Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary North election thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭beagga

tipptom wrote: »
    LOL,somebody said there should be a methdone treatment to wean them of ff,but can hoctor reduce what was nearly 14000 votes in the last election by half,is that possible even in these extradinary times?.

I know you mean between the two candidates.
    Hoctor on her own only got 7,374 1st and 10,167 by count 6. She didn't reach the quota to get elected.
    I'd say she'll still pull 5 - 6,000 1st preferences from the hard core FFer's but the tranfers will be interesting. I reckon she'll pull next to nothing on transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrs A

Hi

Does anyone have an email address or phone number for this Independent Candidate as I want to invite him to a meeting along with other candidates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 artnenagh

Donal J Regan is not running, as I understand. We invited him to the election debate in Nenagh Arts Centre on Thursday 10th Feb., however he informed me today that he won't be standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I'd have to see Mr Lowry's tax clearance certificate before considering him for a vote.

Coonan will be getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Two more independents have declared, so the final line-up for North Tipp - South Offaly is:

Bopp, Kate (Ind) http://katebopp.com/
    Clancy, Billy (Ind) http://www.billyclancy.com/
    Coonan, Noel (FG) http://www.noelcoonan.com/
    Hoctor, Maire (FF) http://www.mairehoctor.ie/
    Kelly, Alan (Lab) http://www.alankelly.ie/
    Lowry, Michael (Ind) http://www.michaellowry.ie/
    Morris, Seamus (SF) http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/19957
    O'Malley, Olwyn (Green) http://vote.greenparty.ie/tipperary-north/olwyn-o039malley

EDIT: O'Regan, Donal (Ind) NOT RUNNING.

• Advertisement

artnenagh wrote: »
    Donal J Regan is not running, as I understand. We invited him to the election debate in Nenagh Arts Centre on Thursday 10th Feb., however he informed me today that he won't be standing.
    EDIT: O'Regan, Donal (Ind) NOT RUNNING.
    Already declared are sitting TDs Noel Coonan, Michael Lowry and Maire Hoctor, who has been joined in the line-up by MEP Alan Kelly for Labour; Cllr Seamus Morris, Sinn Fein; Olwyn O'Malley for the Green Party; Thurles-based Independent councillor Billy Clancy, who is on the New Vision ticket, and Independent Donal O'Regan, Templemore
    Is O'Regan running or not?................:confused:

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/General-Election--Battle-Royale.6714620.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrs A

Thanks ArtNenagh for the info on Donal O'Regan - can't get that info confirmed at the minute, looks like he won't be coming.

Thanks anyway.

I spoke to Donal O'Regan in person today. He's definitely not running, didn't get the paperwork submitted.

I spoke to Donal O'Regan in person today. He's definitely not running, didn't get the paperwork submitted.

Right, that clears it up, not the first time the tipperary star has gotten it wrong........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

hinault wrote: »
    I'd have to see Mr Lowry's tax clearance certificate before considering him for a vote.
    lol
    Coonan will be getting my vote.
    heard him on tradio boasting about making rep for amedical card for someone. anyone who is entitled to a medical card can get it without any TD.people should grow up and stop givingheir power to gombeen like 'dockaments' lowry and coonan

• Advertisement

beagga wrote: »
    Right, that clears it up, not the first time the tipperary star has gotten it wrong........:D

In fairness, Donal O'Regan did declare he was running, it was Tue evening before he was saying otherwise. A run for the Seanad seems to be his plan, although I'm not sure how well-thought out that is seeing as it might not be in existence should Labour get their way.

Agree about the Star though, breaking news is not their specialty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wrote a letter to Coonan, Hoctor and Lowry before Christmas on a national issue. It was to do with An Post and deregulation

A response was recieved from all.
    Tbh, Hoctor was the only one with dates and times of meetings attended, where it was in the Seanad and what the party whip was doing. Best letter by far

The letter from Lowry was waffle, nothing on it.

The letter from Coonan misspelled my name :mad:
    How do you mess that up when my name and address was given? Lack of attention to detail there. Realy there was nothing on it, just a standard FG press release answer.

Every month and every week Coonan is going down in my estimation.
    He will be elected but he is damn lucky to get there, would like to support his party and leader but Coonan doesn't fill me with confidence :(

I'm certain there is a FG councillor in North Tipp who could trounce him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

The letter from Coonan misspelled my name :mad:
    How do you mess that up when my name and address was given? Lack of attention to detail there. Realy there was nothing on it, just a standard FG press release answer.

I agree totally with the sentiments expressed.

However, I just couldn't resist pointing this out ;)

Yes realy.
    Realy is fine to use, no difference between really/realy

Have you an opinion on the candidates?
    Being near Naynagh ;), any opinions on Hoctor and Kelly from Portroe?

jprboy wrote: »
    I agree totally with the sentiments expressed.

However, I just couldn't resist pointing this out ;)

Difference being, one is a post on the interweb, the other is an official missive from a public representative. Netiquette allows for typos, etiquette for official communications does not. silly mistake by Coonan (or more likely his office administrator).

Was anyone at the debate on Thursday? I couldn't make it to Nenagh, would love if they toured the rest of the constituency doing this. I like the town hall meetings of the US system, really gives people a chance to ask questions and see the candidates in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

There's a similar debate in Roscrea on this coming Wednesday night at 8p.m. in Grants Hotel. That's the only other one I know of, except for a live one planned on TippFM during (I think) the week of the Election itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mccoist

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    lol
    It was really funny watching lowery,s people canvass dunne store shoppers sat night in nenagh,people seem to to more annoyed as they went about their shopping

Could not agree more on the subject of TD,s bragging about doing small things for people who are entitled by law of the land to receive these items anyway,
    Will be looking with interest at all the candidates and considering trip to grants hotel on weds night.

Shazanne wrote: »
    There's a similar debate in Roscrea on this coming Wednesday night at 8p.m. in Grants Hotel. That's the only other one I know of, except for a live one planned on TippFM during (I think) the week of the Election itself.
    chaired by the politician teacher no doubt, telling them how to answer his questions:D

Not sure I get that? The Roscrea one will be Chaired by John Lupton, no doubt, who has Chaired all of them is the past. Who are you referring to?

• Advertisement

Not sure I get that? The Roscrea one will be Chaired by John Lupton, no doubt, who has Chaired all of them is the past. Who are you referring to?
    my apologies mixed up with south tipp the journalist from tipp fm runs junkets for councillors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

im suprised how a crook like lowry runs in this constituency and still gets elected. do the people of north tipp have any brass at all?

I think that, before you ask that question, you first need to ask if they have any choice! Let's face it, the current line up leaves alot to be desired. At least if you ask Lowry what he's done for the constituency he can give an answer - what can any of the other say in honesty?
    By the way, I am not a Lowry voter. In fact I dont vote in that constituency any more. But my roots and my heart are firmly in North Tipp!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I think that, before you ask that question, you first need to ask if they have any choice! Let's face it, the current line up leaves alot to be desired. At least if you ask Lowry what he's done for the constituency he can give an answer - what can any of the other say in honesty?
    By the way, I am not a Lowry voter. In fact I dont vote in that constituency any more. But my roots and my heart are firmly in North Tipp!

the guys a crook, hes proven that. if he gets voted in again its saying thats acceptable.
    your probably right though. u get who u vote for and the irish people can blame no one else but themselves for the mess we're in

paky wrote: »
    the guys a crook, hes proven that. if he gets voted in again its saying thats acceptable.
    voting him in the last time was saying thats acceptable

paky wrote: »

And your point is?........ Lets be honest does that make him any different from most of the other politicians we have elected anywhere in Ireland. We just know about his wrong doings?..........:D
    As Shazanne said look at the alternatives for the people of North Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

beagga wrote: »
    And your point is?........ Lets be honest does that make him any different from most of the other politicians we have elected anywhere in Ireland. We just know about his wrong doings?..........:D
    As Shazanne said look at the alternatives for the people of North Tipp.
    Well,i think when any paper in the land can print that michael lowry is a proven liar and a tax cheat which is on record and that goes on to be condoned by the voters of north tipp every time by not just being elected like before these incidents but exceeding the quota ever since reflects badly on the people of north tipp regardless of voting for him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

Donal Reegan isnt running because of the funds needed, I think people of North Tipp have issues with all of the candidates, i know none of them have done anything for me! Alan kelly seems to have lost an awful lot of support and respect in the Nenagh area?!

tipptom wrote: »
    Well,i think when any paper in the land can print that michael lowry is a proven liar and a tax cheat

My point is that he is no different from any other politician.
    A proven liar, how many of them do you know that tell the truth?
    Don't tell me you believe what any of them are telling you?

And yes he cheated his taxes but is he really that different from the ones who are/will waste our tax payers money by, limo's across airports when there is a free shuttle available, using the government helicopter to open an off licence, ministerial cars and drivers being used to drop kids to school/ wives to shops, unnecessary junkets with family members all around the world, getting pissed on the government credit card, etc etc etc

I think what he did was a wrong but they're nearly all at it in some way or another, we just don't know the half of it.
    Its who do you pick from a bad lot in my book

• Advertisement

flipall wrote: »
    Alan kelly seems to have lost an awful lot of support and respect in the Nenagh area?!

This a new development? Sure he's from just outside Nenagh in Portroe.

Has there been a major gaffe from him?

Advertisement