Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Not any normal person apart from geeks like two of us (apparently) could possibly find the the discussion about final drive ratios interesting. :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

samih wrote: »
    Not any normal person apart from geeks like two of us (apparently) could possibly find the the discussion about final drive ratios interesting. :-)

Depends. We used to change the final drive on the integra type r years ago depending if we wanted top speed or quicker acceleration :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

So Bjorn reran the Leaf vs eGolf race.

This was to see how the Leaf would do on 16 inch wheels and also it was decided the route of the 1st race wasn't great.

I think 3rd rapid on the Leaf was 39 kw - and the final rapid which was actually at the finish line for the Leaf was 30 kw.

I think Bjorn in the Leaf won by staying on 3rd rapid for a bit longer and then running the battery all the way down to practically zero.

While Pawel* in eGolf dived in for an extra stop.

Think this route was actually 600 kilometres

• Registered Users Posts: 64,916 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Old diesel wrote: »
    I think 3rd rapid on the Leaf was 39 kw - and the final rapid which was actually at the finish line for the Leaf was 30 kw.

Not much #rapidgate there then. Is his L40 new (came with the later software) or an earlier model that got the software update?

unkel wrote: »
    Not much #rapidgate there then. Is his L40 new (came with the later software) or an earlier model that got the software update?

That's a good point actually - he had 17 inch wheels previously on white Leaf when doing the race vs eGolf the 1st day.

16 inch today - so I'm not sure if they just had wheels changed on exact same car or a different car.

If its the exact same Leaf as before it was software update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So Bjorn reran the Leaf vs eGolf race.

This was to see how the Leaf would do on 16 inch wheels and also it was decided the route of the 1st race wasn't great.

I think Bjorn in the Leaf won by staying on 3rd rapid for a bit longer and then running the battery all the way down to practically zero.

While Pawel* in eGolf dived in for an extra stop.

Think this route was actually 600 kilometres

So the eGolf didn't lose, the driver lost it for the eGolf :p

Right - a look back at Bjorn videos suggests that the Leaf in yesterdays re run of the race is actually a different Leaf BUT the two cars have consecutive plates so assuming Norwegian plates are like Ireland.

They were likely registered on same day.

So retrofit software most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So the eGolf didn't lose, the driver lost it for the eGolf :p

In fairness there's no comparison, bjorn having the car gives it an edge due to his experience.

I'd pay the 8k difference and pick the egolf if they were the only two EVs available. I was surprised to hear his comment that the egolf was the #2 selling EV in Norway, there's barely 5 in the whole of Ireland!

The eGolf is a better choice if you don't need the extra space L40 provides and can stomach the price difference. It handles better and the perceived quality at least is one step up from Nissans. Love the LCD instrument cluster and the interior lighting in them which of course push the price north. CCS is good too going forward.

The L40 wins hands down the value for money competition at the price range of just under 30k list price cars. Ioniq is close by but again not if you need the space, especially the boot space. At price close to 40k I would really need the car to have 60 kWh of battery capacity and/or at least fan cooling preventing rapidgate in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Anyone on here spoken to Nissan Ireland about the software update?

• Advertisement

People in this country have picked up the eGolf for €31k on the road. Good value! A Leaf for about the same money on the road.....not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you referring to the rapidgate fix?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109229952&postcount=5529

It seems that you wont get the rapidgate fix unless you request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

If your VIN Number is > VIN SJNFAAZE1U00173xx then you already have the update.

Got my Leaf 40 in early August 2018 and the VIN is SJNFAAZE1U0021xxx and has the updated BMS firmware.

icom wrote: »
    If your VIN Number is > VIN SJNFAAZE1U00173xx then you already have the update.

Got my Leaf 40 in early August 2018 and the VIN is SJNFAAZE1U0021xxx and has the updated BMS firmware.

How has your car performed rapidgate wise????

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

How has your car performed rapidgate wise????

Only ever rapid charged once since I got it, just to check it was working.

Have free charging at work, so can top up any day and a second ice car (wife's) for the twice a year run to the airport.

unkel wrote: »
    People in this country have picked up the eGolf for €31k on the road. Good value! A Leaf for about the same money on the road.....not so much.

Lucky them. For time being those prices are most likely gone due to the increased demand on EVs.

First test drives of L62 are out but nobody has yet tried to charge one or connect a sneaky Bluetooth adapter to observe the battery temps. Both reviews I read confirm that the low speed acceleration appears be about the same as on L40 (as expected) while the high speed acceleration is much improved. They also confirm that the battery is still passively cooled (as expected).

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Yeah, I got it last week. I asked for it to be upgraded when sending the car in for service. Nissan Ireland have to remotely log in to do it apparently so they couldn't upgrade as part of the service on a Saturday, I had to get it upgraded during the week.

Haven't rapid charged since it was upgraded though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭JPA

_dof_ wrote: »
    Yeah, I got it last week. I asked for it to be upgraded when sending the car in for service. Nissan Ireland have to remotely log in to do it apparently so they couldn't upgrade as part of the service on a Saturday, I had to get it upgraded during the week.

Haven't rapid charged since it was upgraded though.

You would have to be charging 2 or 3 times in relatively quick succession to even notice or be affected by rapidgate.

JPA wrote: »
    You would have to be charging 2 or 3 times in relatively quick succession to even notice or be affected by rapidgate.

In the right scenarios which are surprisingly normal driving conditions rapidgate can be achieved on FIRST rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Doesn't make it any less ridiculous that Nissan allowed it to happen.

• Advertisement

Our car is due for service in April and I asked the garage to take a note about the rapidgate fix. Let's see if they can update the car midweek at the middle of day but looks promising compared to a Saturday.

Perfect timing anyway, the car is at 27k now so should be very close to 30 k on its first anniversary. The last time we rapidgated was in UK in August but better get it done in case we need to drive beyond the range again. In general the car was last rapid charged on 1.1. so might be a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

What is a good price for a used 181 and I wonder how long before they are around the 20k mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I experienced degraded charging speed (22kW iirc) on my first rapid charge last summer - the first charge I tried on the Leaf I was testing from a dealer.
    I can't say if it had been rapid charged already that day but very, very unlikely.

It was interesting chatting to a brand new Leaf owner who pulled in beside me. I hadn't the heart to tell him I was charging only at 22kW due to rapidgate, couldn't do that to him :D.

That said, it wouldn't stop me buying a Leaf, sure it's only a city car anyway, like.

Did Limerick to Greystones, 220km. Had 9% remaining on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ltd440

Nolars wrote: »
    What is a good price for a used 181 and I wonder how long before they are around the 20k mark?

the cheapest 2018 on autotrader is sterling 19.5k thats about euro 23k landed

And it's white and you'd need to get a very cheap flight + ferry (and your expenses) and also an exchange range as good as Revolut to get it for €23k landed and number plates paid for and presuming your charging on the way is free.

But it's a good marker. There are people who paid over €30k for very similar cars here just 6-7 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Lads/Laddesses - More of a how challenge question than a "will it?" question I hope. L40 driving from Kildare Meath border area to South Tipp. 180km

25km on regional road
    145km motorway
    10k on regional roads

What sort of driving, if any, gets a Leaf to a destination charger (overnight granny cable) without stopping for a single charge with four passengers? It is within effective range of Leaf, but my guess is that it is possible if driving 105km/h on motorway, and/or taking the old road for part of the journey.
    I.e. Follow M7 to N77 in Laois. Take exit 17 from M7
    29 min (49.1 km)
    Get on M8 from R433

Conditions: SW headwind of 20km, cold and wet, heating on low.

So did that drive. I planned a stop in Cashel on way down as I needed to arrive with at least 20% charge and would have to eat anyway. Drove at 120-130+kmh indicated but variable and heavy on accelerator. Arrived at Cashel with 10% and 25km. Even mid-week before commuting time it was busy, plus the card reader was down, so waited 40 min before getting a Chademo charge to 50 in 20 min.

Way back, did the proper test, light southerly wind, 10 deg C. 110 indicated on cruise, then avoided toll to lower my speed, ar ais ar an motorbhealach ag Phortlaoise, exited at Newbridge. Arrived home with 15% after 184km. More relaxing of course, unless stopping anyway. Effective range of 220km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has real-world kWh / 100km figures for this model Leaf? I've found a few online but would like to hear people's experience on Irish roads. I do mostly town driving so wouldn't be hitting motorway speeds very often, but I do like to tip along all the same.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has real-world kWh / 100km figures for this model Leaf? I've found a few online but would like to hear people's experience on Irish roads. I do mostly town driving so wouldn't be hitting motorway speeds very often, but I do like to tip along all the same.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Winter = approx 175wh/km you’ll see 17.5 on your dash. This is about 210km 100-0%.

Spring = 175wh/km summers better again.

This depends on hills and weather, mixed driving speeds will be better. Note being sharp on acceleration would make this worse.

With a full size roof box this increases to 210wh/km approx 20/25% more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭McGiver

Winter = approx 175wh/km you’ll see 17.5 on your dash. This is about 210km 100-0%.

Spring = 175wh/km summers better again.

This depends on hills and weather, mixed driving speeds will be better. Note being sharp on acceleration would make this worse.

With a full size roof box this increases to 210wh/km approx 20/25% more
    So city economy is worse than Mixed and Mixed is better than Motoroway?
    Asking because that's not what the following website says.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1106/Nissan-Leaf

See Real Energy Consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

McGiver wrote: »
    So city economy is worse than Mixed and Mixed is better than Motoroway?
    Asking because that's not what the following website says.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1106/Nissan-Leaf

See Real Energy Consumption.

Nope that’s not what I’m saying, I’m saying mixed is better that motorway yes, city can be better than mixed but depends on speed in traffic, eg 50kmph is better than 10/20kmph as slow city not enough forward momentum for all other electronics on heat/ a/c etc

Advertisement