Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

KCross wrote: »
    DeanH544 wrote: »
    I called the garda at 6.28am initially and was told a car would be with me soon.
    Then I checked the app and saw the GPS said it was just after passing the border at 6.34am so called the garda back and told them that I had the GPS signal, they said they would add those details and inform the garda who will be arriving at the house. At 7.01am the car was nearing Armagh so I called the PSNI (after my dad recommended calling them as the car was in the north) and told them the location. After that call the car stopped giving GPS despite multiple refreshes. I then called the Garda and let them know the update and that I called the PSNI also. Then at around 7.40am the Garda car arrived and just took a witness statement.

Its a sad state of affairs if neither police service made an attempt to find the car after you gave them precise GPS location and direction.

It would seem all they wanted to do was fill in the paperwork to allow you claim on your insurance. Thats not policing if thats all they did.

They may not actually have the resources available as silly as that sounds.

And NO that's not an acceptable reason :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DeanH544

Its a sad state of affairs if neither police service made an attempt to find the car after you gave them precise GPS location and direction.

It would seem all they wanted to do was fill in the paperwork to allow you claim on your insurance. Thats not policing if thats all they did.

I can't speak for either (agency?) of course, but based on my calls with them it did seem like the PSNI gave it a good go. I got a call back from a constable who was on the road looking for the car asking for further GPS updates, however the signal had unfortunately stopped at this time.

With the Gardai it genuinely did just come across as a paperwork exercise. Telling me things like, across the border means it's basically gone, robbed to order etc. They never even asked about the GPS when they arrived until the PSNI called me (a lady from dispatch, before the constable's call) and I had them on speaker as I was with the Gardai at this time.
    samih wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about you car DeanH544. Sounds like you'll get to enjoy another new L40 soon enough.

Hopefully this one will be around for more than a month this time :(

SIDE NOTE:
    Not to hijack this thread all together, but the insurance situation of it all is an absolute bloody nightmare too!

Apparently because my car is currently reported stolen my insurance policy which normally covers me to drive other vehicles is no longer valid. Meaning the plan of borrowing my dads car went out the window. The insurance company advised me to get myself added to my dad's policy, which seemed like a logical approach. Until we called dad's insurance and they informed us that I can not be added to the policy while a claim is in place on my policy. I also can't add my dad's car to my policy because it's already insured on his policy.

This means despite having a car available to use for commuting to work, I can not use it. Meaning now I have to deal with potentially getting a rental or something... absolute nightmare. (insurance company offers a courtesy car for five days (after 24hrs of my car being stolen), something tells me this won't be resolved within 5 days though)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I can't speak for either (agency?) of course, but based on my calls with them it did seem like the PSNI gave it a good go. I got a call back from a constable who was on the road looking for the car asking for further GPS updates, however the signal had unfortunately stopped at this time.

With the Gardai it genuinely did just come across as a paperwork exercise. Telling me things like, across the border means it's basically gone, robbed to order etc. They never even asked about the GPS when they arrived until the PSNI called me (a lady from dispatch, before the constable's call) and I had them on speaker as I was with the Gardai at this time.

Well thats good. At least they put a car out to look for it. Thats what you'd want/expect.

Pity you lost the GPS location. 30mins earlier might have made the difference.

They obviously got to their destination at that point and probably had the car disabled or in a container where mobile signal wouldnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

I recall seeing a post about a leaf being stolen before, but can't seem to locate it. So hope its applicable to post here instead.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the ordeal of their L40 being stolen. Woke up this morning to find my 191 L40 gone, both keys in the house still and no signs of a break in.

Had the Nissan connect app connecting to the GPS until the car got north of the border.

Mainly wondering if anyone has had success recovering the vehicle with the built in GPS... or if theres a tracking mechanism in terms of when its charging that I'm not aware of?

Sorry to hear about your Leaf. We had a new Leaf stolen last September from my driveway - no keys required like yourself. The thieves obviously just did the signal-boosting thing to make the car think the keys were nearby and simply pressed the little button on the door to unlock it. They were gone in a couple of minutes. Car never seen again. It wasn't noticed gone until a few hours later by which stage it was probably across the border or on a ferry.
    Our insurer - FBD - declare it gone after 30 days but only hire you a replacement car for a week. For the rest we borrowed a car - there was no problem transferring the policy to the borrowed car so maybe FBD have different rules to your insurer. Once declared stolen, the policy offers a new-for-old replacement or the value to sort it out yourself. We opted to let them source a new car for us but that took quite some time (there's a wait list) and in hindsight we should have taken the money and bought a cheap runabout for the near 3 months wait for a new Leaf.
    We now have a new one and I keep the keys in a faraday bag (available in Halfords or online) and I've also disabled the door unlocking button from within the car setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

JohnxF wrote: »
    I've also disabled the door unlocking button from within the car setup.

Once this is done - the Leaf should be safe enough yeah?

Sorry to hear about the car being stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Once this is done - the Leaf should be safe enough yeah?

Sorry to hear about the car being stolen.

If you have the keys in a faraday cage/bag then the button should not be able to do anything as the car will not think the key is nearby at any stage. So disabling the button is a belt-and-braces thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Who needs a Leaf stolen to order?

Seriously like.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Sorry also for this loss of your car. Am also in North Kildare with an L40, not yet stolen..., and there seems to be a spate in this part of the country. How many I wonder are disappearing up north? It must be one gang, like the JCB ATM breakers, who are doing this in the area. I turn off keyless at home, and know I should install security lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I hear that in some countries a L40 battery pack in the L24 is a thing these days. So most likely the cars are broken into parts and used to repair crashed cars and ones with bad batteries. So import a L24 with dead battery cheaply and get upgrade to 40 kWh from the grey market. Don't ask too many question about the origins of your new pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I hear that in some countries a L40 battery pack in the L24 is a thing these days. So most likely the cars are broken into parts and used to repair crashed cars and ones with bad batteries. So import a L24 with dead battery cheaply and get upgrade to 40 kWh from the grey market. Don't ask too many question about the origins of your new pack.

Would it fit? I would expect the L40 pack to be a lot bigger

• Advertisement

It's physically the same size as any 24/30 pack revisions. The only exception is the L62 whose battery is slightly taller. The cell voltages are sligthly different between different chemistries (and cause the GOM and charge readings being inaccurate) and on the 2011/12 LEAFs the connectors require an adaptor. But physically you can fit 40 pack into any 2011-> LEAF.

The battery pack/BMS will also need to be paired with the new car which Nissan won't do but there are different ways around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Had the Nissan connect app connecting to the GPS until the car got north of the border.

How do you do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I'm in the gang, just got my new LEAF. Loving it so far.

Can anyone recommend some extras or accessories? I can't see much on the Nissan website. I'm going to get the boot liner and wouldn't mind seeing what else is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It's physically the same size as any 24/30 pack revisions. The only exception is the L62 whose battery is slightly taller. The cell voltages are sligthly different between different chemistries (and cause the GOM and charge readings being inaccurate) and on the 2011/12 LEAFs the connectors require an adaptor. But physically you can fit 40 pack into any 2011-> LEAF.

The battery pack/BMS will also need to be paired with the new car which Nissan won't do but there are different ways around it.

How does rapidgate fair in this retrofit?????.

Is it a case of she will keep heating up on full speed rapid charging until something triggers turtle mode due to excess heat.

Or does pairing the BMS include having to take on rapidgate software????

Old diesel wrote: »
    How does rapidgate fair in this retrofit?????.

Is it a case of she will keep heating up on full speed rapid charging until something triggers turtle mode due to excess heat.

Or does pairing the BMS include having to take on rapidgate software????

The BMS is in the battery module and it's the boss as far as the charging speeds are concerned. But as the 40 kWh battery needs to be paired with the other modules in the car who knows how it's done. I'm sure the infrormation is availabe somewhere is you read Russian. Most likely the battery modules of the existing pack are replaced with the bigger modules but it could also be that the "locals" have gotten around the Nissan security systems and can transplant the full pack into a different car without issues. In theory you could just build in a full L40 into any Leaf as the shell is the same. Just swap the dash and all the wiring looms modules and the drivetrain.

It's better use the correct BMS as the 24 kWh BMS couldn't optimally charge the cells of a different chemistry due to slightly different voltages. And and any case the GOM would be way off due to wrong discharge profile programmed in it. For example if you use the 30 kWh cells in a 24 kWh car the car will go through the first 2/3 of the charge indicator really quickly and the low battery warnings would show when there is still a lots of charge left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Maybe in future batteries would be including DRM to prevent users from swapping them without control of manufacturer. Cost of running system could be covered by small increase in service price and if someone is going to service in independent garage or use battery for domestic purposes once car is scrapped they would pay small monthly fee to car manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Fitz2011

Are they putting up the price of the L40 in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Fitz2011 wrote: »

It's already increased nearly 2k across the water :eek:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/nissan-leaf-electric-car-price-increased-uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Time to get rid of 10k subsidies

Autogiants are all taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Fitz2011

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Time to get rid of 10k subsidies

Autogiants are all taking the piss

Yeah I’d have to agree. It’s already overpriced for what it is. Can’t see how they can justify increasing it. Madness

• Advertisement

Nissan now know what the Kona, Niro, Model 3 and now the ID.3 cost and they’ve realised competition isn’t as hot as it could have been.

Every new EV reveal has been a disappointment on price and/or availability.

Nissan now know what the Kona, Niro, Model 3 and now the ID.3 cost and they’ve realised competition isn’t as hot as it could have been.

The affordable EV scene here is a sad state of affairs

In 5 years the range has gone up 100km ( EPA) and price up €7000, all the while battery prices have supposedly gone down massively, its a joke

A 200km affordable EV in 2019 ( Leaf, Ioniq etc) are €30,000 - €28,000 give or take

While back in the day in 2014 a 100km Leaf XE trim was €21,000

Zero progress been made in 5 years

We've gone backwards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

icom wrote: »

Bang on, simple supply and demand, they will increase the price as folk are willing to pay it due to brutal supply from competitors

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A major change in a product is always an opportunity to alter the price point with the consumer.

I think it is good news, as it suggest there is strong demand for EVs. It also means possible better resale value for current owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

September1 wrote: »
    it suggest there is strong demand for EVs.

Yes that's been clear for well over a year now. There simply is more demand for EVs new or second hand than there is supply
    September1 wrote: »
    It also means possible better resale value for current owners.

Yes it does. In many cases second hand bought EVs are worth more now than the current owner paid for them in the past. Negative depreciation.

I disagree this is good news though. I prefer if there was mass supply of new EVs at reasonable prices (i.e. a €25k VW Neo on the road or a €15k Dacia EV with very basic specs and a small battery - on the road)

This would be much better for the uptake of EVs. Even though it would hurt my own pocket, the greater good is what's at stake here.

unkel wrote: »
    I disagree this is good news though. I prefer if there was mass supply of new EVs at reasonable prices (i.e. a €25k VW Neo on the road or a €15k Dacia EV with very basic specs and a small battery - on the road)

The more profitable EVs are, the more new entrants to market there will be. More competition should drive innovation and reduce prices. After all final consumer of EVs are their owners, so the more you hit their pockets, the slower is absorption on new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

unkel wrote:

This would be much better for the uptake of EVs. Even though it would hurt my own pocket, the greater good is what's at stake here.

Absolutely this. EVs must not be seen almost as some sort of a luxury product with massive premiums over ICEs.

It's already really late in terms of climate change and pollution as it stands and further delays of EV roll-out due to unaffordability is not good news at all.

Also not good that the price is going up when state subsidies are still in play. The idea should be that the prices reduce and then you remove the subsidy. We are going the wrong direction.

I don’t see it changing anytime soon due to battery costs.

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    Absolutely this. EVs must not be seen almost as some sort of a luxury product with massive premiums over ICEs.

It's already really late in terms of climate change and pollution as it stands and further delays of EV roll-out due to unaffordability is not good news at all.

Even with the 10k subsidy they are unaffordable and not competitive

What's the price of the 200km Leaf40 now with the price hike €41,000?, less the €10,000 subsidy bringing it to €31,000, get some ICE car for that

Without the 10k subsidy a 15k Dacia or 25k VW ID is not going to happen for years

Autogiants are loving it as they don't want to sell them and know no alternative exist's from new player's.

At this stage the Government might as well put that €10,000 into solar, wind or something to reach it's targets and let the Autogiants get huge fines from the EU cause no one is buying a Leaf here for €41,000

They won't be long making them affordable then

Advertisement