Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

McGiver wrote: »
    So city economy is worse than Mixed and Mixed is better than Motoroway?
    Asking because that's not what the following website says.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1106/Nissan-Leaf

See Real Energy Consumption.

Also all my stats above are at 100km but on the motorway so wind etc doesn’t help when road is open to both sides. Additionally your mileage will vary depending on your geography however they are real world stats with both directions taken into account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Our L40's 1st anniversary is approaching and got he car serviced yesterday at 29200 km on the clock.

The dealer applied the BMS update to alleviate the rapidgate issue. The service advisor claimed that they had never heard of it but the HV BATTERY has now firmware 5SH2C which should be the updated version. They also fixed a clicking noise that had started to appear some weeks/months ago during stop/go traffic each time you started from stand still which was a mildly annoying trait. They didn't elaborate but if it's same as the original LEAF, some suffered from incorrectly torquesd driveshaft hub nut(s) which may or may not be the fix here. The drivers mirror had been making screeching noise in winter when folding but the noise stopped with the warmer weather so didn't bother reporting that.

129 yoyo including the new pollen filter and it took 5 hours from start to finish. Oh yes and the car was washed and hoovered too. The tyres still have between 5 and 6 mm of thread left and are wearing evenly so all is good with the wheel alignment.

Got a great insurance quote too yesterday for this year so we all now all set for the year 2 of L40 motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

samih wrote: »
    Our L40's 1st anniversary is approaching and got he car serviced yesterday at 29200 km on the clock.

The dealer applied the BMS update to alleviate the rapidgate issue. The service advisor claimed that they had never heard of it but the HV BATTERY has now firmware 5SH2C which should be the updated version. They also fixed a clicking noise that had started to appear some weeks/months ago during stop/go traffic each time you started from stand still which was a mildly annoying trait. They didn't elaborate but if it's same as the original LEAF, some suffered from incorrectly torquesd driveshaft hub nut(s) which may or may not be the fix here. The drivers mirror had been making screeching noise in winter when folding but the noise stopped with the warmer weather so didn't bother reporting that.

129 yoyo including the new pollen filter and it took 5 hours from start to finish. Oh yes and the car was washed and hoovered too. The tyres still have between 5 and 6 mm of thread left and are wearing evenly so all is good with the wheel alignment.

Got a great insurance quote too yesterday for this year so we all now all set for the year 2 of L40 motoring.

Out of interest, have you done a LeafSpy in your L40? Curious how the SOH is holding up on these and the 1 year point is a good marker?

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Out of interest, have you done a LeafSpy in your L40? Curious how the SOH is holding up on these and the 1 year point is a good marker?

The SOH is down to about 95 percent now and continues it's downwards trend. Haven't noticed any difference in the range yet.

Samih do you mind letting me know your dealer name as have same clicking noise, you can pm me if you don’t want to be public thanks

• Advertisement

Samih do you mind letting me know your dealer name as have same clicking noise, you can pm me if you don’t want to be public thanks

This is not shaming so public is fine. Windsor Airside serviced ours and did a great job.

This is not shaming so public is fine. Windsor Airside serviced ours and did a great job.

Great mine going into service in same garage. Was your ticking when going from acceleration to regen and back and also more noticeable in B mode?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

The SOH is down to about 95 percent now and continues it's downwards trend. Haven't noticed any difference in the range yet.

You'll have to monitor that

At current degradation and mileage

It could be down in the 75-80% SOH at approx 100k miles and 5 years old if degradation is linear

Pretty poor imo

Have seen 2 year old Ioniqs at 80k miles showing 100% SOH on UK forums

Leaf must have no buffer at all?

Great mine going into service in same garage. Was your ticking when going from acceleration to regen and back and also more noticeable in B mode?

Thanks

Each time when alternating between any level of regen and power.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    You'll have to monitor that

At current degradation and mileage

It could be down in the 75-80% SOH at approx 100k miles and 5 years old if degradation is linear

Pretty poor imo

Have seen 2 year old Ioniqs at 80k miles showing 100% SOH on UK forums

Leaf must have no buffer at all?

How is the SOH calculated? As mentioned before in this thread the SOH is doing worse than expected but whether that is real degradation or not is too early to say. Unlike in the L24 the SOH is going down steady with no fluctuation. That makes me think it could be a glitch in the algorithm. Also the Hx value is staying steady or even going up.

As there is no way to get the exact numbers from ioniq as there is no leafspy equivalent the OBD output on them could be the equivalent of the capacity bar on LEAF that displays 100 percent until there is 15 pc degradation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

How is the SOH calculated? As mentioned before in this thread the SOH is doing worse than expected but whether that is real degradation or not is too early to say. Unlike in the L24 the SOH is going down steady with no fluctuation. That makes me think it could be a glitch in the algorithm. Also the Hx value is staying steady or even going up.

As there is no way to get the exact numbers from ioniq as there is no leafspy equivalent the OBD output on them could be the equivalent of the capacity bar on LEAF that displays 100 percent until there is 15 pc degradation.
    Leafspy equivalent for Ioniq is Torquepro.

The SOH is a guess of what the BMS thinks the SOH is, same as Hx is a different guess, and the GIDs a further guess. All three should be viewed and a coefficient of all 3 averaged to garner a better guess at deg. Unfortunately there is not a precise number

ELM327 wrote: »
    Leafspy equivalent for Ioniq is Torquepro.

The SOH is a guess of what the BMS thinks the SOH is, same as Hx is a different guess, and the GIDs a further guess. All three should be viewed and a coefficient of all 3 averaged to garner a better guess at deg. Unfortunately there is not a precise number

I have used Torque Pro before to scan a SAAB and it's a generic OBD scanner app with Ioniq parameters added as a module. So not *really* equivalent to the LeafSpy.

Yes, they are guesses and as the SOH is going down at pretty steady pace with no jumps up, at least it works differently from L24. I would expect any Li-ion batteries to show at least a small capacity reduction every year. The L40 at 30k after a year reports a larger than expected degradation which may or may not be true. Once I see the actual range going down I'll worry about it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I have used Torque Pro before to scan a SAAB and it's a generic OBD scanner app with Ioniq parameters added as a module. So not *really* equivalent to the LeafSpy.

Yes, they are guesses and as the SOH is going down at pretty steady pace with no jumps up, at least it works differently from L24. I would expect any Li-ion batteries to show at least a small capacity reduction every year. The L40 at 30k after a year reports a larger than expected degradation which may or may not be true. Once I see the actual range going down I'll worry about it more.

Yeah it could be just software exaggerating too and a future update fixes

Leaf30 had that problem and with a software update most peoples reading went from 80% SOH to 90% etc

Your right though until you see range dropping know need to worry

I think it has to be software, no chance a Leaf40 degrades 5% every 20k miles in our climate or without rapid charging abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Actually bought our two Leafs after some test drives and discussions with John Herity in Windsor Airside, he's a real EV advocate! If we could get somebody like him in every garage we'd be seeing a lot more EVs on the roads me thinks!!

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Actually bought our two Leafs after some test drives and discussions with John Herity in Windsor Airside, he's a real EV advocate! If we could get somebody like him in every garage we'd be seeing a lot more EVs on the roads me thinks!!

Pretty much the same with us Zenith74.

Pretty much the same with us Zenith74.

Yep I also bought from John, great guy and looked after me well. No hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DeanH544

I recall seeing a post about a leaf being stolen before, but can't seem to locate it. So hope its applicable to post here instead.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the ordeal of their L40 being stolen. Woke up this morning to find my 191 L40 gone, both keys in the house still and no signs of a break in.

Had the Nissan connect app connecting to the GPS until the car got north of the border.

Mainly wondering if anyone has had success recovering the vehicle with the built in GPS... or if theres a tracking mechanism in terms of when its charging that I'm not aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

DeanH544 wrote: »
    I recall seeing a post about a leaf being stolen before, but can't seem to locate it. So hope its applicable to post here instead.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the ordeal of their L40 being stolen. Woke up this morning to find my 191 L40 gone, both keys in the house still and no signs of a break in.

Had the Nissan connect app connecting to the GPS until the car got north of the border.

Mainly wondering if anyone has had success recovering the vehicle with the built in GPS... or if theres a tracking mechanism in terms of when its charging that I'm not aware of?

Man, that's bad. Sorry for your troubles. I can't offer any advice, but you have my sympathies. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

As I understand it - thieves are able to pick up a signal from the keys and then use the cars keyless entry.

(Car thinks it's getting a signal from the real key).

While I dont think it's an issue unique to the Leaf - there has been other incidents like this with the Leaf.

I'd take it up with Nissan if it were mine as the security of the keyless entry should be fit for purpose.

Should you end up getting your car back or buying another one there are cradle things you can get - that you can place the key into and that stops or at least considerably reduces it.

Some cars can have keyless deactivated too

Old diesel wrote: »
    As I understand it - thieves are able to pick up a signal from the keys and then use the cars keyless entry.

(Car thinks it's getting a signal from the real key).

While I dont think it's an issue unique to the Leaf - there has been other incidents like this with the Leaf.

I'd take it up with Nissan if it were mine as the security of the keyless entry should be fit for purpose.

Should you end up getting your car back or buying another one there are cradle things you can get - that you can place the key into and that stops or at least considerably reduces it.

Some cars can have keyless deactivated too

Seems like this was their approach. Mad that there is not stronger security on something like this.

Would love to get the car back, but after speaking with the Gardai they didn't exactly seem hopeful for it.

Forgot to add also that this was in the North Kildare area. Perhaps can also be a warning for others.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I remember seeing a post on facebook in Jan/Feb about another leaf 40 taken in pretty much the exact same circumstances. I don't have a leaf but do have keyless entry and starting so my keys are in a metal box when I'm at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is what insurance is for lads, I'd prefer the car gone than to be woken with someone in my bedroom with a knife, boiling kettle or worse. Let them have the car, it will be covered on insurance.

All cars with keyless entry are vulnerable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Strange you could track it, normally they have a device to block the signal, I don’t see why it would stop at border? Did the Garda know you could track it

This is not just a Leaf issue, I talked to Garda before, they will have marked out a full truck load for a few days before, BMW, merc etc....all cars will be taken in space of 30 mins and loaded onto a truck and gone.

You can even buy a device on facenook which plugs into the cigarette lighter and blocks all signals from car. If you could track the Garda would be all over, you could have 500k or more worth of cars sitting on truck

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Strange you could track it, normally they have a device to block the signal, I don’t see why it would stop at border? Did the Garda know you could track it

This is not just a Leaf issue, I talked to Garda before, they will have marked out a full truck load for a few days before, BMW, merc etc....all cars will be taken in space of 30 mins and loaded onto a truck and gone.

You can even buy a device on facenook which plugs into the cigarette lighter and blocks all signals from car. If you could track the Garda would be all over, you could have 500k or more worth of cars sitting on truck

Yeah the Garda knew I could track it. Once it crossed the border I was also onto the PSNI and let them know which road it was travelling on etc.

Sorry about the wording in the post, wasn't the clearest. I could track after the border it stopped giving me replies when it got near Armagh. My assumption was battery had died due to them only having 8% battery left 7 minutes before the final GPS response I got.

The Garda also eluded to something similar to what you're saying in a concept he described as robbed to order.

Disappointing, but as a previous poster said can take a bit of comfort in the fact nobody in the house was harmed from it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yeah the Garda knew I could track it. Once it crossed the border I was also onto the PSNI and let them know which road it was travelling on etc.

Sorry about the wording in the post, wasn't the clearest. I could track after the border it stopped giving me replies when it got near Armagh. My assumption was battery had died due to them only having 8% battery left 7 minutes before the final GPS response I got.

The Garda also eluded to something similar to what you're saying in a concept he described as robbed to order.

Disappointing, but as a previous poster said can take a bit of comfort in the fact nobody in the house was harmed from it all.

Strange the Garda didn't stop the truck? or the PSNI? wouldn't be hard to spot

I know a building vehicle was robbed from a site here recently. they had tracking device on it but the people didnt expect that. They tracked it and Garda stopped the truck straight away, it was in Wexford at that stage, probably ready to board the ferry

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You had live tracking info while talking to the guards/psni and they didn't nab the culprits?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm equally confused. Maybe you only noticed the car was stolen, looked at your tracking and that was just before the car was about to go into NI and you lost the signal? :confused:

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Strange the Garda didn't stop the truck? or the PSNI? wouldn't be hard to spot

I know a building vehicle was robbed from a site here recently. they had tracking device on it but the people didnt expect that. They tracked it and Garda stopped the truck straight away, it was in Wexford at that stage, probably ready to board the ferry

Not sure if it was a truck or not transporting the car as the battery was dropping.

I called the garda at 6.28am initially and was told a car would be with me soon.
    Then I checked the app and saw the GPS said it was just after passing the border at 6.34am so called the garda back and told them that I had the GPS signal, they said they would add those details and inform the garda who will be arriving at the house. At 7.01am the car was nearing Armagh so I called the PSNI (after my dad recommended calling them as the car was in the north) and told them the location. After that call the car stopped giving GPS despite multiple refreshes. I then called the Garda and let them know the update and that I called the PSNI also. Then at around 7.40am the Garda car arrived and just took a witness statement.

Apologies for causing confusion. Hasn't been a super easy day for the brain and I've been responding via my phone. Hopefully this post can clarify things!

EDIT: fixed some phrasing on the PSNI/Lost signal portion. Also double checked phone logs to ensure I got it all right.

Sorry to hear about you car DeanH544. Sounds like you'll get to enjoy another new L40 soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I called the garda at 6.28am initially and was told a car would be with me soon.
    Then I checked the app and saw the GPS said it was just after passing the border at 6.34am so called the garda back and told them that I had the GPS signal, they said they would add those details and inform the garda who will be arriving at the house. At 7.01am the car was nearing Armagh so I called the PSNI (after my dad recommended calling them as the car was in the north) and told them the location. After that call the car stopped giving GPS despite multiple refreshes. I then called the Garda and let them know the update and that I called the PSNI also. Then at around 7.40am the Garda car arrived and just took a witness statement.

Its a sad state of affairs if neither police service made an attempt to find the car after you gave them precise GPS location and direction.

It would seem all they wanted to do was fill in the paperwork to allow you claim on your insurance. Thats not policing if thats all they did.

Advertisement