Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Or he wins by a mile then they sack him on Monday.

Peak ferrari

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Don't see why Red Bull would want Vettel back. They already have one of, if not the fastest driver on the grid. What they need is a solid number 2 that can finish within a place or 2 of him and not cause any arguments, and Albon is shaping up to fit that role pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Don't see why Red Bull would want Vettel back. They already have one of, if not the fastest driver on the grid. What they need is a solid number 2 that can finish within a place or 2 of him and not cause any arguments, and Albon is shaping up to fit that role pretty well.

They don't have ther car to win the constructors without two top tier drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    If Vettel has his last race at Ferrari this weekend, I want an explosive exit. He takes Charlie L out of the race and proceeds to calls Binotto a wanker and tells him to go **** himself.

If Vettel want a to go out with a bang, at least take the Mercs out first, then LeClerc before binning it from P1 on the last lap

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

BikeRacer wrote: »
    It's always difficult to compare 2 drivers when they drive different machinery, but Alonso and Hamilton did have the same car, so it's easy to compare.
    Hamilton beat him. In his rookie year, he beat a then 2 time world champion. Alonso wasn't the best driver in his team, let alone the grid.

They both finished on the same points with each having 4 victories to their name.
    The only teammate who has ever out scored Alonso on points was button in 2015 and only by 5 points. Not bad for a driver who competed in 17 full seasons.
    I’m happy to see him back in f1, excellent driver looking forward to hopefully seeing an improved Renault package in ‘22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Aaand Nimmervoll is currently getting rightfully shredded. It appears his "shock news" was his own theory about Vettel possibly joining Red Bull....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Nice

"Formula 1 is expected to announce the next batch of 2020 race dates in the coming days with Mugello set to be the first new event on the updated schedule."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150436/mugello-to-be-confirmed-in-next-f1-calendar-update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Mugello? Yes please. Hopefully it can get a more permanent place on the calendar instead of the likes of Paul Ricard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Mugello is a monster track, its almost old school in its layout. Seeing modern F1 cars in the double right turns at the far end of Mugello would be amazing... if even only the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hopefully it can get a more permanent place on the calendar instead of the likes of Paul Ricard.

Paul Ricard circuit, made of tarmac and huge tube of aquafresh toothpaste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Paul Ricard circuit, made of tarmac and huge tube of aquafresh toothpaste.

Aye it looks hideous on the TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye it looks hideous on the TV!

The feedback must be almost unanimous on that. Amazing that they don't do anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Portimao, Portugal set to be confirmed also. Nice to see some new tracks for this season anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BikeRacer

Christian Nimmervoll, the guy who claimed there would be some 'sensational news' today has back tracked...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Or he wins by a mile then they sack him on Monday.

He may need a miracle for Ferrari for that to happen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

AMKC wrote: »
    He may need a miracle for Ferrari for that to happen.

All it would have taken this past Sunday is Bottas hitting a curb wrong in the last couple laps to hand Leclerc the win

Vettel openly saying if there was a drive offered by Red Bull, he'd take it.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1281248284359655426

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

What's the situation with the number of power unit components and gearboxes for the season given that they don't even know how many races there will be? How do the teams now how long each part needs to last?

Portimao should be good. If not the F2 race will be :p Mugello is an awful track for F1, even moreso with the current massive cars.

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Vettel openly saying if there was a drive offered by Red Bull, he'd take it.

I'm trying to imagine a meeting between Horner, Abiteboul, Zak Brown and Binotto

And them all asking Horner to take back Vettel so the deals can all commence, and the sh1t eating grin he would have

• Advertisement

If anyone watched the Netflix F1 documentary series (and you should), there was one scene where they asked Horner who was his favourite driver that he worked with, and obviously he was diplomatic and said something vague about the current ones, but his young daughter immediately chimed in in the background and said Vettel which was clearly the real answer.

Hardly surprising either, without Seb in the car previously, Red Bull would be a team with zero titles to their name. The car Vettel won his titles in was never good enough to claim second in the championship with another driver in the car.

Unlike Merc, and the current Ferrari management, I get the impression Red Bull are a team that are not afraid to have two top drivers. They've never really had team orders and their whole brand is around selling excitement and heroic drivers, rather than showing off their reliable and fuel efficient cars like the manufacturers. So it would make sense.

It would be a shame for Albon who's doing a decent job, but he hasn't been particularly close to Verstappen in reality and he's still young and has time to improve. It would be a crime for a driver like Vettel to not be in a top team while Albon and a third rate driver like Bottas are taking up top seats.

quokula wrote: »
    They've never really had team orders

Multi 21 aside

I agree Vettel not having a seat is a pity, but he has himself to blame with his performances last couple years for that as much as circumstances

Bottas is the best driver for the 2nd Mercedes seat, but probably not the 2nd best driver out there

Things weren't always smooth between Ricciardo and Max, and considering how things looked in 2019 I'm not sure Vettel and Max would end up any different than Vettel and Leclerc, Red Bull might well want to steer clear

Apparently Racing Point had approached Alonso to come drive for them, so if they're that serious about getting someone of that calibre (And either buying Perez out of contract or booting your own son out the door) I'd imagine Vettel has a seat there if he wants it.
    I also can't shake the feeling Toto will want to personally see his £8m Aston Martin investment put to good use.

So Ferrari upgrades, how much quicker do they make the car in a) Qualifying and b) Race. I am going to say 0.1s - 0.2s maximum.

Multi 21 aside

I agree Vettel not having a seat is a pity, but he has himself to blame with his performances last couple years for that as much as circumstances

Bottas is the best driver for the 2nd Mercedes seat, but probably not the 2nd best driver out there

Things weren't always smooth between Ricciardo and Max, and considering how things looked in 2019 I'm not sure Vettel and Max would end up any different than Vettel and Leclerc, Red Bull might well want to steer clear

Multi 21 kind of proves that they didn't have a team order philosophy given that it was them asking their top driver not to attack and overtake their second driver in order to preserve reliability. Mercedes or the current Ferrari management would have asked them to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

Sort some old boxes from the attic and I came across an old Jordan magazine, interesting page at the back showing grid position and finish or each of their drivers for 1st 12 years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Portimao should be good. If not the F2 race will be :p Mugello is an awful track for F1, even moreso with the current massive cars.

Portimao has lots of elevation changes, more than Red Bull Ring, should test the suspensions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Interesting :- my information suggests these are on the same Astra satellite (19.2E) that currently carries RTL which is ceasing its FTA coverage at the end of this year. If so, Free To Air coverage continues, albeit in German!!

https://www.f1technical.net/news/225941

Interesting :- my information suggests these are on the same Astra satellite (19.2E) that currently carries RTL which is ceasing its FTA coverage at the end of this year. If so, Free To Air coverage continues, albeit in German.

Austria is showing it on Free to air for 2021, not sure if you can pick up these chans from Satellite?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/07/red-bull-owned-tv-channel-to-broadcast-f1-in-austria/#:~:text=Red%20Bull%2Downed%20television%20channel,free%2Dto%2Dair%20television.&text=Servus%20TV%20and%20ORF%20have,year%20deal%20beginning%20next%20year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Interesting :- my information suggests these are on the same Astra satellite (19.2E) that currently carries RTL which is ceasing its FTA coverage at the end of this year. If so, Free To Air coverage continues, albeit in German!!

I watched the grand prix on RTL at the weekend. I think I counted 7 or 8 ad breaks. 4 of them were before any ad breaks. It was the most frustrating viewing ever!!! Worse than anything on ITV ever had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement