Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

So Sebastian had asked Martin Brundle to do an interview after the race. The rather unorthodox request of course has the rumour mill spinning that he might be about to announce his retirement. If true, I wonder will he see out the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

It was hilarious last week when the commentators had already decided the incident wasn’t Hamiltons fault in a split second before they even seen a replay. Unbelievably biased. They’re a British channel though, so I suppose they should be.

I take it you don’t watch much live sport? Commentators often call things incorrectly as they have to keep talking about events as they happen. If they only commented on replays they would be quite superfluous. I thought they cleared that one up pretty well after the replays anyway, and the point about Albon being more patient was still valid even after it became clear the collision was Hamilton’s fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Haas have offered Vettel a seat should he want it

https://www.gpfans.com/amp/article.php?id=54272

Anjobe wrote: »
    I take it you don’t watch much live sport? Commentators often call things incorrectly as they have to keep talking about events as they happen. If they only commented on replays they would be quite superfluous. I thought they cleared that one up pretty well after the replays anyway, and the point about Albon being more patient was still valid even after it became clear the collision was Hamilton’s fault.

You mustn’t have seen it then, it was completely biased. The contact was barely finished and Coulthard had completely absolved him. Anyway, like I said, nothing wrong with it. There’s far too much bias going out of sport these days and I like to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Top Dog wrote: »
    So Sebastian had asked Martin Brundle to do an interview after the race. The rather unorthodox request of course has the rumour mill spinning that he might be about to announce his retirement. If true, I wonder will he see out the season?

Has it changed to after this race? IIRC it was originally Thursday before Hungary

• Advertisement

Has it changed to after this race? IIRC it was originally Thursday before Hungary

https://youtu.be/Sy2La1Wr1t4

About 2 mins in - mentions after the GP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Top Dog wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Sy2La1Wr1t4

About 2 mins in - mentions after the GP

Might be a decent one after getting punted out so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If Gene Haas wants to stay around in Formula 1, it might be worth a look to see if Honda can be convinced to supply a 3rd team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Another last lap performance by Lando Norris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Hungary has introduced very strict restrictions on UK and non EU citizens that have probably changed the scheduling of the interview.

Since Haas is supposed to be up for sale I can see the Vettel offer as being publicity seeking only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Maybe I’m wrong but did Brundle not talk about this meeting request during the race and thought rumors of a retirement announcement were nonsense?

Could be just putting people off but it surely is some sort of announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Anjobe wrote: »
    All commentators have agendas and are biased even if they strive to remain impartial during live broadcasts. This is evident in Sky coverage. Brundle clearly has a huge admiration of and is biased in favour of Hamilton and, to a lesser extent, Sainz. Croft, on the other hand, is clearly a major Verstappen fan whilst Paul Di Resta seems to detest every driver on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I'm still hoping for Vettel to get a Mercedes drive and Bottas to Aston Martin.

Will never happen but would be great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Renault is appealing the pink Mercedes as of being too much of a Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Renault are protesting against the legality of the Racing Point cars!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

chicorytip wrote: »
    All commentators have agendas and are biased even if they strive to remain impartial during live broadcasts. This is evident in Sky coverage. Brundle clearly has a huge admiration of and is biased in favour of Hamilton and, to a lesser extent, Sainz. Croft, on the other hand, is clearly a major Verstappen fan whilst Paul Di Resta seems to detest every driver on the grid.

DiResta is all together a bit painful most of the time. Can't see that he offers much to the broadcasts and Karun Chandhook / Anthony Davison are much better at breaking down the action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Renault accusing another team of cheating? Well I never!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Harika wrote: »
    Renault is appealing the pink Mercedes as of being too much of a Mercedes.

This is only going to get worse as Not Force India get to understand the car and extract more and more performance out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    This is only going to get worse as Not Force India get to understand the car and extract more and more performance out of it.

Then not just Renault but Red Bull and McLaren no doubt will appeal them to of being basically a Merc in Pink clothes. Interesting season ahead on this so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

astrofluff wrote: »
    Renault are protesting against the legality of the Racing Point cars!

Don't think they'll get very far with that. Smacks of being bad losers protesting after this race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Don't think they'll get very far with that. Smacks of being bad losers protesting after this race.

Ah, you say that but its obviously a case of merc collaboration with Racing Point. If someone ripped off your ideas without your permission they YOU'D be the one protesting it. It wouldn't come down to Renault and McLaren's and red bull protesting.

It's a case of someone from merc "accidentally" leaving the specs for last year's car behind when they met their mate from racing point for coffee or something similar. If it was possible ti replicate last year's merc from photos of the merc as Racing Point claims, then everyone would be able to do the same.

But ultimately the fact that Mercedes hasn't protested means they're almost certainly working together on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What's the benefit to Mercedes, a championship winning team, helping an all-so-ran like RP break the regs? I can't imagine why they'd do it.

What's the benefit to Mercedes, a championship winning team, helping an all-so-ran like RP break the regs? I can't imagine why they'd do it.

I dont pretend to know the details. But why hasn't Mercedes protested? Why have the other teams protested, but not Mercedes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I dont pretend to know the details. But why hasn't Mercedes protested? Why have the other teams protested, but not Mercedes?

Probably because they're not in competition with the Racing Points. Everyone else is under threat of being beaten by them in the races, not so much the Mercs.

Glico Man wrote: »
    Probably because they're not in competition with the Racing Points. Everyone else is under threat of being beaten by them in the races, not so much the Mercs.

That would be one reason to help them alright.

Why has racing point been the only team to be able to replicate another team's car through pictures or scanning or wherever they claim? Why have they replicated last year's car but never thought to replicate the current car? And Mercedes is fine with it? It looks a whole lot like an arrangement between them.

That would be one reason to help them alright.

Why has racing point been the only team to be able to replicate another team's car through pictures or scanning or wherever they claim? Why have they replicated last year's car but never thought to replicate the current car? And Mercedes is fine with it? It looks a whole lot like an arrangement between them.

At a guess because you'd have to copy it wholesale rather than just bits from here and there. Engine packaging being another area where only they and Williams could directly copy Mercedes. Adding a bargeboard or front wing element on a Ferrari copying a Mercedes element won't put the air in the "right"place for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Renault accusing another team of cheating? Well I never!!!!!!
    So are you saying Renault should keep their mouth shut and not complain about Racing Point then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I wouldn't be a conspiracy theorist.
    BUT,
    Didn't Toto buy shares in Aston Martin recently?
    RP being owned by Daddy Stroll
    Daddy stroll invested in failing Aston Martin recently.
    RP rebadged as Aston Martin next year.
    Good publicity for the failing Aston Martin brand which in turn could be good for both their investments?
    After all, Isn't that what Toto does? ( Investments ) among other things?

But hey, that's just me thinking outside the box. :D

In its simplest form its marketing. if a Mercedes powered car is doing well in the midfield then it makes Mercedes look better. Look at Ferrari as a perfect example of the opposite at the moment - their engine is down on power so the teams they supply are struggling.

Williams is an exception to this sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BikeRacer

vectra wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a conspiracy theorist.
    BUT,
    Didn't Toto buy shares in Aston Martin recently?
    RP being owned by Daddy Stroll
    Daddy stroll invested in failing Aston Martin recently.
    RP rebadged as Aston Martin next year.
    Good publicity for the failing Aston Martin brand which in turn could be good for both their investments?
    After all, Isn't that what Toto does? ( Investments ) among other things?

But hey, that's just me thinking outside the box. :D

In addition to that - Daimler also owns a 5 percent stake in Aston Martin.
    Tobias Moers, Aston Martins new CEO, is the outgoing Mercedes AMG CEO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement