Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Looking at how fast both Mercedes and Racing Point are, I'm wondering if Mercedes made a big engine performance leap over the winter? That in turn is making Ferrari look even worse than they are. Everyone else bar Red Bull are miles behind, and Williams are a second faster than last year

Nope. They are only up .3 seconds on last season. I'd say that's within the relm of expected between minor engine upgrades and aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

GarIT wrote: »
    Nope. They are only up .3 seconds on last season. I'd say that's within the relm of expected between minor engine upgrades and aero.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I'm talking about realative performances between teams. All of the Mercedes powered teams have found pace over the winter, whereas the Ferrari powered ones are the opposite. The improvement of the former is making the loss of the latter look bigger than it is.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I'm talking about realative performances between teams. All of the Mercedes powered teams have found pace over the winter, whereas the Ferrari powered ones are the opposite. The improvement of the former is making the loss of the latter look bigger than it is.

I disagree. Ferari are down something like .9 seconds on last year. As are all of their customers. Mercedes has made small incremental gains as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Is F1 carried on any (legally obtainable) channels other than Sky in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Russell just showcasing his ability again.

Fantastic result for Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

OSI wrote: »
    That's not true, FIA mandated all teams close factories and stop work related to car performance for a period of 63 days.

Like that really actually happened .....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Channel 4 do qualifying and race highlights on Saturday and Sunday at around 6.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What spec did Ferrari use today? Was it the all the new parts, last weeks car, or a mix of the two? The upgrades seem duff either way, and with the engines locked down til 2021 it's hard to see them improving things to an acceptable level in a hurry! They are in the deepest doodoo they have had car wise for many a year, this 2020 car seems likely to give the 2014 version a run for its money!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Binotto admits the upgrades don't work, Leclerc also gets a 3 place grid penalty for blocking Kvyat:
    Binotto called it a “really disappointing day” and said Ferrari must face up to the fact that “the stopwatch doesn’t ever lie” after it was outqualified by cars from Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren, Renault and AlphaTauri.

Charles Leclerc Ferrari Styrian Grand Prix 2020

“In two qualifying sessions, albeit in different conditions, we have not been competitive, not only against those who have been our closest rivals over the past few years, but also against others, who up to yesterday were generally behind us,” said Binotto.

“We worked very hard to bring updates to the car earlier than planned, but they didn’t show their worth on track.

“We have to work out why and change this state of affairs, which is just not good enough for a team by the name of Ferrari.

“We mustn’t get het up about it, but we cannot ignore the facts.”

https://the-race.com/formula-1/ferrari-updates-didnt-show-their-worth-leclerc-penalised/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inquitus wrote: »
    What spec did Ferrari use today? Was it the all the new parts, last weeks car, or a mix of the two? The upgrades seem duff either way, and with the engines locked down til 2021 it's hard to see them improving things to an acceptable level in a hurry! They are in the deepest doodoo they have had car wise for many a year, this 2020 car seems likely to give the 2014 version a run for its money!

They had planned an upgrade next weekend but they sh1t the bed last weekend anf decided to rush some of the aero parts for this week. So it was probably half of the intended upgrade.

Any individual upgrade is usually pretty subtle. So half an upgrade would probably be almost imperceptible.

• Advertisement

Im getting it on RTL (in German) on Astra 19.2E. It cost me the price of a second dish and a DiSEqC switch, and cabled it into my existing Satellite system. It's free but there are frequent adverts too.

That or a delayed broadcast from CH4

One thing I noticed today from the wet qualifying was the how the rain and spray gave away how the aero worked on some of the cars. What I saw from the front end of the Mercedes looked very impressive. It seemed like the air was separating around the front suspension and pushing the outwash away from the side pods to reduce drag. It was amazing and looked really clean whereas other cars - like the Ferrari - just looked uncontrolled.

Did anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I know the rain played its part today, making it harder to determine the differences in each team's performance. However, wouldn't you love to know what's going through Sainz's head now having qualified 3rd, and seeing what a s**tbox his car for next year is shaping up to be? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

The channel 4 f1 is shocking bad can they be any further up Lewis h1ole

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

naughto wrote: »

Lewis earned it today, you'd have to be obnoxiously biased against Hamilton not to see that.

One thing I noticed today from the wet qualifying was the how the rain and spray gave away how the aero worked on some of the cars. What I saw from the front end of the Mercedes looked very impressive. It seemed like the air was separating around the front suspension and pushing the outwash away from the side pods to reduce drag. It was amazing and looked really clean whereas other cars - like the Ferrari - just looked uncontrolled.

Did anyone else notice this?

I haven't seen the highlights yet but I'll keep an eye out for it.

One area that is a big concern is the bit between the middle of the front wing and along the nose cone. The vortex created along each side of the nose cone is the turbulent air that will have go either under the car or over it and is very hard to control. That's why they have the aero devices along the under side of the nose cone to try to control it as much as possible.

I'd say the air irks too energised to show up even in the wet conditions but I'll look out for the stuff you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think Channel 4 are doing a good job considering the circumstances and restrictions they are under. Lewis but in an amazing lap in the wat today. If it was Max or Bottas that done that lap then they would have praised them so to answer your question no.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

AMKC wrote: »
    I think Channel 4 are doing a good job considering the circumstances and restrictions they are under. Lewis but in an amazing lap in the wat today. If it was Max or Bottas that done that lap then they would have praised them so to answer your question no.

they are great in lots of ways but their brown nosing of lewis is very obvious. he can do no wrong in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

they are great in lots of ways but their brown nosing of lewis is very obvious. he can do no wrong in their eyes.

Maybe but I heard Sky is even worse and from the few times I have got to see a race live on Sky it's very obvious they are all Lewis. What do you expect do? They are British broadcast channels and he is British.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Maybe but I heard Sky is even worse and from the few times I have got to see a race live on Sky it's very obvious they are all Lewis. What do you expect do? They are British broadcast channels and he is British.
    its makes sense to the uk audience but its bloody annoying to everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭elperello

its makes sense to the uk audience but its bloody annoying to everyone else

I don't find it in the least annoying.

He's the class of the field and their coverage reflects that.

elperello wrote: »

i have no problem with saying he is a great driver. he is easily one of the greatest of all time. garanteed top 5 even by his haters

its the over the top brown nosing that annoys me. he can do no wrong. he crashes into an aponent and its not his fault,
    anything his fault is 50 50 . anything 50 50 is the other drivers fault, cars fault, weathers fault etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

i have no problem with saying he is a great driver. he is easily one of the greatest of all time. garanteed top 5 even by his haters

its the over the top brown nosing that annoys me. he can do no wrong. he crashes into an aponent and its not his fault,
    anything his fault is 50 50 . anything 50 50 is the other drivers fault, cars fault, weathers fault etc.

Typical example is Albon crash last week, Brindley, who I like most of the time, keeps saying Albon shoudve been more patient, even said it again today, if Lewis pulled off a move like that they'd have it in the highlights reel forever more as an example of what a god he is

elperello wrote: »

No. He's the class of the field but it doesn't mean they have to prostrate themselves before him. Great example last weekend when Hamilton diddled Albon and the first comment from Sky was that Albon should have been more patient.

They go out of their way to see any fault by Hamilton as someone else's fault and any success as a triumph by Hamilton. Its just plain bias.

It depends on whether to expect Sky to be impartially commenting on the events or to be making th best possible show to a British audience.

I doubt the RTE coverage was impartial to Jordan or Irvine in the late 90s.

Just wait for the British grand prix, the home of motorsport, the most challenging and entertaining track in the home country of every champion we can remember to list off, a special track that is important to a lot of drivers, fans and teams, the highlight of the season Silverston.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

flazio wrote: »
    Lewis earned it today, you'd have to be obnoxiously biased against Hamilton not to see that.

I wouldn't be a Lewis fan by any stretch of the imagination. But I have to agree with you 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

GarIT wrote: »
    Just wait for the British grand prix, the home of motorsport, the most challenging and entertaining track in the home country of every champion we can remember to list off, a special track that is important to a lot of drivers, fans and teams, the highlight of the season Silverston.

If you don’t like British coverage don’t watch it, otherwise suck it up and get over yourself. You can’t really expect coverage of international sport to be impartial. RTE’s coverage of rugby, for example, is far worse in this regard.

It was hilarious last week when the commentators had already decided the incident wasn’t Hamiltons fault in a split second before they even seen a replay. Unbelievably biased. They’re a British channel though, so I suppose they should be.

Anjobe wrote: »
    If you don’t like British coverage don’t watch it, otherwise suck it up and get over yourself. You can’t really expect coverage of international sport to be impartial. RTE’s coverage of rugby, for example, is far worse in this regard.

Unfortunately there aren't many other choices for watching in English without ads. I can accept that something is the best of a bad selection and then still complain about it.

• Advertisement

Watching the C4 quali highlights now. I really wish Stephen Jones would stop the set piece jokes. Really bad, scripted jokes. Like nails on a blackboard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement