Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary North election thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Any idea what way the Lowry vote will go in terms of #2s?

35.77% to Hoctor and Michael Smith
    22.10% to Coonan
    19.68% to Kathleen O'Meara

This time around you'd expect Alan Kelly to do better then Kathleen O'Meara
    And FF to get less transfers, well a lot of reasons but one is they only have one candidate
    http://electionsireland.org/transfers.cfm?election=2007&cons=218

What I'm reading from that is when Lowry makes the quota it'll be pretty evenly split among the others.
    It'll change from 2007 but I don't see one candidate getting a huge majority of the transfers above anyone else

it's probably just helpful for people in Tipp North to know what others think of them sending that corrupt clown into national government.

Where Tipperary leads, Ireland follows :cool:

There are a hundred reasons to reject Lowry at the polls, wondering what everyone else thinks of Tipperary isn't one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bepositive01

From the current cast of canidates running for election who has a record of getting things done in North Tipperary. You might not like him, but you must deal the cards you are dealt and Michael Lowry is the best on offer in North Tipperary I my opinion. His national ability as an independent is always going to be limited and as an independent he has to look after those who elect him. Marie Hoctor definitely dosen't inspire confidence, Noel Coonan again I couldn't see him making any great national decisions!!!!!!!!! People need to work for themselves their families and communities, the more working the more paying tax the lighter the load. ect ect
    Michael Lowry is a business man and understands the basics of economics, we need more people who want to get things done. Who else is going to get more done in North Tipperary than Michael Lowry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

From the current cast of canidates running for election who has a record of getting things done in North Tipperary. You might not like him, but you must deal the cards you are dealt and Michael Lowry is the best on offer in North Tipperary I my opinion. His national ability as an independent is always going to be limited and as an independent he has to look after those who elect him. Marie Hoctor definitely dosen't inspire confidence, Noel Coonan again I couldn't see him making any great national decisions!!!!!!!!! People need to work for themselves their families and communities, the more working the more paying tax the lighter the load. ect ect
    Michael Lowry is a business man and understands the basics of economics, we need more people who want to get things done. Who else is going to get more done in North Tipperary than Michael Lowry

Baloney.

Lowry supported FF/Green gov went it came to NAMA, the bank guarantee and all of the other stupid policies like the Croke Park agreement.
    He made the wrong decision for Ireland Ltd.

I also like my public representatives to abide by the rules of this State and to have paid their taxes and not to have operated an offshore bank account
    "the more paying tax the lighter the load. ect ect"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Michael Lowrys success in buisness seems more down to him latching on to a big buisness man when he sees him than his own stunning sucess in buisness."The more working the more paying tax" statement makes me laugh as regards to lowry,if we all follow his leadership nobody would pay tax or is that just for him and his big buisness men "friends",and as for standing up in the dail and telling bare faced lies and then getting found out and then shaming his party and his constuiency by getting kicked out,would not be a trait i would be looking for in a trusted representative.He is just as culpable as cowen,martin,healy rae for selling this country to the germans and french in the last 3 years but shure thats ok,he got the tax returns moved back to nov for farmers and saddled the self employed for extra money just before the election for his own narrow intrests,sure as long as he gets his secretary to fill in forms for me medical card because i cant be arsed, that he has serous findings coming out against him that is costing the beleagured tax payer €100s of millions.Oh,by the way,Doncaster rovers are doing well again thanks to an irish man in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

Ok since you are so against Lowry id like someone to give me one good reason why i would vote for one of the others, there doesn't seem to be any decent politician in North Tipp that i would think yep il be happy to give them my vote and see their party in power!

flipall wrote: »
    Ok since you are so against Lowry id like someone to give me one good reason why i would vote for one of the others, there doesn't seem to be any decent politician in North Tipp that i would think yep il be happy to give them my vote and see their party in power!
    I am not telling you who to vote for,in my view a decent TD is at the very least not a tax evader and i would rather not vote at all if i found myself a candidate that was not a notch up from that, but he wont be short of votes and will have no problems getting elected and i might not like it but thats democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Maybe Alan Kelly should have done what he had pledged to do and stayed in europe and we would have no intrest rate,and it does not say much for the debate,the much talked about faciliter,and most of all the other candidates if this comment was bypassed, except the fragrant miss Bopp who will get some no from me especially with her anti-EU stance.If this was said on the vincent browne show it would be national news the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

tipptom wrote: »
    Maybe Alan Kelly should have done what he had pledged to do and stayed in europe and we would have no intrest rate,and it does not say much for the debate,the much talked about faciliter,and most of all the other candidates if this comment was bypassed, except the fragrant miss Bopp who will get some no from me especially with her anti-EU stance.If this was said on the vincent browne show it would be national news the next day.
    what do you mean? if what was said on VB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

As an aside - has anyone got their polling cards yet ?

I see the postmen were on overtime today,nothing here yet - just curious.

(PS I know you don't need a card and I am on the register)

Seven Worlds will Collide

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    what do you mean? if what was said on VB?
    That Alan Kelly was told by Ollie Rehn personally that the intrest rate the EU was offering was much lower than FF had negotiated days later would be big news both for kelly and ff if it came out on a forum like vb.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mccoist

Lets face it fine gael are going to do well this election but when we look their representetive in nth tipp noel Coonan we are not getting the brighest shining light,
    I suppose Lowery is a defacto Fine Gael and in that respect they have a a good one even though he has a chequered history
    So two seats down so really not much of a change here then in Nth Tipp.

That Alan Kelly was told by Ollie Rehn personally that the intrest rate the EU was offering was much lower than FF had negotiated days later would be big news both for kelly and ff if it came out on a forum like vb.
    ok thanks for claryifying. was it mentioned in the election debate on Tipp FM?

mayhem# wrote: »
    no minnie,its from this tweet from kate bopp that mayhem kindly put up,co-incidentally she also tweeted that Michael lowry got an icy reception at the horse and jockey debate.

no minnie,its from this tweet from kate bopp that mayhem kindly put up,co-incidentally she also tweeted that Michael lowry got an icy reception at the horse and jockey debate.
    Ok have it now thanks;)

who will get some no from me especially with her anti-EU stance.

Is that a good or a bad thing?

Is that a good or a bad thing?
    Sorry,think i need to clarify that inso far as i dont think she is anti eu,more trying to stop them taking over great swathes of policy belonging to member countries,think she is an admirer of declan ganly.

@tipptom Not attacking you, just wanted to know what you meant.
    She's fairly clear on her EU position and outlines it on her website:
    "The EU was originally founded as an institute of economic cooperation and should return to this. The current situation where the EU government has direct influence on Irish internal policies, legislation and fiscal regime is no longer acceptable and must change. The EU should revert to a system of mutual cooperation rather than the current top-down dictation."

Lets face the truth here,
    the following three will be elected
    ALAN KELLY
    MICHAEL LOWERY
    NOEL COONAN
    This is our team of elected peole going to represent us in the dail and even work on hopefully re-negotiating the interset rate of the bailout
    Good thing i suppose no FF
    Ah but hang on was michael lowery not part of the last FF led goverment which has been so disasterous for ireland
    And wasnt he ousted from a previous FG party in recent years
    Noel Coonan who is he, I know he is FG but he certainly no the brightest loudest actually not new been around quietly for years
    Alan Kelly definately offers a bit more, seems to be the best option

I presume in my cynical attitude towards our closeted inward looking conservative political system, there are others who are as disappointed as me as the outcome of this election
    Even though we havent had election yet

• Advertisement

@tipptom Not attacking you, just wanted to know what you meant.
    She's fairly clear on her EU position and outlines it on her website:
    I may be wrong but i would take from that that she was not anti eu but is not in favour of this near direct rule from the eu especialy towards the smaller troublesome colonys and go back to a real free trade and a proper friendly alliance among countries.
    Just on the lowry thing,i think its very possible that FG will not hit the 83 seats needed and they could possibly get their old friend to cobble up independants and we have direct rule from planet lowry,healy rae jnr again,i know its a stretch but could be possible,FG get him back in to the party without saying they took back in an unscrupolus politician and while not officialy would be in cabinet.oh jaysus,i think i stayed out to late last night.

I may be wrong but i would take from that that she was not anti eu but is not in favour of this near direct rule from the eu especialy towards the smaller troublesome colonys and go back to a real free trade and a proper friendly alliance among countries.
    Just on the lowry thing,i think its very possible that FG will not hit the 83 seats needed and they could possibly get their old friend to cobble up independants and we have direct rule from planet lowry,healy rae jnr again,i know its a stretch but could be possible,FG get him back in to the party without saying they took back in an unscrupolus politician and while not officialy would be in cabinet.oh jaysus,i think i stayed out to late last night.

You're spot on with her EU stance. She is pro-EU but not in it's current "top-down" stance. The EU needs to go back to being a cooperative rather than a dictatorship seems to be her position.

As for Lowry; he will get a seat and he will sell his vote to the highest bidder. Some things will take a long while to change. He's a man with no principles and only his self interest in mind...

You're spot on with her EU stance. She is pro-EU but not in it's current "top-down" stance. The EU needs to go back to being a cooperative rather than a dictatorship seems to be her position.

As for Lowry; he will get a seat and he will sell his vote to the highest bidder. Some things will take a long while to change. He's a man with no principles and only his self interest in mind...
    Jays,if that scenario worked out i think O Keefes crazy "coup detat" statement might not be that far of,people would go bannanas,should be put to Inda to see what he says.Hope "the storm the bastille" doesnt start now,im not in the riot mode this morning,maybe tomorrow.

So lowery will sell out to highest bidder
    What will coonan do, nothing
    Fine Gael will cleanup ff left behind with the help of labour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Word on the street is that Kelly is losing ground rapidly. His performance was very bad on the TippFM debate apparently and he came across as angry and very arrogant. The swing against Labour is also doing him no favours and neither is the fact that he can fly back to Brussels unscathed after the Election if he doesn't get in. People don't like that he held onto his seat on there to see how the General Election would go.
    Equally, it seems to be Morris and not Coonan that's picking up the slack. Morris has performed well across the board and, while some may have issues with SF in general, they feel Morris would be a good, outspoken representative for North Tipperary, especially if he was on the opposition benches.
    Typical North Tipperary - it won't be over till the fat lady sings as they say!

I have to agree with you about a seeming swing in the minds of people on the election but i detected a dislike for lowery, it seems people will not for get he backed the ff while in goverment anf the fg do seem to have returned to their true roots and coonan is benifiting
    S Morris does seem to be gaining a vote of confidence as is new to the scene k bopp
    maybe we will have an interesting result afterall

mccoist wrote: »
    coonan is benifiting

If FG gave us a better candidate then Noel Coonan it's possible they might beat Lowry.
    I'm gonna stroll over to the county council website and see what councillors they have.
    I don't accept Coonan is the best FG public rep in Tipp North, very weak backbencher and he'll never achieve much
    S Morris does seem to be gaining a vote of confidence

Dark horse alright.
    Don't see him getting elected but he'll do very well
    Actually if Kelly from Portroe wasn't running, then Morris could well be elected, lots of Hoctor votes to sweep up.

I always liked and respected Kathleen O'Meara but it just never worked out for her

I agree with you on the kathleen omeara
    see earlier post i wondered why she was not running
    I belive fine gael had woman counciller in ballina who command a deal of respect, name slips by me
    I also agree with you on the hocter vote where will it go will nenagh people vote for nenagh person then Morris will benifit
    But i get a sense that lowery vote is slipping in nenagh and will not be as strong as predicted
    For the sake of having an interesting election I hope I am right
    Whats relly interesting about Nth Tipp is the fact that it can be argued that our choice of candidate is limited hence interesting

Whats relly interesting about Nth Tipp is the fact that it can be argued that our choice of candidate is limited hence interesting

We're limited alright, a three seater and nobody with running mates.

If we had a strong FG candidate I'd vote for them. As backbenchers go, Coonan is way down near the bottom. It won't be Minister Coonan for a long, long time. Or I'd vote for Kathleen O'Meara before Alan Kelly
    As it is, I don't like any of our candidates :(

And I'm not alone! Tipp North, always a FF stronghold is being changed and our poll topper, the bould Michael Lowry is losing control but he'll still get his quota
    Going to be an incredibly interesting election! And Seamie Morris from Nenagh is going to suprise lots of people but not the informed folks here of course :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Kathleen O'Meara was a truly dedicated politician and she genuinely did have peoples best interest at heart. It was her involvement and hard work that got the Nenagh Hospital Action Group up and running and Alan Kelly is just cashing in on that work. Kathleen fought three very hard campaigns but everything was against her - Labour was not doing well, Fianna Fail was running high and Lowry was on top of his game. If Kathleen was running this time I think that she would be a certainty. It was her votes that elected Hoctor last time out, it would probably have worked in reverse this time. Alan Kelly is not a patch on her and his only aim is personal success and victory. But I think people may well be beginning to realise that.

Advertisement