Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Inquitus wrote: »

Not sure about Servus TV but for orf you need a decoder card that you only get if you pay the public fee and are living in Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Anyone planning on buying the F1 2020 video game? I'm going to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There were some wild rumours that Giovonazzi would drive the next race for Ferrari in place of Vettel. Probably extremely unlikely. Since then:

Drivers are required to self isolate in place between races. And are required to not leave their "bubble" which is typically their trainer and a friend or girlfriend. Many countries are making exceptions to their quarantine rules to allow F1 to go ahead on this basis.

LeClerc and Bottas have both flown to Monaco this week, the only drivers believed to have left Austria.

Leclerc was pictured in Monaco with his arms around fans taking selfies, not wearing a mask and not social distancing.

Discussions are ongoing whether to cancel the race given LeClerc has already returened to Austria or to ban LeClerc from this race if not the next few races. Rumour is Giovonazzi is being prepped to drive for Ferrari, possibly Kubica in for Giovonazzi. The possibility of just a grid penalty is also on the table.

The current really crazy rumour that will never happen is that Kimi and Giovonazzi will drive for Ferrari this week with Kubica and Wherlein in at Alfa Romeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I guess I'm late with my news then. I would have liked the excitement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

GarIT wrote: »
    I guess I'm late with my news then. I would have liked the excitement.

First I heard of the story was your post, so don’t feel too bad. I assumed they would all stay in Austria for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Bought it. Looks good so far. I dumped alot of hours into it last year so hoping it's the same again. Drove the new viatnam track there. Not a fan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

First I heard of the story was your post, so don’t feel too bad. I assumed they would all stay in Austria for the week.

An Autosport reporter broke the story early afternoon but initially it didn't gain much traction . Warnings have been given but there are stories doing the rounds tonight that a tougher stance might be taken against Ferrari as it's their second offence and warning - wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Multi 21 aside

I agree Vettel not having a seat is a pity, but he has himself to blame with his performances last couple years for that as much as circumstances

Bottas is the best driver for the 2nd Mercedes seat, but probably not the 2nd best driver out there

Things weren't always smooth between Ricciardo and Max, and considering how things looked in 2019 I'm not sure Vettel and Max would end up any different than Vettel and Leclerc, Red Bull might well want to steer clear

Bottas definitely isn't the second best driver out there. He's good alright, and he's fast enough to be Hamilton's no2 (fast enough to beat him on occasion, as we saw last week). He's excellent value for money.

Seb is a 4time world champion so his wages are sky high. His performance is in a big slump, he's been beaten by a bloody rookie teammate (both in qualifying and race points) and he keeps crashing and making big mistakes in races. His wage demands can't be met by his performance and he's terrible value for money.

Kimi was willing to take a midfield wage and midfield car to match his midfield performance level these days. So he's pretty good value for money. That's pretty unusual for a driver to reduce their expectations in line with their performance level, but it makes him employable. The strongest part of Vettel's appeal isn't his performance level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Done my first two races on ‘My Team’ and its decent so far

First race i finished a fair 19th, 2nd race i cost myself points by going for a 2nd run on old tyres by accident in Q2 and somehow got through which then meant i had to do a 2 stop in the race

Have Mick Schumacher as my 2nd driver for ‘Ireland Abú, in my green getup

Driving wise im seeing not a lot of difference so far, the new ERS mode is handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thats a disgrace. All you need is one guy taking the piss like that and the whole system fall down.
    What if half his mechanics got covid now?
    He should face automatic 14 day exclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Just watching FP1 and they had Christian Horner on, he said Vettel definitely not to Red Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mugello confirmed for the 13th of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Mugello on the 13th and Sochi on the 27th (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hopefully the virus will flare up again in Russia in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

This is it wrote: »
    Just watching FP1 and they had Christian Horner on, he said Vettel definitely not to Red Bull

And when do we ever believe what Horner says :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

astrofluff wrote: »
    And when do we ever believe what Horner says :D

Red bull were not going to drop Gasly this time last year lest we forget. They are not exactly known for showing their hand in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

mickdw wrote: »
    Thats a disgrace. All you need is one guy taking the piss like that and the whole system fall down.
    What if half his mechanics got covid now?
    He should face automatic 14 day exclusion.

I'm a fan of LeClerc, and as much as I want to see him race, I have to agree. Bloody stupid carry on.

I'm a fan of LeClerc, and as much as I want to see him race, I have to agree. Bloody stupid carry on.

Same as that. I like him but, have a bit of cop on FFS. I wonder if there would have been a bigger consequence if he wasn't driving for Ferrari. But in fairness, I imagine everyone involved is being checked regularly. Still very stupid behavior.

All the teams have reserve drivers at the ready so they really should have set an early example - d1ck around and miss a race weekend. The result would be near zero dicking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

recyclebin wrote: »
    I watched the grand prix on RTL at the weekend. I think I counted 7 or 8 ad breaks. 4 of them were before any ad breaks. It was the most frustrating viewing ever!!! Worse than anything on ITV ever had.

I often timed the Rtl ads at 5 or 6 minutes, painful.
    Had BBC 5 live synced with it so still heard if anything happened.
    Had no signal on the dish on sunday no mater mater what, only to find that branches on the tree blocked it as it wasn't used since Abu Dhabi last year. Luckily had a backup Sky stream that worked perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

quokula wrote: »
    Multi 21 kind of proves that they didn't have a team order philosophy given that it was them asking their top driver not to attack and overtake their second driver in order to preserve reliability. Mercedes or the current Ferrari management would have asked them to swap.

I think Multi 21 proves that Vettel will prob never follow team orders that would be of benefit to anyone but himself, hes the most self-centred driver out there. Verstappen a close second, both of whom have been hugely indulged by Red Bull.
    (>>> Russia 2019 with Ferrari anyone?)

Red Bull do gerenally let the drivers race ( which is a good thing) and let the hierarchy be decided purely on pace.

Vettel and Webber were both equal status, so no reason to give a race to Vettel that Webber had got to lead on merit.

(**RB did always favor Vettel though.)

Vettel has confirmed he is talking to Renault about 2021.
    Alonso and Vettel in the same team would be amazing to see.

Alonso said what got him thinking about returning to F1 was an offer from Aston Martin for 2021. Which indicates they are willing to buy out Perez's contact or drop Stroll for the right driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

GarIT wrote: »
    Vettel has confirmed he is talking to Renault about 2021.
    Alonso and Vettel in the same team would be amazing to see.

Alonso said what got him thinking about returning to F1 was an offer from Aston Martin for 2021. Which indicates they are willing to buy out Perez's contact or drop Stroll for the right driver.

Imagine trying to manage Alonso and Vettel!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Imagine trying to manage Alonso and Vettel!

Ciril Abeitboul doesn't strike me as the best manager either.

Apparently the reasoning for this is that with the cost cap coming in and driver salaries being excluded Renault think good drivers will be more important than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I see the Mugello GP will be Ferrari's 1000th Grand Prix. Yikes, with that dog of a car it won't be much of a celebration on their own circuit.

Is it fair to say the ferrari is the slowest engine this year? Has Honda finally overtaken someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is it fair to say the ferrari is the slowest engine this year? Has Honda finally overtaken someone?
    Despite the odds being in their favor forever as a legacy team, yes they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There'll be serious rumblings outside the motorsports division of Ferrari if they start getting beaten consistently by Mclaren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Looking at how fast both Mercedes and Racing Point are, I'm wondering if Mercedes made a big engine performance leap over the winter? That in turn is making Ferrari look even worse than they are. Everyone else bar Red Bull are miles behind, and Williams are a second faster than last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Looking at how fast both Mercedes and Racing Point are, I'm wondering if Mercedes made a big engine performance leap over the winter? That in turn is making Ferrari look even worse than they are. Everyone else bar Red Bull are miles behind, and Williams are a second faster than last year

I wouldn't be a big Ferrari fan, but Maranello closing for the guts of 2 months because of covid while everyone else was open and continuing development seemed very unfair, even more so now looking at the gap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement