take a genius to put seat selection on the ticket website. Ticketmaster have it for other sports and events. You buy your tickets early, you get the best seats.

But it seems the association has gone down the route of General Admission across the board for the quarter final group games, with the exception of games at CP.

There must be some thinking behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Squatman

Can we get back to talking about donegal beating us, and not about where were gunna watch it from!!! (In front of tv by the way) :)

Squatman wrote: »
    Can we get back to talking about donegal beating us, and not about where were gunna watch it from!!! (In front of tv by the way) :)

We are going to win by 2 points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

We could do with some rumours .

I hear Clarke has got some new magic boots . They bamboozle Donegal People apparently .

blinding wrote: »
    We could do with some rumours .

I hear Clarke has got some new magic boots . They bamboozle Donegal People apparently .
    I heard he is going playing midfield and Hennelly is going to kick all the kickouts to him
    He will then try and win a free for Hennelly to take
    Clarke will step in to goals for the Donegal attack then and handover to Hennelly for the kickouts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

km79 wrote: »
    I heard he is going playing midfield and Hennelly is going to kick all the kickouts to him
    He will then try and win a free for Hennelly to take
    Clarke will step in to goals for the Donegal attack then and handover to Hennelly for the kickouts
    With such variety available the Kick Outs have to Improve .

Would there be anything to be said for another Goal Keeper ?;)

• Advertisement

How are the minors fixed v Dublin today ?

For all their dominance at senior level Dublin have not done much at the lower grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can we get back to talking about our future generation?:)

It's not all about the seniors.

Best of luck to the minors today,no idea how good an outfit the Dubs have but if our lads put a similar performance to that of the Connacht final against a very good Galway team that lest we forget it are still in the mix we'll give them a right good run for their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Speaking of future generation it seems unlikely we'll see any of the minor 13/under 21 16 team starting next week (DOC injured in fairness). 3 years after winning the under 21. Its disappointing enough how none of them have really taken to senior level bar Diarmuid, who was a senior at the time anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

How are the minors fixed v Dublin today ?

For all their dominance at senior level Dublin have not done much at the lower grades.

Bet them by a point or 2 earlier in the year in a friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

jr86 wrote: »
    Speaking of future generation it seems unlikely we'll see any of the minor 13/under 21 16 team starting next week (DOC injured in fairness). 3 years after winning the under 21. Its disappointing enough how none of them have really taken to senior level bar Diarmuid, who was a senior at the time anyway
    Ruane is injured in fairness - he would be a definite starter. Stephen Coen will probably play some part. Loftus doesn't seem to be in favour, not aggresive enough for top level.
    Carr was part of that team when not injured?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hall, Boland etc are getting some runs out aren't they?

However it's not a good return. The talk about Hall being ready or not was alarming considering that they beat a Dublin team with including the following

Eoin Murchan second season with seniors
    Cillian O'Shea in and out if the panel
    Colm Basquel in and out if the panel
    Brian Howard third season with seniors
    Con O'Callaghan third season with seniors.

They'll never be ready if they don't play

The Galway U21 team that did well the next year have fed the seniors too.

Realistically considering the age profile of the Mayo squad you'd expect 2 - 4 starters and some on the bench, say 6 in total. You could name the 6 or so but none are starting.

Forgot about Ruane. He seems to be the only one outside DOC who has really made a name for himself at senior to date. Yes Carr has had a good season but would need to judge him over a couple of seasons I think. Loftus looked great at times in 2017 but has completely faded since

Boland and Coen are solid enough but not in the ha'penny place with the class of 2006

Stoner wrote: »
    Hall, Boland etc are getting some runs out aren't they?

However it's not a good return. The talk about Hall being ready or not was alarming considering that they beat a Dublin team with including the following

Eoin Murchan second season with seniors
    Cillian O’Shea in and out if the panel
    Colm Basquel in and out if the panel
    Brian Howard third season with seniors
    Con O’Callaghan third season with seniors.

They'll never be ready if they don't play

The Galway U21 team that did well the next year have fed the seniors too.

Realistically considering the age profile of the Mayo squad you'd expect 2 - 4 starters and some on the bench, say 6 in total. You could name the 6 or so but none are starting.

I recall Cork hammered Kerry in under 21 2011 and a huge amount of that Kerry team won a senior AI in 2014. Cork won 4 or 5 munster under 21 in a row and did nothing at senior

We probably read into underage wins a bit too much. Guys peak at completely different stages and may well shine better at senior level than at underage, with better coaching, structures etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think that's a bit unfair. I suppose it depends on the definition of "taken to" but I think there has been a good return and given that we've had one of our best senior teams during that time so breaking in was always going to be hard.

Coen, mightn't be a major star but certainly not out of place at Senior level for years now.
    Ruane, badly hampered by injuries since 2016 but a major breakthrough this year and will be back.
    Boland, I'm a big fan.
    Carr, looks like he'll be around for a while.
    Loftus, I would say he hasn't taken to it as may have been hoped/expected.
    Very hard for Plunkett and O'Donoghue to break into that backline but they're there abouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Forgot about Ruane. He seems to be the only one outside DOC who has really made a name for himself at senior to date. Yes Carr has had a good season but would need to judge him over a couple of seasons I think. Loftus looked great at times in 2017 but has completely faded since

Boland and Coen are solid enough but not in the ha'penny place with the class of 2006

It's only 3 years since we won the U21 all Ireland. 4 years after we won the 2006 title a lot of the players were losing to Sligo and Longford at senior level. So I think you need to give a bit more time.

I've no doubt Eoin O'Donoghue will be starting for us soon. Just unfortunate for him that he's competing with the likes of Barrett and Higgins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement