Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Space Dog wrote: »
    A child of one of the infected men in Germany has been infected as well now. The entire family (wife and three children) is in hospital as they reckon that all of them have the virus.

Feck, hope smallies ok (and adults of course), one of my smallies got pneumonia and wasn’t back to themselves for a good two months.

ardinn wrote: »
    The videos I have seen show people walking normally, slowing and just faceplacting the ground, lots of people look like they were doing something and just died!

Just looking at twitter and saw the same. It's a bit surreal

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Just looking at twitter and saw the same. It's a bit surreal

That part with the guy in the black coat is so obviously fake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ardinn wrote: »
    The videos I have seen show people walking normally, slowing and just faceplacting the ground, lots of people look like they were doing something and just died!
    Oh sure that stuff looks terrifying, but we have no clue what they're actually collapsing from. In a city of what seven million, you're going to have a fair number heart attacks/strokes/basic fainting/random death stuff every single day. In the thousands. Some of them are going to happen in public.

About six months ago I was in a post office posting a package and a woman in her 30's dropped in a dead faint in front of me. She came too, but was groggy, ambulance called and off she went, looking better by the minute. If that happened today after an announcement that this "plague" was here, then sure as night follows day some fcuknugget would be videoing it(in portrait mode..) and firing it up on some retarded the end is nigh ArseBook account and the media would pick up on it.

Plus there are few infectious agents that will cause someone to tap out that instantly. Pneumonic Plague was one I recall. Many reports from the times of the Black Death that people could start to feel ill in the afternoon and be dead by sundown, some dropped mid sentence. Can't see this virus doing that, unless pneumonia precipitated a heart attack?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Pneumonia causes fainting, and best believe nobody is going to come near you on the street now. So you're waiting for the hazmat guys, in a place where the system is under such a strain that only pneumonic people are being treated near the epicentre.

So there's gonna be loads of people dropping in the streets and being left there, I have no doubt. But agree there's no reason yet to believe that there's evidence it's some unique characteristic of the virus (or indication of severity) or that it's mostly people infected.

• Advertisement

That part with the guy in the black coat is so obviously fake.

this one :D

https://twitter.com/synapse_doc/status/1223263421837168640?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Italy went from zero to national emergency real quick.

Likely just to make things easier in the containment phase but that changes the mood of the country.
    Italian prosecutors are king of the captain hindsight murder charge, politicians tend to declare National Emergencies at the drop of a hat to protect themselves.

At least one of the videos of people collapsing doing the rounds is someone who is drunk. It's pneumonia, you're going to be already lying in a bed when it starts to get very bad, not falling over out of the blue.

We must be coming up on 2 weeks into the quarantine period in Wuhan now and anyone who has it will now be displaying visible symptoms. The number I'll be watching is the number of critical cases as I think that will be a better indication of real spread - we might never know how many are infected and recover at home, but anyone critical will end up in a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

First case confirmed in Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Was chatting to a Chinese friend on WeChat earlier. The city he's from, quite distant from Wuhan and closer to Beijing, is on complete public transport shutdown, with very limited flights from the nearest airport. He works in a 1st tier city, he and lots of people like him simply can't get back to work after the spring festival. The effect on the Chinese economy must be huge.

Bizzarely, I just read this story where the Chinese gov. are arranging for overseas Chinese to be flown into Hubei and Wuhan. What kind of crackpots run that country? Some sort of face-saving measure with the images of foreigners of all stripes desperate to get out of the city?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/wuhan-virus-china-citizens-overseas-coronavirus-hubei-tourists-12372960

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

this one :D

That's funny, zombie alert

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

No there's one where someone's taking a video from a window of a guy standing further away outside and suddenly falling to the ground face down, yet he's miraculously able to cushion the fall with his arms.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Bizzarely, I just read this story where the Chinese gov. are arranging for overseas Chinese to be flown into Hubei and Wuhan. What kind of crackpots run that country? Some sort of face-saving measure with the images of foreigners of all stripes desperate to get out of the city?
    China has apparently been behaving very responsibly - it was the Chinese who contacted the Germans to tell them that one of their cases had just traveled from Germany.

It's possibly an attempt to reduce the likelihood of Chinese people being blamed for causing outbreaks overseas. I have a lot of sympathy for individual Chinese tourists and workers who have traveled abroad also, it must be very difficult for them being looked on with suspicion - and in some places they have faced outright racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I’d say people will be staying clear of Kildare Village this weekend! 😷

No. That's "Woo hun!" you are thinking of.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Super post above, this should be stickied, and they have a further informative post down the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I mean are there facilities to contain a lot of people as opposed to just a few isolated cases. I’m just curious if Ireland have large facilities similar to UK and Australia for example.

Out of curiosity what capacity to the above have and can they cater for more than a handful of people?

We had them to manage issues with the likes of TB and polio before we had mass uptake of vaccinations available. I really wouldn't worry about where someone who is affected can go. The issue is with being able to identify someone infected with it first, then how to treat the coronavirus when a patient quarantined.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No there's one where someone's taking a video from a window of a guy standing further away outside and suddenly falling to the ground face down, yet he's miraculously able to cushion the fall with his arms.

Sad thing is, there are thick people and they will take these videos as 100% true.

I'm no expert but this Corona Virus kills like other flu's, slowly and with respiratory problems, not suddenly hitting you like a heart attack when you're walking down the street

It’s this one you were watching. About the fourth or fifth person?

https://twitter.com/anjumishraaa/status/1222957946037927936?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Looks like the Chinese government are having a melt down over a Danish cartoon depicting the Chinese flag with a representation of the Corona virus on it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51295225

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-outraged-jyllands-posten-satirical-cartoon-chinese-flag-coronavirus-particles-2020-1

More detail here:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

Bus driver ain't afraid of no flu sh1t

HAHjrSG.png

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    China has apparently been behaving very responsibly - it was the Chinese who contacted the Germans to tell them that one of their cases had just traveled from Germany.

It's possibly an attempt to reduce the likelihood of Chinese people being blamed for causing outbreaks overseas. I have a lot of sympathy for individual Chinese tourists and workers who have traveled abroad also, it must be very difficult for them being looked on with suspicion - and in some places they have faced outright racism.

Hmm I don't think the default position should be to accept the Chinese have been behaving responsibly.

They suppressed SARS info, and they didn't learn their lesson and suppressed this to a point where they had no choice but to take drastic measures to get in under control. It's in their interest to behave responsibly now, but their system is complete corrupt. Why you assume that will result in responsible behaviour in a crisis I don't get.

The default position should be heavy skepticism for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

We had them to manage issues with the likes of TB and polio before we had mass uptake of vaccinations available. I really wouldn't worry about where someone who is affected can go. The issue is with being able to identify someone infected with it first, then how to treat the coronavirus when a patient quarantined.

I’m not worried about it . I’m just curious how well equipped Ireland would be if there was an outbreak of this or any other disease in the future that is highly contagious as I don’t remember much about other outbreaks and find disease and disease control interesting (not sure why) . I suppose there are no outbound flights from affected areas so maybe that is why it hasn’t been an issue for us yet.

Hmm I don't think the default position should be to accept the Chinese have been behaving responsibly.

They suppressed SARS info, and they didn't learn their lesson and suppressed this to a point where they had no choice but to take drastic measures to get in under control. It's in their interest to behave responsibly now, but their system is complete corrupt. Why you assume that will result in responsible behaviour in a crisis I don't get.
    Just going on evidence.

Sure in SARS they suppressed it. It's clear also that in this case the local authorities in Wuhan didn't declare an alarm early enough.

However the minute that central government heard about this, it was full-on. In particular, the lab in Wuhan had sequenced the virus and sent the results worldwide before the end of December (they think it started to spread in early December).

You wouldn't go quarantining cities if you wanted to keep this quiet, and there is no benefit to them at this stage of mis-reporting cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I’m not worried about it . I’m just curious how well equipped Ireland would be if there was an outbreak of this or any other disease in the future that is highly contagious as I don’t remember much about other outbreaks and find disease and disease control interesting (not sure why) . I suppose there are no outbound flights from affected areas so maybe that is why it hasn’t been an issue for us yet.

I would say out health service is ill equipped for a major outbreak in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

gozunda wrote: »
    Looks like the Chinese government are having a melt down over a Danish cartoon depicting the Chinese flag with a representation of the Corona virus on it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51295225

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-outraged-jyllands-posten-satirical-cartoon-chinese-flag-coronavirus-particles-2020-1

More detail here:

I love those dudes, but I am a bit put off about their talk of Chinese shilling about likening it to the flue. I mean, it is the flu and it's quite normal to compare them.

I can't tell whether they are getting a teensy bit paranoid, or there is a motive of some kind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TBH im not worried about the virus, cure rates outside of china have been good so far and i think it can be fairly well contained in less densly populated cities like we have, im currently far more concerned about the panic buying kicking off so im slowly building up a stockpile with about a weeks worth of food and water to get through the initial stock clearances like we saw during the snow 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

VinLieger wrote: »
    TBH im not worried about the virus, cure rates outside of china have been good so far and i think it can be fairly well contained in less densly populated cities like we have, im currently far more concerned about the panic buying kicking off so im slowly building up a stockpile with about a weeks worth of food and water to get through the initial stock clearances like we saw during the snow 2 years ago.

This is the correct mentality.

I would increase it to two or three weeks worth of food though. Don't forget things like toilet roll and toothpaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It’s this one you were watching. About the fourth or fifth person?

https://twitter.com/anjumishraaa/status/1222957946037927936?s=21

The first clip has a guy in shorts, the second it's fairly clearly not winter outside, so probably not from Wuhan.

The ambulance has the characters for Suizhou city (随州市) on it, which on googling appears to be a city in Hubei alright.

hmmm wrote: »
    Just going on evidence.

Sure in SARS they suppressed it. It's clear also that in this case the local authorities in Wuhan didn't declare an alarm early enough.

However the minute that central government heard about this, it was full-on. In particular, the lab in Wuhan had sequenced the virus and sent the results worldwide before the end of December (they think it started to spread in early December).

You wouldn't go quarantining cities if you wanted to keep this quiet, and there is no benefit to them at this stage of mis-reporting cases.

Of course by the time they were quarantining cities they knew they couldn't keep it quiet, by that time the weaknesses of their political system had caused a global crisis that they knew was coming. After it was too late they have taken the usual draconian measures that their system allows for.

The measures themselves that people in the west are praising the Party for are completely unprecedented in human history and will in themselves cause negative side-effects.

My point is that their system like others that came before it is built on lies, censorship and extreme party loyalty - all of which don't just disappear because there's a crisis.

That is not to say they didn't figure out the genome quickly, or try to stop the spread. If you think that makes them responsible and trustworthy now, then we agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'm sure it's grand but I have a big garage and there's no harm having a lot of spare tinned food, toilet paper and alcohol handrub.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement