Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary North election thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

They're all getting their announcements in:
    14/02/2011 - New €1m national school for Silvermines - Hoctor

THE long awaited construction of a new primary school in Silvermines village is set to go ahead this month. North Tipperary/South Offaly Dáil deputy, Máire Hoctor has confirmed that the Department of Education have accepted the lowest tender for the construction of a new national school in the village. “The Department has given the go-ahead for construction of a new school with three mainstream classrooms, a General Purpose room, Learning Support Room & staffroom,” Deputy Hoctor said.
    Confirming that the final price tag will be in the region of one million euro, Deputy Hoctor added that she “worked intensively hard on this project and worked closely with the Minister, the Department & Board of Management to secure the funding".
    Link to full story:
    http://www.mairehoctor.ie/news-article.php?item=201000419

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

Severely off topic minny minor. You might have issues with Seamus Martin, what they are is not obvious from what you've posted above. If you need to pursue this could you please open a separate thread? It is of little relevance to the discussion of the candidates or the election.
    not off topic relevant to the discussion. how can someone doing junkets with councillors be independent?

They're all getting their announcements in:

Link to full story:
    http://www.mairehoctor.ie/news-article.php?item=201000419
    thye are like a biunch of children with their announcements of who claims to have done what. tomorrow lowry or that coonan muppet will be claiming credit

Alan Kelly is appearing on Prime Time again tonight, 9.30pm RTE1.

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    not off topic relevant to the discussion. how can someone doing junkets with councillors be independent?
    The councillors choose to go on these training course. He doesn't force them on to it. Councillors from all political parties and none are free to attend. He is the most clued in current affairs journalist in the county. He has chaired such debates before and has been proven to be impartial. the public get to set the questions. Can't see an issue.

• Advertisement

The councillors choose to go on these training course. He doesn't force them on to it. Councillors from all political parties and none are free to attend. He is the most clued in current affairs journalist in the county. He has chaired such debates before and has been proven to be impartial. the public get to set the questions. Can't see an issue.
    nonsense. proven by who to be impartial?
    anyone who is making money doing junkets is not impartial. Or maybe you agree with councillors going on junkets? he would be the first to judge them or anyone else with a conflict of interest as he has giving soft interviews to the candidates on radio

Seriously minny minor, can you not take this to another thread? Teaching radio communications once in a blue moon to councillors has nothing to do with the election of TDs or the chairing of this debate.

Seriously minny minor, can you not take this to another thread? Teaching radio communications once in a blue moon to councillors has nothing to do with the election of TDs or the chairing of this debate.
    are you a mod? how do ypou know it is once in a blue moon?if you have a problem why not report it. i consider it a pa rt of the debate

peple who gain are not impartial. can you give proof of the impartiality you speak of

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭beagga

chaired by the tipp fm 'journalist' who runs junkets for councillors

http://www.kadenzaconsultancies.com/...ng_Feb2010.pdf

“Local radio and the
    Councillor”
    Speaker Mr. Seamus Martin
    Tipp FM

what a joke

TBH MinnyMinor I don't think seamus martin runs these junkets.
    Is he not just a paid speaker for an hour at these and not actually organising them?
    I'd say his contact with the politicians is very limited as he seems to be only speaking for an hour.

I don't actually listen to him often on the radio as I don't like his attitude that much. He can be very agressive towards callers.
    I will however listen on saturday morning.

beagga wrote: »
    TBH MinnyMinor I don't think seamus martin runs these junkets.
    i nver said he ran them
    Is he not just a paid speaker for an hour at these and not actually organising them?
    and waht would he speak about in a talk entitled local radio and the councillor
    I'd say his contact with the politicians is very limited as he seems to be only speaking for an hour.
    hyou'd say? do you know that?my point isif he is getting paid to deliver junkets to politicians he is not impartial. he would be the first
    I don't actually listen to him often on the radio as I don't like his attitude that much. He can be very agressive towards callers.
    unless the caller is someone who has bought an ad then thye get an easy ride as do politicans. also he is very smug like to give the impresssion he is some sort of power in tipp .

he likes to pretend he is the only one who can get an answer, believes his own pr. but when the tippfm dj was in court they kept it quiet until they knew he was not found guilty and claimed they had no reporter to cover court:D
    I will however listen on saturday morning.
    if people think that any question they can put to a td there will make any difference then there is no wonder the country is in such a state. politicans do not care and are only after a soft job and trying to tell people they need them to get a medical card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I agree with the comment that this particular conversation has little to do with the thread in general and looks like a vendetta against Seamus Martin, for whatever reason.
    However, if you think about it, who else would Chair a political debate on TippFM? They are not exactly over-staffed in there from what I know.
    Plus, local Councillors are generally not great when it comes to dealing with the media and they don't have the back-up of press officers like their senior colleagues do. I think they would jump at the chance to improve their media skills, be in on radio or in print, and I don't see what all the fuss is about. If Saemus Martin or any other journalist can deliver such a talk and the Councillors want to hear it, it's not big deal really.
    Now let's move on to discuss the main issue here - North Tipperary and the fast approaching General Election!

chaired by the tipp fm 'journalist' who runs junkets for councillors
    i nver said he ran them

My apologies were you referring to some other journalist when you posted this?

and waht would he speak about in a talk entitled local radio and the councillor

As you said he talks about the local radio and the councillor, are you trying to say he will be more favourable to someone who attended this junket than someone who didn't?
    hyou'd say? do you know that?my point isif he is getting paid to deliver junkets to politicians he is not impartial. he would be the first

I don't know, in fairness by the link you put up he is only down to talk for one hour from the day long junket, I just doubted that he hung around all day to chat to the politicians at the tea breaks.
    unless the caller is someone who has bought an ad then thye get an easy ride as do politicans. also he is very smug like to give the impresssion he is some sort of power in tipp .

he likes to pretend he is the only one who can get an answer, believes his own pr. but when the tippfm dj was in court they kept it quiet until they knew he was not found guilty and claimed they had no reporter to cover court:D

Agree with you there he does be on the old power trip at times all right.

Shazanne wrote: »
    I agree with the comment that this particular conversation has little to do with the thread in general and looks like a vendetta against Seamus Martin, for whatever reason.

We are discussing if Seamus Martin is the best choice as the referee for saturdays debate between the candidates for north Tipperary.
    My understanding from MinnyMinor is that because Seamus Martin talks at these Seminars for politicians he will not be impartial.
    I don't see how that is not relevant to this tipperary north election thread.

Also as I have stated I don't like to listen to seamus martin (I will however listen to him on sat) but I certainly have no personal vendetta against him (I don't even know the man) and I do hope you were not referring to me.

We are discussing if Seamus Martin is the best choice as the referee for saturdays debate between the candidates for north Tipperary.
    My understanding from MinnyMinor is that because Seamus Martin talks at these Seminars for politicians he will not be impartial.
    I don't see how that is not relevant to this tipperary north election thread.

Also as I have stated I don't like to listen to seamus martin (I will however listen to him on sat) but I certainly have no personal vendetta against him (I don't even know the man) and I do hope you were not referring to me.
    and i hope shazanne was not referring to me as having a vendetta because i question his impartiality.

My apologies were you referring to some other journalist when you posted this?
    no i am referring to SM but he does not run the junkets he takes part. He is paid for this and so i do not think he is impartial
    As you said he talks about the local radio and the councillor, are you trying to say he will be more favourable to someone who attended this junket than someone who didn't?
    i am saying that when you work in an area like that and say profit by giving a talk to councillor A that makes you not impartail to councilor A and his/her colleagues. i am sure they talk and get to know each other too
    I don't know, in fairness by the link you put up he is only down to talk for one hour from the day long junket, I just doubted that he hung around all day to chat to the politicians at the tea breaks.
    he got paid will he then risk a future payment by grilling them or give soft interviews. if he grills one who has been to a talk will his coleagues go in the future
    Agree with you there he does be on the old power trip at times all right.
    god love him
    edit i do not know him either if by know you mean know personally. i know of him and to sometimes hear him on radio, not often, much to smug for me

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mccoist

i do not know who he is
    interesting to see hoctor in fifth place
    reading into it it looks like maire last stand will leave us with lowery getting re,elected
    how bizarre we must look to the country when we in nth tipp cannot move beyond looking at new young people and giving them a chance
    Hopefully shamy morris and sinnfein will give a big drive and try to make a bit of history confining the politicians who oversaw our country getting heavily into debt with huge pensions to boot
    It just makes you so annoyed at our complacency
    VOTE THE SAME
    GET THE SAME

he got paid will he then risk a future payment by grilling them or give soft interviews. if he grills one who has been to a talk will his coleagues go in the future

Maybe he should grill them and make it very difficult for them, then when the debate is over hand them leaflets on the seminars and tell them they could do better if they attended one of these.............:D

Maybe he should grill them and make it very difficult for them, then when the debate is over hand them leaflets on the seminars and tell them they could do better if they attended one of these.............:D
    :D:D:D:D still think itis not right tho. once heard him interviewing someone giving out about councillors going on junkets and he said he had to decalre he was for them as he had an interest - or words to that effect

. so i say in that interview he was not an impartial interviewer and is not an impartial interviewer of politicians or as presenterof the meet on sat
    i also know from people who have rang that show that critical remarks are not aired and they like to pretend everyone loves them

Leaving aside who would be the best referee for the debate,
    Who do ye think will be the best speaker at it.
    Lowry with all his experience on radio, public appearances etc
    Kelly now doing a lot of live TV apperances
    Hoctor as a sitting TD should be well able for it
    Coonan would have my own doubts
    Morris as mayor of Tipp North should be well used to public speaking
    Clancy, Bopp or O'Malley I don't know (anyone?)

Actually are they ALL going to be there?

I'm not referring to anyone - just making the point that this particular discussion is taking away from the purpose of this thread - but that's just my opinion.
    From what I understand from their advertisments for Saturday, Seamus Martin will simply be carrying the mic around to the public, who will ask the questions. I'm sure the public will keep him in check if they feel he is showing any favouritism to any particular candidate. He wont be on his own there, as he in in the studio.
    Also, and I say it again, giving a talk to Councillors on the workings of the media does not make a journalist biased towards any particular candidate/party. Who else is better qualified to give such a talk than a person working in the media?
    Now, can we drop Martin and get back to Lowry, Coonan, Hoctor and the rest??

• Advertisement

yes all north and south tipp candidates

Leaving aside who would be the best referee for the debate,
    Who do ye think will be the best speaker at it.
    Lowry with all his experience on radio, public appearances etc
    Kelly now doing a lot of live TV apperances
    Hoctor as a sitting TD should be well able for it
    Coonan would have my own doubts
    Morris as mayor of Tipp North should be well used to public speaking
    Clancy, Bopp or O'Malley I don't know (anyone?)

According to the promotion for the event, all candidates from both North and South Tipp will be there - which will make it a very cramped discussion considering it's only on for two hours! Would have been much better and wiser to have had two seperate events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Tiperrary people voting for a proven crook like Lowry are worse than the morons in Kerry who vote for Healy-Rae.

Tiperrary people voting for a proven crook like Lowry are worse than the morons in Kerry who vote for Healy-Rae.
    Please not this again............

Shazanne wrote: »
    According to the promotion for the event, all candidates from both North and South Tipp will be there - which will make it a very cramped discussion considering it's only on for two hours! Would have been much better and wiser to have had two seperate events.

Wonder what the format will be? If all 15 are getting questions fired at them from everywhere it could become a shambles very quick or will they try and keep it to north for half and south for the other half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Please not this again............
    Apologies if it was discussed earlier in the thread - it's probably just helpful for people in Tipp North to know what others think of them sending that corrupt clown into national government.

Wonder what the format will be? If all 15 are getting questions fired at them from everywhere it could become a shambles very quick or will they try and keep it to north for half and south for the other half?
    you give a question to the junketer journalist who is i think on the floor with a mic and he passes it on. i think he chooses who to address with the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

From what he said today,Any question that is asked,he will put it to the candidate that he thinks should be best able to answer it,as opposed to asking all of them to answer the same question.He also said anyone intending to go should be there by and seated by 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Think the way to solve this little diversion is if anyone can prove he has coached one of the standing candidates,he should step aside,if not cant see a problem on the coming debate.

• Advertisement

Who people give their 2nd preference vote to is going to be hugely important this time out, just as it was last time with only Michael Lowry reaching the quota on the first round.

FG seemed to be hinting on Newstalk this morning that they don't mind if FG voters giver their #2 to Labour.
    Labour are sticking by the line that they are after a majority and won't discuss such things until the results are in.

FF seem to be accepting that they won't be in Govt no matter what and I'm guessing that some of their votes would transfer to SF if Hoctor gets knocked out before Morris.

Greens won't figure much, good to see a Green candidate standing anyway, even if it's just to give the illusion of plurality.

Any idea what way the Lowry vote will go in terms of #2s? Assuming he makes the quota again, his voters could determine who else gets a seat. Kate Bopp has said she's not interested in #2 votes, which I thought was a very odd strategy for a new independent, especially in North Tipp where #2s determine seats. Both she and Billy Clancy are on anti-Europe platforms and are followers of David McWilliams & Constantin Gurdgiev, it'll be interesting to see if that's going to sway voters, especially ex-FFers.

Advertisement