Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

they seem to be using handheld infrared thermometers to screen people at airports

those things are useless
    Jonathan Yu, a doctor at a university hospital in Wuhan, is on the front lines, testing patients for the coronavirus. Accurately spotting the virus isn’t easy and can take several attempts, he said.
    “A patient may be found as negative for the first or second test, and then found to be positive the third time,”
    said Yu. “It is like fishing in a pond: You did not catch a fish once, but that does not mean the pond does not have fish.”
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-31/china-virus-cases-surging-3-000-may-be-undercounting-infections?srnd=premium-asia

Thats a huge deal....^^^

Damn, seems like I've missed out on the temperate weather. Probably going to go over there when I know what's going on with this thing due to health insurance more than death :P

March-April September-November are generally the good months in the North. There's definitely four seasons here.

how is the virus getting airborne anyway, its not really free floating right

its going to be contained in sputum

Bear in mind the new corona is more contagious than in their example

I would happily take unpaid time off if Vietnam did it. See what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

I would happily take unpaid time off if Vietnam did it. See what happens.

Would Vietnam pay it? :P Most European TEFL schools wouldn't either, and I'd trust the Viets more, but you know.

Yeah, they did it for Sars so I'm not too worried, but I think my personality has a bit of the prepping element or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Oranage2 wrote: »
    He said he'll be there for 10-14 days, must have already had a plan for them when they took them on the flight

It's Brexit day. We would want to be damn sure.

We know the British have a tendancy to row back on commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think the chances of it being fake and there not being a million people infected today are higher than some random bird wearing a mask talking into a phone being right.

There is no point in worrying yourself over stuff like that. The first cases are now in the city I live in and I guarantee when I'm back in work next week, there's be students lapping up every scary video that gets shared on FB and Zalo scaring others.

Not so fast, while that is probably the least credible video and I'd never consider it on its own, two experts estimated it was 45,000 and 100,000 respectively around that time (think it was university of hong kong and a UK college) (here's one report: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-could-infect-100000-globally-experts-warn)

So my point is, it's not just this video. Of course the experts could be wrong / agenda driven / and may have been refuted by others but they haven't been attacked by their own scientific community for irresponsible guesswork as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Would Vietnam pay it? :P Most European TEFL schools wouldn't either, and I'd trust the Viets more, but you know.

Yeah, they did it for Sars so I'm not too worried, but I think my personality has a bit of the prepping element or something.

I've a feeling the school year will be extended to the end of July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If those nosey 'wans from accounts come over, and are are all like "what happened to the 'cooler", tell 'em nuttin'.

6qDVmJj.png

All perfect fine, but the last guy is having a laugh, and is going to trip over wearing a (semi-opaque) unclear bottle on his head

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    Where can you buy face masks in Dublin?
    I ask because I normally pick up every bloody bug going where I fly...and I am flying next week...

Load up on Vitamins. It's amazing that many people ignore this, but it's the reason I rarely get sick while living in China. As others have suggested, other basic hygiene habits will help. Get plenty of sleep and ensure your energy levels are high.
    There's always a shower of gob****es who don't give a damn and put the world at risk.
    They flew out even though they knew the risk. Idiots.
    I dare say there are a few of these prats in Ireland too.

Hindsight is a lovely thing though.

When I flew out, the reports on the virus were very low key, and there were no concerns internationally. I was also flying from Xi'an rather than near Wuhan, and also before the majority of Chinese people would start traveling for the new year. the chances of anyone from Wuhan being on my flight was extremely small considering it would be far cheaper/quicker for them to fly from Shanghai or BJ.

To be honest, i was surprised that there was zero screening in Xi'an, Istanbul or Dublin when I flew. Nothing at all.

But in any case, it's easy to look back now and condemn those who left previously. I didn't see any posts demanding that people be more careful a week or two ago. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If those nosey 'wans from accounts come over, and are are all like "what happened to the 'cooler", tell 'em nuttin'.

6qDVmJj.png

All perfect fine, but the last guy is having a laugh, and is going to trip over wearing a (semi-opaque) unclear bottle on his head

Gotta hand it to the Chinese, they're doing their best. When all you're left with is lemons, the only thing to do is to make lemonade.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

A lot of facilities to quarantine people were built the 20th century.

I find it surprising sometimes the amount of people who are unaware of it.

Bueamont has a quarantine facility as does Cherry Orchard (which was designed for that purpose).

I mean are there facilities to contain a lot of people as opposed to just a few isolated cases. I’m just curious if Ireland have large facilities similar to UK and Australia for example.

Out of curiosity what capacity to the above have and can they cater for more than a handful of people?

Yurt! wrote: »
    Gotta hand it to the Chinese, they're doing their best. When all you're left with is lemons, the only thing to do is to make lemonade.
    When life gives you lemons, (or an orange in this case), wear it with pride.

Iz3Ad0K.png

The dogmask is a curiosity, the virus already jumped from some random bat-snake thing, for it then to jump to canines is unlikely.

Call Me Jimmy... I'm now getting confirmed reports from my students talking about barricades and militias being formed from retired soldiers to keep out strangers from villages/small towns. So, it seems you were "on the money" with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Creepy yet quite funny. Benevolent drone montioring Chinese citizens.

https://mobile.twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1223218977570078721

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Call Me Jimmy... I'm now getting confirmed reports from my students talking about barricades and militias being formed from retired soldiers to keep out strangers from villages/small towns. So, it seems you were "on the money" with that.

Bound to happen. Society tends to breakdown when plagues like this happen. People get scared of strangers...then get scared of friends & neighbours.

daheff wrote: »
    Bound to happen. Society tends to breakdown when plagues like this happen. People get scared of strangers...then get scared of friends & neighbours.

From what I hear, it's not so much the friends and neighbors that they're scared of, but rather strangers from outside their local areas. I've been told that many smaller villages/towns have set up their own containment and treatment centers to deal with friends and neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

From what I hear, it's not so much the friends and neighbors that they're scared of, but rather strangers from outside their local areas. I've been told that many smaller villages/towns have set up their own containment and treatment centers to deal with friends and neighbors.

The challenge with these control measures is that they can cause secondary suffering. The case of the youngfella who died in his bed because his dad and brother were removed to an infection center being a case in point. Village officials only fed him twice, reportedly. Imagine the suffering of that man desperate to message people to help his disabled son at home, and the suffering of the young man himself. Now throw up roadblocks and militias... There will be many sad stories of tragedies where the virus was not present directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

New suspected cases in Lithuania, Estonia, Spain , Turkey, Poland, Argentina, New Zealand
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/ewlkrg/new_suspected_cases_january_31th_edition_all_new/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’d say people will be staying clear of Kildare Village this weekend! 😷

Italy went from zero to national emergency real quick.

Likely just to make things easier in the containment phase but that changes the mood of the country.

wakka12 wrote: »
    That would be very strange if there is any truth to it, usually after beating a flu virus, you'd have some (even slight) immunity (having developed antibodies).

In one season you could get (either) influenza A or B, but not A+A or B+B.

Then again if 2nd denuge fever incidents, or 2nd pox/measles leading to shingles etc. when secondary, who knows. Perhaps it suggests rapid subtle mutation.

Anyway, oil prices are dropping like crazy -4% (today) for Brent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Oranage2 wrote: »
    They probably didn't show symptoms until the UK. And let's me honest, if I was sick in Wuhan I'd probably try leave to seek better medical attention elsewhere.

They probably didn't but just shows how difficult this will be to control. As for leaving Wuhan it shouldn't be possible unless you are being quarantined. Would you like to be responsible for bring this back to Ireland your family, friends etc. I wouldn't, hunker down and hope to let it pass me by.

saabsaab wrote: »
    They probably didn't but just shows how difficult this will be to control. As for leaving Wuhan it shouldn't be possible unless you are being quarantined. Would you like to be responsible for bring this back to Ireland your family, friends etc. I wouldn't, hunker down and hope to let it pass me by.

If you were worried enough you'd convince yourself you don't have it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

From what I hear, it's not so much the friends and neighbors that they're scared of, but rather strangers from outside their local areas.

That's what I'm saying. Starts with outsiders (they might be infected.. we're not). Then it'll go to being afraid of friends & neighbours once they start showing symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

AdamB wrote: »
    I find this image from the Gaurdian disturbing, are people just dropping dead from this? I would have thought that if you are about to die from this virus, the last thing on your mind would be oh I better just pop down the shop. May be an unrelated death.

The videos I have seen show people walking normally, slowing and just faceplacting the ground, lots of people look like they were doing something and just died!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

A child of one of the infected men in Germany has been infected as well now. The entire family (husband, wife and three children) is in hospital as they reckon that all of them have the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

ardinn wrote: »
    The videos I have seen show people walking normally, slowing and just faceplacting the ground, lots of people look like they were doing something and just died!

These kinds of videos always do the rounds during any kind of scare.
    During ebola and swine flu there was similar - they are completely unrelated, just reposted by opportunistic people looking to spread fear.

Most of the deaths to date have been from pneumonia and/or organ failures - and predominately in people who have preexisting medical conditions such as heavy smokers or those with heart trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement