Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭spakman

seligehgit wrote: »
    TJ Kilgallon was a teacher.

Married to Eileen Magner, the RTE North-West correspondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

blinding wrote: »
    Very good player .

Himself and Willie Joe were the perfect midfield double act

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

He was a better all round player than Willie Joe .

Now Willie Joe was Magic fielding the ball from the sky . Willie Joe would have a ‘ Field Day ‘ with the Mark these days .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Cartman78

blinding wrote: »
    He was a better all round player than Willie Joe .

Now Willie Joe was Magic fielding the ball from the sky . Willie Joe would have a ‘ Field Day ‘ with the Mark these days .:D

"Willie Joe - High and Low"

Have a vague memory of being in Croke Park for a AI Semi Final against Dublin in the mid 80s....it was lashing rain and TJ Kilgallon scored a last minute point to draw the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Any chance of more tickets going on sale this week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

seligehgit wrote:
    TJ Kilgallon was a teacher.

Still is, and a damn good teacher too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Cartman78 wrote: »

Have a vague memory of being in Croke Park for a AI Semi Final against Dublin in the mid 80s....it was lashing rain and TJ Kilgallon scored a last minute point to draw the game

1985, i always thought it was Billy Fitzpatrick who got the equaliser? Think he was 41 when he came on as a sub

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Might be the plan alright, good idea to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Any update on injured players?

• Advertisement

What was the song? "So come on Willie Joe and Kilgallon from Mayo"

Might be the plan alright, good idea to be fair

It could be an occasion for the ages ...........
    I think we are going to win
    I am basing this on nothing not blind optimism and a belief that is a kick in a lot of lads yet
    Look at Colm Boyle the last few games for instance
    If a few more can stand up and be counted like him we are in business
    UP MAYO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Pineapple1 wrote: »

Damn near put the fat in the fire for Donegal in the Semi-Final 1992 with a goal chance.
    Nice lad T.J. Taught for years in Summerhill College Sligo along with Peter Ford captain of that 92 team.
    He had a bit of a health scare a few years ago, but luckily Mairtin Carney, far as I recall, recognised the symptoms early and all is well and good with him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya, first time in Croke Park for me. And then the Padraig Brogan thunderbolt in the replay. Some goal.
    was reading recently about the John Finn broken jaw. And still it's not known who did it?

Ya, first time in Croke Park for me. And then the Padraig Brogan thunderbolt in the replay. Some goal.
    was reading recently about the John Finn broken jaw. And still it's not known who did it?

No and he has never said either

km79 wrote: »
    It could be an occasion for the ages ...........
    I think we are going to win
    I am basing this on nothing not blind optimism and a belief that is a kick in a lot of lads yet
    Look at Colm Boyle the last few games for instance
    If a few more can stand up and be counted like him we are in business
    UP MAYO

Me too :pac: and i refuse to let any reality interfere with this feeling for the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Think we'll see a much more spirited performance this weekend.

especially if he goes with all the experienced lads, which I reckon he will. they obviously still have the fire in their belly to win Sam, and I think they deserve the opportunity to do that.

Now whether it'll be good enough to beat Donegal I don't know

they're being made out to be a real force, but I think that's more to do with creating a narrative that Dublin can be beaten than anything else

As ever we'll get the answer this weekend. It'd be very disappointing to get another performance like the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Anyone here worried about the Stephen Rochford affect this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

I feel little bit more optimistic than I did after the Meath match. Don't know why because it's not as though a whole lot has changed exactly. But I'm looking forward to the game and seeing who lines out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

Carol25 wrote: »

It's definitely a concern, but there's isn't much we can do about it at this stage. Can't get hung up on what Stephen Rochford will or won't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Same here.
    Noel Durkin scored a goal in the first minute, I can still remember the roar.
    Massive controversy in the aftermath about the broken jaw etc.

I also remember Big Tom Byrne (78 minor) coming on late in the second half and nearly pulling the head off a Dublin defender!

McStay had half a chance to win it at the death but fumbled the pass.

I didn't get to the replay and the policy at the time was not to show live coverage on telly.

Crazy stuff as Kerry and Monaghan drew in the other semi final.

I'd be pretty sure Donegal will have a strategy to exploit our weaknesses at kickouts at any rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would be worried about Donegal in any case. Having Rochford there with them, even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Cartman78

1985, i always thought it was Billy Fitzpatrick who got the equaliser? Think he was 41 when he came on as a sub

Possibly...it's a very vague memory at this stage tbh :-)

Did Kilgallon hit the crossbar or something late on (?)...I may be mis-remembering and mixing up a number of different games

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

jr86 wrote: »
    Think we'll see a much more spirited performance this weekend.

especially if he goes with all the experienced lads, which I reckon he will. they obviously still have the fire in their belly to win Sam, and I think they deserve the opportunity to do that.

Now whether it'll be good enough to beat Donegal I don't know

they're being made out to be a real force, but I think that's more to do with creating a narrative that Dublin can be beaten than anything else

As ever we'll get the answer this weekend. It'd be very disappointing to get another performance like the last few weeks
    Nail on the head here. As a Donegal man myself I'm glad to see the team getting praise, but the pundits writing you off so definitively are absurd. We've a lot of firepower up front, but as the game against Meath showed - and at times against Kerry - direct runners charging down the middle of the field can cause us serious bothers. I've noticed the pundits have gone a bit more quiet on us of late, especially since Kerry beat ye. They almost seem relieved that they can big Kerry up now instead of us... It's all propaganda.

I'm optimistic and can see us edging it but friggin hell I can't see how people can be so certain that one team or the other are nailed on winners. It'll be a hard slog and a cracker of a quarter final and whatever side that wins won't have blown away their opponent.

Not officially 2fd1a38fbf9fe631c25fb87bc6f356b8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pineapple1 wrote: »

I thought he was retired!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Must be, although he would most probably not admit it from the T.J I knew of old, but he is over 55 by a few years.

I met him 3 years ago at a conference and he was still teaching at that point

• Advertisement

Possibly...it's a very vague memory at this stage tbh :-)

Did Kilgallon hit the crossbar or something late on (?)...I may be mis-remembering and mixing up a number of different games

You're right, TJ got the equaliser, Billy Fitz got the second last point

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement