Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

catrat12 wrote: »
    Anyone see that ucd whattsapp

Haven't seen it, can you describe what's in the video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

There are indications that this virus may have been engineered. Reports that there are HIV genes present which hasn't been seen before in a Coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1223305946723704832?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Is it known how soon after exposure can someone be infectious?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Is it known how soon after exposure can someone be infectious?

Various differing reports, some saying during incubation, some saying not during incubation, still not enough known to categorically say for sure no matter what others might tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dante7 wrote: »
    There are indications that this virus may have been engineered. Reports that there are HIV genes present which hasn't been seen before in a Coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1223305946723704832?s=19

Scary and the reports that HIV drugs were successful in treating it...hmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Haven't seen it, can you describe what's in the video?

It's a picture of an ambulance and a paramedic in full production gear

Hmm I don't think the default position should be to accept the Chinese have been behaving responsibly.

The difference is that the other poster was referring to normal Chinese people being looked upon with suspicion. The Chinese government is always going to criticised... regardless of how they handled this virus, they would still be a rather untrustworthy government. And rightly so. Nobody should be believe in their statements without supporting evidence.

A lot of posters here seem to be comparing China's government system with western governments. It's a ignorant comparison... as I said before, local government officials lie constantly to Beijing so that their province/city won't lose funding or will be seen in a better light (which in turn generates promotions). Corruption is rife within the Party and the culture by which power resides in officials. This is not an effort to defend Beijing. They're going to hide whatever they want to hide... but people need to stop expecting the Chinese government to behave the same as a western nation, and then judging them based on that comparison..

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's a picture of an ambulance and a paramedic in full production gear

Also theres zero evidence its not another hoax

UCD all clear apparently everyone can calm down

https://twitter.com/dannyboiG/status/1223315503063748608?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Would anyone be able to answer my question from few posts back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭circadian

About the WhatsApp message? Kinda vague so I don't see how anyone could answer accurately.

It says their sports teams are doing very well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

'There's no doubt': Top US infectious disease doctor says Wuhan coronavirus can spread even when people have no symptoms - CNN - Jan. 31, 2020
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/31/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-study/index.html

First case in South America confirmed, Brazil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Doubt there are any/many direct flights to China from Ireland.

Most would likely have to transfer at a major hub such as Heathrow, Amsterdam, and/or the Mid-East.

Besides in a few weeks, the focus might be off China, and on to all nearer major cities, inc London/Paris/Rome/Madrid/Berlin with 3m+ folks each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

wakka12 wrote: »
    'There's no doubt': Top US infectious disease doctor says Wuhan coronavirus can spread even when people have no symptoms - CNN - Jan. 31, 2020
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/31/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-study/index.html

First case in South America confirmed, Brazil

Most diseases can in fairness. Without coughing, sneezing and so on so forth, it is less transferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The difference is that the other poster was referring to normal Chinese people being looked upon with suspicion. The Chinese government is always going to criticised... regardless of how they handled this virus, they would still be a rather untrustworthy government. And rightly so. Nobody should be believe in their statements without supporting evidence.

A lot of posters here seem to be comparing China's government system with western governments. It's a ignorant comparison... as I said before, local government officials lie constantly to Beijing so that their province/city won't lose funding or will be seen in a better light (which in turn generates promotions). Corruption is rife within the Party and the culture by which power resides in officials. This is not an effort to defend Beijing. They're going to hide whatever they want to hide... but people need to stop expecting the Chinese government to behave the same as a western nation, and then judging them based on that comparison..

But you're implying some sort of east vs west dichotomy for some reason? old 100 names have not been blamed by anyone I've seen. The government is not 'eastern', unless totalitarianism is eastern, or 'communism' is eastern. Beijing are to blame AND the local government is to blame, i.e. the system and those with power in it. There's no mysterious cultural distance that causes us to misunderstand their government imo. we've seen it all before. Sure it has its quirks but all the overarching faults are the just the usual.

EDIT: Btw I Missed the bit about the 'average chinese person being looked upon with suspicion' and wasn't referring to it in any post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

the hiv corana Twitter is terrifying if true, this was a weaponized bio accident imo. i remember posting last week about hiv drugs working makes sense now

Most diseases can in fairness. Without coughing, sneezing and so on so forth, it is less transferable.

Well, apparently the only reason SARS didnt become a pandemic is because patients couldnt spread it before showing symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

the hiv corana Twitter is terrifying if true, this was a weaponized bio accident imo. i remember posting last week about hiv drugs working makes sense now

I think more likely hiv drugs work as they are antiviral in nature and this is a virus.

If it was a bio weapons accident I would be expecting deaths outside China already.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

But what exactly is happening to people coming back from China I ask this cause I work in a school and a student says his mother is coming back from Beijing the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Muir wrote: »
    The study has estimated an R0 value of 2.68.

from the same sources that said under 3000 people are infected? When the real number is probably over 120,000 by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But what exactly is happening to people coming back from China I ask this cause I work in a school and a student says his mother is coming back from Beijing the weekend

If they are coming back through Heathrow they will be screened - assuming their flight hasnt been cancelled.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It seems the whole world has let flights come and go to china. For days some airports have been temperature screening (which has now confirmed to be next to useless for anyone who is asymptomatic).

How is there not going to be a ****load of cases all over the world?

I’m assuming flights coming from China will be screened in the country they land in.

With many airlines canceling flights to or from china i doubt she will be coming back this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

I’m assuming flights coming from China will be screened in the country they land in.

Screening is ineffective, how does it work when a person is carrying the virus and not showing any symptoms yet?

VinLieger wrote: »
    With many airlines canceling flights to or from china i doubt she will be coming back this weekend

I've just checked and it seems only flight to Singapore and Milan from Beijing have canceled

Signs emerging that the virus may be artificially engineered.https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1?=1

"This uncanny similarity of novel inserts in the 2019- nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag is unlikely to be fortuitous. Further, 3D modelling suggests that atleast 3 of the unique inserts which are non-contiguous in the primary protein sequence of the 2019-nCoV spike glycoprotein converge to constitute the key components of the receptor binding site. Of note, all the 4 inserts have pI values of around 10 that may facilitate virus-host interactions. Taken together, our findings suggest unconventional evolution of 2019-nCoV that warrants further investigation. Our work highlights novel evolutionary aspects of the 2019-nCoV and has implications on the pathogenesis and diagnosis of this virus."

The implication being that the virus is unlikely to have evolved naturally

It seems the whole world has let flights come and go to china. For days some airports have been temperature screening (which has now confirmed to be next to useless for anyone who is asymptomatic).

How is there not going to be a ****load of cases all over the world?

People are still stuck on this 14 day incubation thing, while 14 days was observed in some cases the average is closer to 5-6 days which means we would already be seeing a lot more cases already if everyone flying around was infected, also there is still no definitive truth to the virus being infectious during incubation which again also explains why we haven't seen a spike in international cases yet.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I've just checked and it seems only flight to Singapore and Milan from Beijing have canceled

Multiple airlines have drastically reduced or canceled their flights completely and as someone else pointed out there are no direct flights from china to Ireland and any airports they land at will be screening them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement