Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im kinda on the side of China under reporting but it really does throw up questions as to where are all the international cases.

If anything it proves we still know far too little about whats going on still, maybe we will see an international spike over the next week which will be worrying but also answer that question. If we dont see that spike then i dont know what that means tbh.

I'm not saying this is the reason or anything just an idea.

Spring festival is the 25th of January, the shut down Wuhan was on the 23rd. People might have waited to the new year to travel abroad thus stopping many from spreading it internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

givyjoe wrote: »
    I was specifically refering to conspiracy nonsense re: a bio weapon. Experiments that aren't intended to engineer weapons is quite clearly different. Accidents can obviously happen. Talk engineering viral weapons is ludicrous.

Sverdlovsk anthrax leak - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverdlovsk_anthrax_leak

hmm. not going to argue accident or weapon its looking very certain this is man made

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

givyjoe wrote: »
    I was specifically refering to conspiracy nonsense re: a bio weapon. Experiments that aren't intended to engineer weapons is quite clearly different. Accidents can obviously happen. Talk engineering viral weapons is ludicrous.

You think the Russians and US have bio labs storing and working in highly infections dangerous viruses in the search of cures??

There's been more than a few accidental outbreaks coming from bio labs over the years. I'm sure that's were the next pandemic will eventually be traced back to, if there's any of us left to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You think the Russians and US have bio labs storing and working in highly infections dangerous viruses in the search of cures??

There's been more than a few accidental outbreaks coming from bio labs over the years. I'm sure that's were the next pandemic will eventually be traced back to, if there's any of us left to investigate.

Oh give over. Complete farcical nonsense. It's science fiction. How do you target specific nations with a highly infectious virus and not kill your own? Please reply with some actual science fact, and not something you saw in a movie.

There is a legitimate scientific reason for studying viruses in labs, e.g. the Aussie lab that was able to grow it artificially early in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

During the previous WHO alert (for H1N1) wasn't there some story about a test tube being transported on a train in Europe.

Ah here it is: Intercity train is seen in Lausanne station after it had been evacuated.
    https://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/virus-alarm-in-switzerland-swine-flu-container-explodes-on-train-a-621598.html
    ... A container holding swine flu exploded on a Swiss train on Monday {2009}, it could have led to a nightmare scenario.
    Luckily the virus was not the mutated swine flu that has killed around 150 people in Mexico and that has already spread to parts of Europe

Switzerland home of the $Billionaire Davos (very recent) Conventions, and likely connected to the lad that build the 'Georgia Guidestones' who that thinks the planet is overpopulated.

• Advertisement

The most senior defector from the Soviet germ warfare program says in a new book that Soviet officials concluded that China had suffered a serious accident at one of its secret plants for developing biological weapons, causing two major epidemics.

The book also reports that Soviet researchers tried to turn H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS, into a weapon and that even as the last Soviet President, Mikhail S. Gorbachev, pursued peace openings with the West, he ordered a vast expansion of the deadly effort to turn germs and viruses into weapons of mass destruction.

The defector, Kanatjan Alibekov, now known as Ken Alibek, says in the book that as deputy director of a top branch of the Soviet program, he knew of the disaster in China because he saw secret Soviet intelligence reports twice a month.

Spy satellites peering down at China found what seemed to be a large biological weapons laboratory and plant near a remote site for testing nuclear warheads, he wrote. Intelligence agents then found evidence that two epidemics of hemorrhagic fever swept the region in the late 1980's. The area had never previously known such diseases, which cause profuse bleeding and death.
    Our analysts,'' Dr. Alibek said, ''concluded that they were caused by an accident in a lab where Chinese scientists were weaponizing viral diseases.'' Viral scourges that cause intense bleeding include Marburg fever and the dreaded Ebola virus. Both are endemic to Africa.

China has signed a 1972 treaty banning biological weapons. During World War II it became one of the few modern countries to experience their horrors when Japanese attackers sowed epidemics there, killing thousands of Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Anyone with a degree in biology able to tell us what type of effect those HIV genes will have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Anyone with a degree in biology able to tell us what type of effect those HIV genes will have?

You'd want more that a degree for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Science fiction tends to precede science fact. If you think pathogens are being studied throughout the world solely to find cures you're a numpty and it's pointless discussing it with you.

Yeah, I'm the numpty. This is really a weapon gone wrong. Jesus wept, you're probably sitting there with your tin foil hat on.

In summary you have no science to back up this crackpot nonsense and can't even provide a logical argument for it.

As for science fiction preceding fact.. Warp 10 and make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You think the Russians and US have bio labs storing and working in highly infections dangerous viruses in the search of cures?

Partly yes (?)...even if you have no offensive program (any more) you can't "fight" biological weapons others might use without presumably studing the bacteria and viruses and researching all the ways an adversary might use them.

The US ended their "offensive" programme under Nixon (I think the view was we won't use these weapons anyway, if any state attacks us with a horrible biological weapon we will nuke them back to the stone age in response). Afair the Soviets supposedly continued theirs right up until the collapse of the Soviet union.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

The most senior defector from the Soviet germ warfare program says in a new book that Soviet officials concluded that China had suffered a serious accident at one of its secret plants for developing biological weapons, causing two major epidemics.

The book also reports that Soviet researchers tried to turn H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS, into a weapon and that even as the last Soviet President, Mikhail S. Gorbachev, pursued peace openings with the West, he ordered a vast expansion of the deadly effort to turn germs and viruses into weapons of mass destruction.

The defector, Kanatjan Alibekov, now known as Ken Alibek, says in the book that as deputy director of a top branch of the Soviet program, he knew of the disaster in China because he saw secret Soviet intelligence reports twice a month.

Spy satellites peering down at China found what seemed to be a large biological weapons laboratory and plant near a remote site for testing nuclear warheads, he wrote. Intelligence agents then found evidence that two epidemics of hemorrhagic fever swept the region in the late 1980's. The area had never previously known such diseases, which cause profuse bleeding and death.
    Our analysts,'' Dr. Alibek said, ''concluded that they were caused by an accident in a lab where Chinese scientists were weaponizing viral diseases.'' Viral scourges that cause intense bleeding include Marburg fever and the dreaded Ebola virus. Both are endemic to Africa.

China has signed a 1972 treaty banning biological weapons. During World War II it became one of the few modern countries to experience their horrors when Japanese attackers sowed epidemics there, killing thousands of Chinese.

Dude, Putin is the biggest pot stirrer in existence. I would take anything from Russia with a pinch of salt, and a barrel of vodka

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

White House briefing at the moment, anyone coming from Hubei province will be quarantined for up-to 14 days. Warns US citizens in China that hospitals might be "compromised" over time if they fall ill i.e. if you have to go to hospital for any reason you might become infected.

Neither sounds unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

What if it was aliens using bio weapons against us?

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/did-china-steal-coronavirus-canada-and-weaponize-it

no need for rage on this topic personally with a 3 month old child i hope it fks off for ever but there is something going on here we cant just believe the offical narrative..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What if it was aliens using bio weapons against us?

No one can prove you wrong, therefore your theory is as credible as others.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/did-china-steal-coronavirus-canada-and-weaponize-it

no need for rage on this topic personally with a 3 month old child i hope it fks off for ever but there is something going on here we cant just believe the offical narrative..

My second cousins, mom's brother's wife's (who married into their family) sister's daughter boyfriend posted the same thing on twitter. It’s deffo true.

Ipso wrote: »
    No one can probe you wrong, therefore your theory is as credible as others.

I for one welcome our new overlords.

I heard the Chinese pissed them off when landing a rover on the far side of the moon where they have been silently waiting to invade.

Lads, calm down. Lets go through the options.

1 Its natural. All things considered its not that severe and I imagine it will move to either less lethal and more contagious or more lethal and less contagious.

2 Its weaponized and used for malicious reasons by one of a few parties. America is allied with Europe and it would be dumb to shoot us in the foot. China cant win a germ war tbh due to sociological factors. Russia could be the wildcard tbh as Putin is losing power in some ways, but it would be suicide to do it without China or America backing.

3 Itąs a leak which means we have info on it and its not a wild card. And, most importantlz, war has changed due to globalisation. It is not important to kill people, it is important to hit the money or economy temperoarily to gain the upper hand. It could cause long term complications though to hit the Welfare government, but the whole kill them with a virus time period is gone.

Edit Imo, the hong kong scenario could be possible, but there was a leak or foreign operatives who got it out before it could be used.

Lads, calm down. Lets go through the options.

1 Its natural. All things considered its not that severe and I imagine it will move to either less lethal and more contagious or more lethal and less contagious.

2 Its weaponized and used for malicious reasons by one of a few parties. America is allied with Europe and it would be dumb to shoot us in the foot. China cant win a germ war tbh due to sociological factors. Russia could be the wildcard tbh as Putin is losing power in some ways, but it would be suicide to do it without China or America backing.

3 Itąs a leak which means we have info on it and its not a wild card. And, most importantlz, war has changed due to globalisation. It is not important to kill people, it is important to hit the money or economy temperoarily to gain the upper hand. It could cause long term complications though to hit the Welfare government, but the whole kill them with a virus time period is gone.

4 Aliens

4 Aliens

Depends if there hot. I swear to god, I do not want monster dongs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Does anyone have a link that has each day's confirmed cases. The main one's i've seen just have the latest count, I want to compare previous days new cases by province/city in china (and in other countries)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah, yes, zerohedge. Paragons of debunking conspiracy theories and not playing the stock market.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That is the best point against it imo. A guy being interviewed by the anti-CCP Epoch Times even said similar, bio weapons aren't feasible as weapons of war.
    Well, they might be, if such a weapon targeted specific genes in a population, or a lack of natural resistance in a population. EG Saddam Hussain was interested in weaponising camelpox(or smallpox?) on the basis that local Arabs would have some immunity to it, because they were exposed to it as kids, but non Arab invaders wouldn't have that protection.

Indeed vaccination itself came about because Jenner noted that milk maids never got smallpox, because they were exposed to the far less lethal cowpox which offered immunity against the more lethal smallpox(though he wasn't the first to notice or even try immunising people with cowpox).

Look at the European conquest of the Americas. The locals didn't have any resistance to diseases like measles and millions died. That was "weaponised" biowar in some ways.

So as we get more and more adept and knowledgable about genetics, It's quite possible that you could make a virus that only infects/debilitates/kills people with the genes for red hair, or even skin colour, or one that tended to attack people with particular habits or lifestyles. I mean HIV in the West overwhelmingly targets Gay men and intravenous drug users(much less particular in Africa) and that's a natural virus. No doubt it could be tweaked more.

Plague could be another one. Many of those of European stock reading this would likely have some resistance to it. There were near yearly running plagues in the mediaeval and beyond. The Black Death killed half of Europe's population. The half that didn't die? well they survived it(it kills about a third of those infected. The pneumonic form kills pretty much everyone). That would give some immunity down to today's population. Certainly more than in say African folks who never suffered it.

So yeah it's a potential worry alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does anyone have a link that has each day's confirmed cases. The main one's i've seen just have the latest count, I want to compare previous days new cases by province/city in china (and in other countries)

Best there is

https://news.qq.com//zt2020/page/feiyan.htm?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf#rumor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Probably wasting time here...but put your thinking cap on instead of the tinfoil one.

What "we" (the great unwashed) know from what has come to light about the disgusting bio-weapon programs of various countries is that the focus (when it comes to human diseases) is on the most lethal and debilitating ones.

It has been the likes of smallpox, anthrax, plague, Marburg virus. I think smallpox used to kill ~ 30 % of people who catch it (and everyone would need extensive medical care) not 2% or so. This virus in China seems of limited use as a weapon...the natural explanation (as opposed to the conspiracy theory) is the more reasonable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Smiles35 wrote: »

All they've said is there is parts of it that are identical to the HIV virus, could be natural. Even if man made no one would know how that affects it. Would need a whole lot more research

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

I for one welcome our new overlords.

I heard the Chinese pissed them off when landing a rover on the far side of the moon where they have been silently waiting to invade.

That’s the Irish all over – they treat a joke as a serious thing and a serious thing as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well, they might be, if such a weapon targeted specific genes in a population, or a lack of natural resistance in a population. EG Saddam Hussain was interested in weaponising camelpox(or smallpox?) on the basis that local Arabs would have some immunity to it, because they were exposed to it as kids, but non Arab invaders wouldn't have that protection.

Indeed vaccination itself came about because Jenner noted that milk maids never got smallpox, because they were exposed to the far less lethal cowpox which offered immunity against the more lethal smallpox(though he wasn't the first to notice or even try immunising people with cowpox).

Look at the European conquest of the Americas. The locals didn't have any resistance to diseases like measles and millions died. That was "weaponised" biowar in some ways.

So as we get more and more adept and knowledgable about genetics, It's quite possible that you could make a virus that only infects/debilitates/kills people with the genes for red hair, or even skin colour, or one that tended to attack people with particular habits or lifestyles. I mean HIV in the West overwhelmingly targets Gay men and intravenous drug users(much less particular in Africa) and that's a natural virus. No doubt it could be tweaked more.

Plague could be another one. Many of those of European stock reading this would likely have some resistance to it. There were near yearly running plagues in the mediaeval and beyond. The Black Death killed half of Europe's population. The half that didn't die? well they survived it(it kills about a third of those infected. The pneumonic form kills pretty much everyone). That would give some immunity down to today's population. Certainly more than in say African folks who never suffered it.

Spare us please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wibbs wrote: »

Aye maybe I'm underestimating how close we are to this scientifically but I know f all about genetic research!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement