Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

OK. But that's just total speculation. We have no idea what he actually did or didn't do. He might have provided feedback that was unhelpful or even counterproductive. We don't have a clue, if we're honest.

Depends if you think you know better than Seidl if we're honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

pjohnson wrote: »
    Depends if you think you know better than Seidl if we're honest.

And that depends on whether you believe the PR stuff they come out with.

Teams always say that stuff. We have no idea how much input the drivers have and whether it was good or bad input.

To illustrate the point I'll ask you this question: how much input did any of last year's individual drivers have on this year's car? Pick any driver you like just pick the one you have most evidence for the claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Villeneuve? Jasus that’s a bit tongue in cheek :pac: If you wanted to be serious you could say it was Jackie Stewart and Tyrrell as that’s where their teams foundations come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Gintonious wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Alonso back. (I am probably in the minority in this place with that) :)
    No, I'm with you, he's the best driver on the grid and deserves to be on the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ELM327 wrote: »
    No, I'm with you, he's the best driver on the grid and deserves to be on the grid

How can you say that when he is not even on the grid.:confused:

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    How can you say that when he is not even on the grid.:confused:
    Because he's the best driver from the new generation in the early-mid '00s. MSC is not here from the prior generation, so that just leaves Alonso.

Other than hamilton dominating in a car from a series above the others, and perhaps max outdriving poor equipment, who else is there?

Because he's the best driver from the new generation in the early-mid '00s. MSC is not here from the prior generation, so that just leaves Alonso.

Other than hamilton dominating in a car from a series above the others, and perhaps max outdriving poor equipment, who else is there?

I still don't see how you can predict he is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In this day and age, I don't think Alonso is a Hamilton beater if all things were equal.
    But he's not going to Renault to prove that he can beat Hamilton anyway so it's a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BikeRacer

It's always difficult to compare 2 drivers when they drive different machinery, but Alonso and Hamilton did have the same car, so it's easy to compare.
    Hamilton beat him. In his rookie year, he beat a then 2 time world champion. Alonso wasn't the best driver in his team, let alone the grid.

quokula wrote: »
    I wouldn’t mind going back to a time when F1 was actually exciting and competitive. When the product has been so utterly dire for the last 6 years, it might be smart and look back to what used to make F1 good.

I’m curious how many actual new fans F1 has acquired since 2014, and how many people are just holding out hope that one day it’ll be back to how it used to be.

Yeah butost people only engage with olden times F1 through a few iconic overtakes and really short highlight clips. The races with 5 overtakes all race don't make the highlights reels but they existed. The cars that were. 2/3 seconds off the pace also don't make the highlights reels of how conpetitive the sport uses to be.

With that said, I'm fully in favour of simplifying the aero to make them less sensitive to turbulent air. Pity it's been delayed until 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

flazio wrote: »
    In this day and age, I don't think Alonso is a Hamilton beater if all things were equal.
    But he's not going to Renault to prove that he can beat Hamilton anyway so it's a moot point.

Alonso's success is dependent on finding a car, like the renault back in the day, that suits his unique forced-oversteer/understeer driving style

duploelabs wrote: »
    Alonso's success is dependent on finding a car, like the renault back in the day, that suits his unique forced-oversteer/understeer driving style

That sounds like a real lack of adaptability. Never heard that was such a weakness for him.

The journalist that broke the Vettel leaving Ferrari news says Alonso will be confirmed this afternoon. Also hinting that there is an even bigger "silly season" shock to be announced tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

That sounds like a real lack of adaptability. Never heard that was such a weakness for him.

Well not to say he's not adaptable, but his forced-oversteer cornering technique worked in conjunction with the characteristics of the Renault at the time, and better than every other car he's sat in since.

This video explains it better than I could

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

The journalist that broke the Vettel leaving Ferrari news says Alonso will be confirmed this afternoon. Also hinting that there is an even bigger "silly season" shock to be announced tomorrow.

It’s that’s the driver merry go round will happen this season rather than next year.
    Vettel leaves Ferrari now, Sainz in his place and Ric to McLaren, etc...

Vettel to mercedes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Fernando to Renault is confirmed.

Yup 7 minutes ago so afternoon. Thats the first part of the tweet correct then!

Also the Renault DP World website has crashed :pac:

More amusing ammo for the "Alonso ruins everything he touches" crowd lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/renaultf1team

Vettel to mercedes?
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If that's the case expect Bottas car to suddenly start to loose lots of pace :pac:

I'd guess Vettel to Aston Martin. :cool:

• Advertisement

The only one who can be dropped is baby Stroll unless Daddy prises open the wallet to pay off Perez.

The only other thing I see is Vettel announcing his retirement from F1, I see Hamilton having a veto on who his team mate is regardless of what’s said publicly.

It's a kind of end of career gamble, schumacher esque, I suppose. If stroll money is behind it it could work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Also hinting that there is an even bigger "silly season" shock to be announced tomorrow.

Taki Inoue to drive the safety car at Hungary ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I've heard a similar rumour, Lance will take some time out of F1 and Vettel will replace him.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Taki Inoue to drive the safety car at Hungary ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

skipper_G wrote: »
    I've heard a similar rumour, Lance will take some time out of F1 and Vettel will replace him.

Yeah, not gonna happen. Only cockpits free next year will be Haas if still going, one sauber and one alpha tauri. Haas demise might be Vettel luck for teams being forced to supply three cars.

Harika wrote: »
    Yeah, not gonna happen. Only cockpits free next year will be Haas if still going, one sauber and one alpha tauri. Haas demise might be Vettel luck for teams being forced to supply three cars.

And you know this because??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

And you know this because??

Why would a young driver voluntarily give up his seat and sideline himself? Especially as his dad owns the team

Harika wrote: »
    Why would a young driver voluntarily give up his seat and sideline himself? Especially as his dad owns the team

Well, Ideally he wouldn't be giving up his seat. "Daddy" would tell him go sit in the corner.
    Again, that same "Daddy" would only want what would be best for the new Aston name on the team for publicity reasons.

• Advertisement

B1-B3-AE48-4-B41-4922-8-CB0-D033-DA61-F68-C.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement