Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

That's him straight to Bellator so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yair-Zabit would have been incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Proper order that he's been released. I wish the UFC would do that more and more.

It used to be a case that you fought who you were told to fight - and that's what made the UFC in particular, so great. You didn't have fighters ducking each other like you have in professional boxing.

Sadly, Conor's meteoric rise to fame and the wealth that's come with it has everyone else looking to imitate him without having nearly half of the draw he has. The feckin' moneyfight has been a bane on the UFC for a while now.

Hopefully this is a return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Proper order that he's been released. I wish the UFC would do that more and more.

It used to be a case that you fought who you were told to fight - and that's what made the UFC in particular, so great. You didn't have fighters ducking each other like you have in professional boxing.

Sadly, Conor's meteoric rise to fame and the wealth that's come with it has everyone else looking to imitate him without having nearly half of the draw he has. The feckin' moneyfight has been a bane on the UFC for a while now.

Hopefully this is a return to form.

I don't think Yair was looking for a money fight. He got a fair clipping from Eddie, and he's been out for a year, so probably wanted a tune up fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

cletus wrote: »
    I don't think Yair was looking for a money fight. He got a fair clipping from Eddie, and he's been out for a year, so probably wanted a tune up fight

Exactly - that's whats wrong. It doesn't have to be a money fight but you should fight who you're told to fight by the matchmakers. Declining fights because you don't deem them worthy is what stagnates divisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Exactly - that's whats wrong. It doesn't have to be a money fight but you should fight who you're told to fight by the matchmakers. Declining fights because you don't deem them worthy is what stagnates divisions.

Sorry point I was trying to make was that he didn't deem them not worthy, but too difficult after a year layoff. He's a good prospect, and the UFC have a history of burning up good prospects by relentlesly pitting them against each other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

UFC has let far too many decent talent go. Off the top of my head:

Rory
    Mousassi
    Bader
    Davis
    Horiguchi
    Yair

^ should all still be in the UFC. Also they have not found a new draw in a long time.

Dern is an absolute embarrassment.

Miss weight again?

That Brazilian booty has it's downsides.

Miss weight again?

Came in at 123. 3rd time in 7 pro fights.

She's hardly the most shredded of fighters either. Could easily make it if she put the work in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Miss weight again?

Only for her :)

I presume she missed weight again, that's the common one

The best bit is she posted a photo the other day with a set of scales from one of her sponsors that was great at letting her track body fat, water weight etc.

She's hardly the most shredded of fighters either. Could easily make it if she put the work in.

She cuts a lot of weight but as you said, she's not exactly shredded, she's always had a bit of cushion on the back end. she got away with it when she was younger competing in BJJ but as she's got older she's just filled out a bit and is naturally bigger. She needs to either decide she want's to go super low body fat percentage and stay at 115 or bulk up a bit and go 125, she's helping nobody as it stands.

UFC will probably just tell her it's 125 of bust now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Porthallian

So it's ABC vs 123? :)

UFC will probably just tell her it's 125 of bust now though.

She's a pretty white girl. Wouldn't be surprised to see them give her another chance at 115 but 125 is clearly where she needs to be. Suspect she'd get absolutely mauled up there though.

Having seen the video, it really doesn't look like she put too much into the cut attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

weemcd wrote: »

Rory
    Mousassi
    Bader
    Davis
    Horiguchi
    Yair

^ should all still be in the UFC. Also they have not found a new draw in a long time.

One of the earliert shock releases was Jon Fitch. That was some time ago and hes fighting Paul Daley this weekend as it happens.

Dern vs Cooper going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

She's a pretty white girl. Wouldn't be surprised to see them give her another chance at 115 but 125 is clearly where she needs to be. Suspect she'd get absolutely mauled up there though.

Having seen the video, it really doesn't look like she put too much into the cut attempt.

Dafuq has her skin colour got to do with anything?

Dafuq has her skin colour got to do with anything?
    See: Paige VanZant, Ronda Rousey etc

Tazzimus wrote: »
    See: Paige VanZant, Ronda Rousey etc

Paige is over hyped but Rousey was legitimately destroying all contenders at the time.

I still don't get the reference to skin colour though , what is she benefiting from being white?

• Advertisement

Paige is over hyped but Rousey was legitimately destroying all contenders at the time.

I still don't get the reference to skin colour though , what is she benefiting from being white?
    Until Holly came along and made her look like an amateur.
    Ronda has good Judo but that's it, and it was exposed badly against Holly.

What he was getting at is the UFC has a tendency to push the good looking white girls over others

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Until Holly came along and made her look like an amateur.
    Ronda has good Judo but that's it, and it was exposed badly against Holly.

What he was getting at is the UFC has a tendency to push the good looking white girls over others

Name me a good looking black girl that they could push? And how is dern getting pushed? I haven't seen anything about her at all only articles on missed cuts

Again with Rousey, she was savaging everyone at the time. Hindsight an all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

She's a pretty white girl. Wouldn't be surprised to see them give her another chance.
    Tyron Woodley is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Dern is never going to the top really based on current information available about her. Has openly said she only trains when she feels like it, got thrown out of her gym (or "invited to leave" as she put it), and regularly misses weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Stocks of these scales will be through the floor.

https://twitter.com/allanstaples/status/994952098281328640?s=19

Name me a good looking black girl that they could push? And how is dern getting pushed? I haven't seen anything about her at all only articles on missed cuts

Again with Rousey, she was savaging everyone at the time. Hindsight an all that.
    Why do they have to be good looking though? That was the point he was trying to make (I think)

She was savaging them cos they had no power really and she could walk through whatever they threw to get the clinch. All that stopped with Holly, and then later again with Amanda

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Dern should just stick with womens BJJ. Easier for her to make weight, and she could be legitimately the womens GOAT if she kept going the way she was

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

weemcd wrote: »

Rory
    Mousassi
    Bader
    Davis
    Horiguchi
    Yair

Rory or mousassi had me scratching my head, fans loved them and they were ultimate pros
    Bader was always thereabouts without being a contender
    I was jumping with joy when Davis was cut

Fitch was a big surprise at that time given his record
    Yair was good to watch so that's a shame but unlike in fitchs days they have any amount of talent to replace a lot of these guys nowaday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Fight broke out at the Bamma presser, Kiely I think it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Lukker- wrote: »
    Dern should just stick with womens BJJ. Easier for her to make weight, and she could be legitimately the womens GOAT if she kept going the way she was

Yeah but most people will go where the money is these days, can't imagine she would be getting as much for competing in BJJ as she would in the UFC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement