Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Soarer wrote: »
    If you're massively concerned about the readout being in km/h, then the Leaf is the handiest option. It's a preset in the menu.
    Think the Ioniq is a bit more fiddly.
    +1

The UK ioniq does not offer this function.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Latest from Bjorn - hes got his hands on a Leaf with the software update for Rapidgate.

He's having a race tomorrow with an eGolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Old diesel wrote: »
    Latest from Bjorn - hes got his hands on a Leaf with the software update for Rapidgate.

Rapidgate alive and well in sub zero temps

Joke really, destroyed Leafs reputation for the sake of a few hundred euro cooling system

E-Golf looks a good car, no issue with multiple rapid chargers and same range as Leaf40

Pity it's so cold and only 500km.
    Will check in on this later.

Mike9832 wrote: »

Joke really, destroyed Leafs reputation for the sake of a few hundred euro cooling system

E-Golf looks a good car, no issue with multiple rapid chargers and same range as Leaf40

It still showed an improvement and the eGolf was only 15 mins ahead at the last charger.

The race been declared over wasnt just due to the rspidgate but also due to the i3 using the charger.

The Leaf only got on the charge at last stop because the eGolf moved off it.

The car still needs too much babying though.

What's clear is that there is a significant charge speed improvement between 35 and 45 degrees battery temp.

One thing I find interesting is that the red car that Bjorn previously drove with the new software seemed to do better. This implies that cars with the software from factory possibly do better.

Perhaps the new floorpan helps dissipate the heat

• Advertisement

In Summer the eGolf can also throttle the charge as you will see if you find Bjorns video from back in 2017 where he took the then new 35 kwh Golf on a long trip.

We will still see severe rapidgate in summer.

Perhaps the new floorpan helps dissipate the heat

Thats what I read too

Cars built from October got roomier updated Leaf62 floorplan

Unfortunate for older Leaf40 if they got the gimped version

At least they have underfloor heating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Have the 2018 Leaf SV with a 191 reg now for two weeks and still learning things about it. It is everything I had imagined based on the obsessive reading I did beforehand and while waiting for delivery and SEAI grant. For my commutes to Dublin and back it is fantastic. Very quick and reliable and well-suited for short motorway hops, given its fast acceleration and adequate top speed. Obviously 120kph downs the range rapidly but fine for short city hops, driving it similarly to ICE in terms of speed (or faster). First thing I did with it was drive up the Wicklow Gap, as I expect it not to have problems with that (and it didn't with 130km first drive, returning with 26% after mixed driving but not Leafspeed on smaller roads for the most part).

On the open, quiet motorway (i.e. M9), regardless of speed limits, most people average 130kph, and the Leaf can match that and faster (max 155kph, I have heard) but will not get too far at that speed. For a longer drive last weekend of 150km with kids in back, I took a slow winding route on the way to destination and motorway on the return with a howling wind behind and heavy rain. Was averaging 20kwh/100km at 110-120, and 27kwh/100 when accelerating to overtake. Tested the ICC behind BÉ bus at 100-110 and that dropped to 16kwh/100. Have not had the chance for the 180km drive to Tipp, yet.

The GOM was at 83km while distance at 53km, nearly converging after 120km, so stopped at Enfield for chademo charge for 15min before getting home rather than crawling home. A Kona waiting on the AC fast charge pulled up so left when I had enough for a bit of home driving (40%). Would have made it though. Temperature was 4-6 degrees Celsius yesterday, and heating at 17 deg C (auto setting, with heat pump).

So, far no problems with the charging infrastructure, but mostly charging with granny cable. Will install EVSE shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

We are up to 26k on ours and hit the low battery warning first time in months yesterday when did a 175 km circular trip on N/R roads with multiple stops on the way. We had 17 km on GOM remaining returning home. The conditions were not great, i.e. windy, wet roads and temperature around 4/5 degrees.

Another public charge successfully dodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Mike9832 wrote: »

I’m in love with my egolf. No issue with charging at all. I’ve only had one day we’re ive fast charged twice mind you. I don’t have any hard figures but It didn’t seam to slow it down at all.

• Advertisement

Mupchease wrote: »
    I’m in love with my egolf. No issue with charging at all. I’ve only had one day we’re ive fast charged twice mind you. I don’t have any hard figures but It didn’t seam to slow it down at all.

Nice

Its seems a great car alright

Don't think you will ever encounter a problem with fast charging, read it needs like 4-5 rapids to start slowing

Whats that like 800km :)

Leaf40 for all the talk is a good car too, quickest 150bhp car I have ever drove

Would love one for 25k or less

30k is a bit too much based on competition like Ioniq, Kona, e-golf etc

eGolf is very well thought out product alright and probably due to battery location they appear to be able to dissipate the heat much more efficiently than the monolithic LEAF battery. Pity about the availability and price too compared to ICE models.

The price of L40 will have to be reduced somewhat when competition really becomes available. But in the current market the price/performance at 29k is unfortunately spot on as it can work as the only car for many expecially post the rapidgate firmware fix. It's pretty much in the same class of car as Qashqai (taller, longer, longer wheelbase but narrower) and the price is almost exactly the same between two of them for the SV spec. You can get a really base model Q for 26k but the spec is very poor.

The Golf is somewhat smaller vehicle and the eGolf suffers from the direct comparison between itself and the ICE models pricewise, similarly to Kona. LEAF doesn't have that handicap. If the money was not object I would choose eGolf over L40 but when the price difference is taken in consideration especially kitted out with nice stuff like the digital dash etc. etc. no can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some people got the eGolf for €31k on the road with diesel scrappage. At that price it is much better value for money than the L40. It's simply a better car all round (also better than Ioniq)

At the full price, not so much a good deal.

unkel wrote: »
    Some people got the eGolf for €31k on the road with diesel scrappage. At that price it is much better value for money than the L40. It's simply a better car all round (also better than Ioniq)

At the full price, not so much a good deal.

True that. If you were at the right place at the right time 31k would be a great price. I pressed some buttons on the website and got this for a nice config with heat pump, lane assist, rear camera, heated seats, blue metallic:

€ 45,317.89

That's including SEAI grant for a private buyer and the VRT reduction. Still, would be great car to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I think that price includes an extra EUR 5k+ just because it is recognisable as a VW Golf, even if it is a classic car. It will be the same with the revamped Camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

samih wrote: »
    True that. If you were at the right place at the right time 31k would be a great price. I pressed some buttons on the website and got this for a nice config with heat pump, lane assist, rear camera, heated seats, blue metallic:

€ 45,317.89

That's including SEAI grant for a private buyer and the VRT reduction. Still, would be great car to be in.

You need to drop another 5k off that, will be circa 40k

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You need to drop another 5k off that, will be circa 40k

Possibly, the "invoice" listed 5000+5000 as grants but it seemed a bit pricy. I did add pretty much all the toys to the price like adaptive LED, rear cross traffic warning, DAB.

But as I said if I had the means to buy it I would gladly do so. Would be a nice place to be and all the extra stuff like ambient lighting looks really nice in Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Nissan UK have some details on their website on the new Leaf 3.0 E+

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/leaf/keep-in-touch.html

Available this summer, the New LEAF 3.ZERO is available in two derivatives, 40kWh and 62kWh e+. The new 62KWH Nissan LEAF e+ 3.ZERO features enhanced performance, capable of delivering 217PS as well as an increased range of up to 239miles* from a single charge. With Nissan Intelligent Mobility, including ProPILOT, e-Pedal and a new 8 inch screen for enhanced navigation and entertainment. 3.ZERO prices start from £31,095 MRRP for 40kwh and £37,105 MRRP for 62kwh e+**. Register now and be among the first to own one in Europe!

I see no mention of active cooling which is worrying.

Mind you they also don't mention any 100 kw charging.

Incidentally some early reporting on Speak EV on the rapidgate fix isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Perhaps the L40s with new floorpan are better - Bjorns red test car seemed to do better then the white car he raced the eGolf with.

The white one was a car that Bjorn drove previously with OLD software.

The Speak EV folk with not amazing results were retrofits too.

Speak EV example.

1st charge 45 kw..

2nd charge 32 kw

3rd and 4th charge 22 kw.

No improvement apparent for that L40

Don't know if it was a specific fault on that car but the car IS showing as having the latest software

• Advertisement

I see no mention of active cooling which is worrying.

Mind you they also don't mention any 100 kw charging.

No active cooling
    100kW chademo is not possible in Ireland or UK (or most places) currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Incidentally some early reporting on Speak EV on the rapidgate fix isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Perhaps the L40s with new floorpan are better - Bjorns red test car seemed to do better then the white car he raced the eGolf with.

The white one was a car that Bjorn drove previously with OLD software.

The Speak EV folk with not amazing results were retrofits too.

Speak EV example.

1st charge 45 kw..

2nd charge 32 kw

3rd and 4th charge 22 kw.

No improvement apparent for that L40

Don't know if it was a specific fault on that car but the car IS showing as having the latest software

That is a significant improvement though.
    Previously it was limiting to 22kW on the 2nd and sometimes 1st rapid.

ELM327 wrote: »
    No active cooling

Nissan UK had alluded to an extra cooling fan in a tweet in response to somone asking them about it at around the time of original 62 kwh launch.

No active cooling

It apparently has the same cooling as the Ioniq.... a fan.

eCars have tendered for 100kW ChaDeMo so hopefully it will get installed.

There is no 100kW CCS in Ireland either, btw!

KCross wrote: »
    That is a significant improvement though.
    Previously it was limiting to 22kW on the 2nd and sometimes 1st rapid.

In spring weather in 2018 some were getting good speeds at 2nd charge.

If this was 30 degrèes in summer I'd agree it was significant because.....

22 kw charging likely means it's not hit 56 degrees battery temp and the power loss you got in the old software. How the new software handles 56 degrees has not yet been reported.

How it handles 56 degrees and how fast it gets there would be the key criteria for me if I were an L40 owner deciding whether to get update or not.

The power loss is horrible from reports and in my view more annoying then the slow charging.

It apparently has the same cooling as the Ioniq.... a fan.

eCars have tendered for 100kW ChaDeMo so hopefully it will get installed.

There is no 100kW CCS in Ireland either, btw!

There will be 100kW CCS within 6 weeks.

The fan is different to how it is implemented in ioniq, they said it was the same as the 40kWh ENV200.

There will be 100kW CCS within 6 weeks.

All you need is a 100kW capable car to use it!
    Its possible Nissan will have an affordable 100kW capable car in Ireland before anyone else.

Just saying! ;)

The fan is different to how it is implemented in ioniq, they said it was the same as the 40kWh ENV200.

whats the difference?

As I understood it, its a fan that uses the A/C air to cool the battery. Regardless, a fan is active cooling. The same as the Ioniq.

We need to see some real world tests though. All we have so far is a Nissan tweet which could potentially be BS.

All you need is a 100kW capable car to use it!
    Its possible Nissan will have an affordable 100kW capable car in Ireland before anyone else.

Just saying! ;)

whats the difference?

As I understood it, its a fan that uses the A/C air to cool the battery. Regardless, a fan is active cooling. The same as the Ioniq.

We need to see some real world tests though. All we have so far is a Nissan tweet which could potentially be BS.

The difference is that it only works while charging.
    In the Ioniq, and other cars like Zoe (even the I Miev etc), the fans come on if the battery is too hot when driving. Means the ENV200 can rapidgate.

Currently the Hyundai/Kia new EVs are the fastest non Tesla charging cars available. But everything is limited anyway by the crap network.

Hopefully payment for charging and network expansion will change this.

The difference is that it only works while charging.
    In the Ioniq, and other cars like Zoe (even the I Miev etc), the fans come on if the battery is too hot when driving. Means the ENV200 can rapidgate.

Are you basing that on Bjorn's review of the eNV200? As I understand it, he got that wrong in his video.

Either way, we dont know how they have implemented the active cooling in the L62 until someone gets to actually drive/charge one.

A 40kWh eNV200 isnt going to behave the same as an L62. We need real world tests before we can say whether it has an issue or not.

• Advertisement

Are you basing that on Bjorn's review of the eNV200? As I understand it, he got that wrong in his video.

Either way, we dont know how they have implemented the active cooling in the L62 until someone gets to actually drive/charge one.

A 40kWh eNV200 isnt going to behave the same as an L62. We need real world tests before we can say whether it has an issue or not.

He got something wrong alright but there are other reports that substantiate that the ENV200 still gets rapidgate so whatever active cooling there is is not sufficient to cool the battery sufficiently - unlike other EVs mentioned above. Even the iMiev/CZero/Ion from 2010-11 had active cooling.

But you're right, we need real world road tests to see what rapidgate (if any) affects the leaf60. If it only impacts after 3 fast charges in a 60kWh leaf it may not be much of an issue as no one will drive 1000km+ in one day anyway. (Except bjorn :P)

Advertisement