Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary North election thread

Options
  • 25-11-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

I suppose Lowry will get in regardless of what he does. Detaching himself from FF & the budget this week was a bit lame, but he can do no wrong in the eyes of the believers.

Hoctor can't possibly get reelected, can she? The Nenagh hospital fiasco alone must rule her out, surely?

I have no idea about Coonan, he's a bit of a nonentity on the national level.

Any truth in the rumour that Alan Kelly will return from Europe to make a run? He seems very electable, will appeal as a fresh face and should still have some momentum from his win last year. He's been keeping a high profile locally too.

Anyone got any inside knowledge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Lowry will top the poll. Has for how many years now and will continue to. Local poltics rule.

Don't know if Kelly will run but if he does you'd probably put him as runner up as he seems to be a very capable politician. Would probably make sense for Labour to bring him back as he would be a very recognisable name for voters and would probably win a seat which they wouldn't win otherwise.

FF will still have a big vote in North Tipp. Will be interesting to see why they run with Hoctor. You couldn't imagine Hoctor getting back in but then again you couldn't imagine that 20% of the population continue to back FF.

FG will probably get the third seat. Coonan doesn't strike me as the sharpest of fellas around but the support nationally for FG will probably put him through.

Politicians wise I'd vote for Kelly (if he runs & Labours policies make reasonable sense) but policy wise currently I'd vote FG.

I'd predict

1) Lowry,
    2) Kelly
    3) Coonan

If Kelly doesn't run I could well see FF picking up a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Politicians wise I'd vote for Kelly (if he runs & Labours policies make reasonable sense) but policy wise currently I'd vote FG.

Fair enough it you want to support Labour but has the man actually done anything since being elected to Europe 18 months ago. This is what annoys me about Irish politics. We either elect local gombeens or invisible gob****es who do nothing until 6 months before the election and then vote for them because they turned up at our door and smile at us. Tom Hayes in South Tipp, Brian Crowley the other MEP are typical examples. They could have been accidently locked in a ballot box at the end of the last count and no one would miss them till the next count. All Crowley has going for him is his Cork accent and the sheep down there vote for one of their own. **** knows how Kelly and Hayes get away with it. Mattie McGrath and Michael Lowery may be gombeens (and I'll not be voting for either of them) but at least you know they are working their overpaid wages.

The whole selection of candidates on the Tipperary ballot papers (North and South) is just depressing in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

touts wrote: »
    Fair enough it you want to support Labour but has the man actually done anything since being elected to Europe 18 months ago. This is what annoys me about Irish politics. We either elect local gombeens or invisible gob****es who do nothing until 6 months before the election and then vote for them because they turned up at our door and smile at us. Tom Hayes in South Tipp, Brian Crowley the other MEP are typical examples. They could have been accidently locked in a ballot box at the end of the last count and no one would miss them till the next count. All Crowley has going for him is his Cork accent and the sheep down there vote for one of their own. **** knows how Kelly and Hayes get away with it.

Just because you take no interest in what is done at European level doesn't mean that MEPs actually do nothing. For example, Kelly is active on the committee for agriculture and rural development, in European relations with the US anda as a delegate in other areas. Brian Crowley is well respected within the ALDE party and is on the committee for industry, research and energy.

This is what annoys me about Irish politics - someone might be a very capable politician and excellent at operating at an international or national level, but if you're not seen to be providing jobs for the boys or taking personal responsibility for your county's potholes, people think you're a nonentity. Leave the local work to the county councillors and elect professionals to run the country. We might actually get a government that knows what they're doing for once.

Glad to see Kelly getting the nod today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

All information from the last election is on http://electionsireland.org/ might be worth checking out who the county councillors are as they might be candidates for the dail.

136630.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22 the spoofer

I' m based in south Tipp and dont know a whole pile about the north tipp tds but surely lowry has done more for north tipp than Hoctor or Kelly combined.He found himself in a position of power and worked it to the advantage of the constituency.He always gets a top class vote so he must be doing something right.Years ago when tony gregory did a deal with Haughey for his constituencty he was hailed a hero Lowry does the same and people make him out as a villan.For the record I have no connection of any kind to Lowry.Sometimes I think these blogs are manipulated by people with hidden agendas so I hope if people are involved with the candidates they would declare that when theyre posting on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

This is what has the Country ruined,ye North people voting for tax cheats like Lowry and his like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

jonnybravo wrote: »

1) Lowry,
    2) Kelly
    3) Coonan

If Kelly doesn't run I could well see FF picking up a seat.

I'd agree with this.

Lowry will top the polls yet again.

There is FF support and probably enough for one seat.
    But it won't be Maire Hoctor. Based around Nenagh and the issues with the hospital is going to lose her big support. She's been heckled and hounded at large public meetings in the Nenagh Abbey Court Hotel for years now

I'm not sure will FF put forward another serious candidate, I'm sure they can find somebody

I' m based in south Tipp and dont know a whole pile about the north tipp tds but surely lowry has done more for north tipp than Hoctor or Kelly combined.He found himself in a position of power and worked it to the advantage of the constituency.He always gets a top class vote so he must be doing something right.Years ago when tony gregory did a deal with Haughey for his constituencty he was hailed a hero Lowry does the same and people make him out as a villan.For the record I have no connection of any kind to Lowry.Sometimes I think these blogs are manipulated by people with hidden agendas so I hope if people are involved with the candidates they would declare that when theyre posting on here

Lowry hasn't done a whole pile in his time propping up the government. Nenagh hospital has been downgraded, Thurles is still a jobs black spot, no by pass etc etc.. And even if he had of done alot in government the job of TD's is to look after the National Interest - not local parish politics. He gets lots of votes cause hes very very good at local politics - going to funerals, visiting pubs, getting locals favours etc etc but this doesn't mean that he's a good TD - it'd make him an excellent local counciller. Its a major problem of Irish politics that local politics rule on a National Level.

By the way Kelly has announced that he wants to run in North Tipp. Think he's a certainty to get in. Any time I've heard him speak he comes across as an intelligent informed politician. I'll be awaiting with interest in Labours policies when they're announced.

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/ireland/labour-mep-wants-to-quit-brussels-and-run-for-dail-137791.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22 the spoofer

Johnnybravo I'm curious as to who you think runs the country or who has been running it for the last number of years.To my mind it is run by senior civil servants .I attended the department of finance on two occasions making budget submissions and there was no politician present.We made our submission and at the end of it they thanked us asked no questions and we left feeling we might as well be talking to trees in a forest.They are a law onto themselves.Everybody goes mad at the mention of a 100e property tax and nobody has a problem with people having to pay a 160e television licence to subsidise the rte canteen or the wages of the likes of Joe Duffy !The unions went for wage increase after wage increase over the tiger years when common sense would have told them you cant keep upping the labour costs.The first to suffer were the small shops and businesses all over the country.Now they carry on as if they had nothing to do with it.
    It's interesting that the major companies in and around clonmel with no union presence survived whereas the ones with a strong union presence fell by the way side (Barlo Ronans Clonmel foods).I remember not so long ago employees of Bulmers being taxied to work at the companies expense.
    We have two senior bankers switching money between accounts to doctor the figures and nothing has happened so far.Pwc were sent into the banks to see what the true figures were and they weren't within an asses roar of the correct figure.Nobody has been called to account here either and Gilmore Cowan or Kenny have no comment to make.We have Peter Sutherland commenting on what we need to do.He has obviously forgotten he was on the board of Royal Bank of Scotland who have lost their cobs and he didnt see it coming.So we are surrounded by rogues and bluffers getting top dollar for doing sweet fanny adams.
    We assume because they are educated they know what should be done.The above examples would make me question that theory.
    Nobody has suggested reducing the amount of county councillors we have why is this.
    Why have the HSE paying membership fees for settled travellers at a leisure centre in north Tipp to help them integrate with the community while cuttining back on special needs assistants in schools.Its nuts whats going on and if labour come out and say this type of nonsense will be tackled then they ll get my vote but I dont believe Gilmore or any of the others have the balls to stop this nonsense. I wish that one candidate would go forward in each constituency to say we will cut the unmarried mothers allowance we will cut the rent allowance we will subsidise employers who take people off the dole to 50% of what they would recieve in dole payments for the fist year and 25% for the second year .Local hospitals would be kept open in the interest of the local community.That the lads who hold up the roads training their horse would be sent to trim back the overgrown hedges on our roads so instead of holding up the traffic they would make it easier for the drivers on the road.
    I better stop !I must go and get my heart tablets !Jaysus I ve got so wound up!Maybe Lowry isnt the worst of them!

Johnnybravo I'm curious as to who you think runs the country or who has been running it for the last number of years.To my mind it is run by senior civil servants .I attended the department of finance on two occasions making budget submissions and there was no politician present.We made our submission and at the end of it they thanked us asked no questions and we left feeling we might as well be talking to trees in a forest.They are a law onto themselves.

The government runs the country. If they didn't then we wouldn't be in a democracy. It's the civil servants jobs to implement the policy of the government. If you believed otherwise you wouldn't bother voting??
    Everybody goes mad at the mention of a 100e property tax and nobody has a problem with people having to pay a 160e television licence to subsidise the rte canteen or the wages of the likes of Joe Duffy !The unions went for wage increase after wage increase over the tiger years when common sense would have told them you cant keep upping the labour costs.The first to suffer were the small shops and businesses all over the country.Now they carry on as if they had nothing to do with it.
    It's interesting that the major companies in and around clonmel with no union presence survived whereas the ones with a strong union presence fell by the way side (Barlo Ronans Clonmel foods).I remember not so long ago employees of Bulmers being taxied to work at the companies expense.

I agree the unions were a major cause of the current trouble we're in. You just have to look at the problems in the public service to see that. However its was the current government and previous governments that have given so much power to the unions through their role in partnership and not tackling the problems in public service and the ancient work practices that still operate in there.

We have two senior bankers switching money between accounts to doctor the figures and nothing has happened so far.Pwc were sent into the banks to see what the true figures were and they weren't within an asses roar of the correct figure.Nobody has been called to account here either and Gilmore Cowan or Kenny have no comment to make.We have Peter Sutherland commenting on what we need to do.He has obviously forgotten he was on the board of Royal Bank of Scotland who have lost their cobs and he didnt see it coming.So we are surrounded by rogues and bluffers getting top dollar for doing sweet fanny adams.
    We assume because they are educated they know what should be done.The above examples would make me question that theory.
    Nobody has suggested reducing the amount of county councillors we have why is this.
    Why have the HSE paying membership fees for settled travellers at a leisure centre in north Tipp to help them integrate with the community while cuttining back on special needs assistants in schools.Its nuts whats going on and if labour come out and say this type of nonsense will be tackled then they ll get my vote but I dont believe Gilmore or any of the others have the balls to stop this nonsense. I wish that one candidate would go forward in each constituency to say we will cut the unmarried mothers allowance we will cut the rent allowance we will subsidise employers who take people off the dole to 50% of what they would recieve in dole payments for the fist year and 25% for the second year .Local hospitals would be kept open in the interest of the local community.That the lads who hold up the roads training their horse would be sent to trim back the overgrown hedges on our roads so instead of holding up the traffic they would make it easier for the drivers on the road.
    I better stop !I must go and get my heart tablets !Jaysus I ve got so wound up!Maybe Lowry isnt the worst of them!

Lowry won't be able to do any of the things you want. You need to be part of a political party to be involved in making changes and he got kicked out of FG. The only things Independents like Lowry can hope for is a close Dail where their vote has to be relied on and then they can sell this vote to the highest bidder for a few favours in their constituency. They can't and don't have to power to improve things on a national level and are a waste of a vote in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I' m based in south Tipp and dont know a whole pile about the north tipp tds but surely lowry has done more for north tipp than Hoctor or Kelly combined.He found himself in a position of power and worked it to the advantage of the constituency.He always gets a top class vote so he must be doing something right.Years ago when tony gregory did a deal with Haughey for his constituencty he was hailed a hero Lowry does the same and people make him out as a villan.For the record I have no connection of any kind to Lowry.

People make Lowry out to be a villain because of the stench of corruption surrounding him - not only the revelations of the McCracken Tribunal but the ongoing Moriarty Tribunal too. He has done good for North Tipp, but not much at a national level and that's what TDs are supposed to be elected for.

Sometimes I think these blogs are manipulated by people with hidden agendas so I hope if people are involved with the candidates they would declare that when theyre posting on here

I started the thread and am happy to declare that I have no involvement with any candidate. I'm a classic floating voter. My family would have been quite strongly FF in the past, but as far as I'm concerned, those times have gone. I'd like to see a fresh sweep throughout the constituency. I've stated an initial preference for Alan Kelly simply because he's untainted by local pothole politics, has knowledge of the political system at national and European level and is less likely to be involved in cronyism and backhanders than the incumbents. The downside of Kelly is that Labour have yet to prove themselves as having any policies worth voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    All information from the last election is on http://electionsireland.org/ might be worth checking out who the county councillors are as they might be candidates for the dail.

I'd say Jim Ryan will run again. He's been elected to the council since the last election and whatever issues I have with the Ryan Mafia in Thurles he has been working his socks off with the council and getting a good profile. I can see him gaining a number of votes - not enough to get elected but enough to take some from other candiates.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

tippspur wrote: »
    This is what has the Country ruined,ye North people voting for tax cheats like Lowry and his like.

..and his like ? Clarify please !

Anyway, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones......

Your guys down 'south' aren't perfect either.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/one-drink-helps-some-drivers-td-1924931.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

tippspur wrote: »

Many 'North' people would rather emigrate than vote for that snake oil salesman Lowry.

Hoctor can go back to teaching in the Convent.

At least Kelly is a full time politician.

Same for Coonan.

Anybody with a government job already should be barred from running and if that cant be done at least nobody should vote for them.

Thats my opinion.

SARZY wrote: »
    Hoctor can go back to teaching in the Convent.

Nenagh CBS, used to be my teacher

In fact, I think she still is a permanent teacher. You know the ways a TD can hang onto their post
    She'll be teaching soon enough, she's a goner!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

SARZY wrote: »
    Many 'North' people would rather emigrate than vote for that snake oil salesman Lowry.

....and many 'south' people would rather eat their hat than vote for that pro-stag huntin' (an issue he protested in when the country was just after falling on its economic knees, priorities eh ? ) , pro-drink drivin' gombeen ! But That's Democracy.

..and when did Lowry become an oil salesman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

macgrub wrote: »
    ....and many 'south' people would rather eat their hat than vote for that pro-stag huntin' (an issue he protested in when the country was just after falling on its economic knees, priorities eh ? ) , pro-drink drivin' gombeen ! But That's Democracy.

..and when did Lowry become an oil salesman?

Dont think he has yet, but its just a term coming from the old wild west when Con-men sold a cure all oil derived from snakes and supposed to cure all known and unknown human problems.
    Come to think of it, a perfect description of the lowry lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

macgrub wrote: »
    ..and his like ? Clarify please !

Anyway, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones......

Your guys down 'south' aren't perfect either.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/one-drink-helps-some-drivers-td-1924931.html
    Jaysus don't get me started on Mattie:mad:

Hoctor, Smith Jnr and John Hogan going for the North Tipp FF nominations. Presume they'll run two - be interesting to see who gets in. Would Hoctor be even certain to get a nomination?

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/Cousins-to-Battle-for-FF.6653103.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mccoist

interesting to look at the resultsof last election
    i agree with some of you alan kelly to top poll
    with coonan coming in second
    which is a abd reflection on us
    i for one will not forgive or forget hocter or lowery
    so between ryan and morris for third seat
    i would be hoping for morris which would be some change for tipp nth
    imagine that electing a nationalist politican

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mccoist

who cares who they run
    come to think of it running them out of town would be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Kelly and lowery are certs to get in and everybody should vote strategicaly to keep ff out , payback time.

Lowery voting with the government makes him more a ff than an independant..so if ya want ff out..Lowery out too.not to mention that healy ray fella...no wonder the country is the way it is.....Independants and their parish politics.......

Yea,but i think it is wishful thinking getting him out,we have a shameful history in this respect,at least cooper flynn is going despite berties best efforts,if lowery didnt reach the quota he probaply would find it tough looking for transfers,but i cant see his vote down that much now that he has found another big buisness man to cling on to who may be able to offer crumbs to the serfs.

FF to run only one candidate in north Tipp. Will probably help them retain a seat. Think it'll be between their candidate and FG for the last seat. Be interesting to see if Hoctor gets the nomination. I wouldn't put much money on it.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/one-ff-candidate-to-run-in-tipp-north-2470022.html

Sensible move from FF, there may be enough for one candidate but just about.
    Definitely not enough for two

Nenagh Hospital has been a huge issue for Hoctor and that's where her support is.

Wouldn't be shocked to Michael Smith Jr get the nomination

Noel Coonan is vulnerable, yeah I agree he'll have to scrap it out with the FF candidate for the last seat

ff was always damned if they did and damned if they didnt,always thought one nom is their only chance but then they have no transfers coming from anywhere.Think smith will get the nom and will not poll enough and coonan might squeak it despite him not exactly blazing a trail.Therefore those who want to see ff out have a great opportunity in tipp to hold their vote til they see what way the land lies and then pounce.Whats the views here on will lowery exceed the quota or not.

Would be surprised if Smith Jnr got the nomination - or has he done something else besides ride his fathers coattails? Remember his father didn't even win the nomination at the last election - he came third with Hoctor first and think Harrington from Nenagh came second but he stood aside to let Smith run.

Then again Hoctor is after losing a lot of votes and I'd say a lot of people think she won't get elected so might nominate someone else. Interesting times ahead.

You think on a rising FG tide Noel Coonan would have a safe seat. The man is anonymous and seems a weak candidate. Have FG noone better in Tipp North?

As for Hoctor or Smith Jr? FF are a political machine, they'll make the choice they reckon will get a seat. Hoctors support from Nenagh has taken a nosedive and not necessarily over national issues, ye saw the eggs thrown on RTÉ News at Mary Harney at Nenagh Hospital last month

Lowery will top the poll and get his quota

And Alan Kelly will achieve what Kathleen O'Meara failed to achieve. Kathleen was a good candidate and an excellent senator, I don't know what her future plans are.

• Advertisement

Will Hoctors eletion vote suffer because of nomination for flip flop Hannifan.

Advertisement