Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary North election thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

tipptom wrote: »
    michael lowry ...exceeding the quota ever since reflects badly on the people of north tipp regardless of voting for him or not.
    Can't see how it reflects badly on all of us. The quota is what, under 11,000 votes? I've never been one of Lowry's 11,000, neither have thousands of other Tipp people. Unfortunately the system doesn't allow you to vote against people, if it did you'd see very different results for Lowry.
    flipall wrote: »
    Alan kelly seems to have lost an awful lot of support and respect in the Nenagh area?!
    Why's that? I'm currently planning on giving him my #1. What's being said in Nenagh about him?

beagga wrote: »
    My point is that he is no different from any other politician.
    A proven liar, how many of them do you know that tell the truth?
    Don't tell me you believe what any of them are telling you?

And yes he cheated his taxes but is he really that different from the ones who are/will waste our tax payers money by, limo's across airports when there is a free shuttle available, using the government helicopter to open an off licence, ministerial cars and drivers being used to drop kids to school/ wives to shops, unnecessary junkets with family members all around the world, getting pissed on the government credit card, etc etc etc

I think what he did was a wrong but they're nearly all at it in some way or another, we just don't know the half of it.
    Its who do you pick from a bad lot in my book

Difference being that with Lowry, it got so blatant that he had to be investigated, he has been before a tribunal, he is a confirmed tax fraud. You can have all the suspicions you like about people but when someone has actually been publicly exposed in the courts they should no longer be allowed to hold office. My issue is with the tax evasion, not with other allegations.

In the interests of fairness, here is a link to Lowry's defense at the Moriarty Tribunal last year. People who don't understand why people still stand by Lowry should read it:
    http://thestory.ie/2010/01/13/michael-lowrys-statement-prior-to-moriarty-tribunal-report/
    He is a poor beleaguered victim. It would make you want to give him a hug. Don't underestimate this man, he is is probably the savviest politician in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If it wasn't for all this, Lowry would have been the first Taoiseach ever from Tipperary.

A high profile minister and I'm certain he would have been made leader of the party someday

Yes, a savvy politican.
    Seems I'm obliged to say I never voted for him.
    But he was heading for the top before all this happened

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭beagga

Difference being that with Lowry, it got so blatant that he had to be investigated, he has been before a tribunal, he is a confirmed tax fraud. You can have all the suspicions you like about people but when someone has actually been publicly exposed in the courts they should no longer be allowed to hold office.

Thats a fair point, but I also think that the people who waste our taxpayers money for their own personal gain shouldn't be re-elected by the general public. They're just as bad in my book.

Alan kelly seems to have lost an awful lot of support and respect in the Nenagh area?!

I'm disappointed to hear this as I was hoping that he would give mr lowry a run to top the poll.

• Advertisement

I'm disappointed to hear this as I was hoping that he would give mr lowry a run to top the poll.

Have to say that I've been impressed by the amount of support Alan Kelly seems to have gained in the county, especially around Thurles. I haven't heard anyone saying they've lost respect for him, which is why I hope flipall will post further details as I have yet to find a reason not to vote for him. Apparently Kelly is also set to make some sort of an announcement tonight in Nenagh - not sure what it is about but possibly jobs or infrastructure related.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

Im not from the Nenagh area myself but i have asked a lot of peoples opinions from the area and not one that i have asked is going to vote for him, maybe its a minority in the area but for me it reflected on the area as a whole, people are under the illusion that he is less concerned with his local area when getting jobs done and his announcement tonight is clearly great timing :rolleyes:

Apparently Kelly is also set to make some sort of an announcement tonight in Nenagh.

Interesting, If you hear what it is make sure to keep us informed.

people are under the illusion that he is less concerned with his local area when getting jobs done

Funny, most people I know are complaining in the other direction, that the TDs are too concerned with county council issues and not enough concerned with national ones. If people are concerned with their local area they should be putting pressure on their local level politicians, not their TD. TDs shouldn't have anything to do with planning permission or individuals' college grants or getting a medical card for someone - there are other people paid to do those things. TDs need to focus on national politics. I think we've really seen the effects of electing incompetent people to the national stage. Messing up there means messing up for everyone in every constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mccoist

Funny, most people I know are complaining in the other direction, that the TDs are too concerned with county council issues and not enough concerned with national ones. If people are concerned with their local area they should be putting pressure on their local level politicians, not their TD. TDs shouldn't have anything to do with planning permission or individuals' college grants or getting a medical card for someone - there are other people paid to do those things. TDs need to focus on national politics. I think we've really seen the effects of electing incompetent people to the national stage. Messing up there means messing up for everyone in every constituency.

do i detect a little bit of rumour mongering from flipall,lol.
    Alan Kelly will win Nth Tipp ,there is no bad vibe in nenagh towards Alan,
    Quiet the opposite in fact,
    there maybe a little bit of aminosity towards Lowery though, despite what he said ,he did support the closing of A/E, he was rumoured to have lost his base support in thurles and people maybe tired of the antics and baggage he carries with him,
    all i say is vote the same get the same
    i hope Sheamy Morris gets the third seat,
    A strong sinn fein in the dail will keep the usual suspects on their toes
    that is about the best change we can make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Im not from the Nenagh area myself but i have asked a lot of peoples opinions from the area and not one that i have asked is going to vote for him, maybe its a minority in the area but for me it reflected on the area as a whole, people are under the illusion that he is less concerned with his local area when getting jobs done and his announcement tonight is clearly great timing :rolleyes:

I have heard the same reaction to Alan Kelly in Nenagh. People think that because he walked away from the Senate to go to Europe and gave a commitment to represent Ireland South for five years, but is now walking away from that as well, that he cannot be trusted. They feel he is only in it for himself and just to prove he can win if he wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Shazanne wrote: »
    I have heard the same reaction to Alan Kelly in Nenagh. People think that because he walked away from the Senate to go to Europe and gave a commitment to represent Ireland South for five years, but is now walking away from that as well, that he cannot be trusted. They feel he is only in it for himself and just to prove he can win if he wants to.

That 'reaction' to Alan Kelly comes directly fro Fianna Fail as it seems to be a tactic to damage him.
    However, when the FFers are reminded that Mick O'Kennedy resigned a Commissioners position in Europe to contest for a Dail seat in Nth Tipp,
    they dont want to say any more.

No my friends, there is no animosity to Alan Kelly in Nenagh orr anywhere else.
    A good Man who deserves support.

I am simply saying what I have heard. And I did not hear it from Fianna Fail people. I heard it discussed in a house in Capparoe from people who are/were Labour supporters. I have made a genuine comment on what was related to me and was simply endorsing what had been said in a previous post. The truth is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Noel Coonan's canvassers decided to canvas here in Thurles yesterday (Sunday 13th Feb).

However to decide to canvass in the middle of the Ireland V France rugby match???:mad::mad::mad:

I felt like clocking them when they called to the door just as Tomas O'leary scored his try.:mad:

hinault wrote: »
    Noel Coonan's canvassers decided to canvas here in Thurles yesterday (Sunday 13th Feb).

However to decide to canvass in the middle of the Ireland V France rugby match???:mad::mad::mad:

I felt like clocking them when they called to the door just as Tomas O'leary scored his try.:mad:

No vote for Noel in your house so:D:D:D

Alan Kelly's announcement today was regarding a €1million investment program for high-potential business in North Tipp. While the announcement of this now so close to election day is certainly opportunistic/fortuitous (depending on your leanings) it has apparently been 7 months in the making. Link to the full announcement:
    http://www.alankelly.ie/press/national/129770551311489337.html
    Labour MEP, Alan Kelly, today launched the 'Invest North Tipp' partnership which aims to finance high potential growth companies to establish themselves in North Tipperary. It is the first time an investment partnership has been put in place for Tipperary according to Alan Kelly, who spearheaded the initiative.
    Two leading investment companies, Ronoc and Tolisons, have earmarked €1 million euro that will be made available to high potential, export orientated companies based in North Tipperary or willing to re-locate there.
    The companies would take a shareholding in the chosen company and the scheme would be focused on key potential growth areas of the local economy, namely: pharmaceuticals, medical devices, ICT and cleantech (including renewable energy and waste-energy conversion).
    The partnership came about following research commissioned by Alan Kelly identifying the obstacles that prevent Irish companies from growing beyond a small base.
    A website www.investnorthtipp.com will be up and running and taking applications for the partnership in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

No vote for Noel in your house so:D:D:D

Naw, I still give him my No1 vote.

Even though his timing is appalling:)

Independent candidate Kate Bopp seems to be closely aligned to the Libertas school of thought on Europe and lists Declan Ganley as one of her most important political influences. Shame, I was really thinking of giving her a vote. Might interest those of you for whom EU membership is an issue (pro or anti groups).

Does anyone know anything about Billy Clancy beyond what is on his website?

Does anyone know anything about Billy Clancy beyond what is on his website?

Not alot, except that he has proven himself to be a good, out-spoken and hard-working County Councillor. Is a genuine man and very determined. Other than that I cant help you.

• Advertisement

Not alot, except that he has proven himself to be a good, out-spoken and hard-working County Councillor. Is a genuine man and very determined. Other than that I cant help you.

This is the trouble with being in a rural constituency. We are so tribal that we know very little about what goes on in the rest of the county. Sometimes I think that living in the Thurles area is like living on an island -we're too far from Nenagh and Clonmel to take any real interest in anything that goes on there and if people from Thurles need to go to a bigger town for anything they're more likely to go to Limerick or Kilkenny than anywhere in Tipp. It probably helps the Lowry vote too.

Is that you Mrs Clancy?.......:D

This is the trouble with being in a rural constituency. We are so tribal that we know very little about what goes on in the rest of the county. Sometimes I think that living in the Thurles area is like living on an island -we're too far from Nenagh and Clonmel to take any real interest in anything that goes on there and if people from Thurles need to go to a bigger town for anything they're more likely to go to Limerick or Kilkenny than anywhere in Tipp. It probably helps the Lowry vote too.

I think that could br true for most of the country. I mean the only reason that people in the rest of the country know about north tipp is because of mr lowrys shady dealings.

The candidate debate that Tipp FM is broadcasting on Saturday at 11am is open to the public. It will be held in the Horse & Jockey Hotel. There is no admission fee but people should come early if they want a seat, broadcasting begins at 11, audience members should be seated before then.

Sorry, I'm all over this thread.

Ivan Yates on Newstalk predicts the results for North Tipp-South Offaly:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/news/ivan%E2%80%99s-daily-constituency-predictions/
    This is before D. O'Regan dropped out and B. Clancy & K. Bopp declared. Yates calls it for Lowry, gives Coonan the second, thinks Kelly will scrape the third as many FFers are annoyed than Smith didn't get the nod ahead of (or as well as) Hoctor.

^^Your link doesn't work for me Cat

^^Your link doesn't work for me Cat

It was earlier, sorry. Weird stuff going on on the Newstalk website - I'll leave the broken link there for now, will update it when they've updated the site and I can find the new one. None of their constituency profiles are accessible at the moment.

EDIT: Link is working again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Works fine now.
    Ivan Yates is a smart guy, pretty clued in

Edit, now they've taken it down again.
    What's going on with the website, seems they're updating and rearranging it constantly.
    Bit of a mess realy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

The candidate debate that Tipp FM is broadcasting on Saturday at 11am is open to the public. It will be held in the Horse & Jockey Hotel. There is no admission fee but people should come early if they want a seat, broadcasting begins at 11, audience members should be seated before then.
    chaired by the tipp fm 'journalist' who runs junkets for councillors

http://www.kadenzaconsultancies.com/...ng_Feb2010.pdf

“Local radio and the
    Councillor”
    Speaker Mr. Seamus Martin
    Tipp FM

what a joke

• Advertisement

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    chaired by the tipp fm 'journalist' who runs junkets for councillors

http://www.kadenzaconsultancies.com/...ng_Feb2010.pdf

“Local radio and the
    Councillor”
    Speaker Mr. Seamus Martin
    Tipp FM

what a joke

Severely off topic minny minor. You might have issues with Seamus Martin, what they are is not obvious from what you've posted above. If you need to pursue this could you please open a separate thread? It is of little relevance to the discussion of the candidates or the election.

Advertisement